Start by marking “Your Successful Preschooler: Ten Skills Children Need to Become Confident and Socially Engaged” as Want to Read:

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The latest research shows that children can be taught--at very early ages--the tools they need to become successful and connected to others. This new book offers parents and teachers the information they need to teach children the most effective ways to engage peers and make social interactions easier and more meaningful.Your Successful Preschooler: Shows how facilitated p ...more
Published December 9th 2010 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Your Successful Preschooler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Successful Preschooler

Marissa Morrison
Due to the high level of brain plasticity between the ages of 3 and 5, the authors stress the importance of early childhood education. Children who are home with a parent should be actively homeschooled, ideally with siblings or in a co-op with other families. Children who are cared for outside the home ought to be in a program that provides lots of play and a low student-teacher ratio.

Children who misbehave may have sensory processing issues. These students can benefit from a sensory corner fur
Jamie
skimmed. Couldn't decide how I felt about the need for peer orientation such as the book suggests, so I gave up. Found some good advice in there about conversing with kids and helping them engage, and, as usual, thought it would be difficult to remember how to do some of the tips in real life, but made a note that I'd try harder to think of ways to open conversations and ideas with my preschooler. Some of the conversations sounded clinical, but successful, and helpful.
Amanda Banks
I'm not quite sure how to rate this book. It's written by two experts who obviously know what they're talking about, it has some valuable, practical advice about how to improve your toddler/preschooler's social skills, and it's fairly well written. But I found it terribly, terribly dull and could hardly finish it. Maybe I've just read too many books on the subject lately? Grade: C.
Stephanie
This is one of the few parenting books I was able to read cover to cover. I agreed with the philosophy of the book and found it easy and interesting to read. It was not overly repetitive like many parenting books tend to be. I just wish I had bought it in book form rather than kindle, so it would be easier to look back on.
Izarra Varela
Meh. Stuff I already knew. The best advice I gleaned is to break away from the questions and integrate yourself into your child's imaginative play; this serves to validate the activity and encourage creative thought. Other than that, kind of a snoozer.
Jenny
Was given this book as a gift from someone who works for the publisher.
Christine Gumina
Christine Gumina marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Chanta Wilkinson
Chanta Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2013
Lauren Rinke
Lauren Rinke is currently reading it
May 27, 2013
Helen Damouni
Helen Damouni marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Angela Higgins
Angela Higgins marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2012
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2012
Nicole
Nicole is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2012
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2012
Laura is currently reading it
Jun 14, 2012
Stefanie Bakke
Stefanie Bakke marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2012
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2011
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2011
Helping Children with Autism Become More Social: 76 Ways to Use Narrative Play The Pre Upper Middle Devonian Rocks Of Melville, Cameron, And Vanier Islands, Queen Elizabeth Islands Assessment and Treatment Manual for School-Age Language Disorders: A Resource Manual