Blank-133x176
Excelsior

George H. Sirois

Excelsior

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"Matthew, so few humans achieve their destiny before leaving this world. You have that chance."

Created by high school senior Matthew Peters, Excelsior - savior of faraway planet Denab IV - is becoming an Internet sensation as the main character of a popular online comic strip. But before Matthew can enjoy his burgeoning success, a beautiful older woman arrives at his schoo...more
Published October 4th 2010 by Smashwords (first published June 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Excelsior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excelsior

Natasha Larry
I knew I would love Excelsior for two reasons. The first is the title. The Latin phrase 'excelsior' simply means “even higher.” Onward and upward. If you happen to be a comic book nerd, you know that this is also Stan Lee’s infamous catchphrase: used at the end of every “Bullpen Bulletins,” Mavel column. =)

The second reason I knew I would enjoy this title is that it starts with, to my great delight, a quote from Optimus Prime which I’ll share now:

“…one day, an Autobot shall rise from our ranks,...more
T.W. Fendley
Dec 26, 2013 T.W. Fendley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults, superhero fans
This was a really fun read -- I love "discovering" a new superhero!

I had the pleasure of meeting George Sirois at a book signing held at All on the Same Page bookstore and was immediately intrigued by his book. AND he drew me a sketch of Excelsior while we talked--how cool is that?!

Anyway, I bought EXCELSIOR thinking it might be a little old for my 14-year-old grandson, but it's a story that works on many levels. I think it's suitable for avid younger readers as well as adults--the violence is...more
Cari L. Pedstelak
On the surface, it may seem that "Excelsior" by George H. Sirois is simply going to be a fun read--one of those great little sci-fi gems to be enjoyed as an escape or distraction from everyday real life. While it is definitely one of those great little gems, with the usual good versus evil to save the world themes, I must forewarn you--the undercurrents of the basic overlying theme of "Excelsior" take the reader far deeper than mere escapism. It is exciting, inspiring, intensely gripping, &...more
Jeremy Rodden
When I first read the description for Excelsior, I though, "neat, it sounds like Cool World meets Comix Zone!" While reading this wonderful book, I realized I was both right and wrong at the same time. In both of those examples (a movie and and old Genesis video game), creators come face to face with their creations to realize that they are not just alive in their imaginations.

In Excelsior, Matthew Peters discovers that his made-up world and story is not really imaginary at all. Thrust into the...more
Jessica Subject
Written as a tribute to George’s deceased cousin, Excelsior follows the transformation of the teenage loner and comic book author Matthew Peters, as he becomes the savior of an alien planet, Denab IV where the reptilian Krunations have imprisoned most of the human-like Danarians.

The beginning of Excelsior details the life of Matthew before he meets the Denarians, and after his transformation to the savior Excelsior, the action increases. While the book kept me engrossed throughout, wanting to fi...more
Ann Charles
I had a blast reading George Sirois’ book, Excelsior! I loved the way he transitioned between worlds, he built more and more tension and excitement as the story progressed, and he kept me hooked with every scene and chapter all of the way to the end. Excelsior was refreshingly original and fun, adventurous, a definite must-read. I have my fingers crossed (and my toes) that there is a sequel coming, because I really want to jump back into George's head and experience more adventures. If you like...more
Anastasia Pergakis
Excelsior tells the story of Matthew Peters, a somewhat lonely teen drudging through high school. He lives in a world he created from vivid dreams about Excelsior and the epic adventures that befall him. At least, he thought he created it. When one of his comic characters shows up, live and in person, Matthew soon realizes that his dreams were really memories – and Excelsior is a real person from Denab IV!

I was immediately drawn into this story from the first line and it kept me hooked until the...more
Eva
Matthew is a rather unnoticeable teenager who has created a cartoon character named Excelsior that is becoming very popular on the internet. Matthew spends many hours hunched over his cartoon hero in what he thinks is a creation all his own. One day a beautiful woman comes to his school and tells Matthew she is from Denab IV and he has the life force of Excelsior inside of him.

The planet of Denab IV has been taken over by the Krunations and the Denarian people want it back. The Elders of Dena...more
Nilsa
First off I have to tell you that I'm not much of a sci-fi fan. So when I began reading this book I thought to myself that I wouldn't be able to get into the story, thus not be able to give it a good rating...but I kept on reading...And I'm glad I did!

George Sirois did an excellent job creating a book that keeps you captivited and wanting more, even if you're not a sci-fi fan.

Matthew Peters is your typical, nerdy and shy teenager who isn't interested in being part of the "popular" crowd. He's to...more
Sharon
The book for review is “Excelsior” by George Sirois.

The genre is Young Adult / Science-Fiction and the age group is MG-High School.

Fantasy is really not my cup of tea when it comes to reading. This is mostly due to the new cultures, languages and species that can get confusing if not done right. However this is not the case here. The amazing way Mr. Sirois has created a new world and interweaves it with Earth not only got me interested by the first few pages it did not get me lost in translation...more
glitrbug
The storyline is a great idea. A boy spends much of his time drawing a Sci-Fi comic book. Who didn't have a couple of those kids in their class? The difference is it turns out he touched an ancient sword that was harboring the life essence of a god. In doing so he absorbs the god's memories of past lives and gradually more and more of the god come out.
My only problem with the book is that I would like it to be more fleshed out. I didn't feel I knew some of the characters well enough to feel a...more
Jen Ponce
Excelsior is a book to appeal to all those kids who daydreamed in class, who created stories, used their imagination, and thought big thoughts.

Matthew Peters is the star of the story, a senior high student whose online comic book has garnered a following. Little does he know, the hero of his stories is real, as are the beings and settings that populate the world he thought he created in his head.

With action and adventure, this book is sure to appeal to teen fans of comics, superheroes, and adv...more
Sharon T. Rose
I tell you, if I'd gone to school with the main character, Matthew, I probably would have disliked him intensely. Most of us dreamed about doing awesome things, but this kid actually got to do them! Not fair! He's already a talented artist by the time the story opens, creating and drawing a webcomic about an epic struggle taking place on a faraway planet, but when he actually gets to be the hero who saves that planet ... I'm jealous.

This is a fun YA read that I rather enjoyed. Now, I'll be hones...more
I received a copy of this book from a blog tour over the memorial day weekend. I don't normally read Scifi fantasy books but I found myself enjoying this book with each turn of the page (or click of button since I read it on my kindle). The intertwining of story lines was brilliant and the characters were well developed. I found myself rooting for the Danarians and sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see if Matt would bring about Excelsior. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is a g...more
Andrainea Silverlite
Okay, I am an odd girl and love SciFi! My father got me hooked on it when I was little with Star Trek and I mean the Captain Kirk kind! From there I have watched and read a plethora of SciFi things! With that in mind I found this book entertaining and I really loved the fast pace of it. I was sad that it ended. Cause it had me wanting more! Good job and I can't wait to read more of your books. -_^
Debbie
I shared this wonderful book with my son Joey. From page one we were both mesmerized. Joey particularly enjoyed one of the villains Danak. He felt particularly real to him and wanted to know more about his background.
We both look forward to a sequel. Joey felt that there were many loose ends that needed to be explained in a future book.
A fun read middle grades and up.
Laurie
Several storylines are creatively juggled in this science fiction adventure tale that centers on the tyrannical excesses of an invading force against a people who refuse subjugation and enslavement. Pertinent elements of the adventure are shown from different perspectives so that while an action may be only briefly alluded to in one section, in another segment the reader is taken fully into the thick of the engagement. This book is, thus, brilliantly crafted and unique in its rendering. Read mor...more
Jane
An interesting concept for a storyline. A young boy who develops a comic hero story which gains a following online, only to find that his dream becomes reality. Great characterisations from the school kids to the inhabitants of Denab IV. The story is told well and goes along at a reasonable pace. The ending leaves the possibility that there may be more of Excelsior to come. I liked the author's note at the end about how the book came to fruition and that the main character Matthew is named in me...more
Jay Dee Archer
This was an entertaining, although not very deep book. It was a typical hero saves the day kind of story, but I enjoyed reading it. I'd read a sequel. Check out my full review:
Eric Thomasma
Excelsior is well written and well edited, but while the story is filled with classic elements, it just didn't captivate me. I liked it, and it was more than just 'OK', but I doubt it will be one that I'll re-read.
Karina
Well done. I think this would appeal to Sci-fi fans of all ages.
A.M.
Jan 21, 2011 A.M. rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A.M. by: Indie Books
With the plethora of female-led YA fantasy novels being published today, it comes as a breath of fresh air to find a title aimed at the male end of the YA market... and maybe for that very reason I didn’t quite enjoy Excelsior as much as I would have liked.

This fast-paced action/adventure story has many of the elements of a typical superhero story, starting with an underachieving, unpopular character and turning him into someone to be admired, someone who dedicates his life to a cause greater th...more
Martha Cheves
Excelsior – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

‘Semminex wondered how many tazer shots Radifen had taken today, since the older Denarian was definitely developing a tolerance to them. He lost count of how many times Radifin stood against the guards, shouting his blistering sermons that reverberated through the walls of the prison, catching the attention of the men and women around them.

Even though Semminex couldn’t see them, he could hear the cacophony of the prisoners ban...more
Miranda Lynn
I started off reading this not really knowing what to expect. I had read a snippet off smashwords and actually one a copy through the last Tour de Force's big giveaway. I thought what the heck I'll give it a go, I am not normally a Sci Fi type gal but I got to know the author a bit and figured it would be worth my time. And if not, hey it was a free book. Well let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised. To be honest in my head it was sort of a mash up of Lord of the Rings and Star Trek. Not real...more
V.E.
First off, I'd like to thank the Blog Tour De Force for giving me a free copy of this e-book.

This book was fine, interesting enough, and a quick read when I got round to it. However, some things bothered me.

1. It was cliched. There was nothing about it that made me marvel at its originality. It fit squarely into the framework of oppressed people await the arrival of an unlikely savior who needed only to believe in himself.

2. Matthew had everything, and I mean EVERYTHING handed to him. We aren't...more
Karen
This was a science fiction story I was involved with after it was initially written. I read it and made recommendations. This story is different, it has more depth, interesting characters and a story that takes you on a whirlwind ride through suburban America and across the universe.

Excelsior is a saviour, one who has been reborn twice before and is on the cusp of coming again, but on Earth, not his native planet. And in the body of an awkward teenager, not a self assured warrior. Will Matthew m...more
Lura
Feb 10, 2011 Lura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I had a coupon code to get this free through Smashwords. I thought it was good until Feb 14, but it expired on Jan 31. :( So it'll be a while before I get to read this...
Dixie Goode
Dixie Goode is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From Parts Unknown (Part 2) From Parts Unknown From Parts Unknown (Part 3) Our Indie Experience (An Indie Book Collective Anthology)