Start by marking “We Are a Thunderstorm” as Want to Read:
We Are a Thunderstorm

We Are a Thunderstorm

4.88 of 5 stars 4.88  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The First Place Award Winner for The 1989 National Written & Illustrated By...Contest for Students, this is a lyrical blend of poetry and photographs.

This outstanding book of poetry offers a wide range of sensitive insights, thought-provoking ideas, and amusing whimsies.

A lovely book to be savored and enjoyed again and again.

Published September 28th 1990 by Landmark Editions (first published September 1990)

To ask other readers questions about We Are a Thunderstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are a Thunderstorm

Ruth Sims
I first saw this book the year it was published, which was (I think) 1989, when I was an elementary school librarian. The Written and Illustrated By... series was a wonderful series of books, with the authors/illustrators aged from 6-18, and both the story and illustrations had to be their original work. Even after all these years, three of the books of that series have remained in my mind and I intend to hunt them down and buy them. We Are a Thunderstorm is one of them. I was pleased to see tha ...more
Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: rmoore@overlake.org
Shelves: nonfiction
A collection of poems to accompany the then 16-year-old author’s lovely photographs.

This was the first book of poetry I bought out of grad school, because I so loved the juxtaposition of the photos and the poems. The poems made sense to me, being at once short, subtle, and completely comprehensible. I’m not generally a poem person—-I like to roll around in prose too much-—but now and then a small bite that goes a long way makes for a nice change.
Beth
Jan 09, 2011 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
These poems were written with such sensitivity, insight, and beautiful sensory images that you'd be convinced they were written by a poet laureate. Amazingly, they were all written by a girl of merely 16.
Brian Wasserman
I consider this book a classic. I read it long before any of Amity Gaige's novels came out, and her talent as a writer was evident even at such a young age. There is just something magical about We Are a Thunderstorm!
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Esme
Esme marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Chriselda
Chriselda marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Pia Probst
Pia Probst marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Leen Cockx
Leen Cockx marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Margriet
Margriet marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Celia
Celia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Lousetta
Lousetta marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
Sindhu
Sindhu marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Bikram Toor
Bikram Toor marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Jennifer L
Jennifer L marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
carrieeboyd
carrieeboyd marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Amity Gaige is the author of the acclaimed novel, O My Darling, for which she was chosen by the National Book Foundation for its “5 under 35” recognition. She teaches at the University of Rhode Island’s Feinstein Providence Campus and at Mt. Holyoke College in Massachusetts.
More about Amity Gaige...
Schroder The Folded World O My Darling O My Darling: A Novel