Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

Selected Poems includes over 200 poems, culled from each of Robert Lowell's books of verse--Lord Weary's Castle, The Mills of the Kavanaughs, Life Studies, For the Union Dead, Near the Ocean, History, For Lizzie and Harriet, and The Dolphin. This edition, which first appeared in 1977, was revised by the author: there are additions, deletions, and a change in sequence in th ...more
Published 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Jul 05, 2015 Abeer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, america
I always heard about robert lowell being a big influence on some of my favorite poets
including anne sexton, sylvia plath, and Elizabeth bishop.
and naturally I had anticipated his work greatly and for a long time, sexton and bishop share a straigh forward, simple and heartbreaking style of confessional poetry, but i think plath is the one that resembles lowell the most (they're all confessional though)
the first few poems i was very disappointed, it felt like a long poem of fancy sounding fillers
Ally Atherton
Jan 31, 2012 Ally Atherton rated it really liked it

I have always had a love hate relationship with poetry. I really don't like the kind of stuff like makes no sense whatsoever and is filled with nods to greek mythology and other so called 'intellectual' rambleshit. I don't want to read poetry if you have to have a masters degree in ancient history to understand it.

However this collection of poetry is superb. There were a few pieces at the beginning that tested my patience but the main bulk of the poetry in the collection are pretty amazing. Most
Sep 05, 2008 Gwilym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used to be I didn't much care for 'confessional poets' or New England poets. However, Lowell is so capable and talented a writer, he is impossible to ignore. Furthermore, I like his writing! I don't find it confessional, or if I do, it is so overwhelmed with other attributes beyond mere confessionality that I can't hold it against.
Nov 12, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection seems to have little bearing on the original Selected Poems, published in 1965. It is a shame that the title couldn't have been something different... This expanded edition is a selection of what the editor thought were the best poems in each of Lowell's major books (including the original Selected Poems which was probably my least favorite part) and thus is more of a "best of" collection.

The editor has done a marvelous job with the notes in the appendix, and I also recommend re
Nov 16, 2007 Meg added it
what i learned from this book is that perhaps burt reynolds lifted his playgirl poses from lowell's author photo.

true story.
Jul 13, 2016 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Terence Carlisle
Robert Lowell, the founding father of the Confessional School of modern poetry, is an inescapable figure for the serious poetry enthusiast. The crucial books are “Life Studies” and “For the Union Dead,” but the “Selected Poems” is the perfect place to start if one wants a good broad overview of his career. When Boston Brahmin Lowell, whose famous family were a Who’s Who of American history and culture, wrote of his madness, his heartache, his marital problems, his ancestors, it seemed as if his ...more
Oct 02, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Puritan poems. Confessional poems. Robert Lowell, you slay me.
Caitlin Klask
Jan 24, 2016 Caitlin Klask rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sometimes in sickness, we are weak enough to enter heaven.
Ashley Blake
Feb 08, 2009 Ashley Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A needed collection for any lover of poetry during this era.
Jul 28, 2007 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verse
Ho hum.
Lisa A
Lisa A marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
James rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Burt Myers
Burt Myers marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Sailor marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Heidihark marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Maila rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Rachel added it
Sep 12, 2016
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Jasper Walsh
Jasper Walsh rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Marianne Wells
Marianne Wells marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Mathew rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Svrvh marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Joseph marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
  • Fire to Fire
  • Poetry and the Age
  • Selected Poems
  • The Beforelife
  • Trilogy: The Walls Do Not Fall / Tribute to the Angels / The Flowering of the Rod
  • Collected Poems
  • The Selected Poetry of Yehuda Amichai
  • A Wild Patience Has Taken Me This Far
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize
More about Robert Lowell...