Mr. Monk is a Mess (Mr Monk, #14)

Mr. Monk is a Mess (Mr. Monk #14)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Obsessive. Compulsive. Detective.

An all-new original mystery starring Adrian Monk, the brilliant investigator who always knows when something’s out of place....

No one likes to come home to a mess—least of all Monk and Natalie. But when they return briefly to San Francisco from an extended stay working as cops in New Jersey, Natalie discovers somebody has been sleeping in h...more
Published June 5th 2012 by NAL Hardcover

Joy
Jun 17, 2012 Joy marked it as to-read
This will be the last Monk book (at least by Lee Goldberg). I hate to see the series end...:(

Update - there will be one more Monk book by Lee Goldberg called Mr. Monk Gets Even coming out in January 2013.
Mirkat
Mr. Monk is a Mess is Lee Goldberg's penultimate "Monk" novel (his last, Mr. Monk Gets Even, is slated for release in January of 2013). Mr. Monk is a Mess picks up where Mr. Monk on Patrol leaves off, immediately resolving the cliffhanger (only to halfway unresolve it for most of the narrative).

Natalie returns to an unpleasant surprise in her San Francisco home: a dead woman in her bathtub. To make matters worse, $5000 in marked bills is in an envelope under Natalie's mattress. Another $5000 fro...more
Hobart
Once again, Goldberg delivers a definitive response to anyone who disparages tie-in novels. The TV series, Monk, was great -- but what Goldberg's done with this series of novels -- particularly following the series finale.

What he's done with these characters -- Disher, Ambrose and especially Natalie (oh, yeah, and that OCD detective) is incredible. Almost got a little misty a couple of times here.

In addition to this great character development, we got a handful of great comic scenes, a couple o...more
Alex
I thought this was going to be the last Monk book, and I was so very sad when I finished it this morning. But lo and behold, looks like there will be one more out in January!

(That being said - there will be 15 books in this series? Not a nice even number like 16? Monk is having a conniption fit right now)

As always, I just love the Monk books. Lee Goldberg captures the characters perfectly, and I spend most of these books just smiling.

I'm still not sure how I feel about (view spoiler)...more
Richard
I always enjoy reading one of the Mr. Monk books. It is not deep, heavy reading that requires concentration to keep all the characters straight. However, it is a funny and entertaining approach to solving the mysteries that Monk and Natalie get involved with, along with Capt. Stottlemeyer and the other cast of characters.

In this book, Monk and Natalie have returned to California from New Jersey, complete with IDs and badges proclaiming them police officers of Summit, New Jersey. This is suppose...more
Julia Wilson
Omg! i can't even put into words what I feel now that I have finished the books. I have been with these characters from the beginning - seen their struggles and growth. This book feels somewhat like a climax or an ending. Perhaps, Goldberg will continue the series but in a new direction. Oh, I am sooooooooooooooooo sad. Please, please, don't let this be the end of Monk. He's come too far.
Helen
I got into the TV series 'Monk' by accident and found myself loving the quirky OCD detective. My son bought me the first three seasons second hand and I'm hoping to get hold of the rest sometime.
So when I was shelving Large Print books at the library where I work and saw this title, I had to check it out.
I wasn't disappointed.
The book has all the charm and humour of the series.
I made it my bedtime reading, making the most of the large print for reading when my eyes were tired. Except I kept hat...more
Ginny
A book series that is as good as the tv show. Enjoyed every Monk book. Sorry to hear there may only be one left in this series.
Randy
Another funny, laugh out loud at times, adventure of our favorite obsessive-compulsive detective.

Monk and Natalie return to San Francisco to close up things, having accepted permanent jobs with Randy Disher in Summit, New Jersey, where they had been temporary cops to help out while things were being reorganized after the entire city government had been arrested for corruption.

As usual around Monk, dead bodies pop up, this one a young woman in Natalie's bathtub with wrists and throat cut. There...more
Marsha
Adrian Monk is a detective with obsessive-compulsive tendencies, intolerant of other people’s foibles and possessing a habit of infuriating everybody around him. Whether this is what makes him such a brilliant detective is debatable. But he IS brilliant—incisive, intelligent, observant and physically sensitive to an extraordinary degree. (Think Sherlock Holmes without his charming personality crossed with the Princess who could feel a pea under several thick mattresses.)

This latest in the Monk s...more
Jack
As this is the expected good story with humorous characters and interesting twists, there is one added point of suspense...what does the future hold for the Mr. Monk novels?

If you follow this series (at least since the previous book, "Mr. Monk on Patrol), you will remember that Natalie and Adrian are supposedly only back in San Francisco for a short time in order to gather their belongings and put their affairs in order before moving back to New Jersey to join Randy's police force in Summit. Alt...more
Kay Iscah
Overall I think this book flowed better than the last couple, but honestly the end was awful and proved Natalie is NOT a good cop. Good cops are team players and follow procedure (unless doing so would actively endanger someone). Good cops do NOT break procedure, go rogue, and put civilians in gross danger just to get a feather in their cap. Monk knows better than this too.

The book should have ended with Stottlemeyer sending an account to Randy, and Randy saying..."um, thanks, Natalie, but I'm a...more
Iano
Nedávno som sa rozhodol, že dlhšiu dobu nechcem čítať kriminálky, lebo mám plné zuby tej temnoty a pesimizmu. Prečítal som ale ešte jednu, Monka, a táto je úplne iná. Jedna z kníh, ktoré vám niečo dajú, nakopnú vás do života, príbehy čo niečo znamenajú... Ak ste boli fanúšikmi Monka a pochopili ste, že v tom seriáli nešlo len o počítanie stĺpikov, potom je to kniha pre vás.
Lee Goldberg vytvoril všetko takmer rovnaké ako v televízii, aj keď charaktery a niektoré ich vlastnosti sa bez hercov nedaj...more
Mark
(2.93/5.00)

This was just as ridiculous as the TV show, which is a compliment. That's why I watched the show. If you don't like the far-fetched comedic mystery with no regard for actual police procedure, don't read or watch Monk.

I think the best part of this book (and I have not read any others in the series) was the transition of Natalee Teeger from Monk's assistant to cop (and character in her own right). I wouldn't mind reading a cozy series based around her.
Isaac Benge
Really good, but I've enjoyed other Monk books more.
I like the complex plot, that all fits together at the end, but it's really impossible for this to happen EVERY BOOK, where somehow everything links with everything else.
But, what did I expect, it's a mystery, and I still liked it a lot.
Mary
I've missed several stories between the end of the TV series "Monk" and this one, which finds Natalie Teeger leaving the employ of her beloved, if exasperating, friend Adrian Monk. The story developed Natalie's credibility as a police officer. However, she needs to go to police academy to fully qualify.
Claire
Jun 16, 2012 Claire rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: mystery
Lee Goldberg shamelessly sprinkled product placement throughout the book. Poptarts, Oreos, and Fiji water, off the top of my head. I believe it even references a brand that doesn't exist, which is infinitely strange if you ask me.

Monk behaves like a 5-year-old. Anyone who has seen even one Monk episode would know that is not how Monk behaves in the slightest, and it is grating to read. And the plot was strange and uninteresting. And the cliffhanger from the last book? This one starts up as if t...more
Rick Ludwig
Lee Goldberg did another wonderful job keeping mr. monk alive and fresh for all of his fans. In this installment a great deal happens and things change for good. I am so happy that Lee didn't take an easy way out from the setup of the last book. It is wonderful to see Natalie's character evolve as well as Monk's. I like the resolution and the tone of the piece very much. The greatest gift Lee has is his ability to retain both the humor and the pathos from the show. I believe he will write one mo...more
Mr. Monk and Natalie have been working as police officers in New Jersey but return to San Francisco to wrap things up there. They have been offered full time jobs as cops. Natalie finds some things amiss when she comes home but thinks maybe her daughter was the culprit. Then she finds a dead woman in her bed and investigators find police marked money under her mattress. Monk's brother, Ambrose, needs help because his girlfriend, Yuki, went to the grocery store and never came home. Ambrose loves...more
Laura Cushing
Mr. Monk and Natalie return from Summit, NJ to San Francisco and discover someone has been squatting in Natalie's house. There's also money that isn't hers, and a dead body in the bathtub. Just when it looks like things can't get any worse, Monk's brother Ambrose calls to get their help. His live-in girlfriend / assistant Yuki is missing.

There is so much character development in this book! The characters that I have loved in the tv series and throughout the books have made some really big choic...more
Denise
I have missed Mr. Monk and Natalie. So much funnier on tv. This was different as the you have characters taking the next steps in their life outside of their norms.
Mark Baker
Monk and Natalie return from New Jersey to find a dead woman in Natalie's bathtub. Then Monk's brother wants them to track down his missing girlfriend. Can they do it? As always, the plots are fun and really take advantage of Monk's abilities. However, it's what Lee does with the characters that really makes them shine. It's an outgrowth of the last few books and is what I am going to miss most after the last one of these comes out next year.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dany
This book, as all of the Monk books, has been very entertaining and certainly true to the flavor of the Monk characters and show. I enjoyed it very much but it was bittersweet as it read as though the series is coming to an end. I suppose it was inevitable but I enjoy the series so much, so it's rather sad. In any case it seems as though Lee Goldberg is planning to provide a nice ending for everyone in the series, which is a good thing to do and in keeping with the end of the show.
Laura Axelrod
I read this book for a Blog Critics review. The bottom line? It's a light, entertaining read that doesn't require lots of thought or concentration. Some of Monk's dialogue is funny. It's an interesting look at what happened after the series ended. I'd recommend reading this book in a busy coffee shop during a holiday weekend. Chances are, you won't lose your place on the page.
Susan
Monk and Natalie decide to accept jobs as police officers in Summit, NJ, but return to California to pack up their lives. Unfortunately, there's a dead body in Natalie's bathtub when she gets home, and police discover some strange items stashed in the house. She and Monk must investigate to help get themselves out of trouble and to find Monk's brother's missing girlfriend.
Dancing Flamingo
Awesome book. It is nice to see that both Monk and Natalie will be moving on with their lives. I have no idea whether or not Lee Goldberg plans to continue with this series since Natalie will be moving to the East. I miss Monk and the only way for me to be close to him is to read this series, so please Goldberg write more Monk books! MONK RULES!!!
Milla
Todd
Even though Goldberg wrote for the USA series, the version of Monk in this book is just too over-the-top -- and too unbelievable. Natalie as a cop is a stretch, too. I did enjoy this, occasionally, well "smiling out loud", I guess, but not enough to seek out the others Lee has written. For diehards only.
Pat
Excellent!! Picks right where the previous book stopped with Monk and Natalie in Summit,New Jersey. After solving a murder in NJ they fly back to San Francisco to pack and Natalie comes home to a dead body in her bathtub, Ambrose's girlfriend, Yuki is missing and Monk is waffling about moving.
Glen
This entry in the Monk series changes the status quo, completing the transformation followed in the last novel. While, the puzzles, were, for the most part, simple, there were several of them. Still, I quite liked it, and look forward to getting the next one.
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery #4)
  • Trouble at High Tide (Murder, She Wrote, #37)
  • Queen of the Amazons (Alexander the Great, #1)
  • The Girl Next Door: A Mystery (Carter Ross, #3)
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Girl Genius, vol 11: Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell
  • Bury the Lead
  • Yellow, Volume 02
  • Death of a Neighborhood Witch (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #11)
  • Flat Spin (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #1)
  • Life Without Parole: A Kate Conway Mystery
  • Lost Souls (Torchwood Audio Drama, #1)
  • CSI Miami: Heat Wave (CSI: Miami, #2)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • The Lincoln Letter (Peter Fallon, #5)
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of "The Heist" (with Janet Evanovich), "The Walk," "Watch Me Die," "King City," the "Dead Man" series, as well as th...more
More about Lee Goldberg...
Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr Monk, #1) Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr Monk, #2) The Walk Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr Monk, #3) Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr Monk, #4)