Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Selected Poems includes over 200 poems, culled from each of Robert Lowell's books of verse--Lord Weary's Castle, The Mills of the Kavanaughs, Life Studies, For the Union Dead, Near the Ocean, History, For Lizzie and Harriet, and The Dolphin. This edition, which first appeared in 1977, was revised by the author: there are additions, deletions, and a change in sequence in th...more
Published 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 1965)

Abbyjay
I always heard about robert lowell being a big influence on some of my favorite poets
including anne sexton, sylvia plath, and Elizabeth bishop.
and naturally I had anticipated his work greatly and for a long time, sexton and bishop share a straigh forward, simple and heartbreaking style of confessional poetry, but i think plath is the one that resembles lowell the most (they're all confessional though)
the first few poems i was very disappointed, it felt like a long poem of fancy sounding fillers...more
Ally Atherton

I have always had a love hate relationship with poetry. I really don't like the kind of stuff like makes no sense whatsoever and is filled with nods to greek mythology and other so called 'intellectual' rambleshit. I don't want to read poetry if you have to have a masters degree in ancient history to understand it.

However this collection of poetry is superb. There were a few pieces at the beginning that tested my patience but the main bulk of the poetry in the collection are pretty amazing. Most...more
Gwilym
Used to be I didn't much care for 'confessional poets' or New England poets. However, Lowell is so capable and talented a writer, he is impossible to ignore. Furthermore, I like his writing! I don't find it confessional, or if I do, it is so overwhelmed with other attributes beyond mere confessionality that I can't hold it against.
Meg
Nov 16, 2007 Meg added it
what i learned from this book is that perhaps burt reynolds lifted his playgirl poses from lowell's author photo.

true story.
Ashley Pope
A needed collection for any lover of poetry during this era.
Jenni
Jul 28, 2007 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poets
Well-edited selected poems.
Linda Sterling
Linda Sterling marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Erik
Erik added it
Mar 15, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Gentris Jointe
Gentris Jointe marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2014
Sarah Embaby
Sarah Embaby marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
Ole
Ole marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Robert Lowell, born Robert Traill Spence Lowell, IV, was an American poet whose works, confessional in nature, engaged with the questions of history and probed the dark recesses of the self. He is generally considered to be among the greatest American poets of the twentieth century.

His first and second books, Land of Unlikeness (1944) and Lord Weary's Castle (for which he received a Pulitzer Prize...more
More about Robert Lowell...
Collected Poems Life Studies and For the Union Dead Life Studies Imitations For the Union Dead