Start by marking “Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)” as Want to Read:
Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)

Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  12,576 ratings  ·  1,123 reviews
A WHOLE NEW REASON TO MIND THE GAP

It begins with a dead body at the far end of Baker Street tube station, all that remains of American exchange student James Gallagher—and the victim’s wealthy, politically powerful family is understandably eager to get to the bottom of the gruesome murder. The trouble is, the bottom—if it exists at all—is deeper and more unnatural than any
Published June 26th 2012 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers Under Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers Under Ground

Nataliya
"Was it better to die in happy ignorance or terrified knowledge? The answer, if you’re a Londoner, is that it’s better not to die at all."
This series does what most urban fantasies avoid - it seamlessly integrates the 'urban' and the 'fantastical' parts, creating a lovely well-crafted enjoyable reading experience that remains grounded in reality, with just the right touch of whimsy to keep it moving along, *nothing to see here*. (Don't you just loooove my pathetic attempts at police humor? Wai
Carol.
Apr 09, 2013 Carol. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves detective fantasy

Well, I was going to work on my paper today. But then this arrived in the mail, hardcover & signed, direct from London. How could I resist? Within pages I was chuckling aloud, but also relishing the developing feeling of danger.

I can tell you now what will happen. Someday, I'm going to plan a trip to London, and like a complete book nerd, I will attempt to trace down the steps Peter Grant takes in solving these cases. Yes, the books are that good, and the only things hindering my complete un
Lois Bujold
The advantage of being a semiretired adult is that there is nobody around who can force one to stop reading and go to sleep. The disadvantage of same is the four hours of daylight left that one confronts when crawling out of bed the next afternoon...

This series, surer now perhaps of its survival to the end of the broadcast season, seems to be settling in for a good run. More lavish invention with Peter, Lesley, Thomas, the Folly, and of course London. I am happy with this; not for me the readerl
Catie
Oh, these books are just so much fun. I doubt I will ever stop reading them. The mysteries confuse me (and are mostly forgettable), I still don’t really understand how the magic works (and neither does the main character), and I really have no idea where this is all going. But I enjoy every minute of these books and most of all, this character.

What a witty, likable, self-deprecating, fully-realized character Ben Aaronovitch has created here. I could spend hours just reading his random asides abo
Mike (the Paladin)
As I sit here considering this book there's a part of me that wonders why I'm not more taken, more enthusiastic about this series. I can recommend it. It's a good series filled with good writing. I like the understated humor. I like the interaction with the world Aaronovitch has created and it denizens.

Somehow with all that I'm always, at best mildly enthusiastic about them. I read the first back when it came out in one of those reader copies with "NOT TO BE SOLD" written all over it. I liked i
Brendon Schrodinger
Ben sure isn't a one trick pony. The third volume of his Peter Grant series is a high point and while not as astounding as the first volume, it's way better than the second and much more fun than any of the others.

This time around Peter Grant, PC Magician's Apprentice, faces a mystery of a dead art student in the Tube. Sounds mundane and not Peter Grant at all, but the murder weapon is a shard of magically imbued pottery. So what we get is a wonderful and claustrophobic chase into the literal un
Regina
Damn, I love this series. And damn I love these characters – -Peter, Lesley, Molly, Nightengale and even the little dog Toby. Rarely does an urban fantasy book feel new.

There is something so easy going but yet scary about the world Mr. Aaronovitch has created. It is layers of normal society on top of layers of an unknown magical community. These communities co-exist and sometimes collide. This story begins right off from where Moon Over Soho left off. Lesley and Peter (Why do I want to type Rob
Algernon
Peter Grant is back: junior policeman on the Metropolitan Force, apprentice wizard and sarcastic jokester. Welcomew to the magical murder mystery tour of London, starting in Hugh Grant's and Julia Robert's favorite neighborhood of Notting Hill but going mostly to the sunken tunnels of a labyrinthine subway system going back to the nineteen century. If in the previous novel, we had a glimpse of Soho nightlife and at the Jazz scene, in this episode we will focus on modern art, small street boutiqu ...more
Penny
If Peter Grant was a real guy I would go to London and stalk him for a week just because he's so awesome! :)

No seriously, this is the best in the series so far, and I really enjoyed the first two. I'm not a huge fan of London for lots of reasons but I swear this series is changing my mind. The way Aaronovitch talks about the history of the city and how it developed and he slides in that British humour and I find myself wishing I was in London to go visit the places he's talking about!

Not only i
Robert
You can also find my review of Whispers Underground on my book blog.

Whispers Under Ground is the third book in a series. I'd definitely recommend starting at the beginning for anyone interested in this series - the book largely assumes that the reader is familiar with the characters and at least some of the previous events. There isn't a huge amount of direct plot continuity, but without reading Rivers of London and Moon Over Soho first, you'll probably find this book quite bewildering.

So, Peter
Michael
This one was a charming diversion. I appreciated the imagination involved in the tale, but was not compelled with sufficient drama nor amused as much as with the first two books. Maybe the novelty of this world is fading for me and I am losing the compelling aspect that came when Peter was a rookie.
Mimi
4 out of 5 stars

It doesn’t normally take me this long to get through urban fantasy. The book just got away from me, that's all. Literally. I lost it, along with the rest of the series, to relatives visiting over Christmas break and didn’t get around to getting another copy until last week. So I'm just making sure to say the dates read have no bearings on how much I liked it.

Another great installment by Ben Aaronovitch and the series definitely improves with each book. All the praises I had for t
The Flooze
It’s early days yet for Peter Grant, as I realise with this book that the series only covers 12 months so far. But, oh, how much the DC has learned in that short span of time.

Peter is a remarkably relatable character. His tone is easy-going, but his inner monologue assures us he’s appropriately horrified at certain things he witnesses. He’s a very aware and accepting sort of person, using logic to prevent his mind from shutting out possibilities. He attributes much of this to his scientific ben
rameau
This time Peter is going underground and the Americans are involved. Can’t be good. Luckily the American element is much more limited than the blurb would suggest, and like before the city steals the spotlight. London is a character in itself here.

The long plot continues, the characters evolve, and the incidental murder mystery plays a slightly bigger role this time. There’s less of magical apprentice work and more of good old fashioned legwork for Peter.

Although as a Finn, I had to take the d
Lightreads
A somewhat inconsequential book that thoroughly convinced me of the deep consequence of this series.

Well, okay, a stepping stone book. One of those that doesn’t overtly advance the arc, but instead peels off for a side adventure with occasional flickers of bigger things, and you get the sense that you’ll be looking back in three or four books and going “ah, I see,” even though right now it doesn’t feel like much.

But the thing is, I came out the other side completely convinced that this series is
Tracey
Peter Grant.

I could almost make that my entire review.

I have a friend I met when we both worked at Barnes & Noble many years ago. She went off to school and then to New York to seek her fortunes, and she is a) blessed with a great many friends and b) an even worse correspondent than I am, so we don't email or call or any of that very often. Now and then, though, if we're going to be in the same city at the same time, we get together, and it's almost as though the time since the last time we
Hallie
Ben Aaronovitch clearly has it in for me *personally*. Every time I'm nearly 100% head-over-heels taken with the book, but something ends up bouncing me out, or making me really cranky, and it's much more frustrating than a book you just don't think is that great. This is - I think objectively - probably the strongest in the series, and has all the things that are wonderful in the previous books, plus the "under ground". I was about to put a status update almost crying with the happy when Peter ...more
Rachel Brown
This continues to be my current favorite urban fantasy series - the series which reminds me of why I ever liked urban fantasy.

I can write little about the sequels without spoiling a major plot development at the end of the first. They're both very good, but I liked Whispers Underground better because the mystery (while somewhat incomprehensible) was less obvious, but mostly because of the return of a certain favorite character.

Highly recommended. Highly, highly recommended. Great characterizatio
Sue
Oct 28, 2012 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi-fantasy-mystery readers
Peter Grant is back, this time allowed to do a bit more on his own as Nightingale (his wizard boss) is busy looking for the Faceless Man from the past episode. Peter has packed his sarcasm--check, wit--check, beginning level wizard spells--check. And magic and death stalk the London Underground.

This may be the best episode yet, with the most cohesive story. A background mythology is definitely continuing to grow and it's amazing. What a fertile mind Aaronovitch has, like myth makers of old.

If
Natasha Govender
London. The place where for every living person there is said to be at least fifteen ghosts. The city that provided the backdrop to all the best classics in literature and the coolest fictional characters (Sherlock Holmes, Oliver Twist) and even cooler writers (Shakespeare, Dickens). Beautiful gothic architecture, moody weather, layers of history along the banks of the majestic Thames; London is a character in and of itself in books and probably most so in the Peter Grant series. Whispers Under ...more
Paul Cheney
Back again with Peter Grant, the apprentice wizard who lives at the folly with his mentor, Nightingale. There has been a murder, and something is not quite right, The investigating offices have their suspicions so they call on on the Met's supernatural investigators.

The victim is a young male and he has been killed by a sherd of pottery. But this is the son of a US senator and he wants the FBI involved to find the murderer as soon as possible.

And so Peter begins to delve beneath the surface of t
Tim "The Enchanter"
My #3 Favorite read of 2013

A Spectacular 5 Stars

The best book in the series so far! I continue to the sing the praises the British Apprentice Wizard.

I am continuing to enjoy how Peter Grant continues to explore magic through the eye of science. This brings a refreshing and original take to magic in UF. As usual, intellect rules the day. Peter's magic skills slowly grow, the magic serves as a secondary player in his investigations.

We are again graced with the presence of Lesley, the hard nose
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Posted at The BiblioSanctum

Wow, never have I snapped up and read all the currently available books in a series so quickly. With my enthusiasm waning for Harry Dresden in light of the new direction the Dresden Files series has taken in the last few books, someone else has recently dethroned him as my favorite leading man in urban fantasy fiction. Peter Grant is my master now!

I'm really enjoying this series. I probably didn't like this book as much as the two preceding it, but then again, Rivers o
Emma Flanagan
I'm not how much I can say about this book that I haven't already said about the two previous books Rivers of London and Moon Over Soho. It is consistent both earlier books, following the same general plot arc. The original dark wizard is identified, developing the Faceless Man, Grant's Voldemort/Moriarty figure, plot. Also Lesley May is back. Yay!!

I picked this up because my brain required some easy escapism. It certainly ticked that box. It was as enjoyable and easy read as its predecessors, a
Michael
When a body is found stabbed to death at the far end of Baker Street tube station, it seems like an ordinary murder. The victim is an exchange student at Central St. Martins named James Gallagher and his father is an American senator. The Folly have been called in to assist with the investigation and it is quickly discovers that there is a supernatural component to this crime. This case leads Peter Grant into the secret underground that lies underneath the streets of London.

Peter Grant is back i
Julie Davis
In this book, Ben Aaronovitch gets back the mojo he had in Midnight Riot. Looking back at book 2 (Moon Over Soho) I can see that a lot of strands were setting up what made this book good. This book was a cohesive, entertaining story that also moved forward the characters' lives. I was intrigued to see that Peter Grant has a very good reason for all the snarky comments he continually makes about modern architecture in London. You'll have to read it yourself to find out why.

The book description is
Carly
**edited 11/28/13

If you like urban fantasy and you haven't yet tried this series, do so. Now. The first book is Midnight Riot. Go find it. You'll thank me later. If you haven't read the first two in the series, don't read my review. It doesn't contain any spoilers for this book, but no promises about the previous two.
It's nearly Christmas, but Peter Grant, intrepid copper and trainee wizard, has been thrown into a case that is definitely lacking in holiday cheer. An American student has been mur
Jesse Adler
It's a lost art - book buying. I wince even as I type that - like I'm personally killing books by saying it. But if not lost today then soon. Ebooks are great and do make life easier, yet they just aren't the same. But they are changing the reading/writing/publishing game. Getting a kindle was a bitter sweet moment in my life. You see I'm a book geek. Always have been. I love to touch them, leaf through them, smell them. I also love to feel their covers. I'm not proud of it but I just can't brin ...more
Barbara

The third book featuring Peter Grant, London policeman and budding wizard, does not disappoint. More snarky comments from Peter-yay! Lesley continues to mend and become a little more comfortable with her horribly disfigured face. We meet Zach, who is a hoot and a half and who has attached himself to Peter. Zach is great fun. Alas, we don't get to see very much of Nightingale, as his involvement with the Faceless Man case is on the edges of the story.
The bulk of the action follows Peter as he tri
Cherry Mischievous
Review:

I think this series is growing on me. The more books I read on this series, the more interesting it becomes. I think I'm on my way to becoming a die-hard fan! The story telling quality is becoming funnier and more compelling to me too.... Does this book has some sort of spell or something?!

I wasn't quite sure if Ben Aaronovitch named the organization that DCI Thomas Nightingale and PC Peter Grant is a member of other than that it is called the ECD 9 of the Met Police. Anyhow, an explana
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • London Falling (Shadow Police, #1)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy, #2)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch...

Peter Grant (6 books)
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1) Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4) Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5) Rivers of London: Body Work

“Holy paranormal activity, Nightingale - to the Jag mobile.” 26 likes
“My dad was a fairy," said Zach. "And by that I don't mean he dressed well and enjoyed musical theatre.” 21 likes