Kapow!

Kapow!

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Do you have what it takes to be a superhero?

While pretending to be superhero American Eagle and his trusty sidekick Bug Lady, a young boy and girl soon get into trouble with his mom. Can American Eagle become a true superhero and look an angry parent in the eye and admit what he has done? Full color.
Published July 27th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Dolly
Sep 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, pets
We started reading the Olympians series by George O'Connor recently and when I posted my review here on Goodreads, I noticed that he'd written several picture books as well and I thought we'd check some of them out at our local library.

We found this book to be quite humorous and entertaining. I love that the little boy takes responsibility for his actions and I love the mom's reaction even more. It's a great example of how to handle a mini-disaster. Our girls loved the imaginary personas of the...more
Vicki Kier
Kapow! is the debut work of George O'Connor, author of the popular graphic novel series The Olympians. O'Connor wastes no time beginning this fast-paced tale, opening the story with two frames before the title page, squeezing in two more before opening with a brightly colored double-page spread of a young boy's imaginary transformation from everyday kid to "American Eagle". Five more frameless, double-page spreads feature glimpses into the boy's super-sized imagination, while surrounding pages a...more
Robin
This book caught my eye recently as I was checking in books because I love graphic novels and enjoy comics. When I looked more closely I saw that it was written and illustrated by George O'Connorwhom I first saw talking about his book Journey Into Mohawk Countryat the ICv2 Conference in NYC. This is such a wonderful picture book because two friends pretend to be superheroes so the view changes from their reality to a vision of what their superhero selves would look like! It's super awesome and f...more
Shelli
Funny story of some children at play. How what they imagine and what is actually happening are very different. To some, American Eagle may just look like a small boy in a dorky hat, t-shirt, homemade cap, and yellow shoes; to others (himself included) he is a SUPER HERO! Along with his side kick Bug Lady they have an action packed day of riding the house (or city) of danger.
Cute book, almost a comic book/graphic novel in picture book format, using speech bubbles for dialogue. Would be great for someone looking for "superhero books", since it features a boy with a big imagination playing superhero with his friends; the scenes of real life and playacting interchange rapidly, which might confuse some younger readers as to what is "real".
Kelly
This was a great read! It has so much energy, and the illustrations are full-page, end of paper to end of paper, big and bold. I liked how the pictures switch to the characters' adult superhero personas when their adventures are happening, but reverts to the children in their costumes. It works well as a transition device.
Jamie
fun! my boys & I loved this story of imagination and superheroes and working together. it was a great introduction to comic-book style format for my preschoolers. I just realized that this is the same O'Connor who has recently put out the Olympians series--big fan!
Kim
This is a great story about kids playing pretend, which is made all the more fantastic by the addition of pictures of their superhero personas doing what their imaginations think they are doing. Can't wait to use this in storytime.
Katie Jelinek
This interesting book was about truth, justice, and the American Eagleway! Kapow is a comic book that portrays a young boy who realizes what it really means to be a superhero.
Tiffany
Very cute. I liked the interplay of reality v. imagination. My superhero-obsessed 4-year old picked this out at the library and really enjoyed it.
Raina
One of my favorite picture books. Love the technique, the colors, the illustration style. One I come back to again and again.
Julia
A little boy and his friend imagine they are superheroes and almost get in trouble for too much roughhousing.
Allen Rubinstein
Allen Rubinstein marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
France
France marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Dathan
Dathan added it
Jun 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.

More about George O'Connor...
Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1) Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2) Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4) Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3) Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)