Start by marking “Mr. Monk is a Mess (Mr. Monk, #14)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monk is a Mess (Mr. Monk, #14)

Mr. Monk is a Mess (Mr. Monk #14)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  580 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Obsessive. Compulsive. Detective.
An all-new original mystery starring Adrian Monk, the brilliant investigator who always knows when something’s out of place....

No one likes to come home to a mess—least of all Monk and Natalie. But when they return briefly to San Francisco from an extended stay working as cops in New Jersey, Natalie discovers somebody has been sleeping in h
Published June 5th 2012 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monk is a Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Monk is a Mess

Joy
Jun 17, 2012 Joy marked it as to-read
This will be the last Monk book (at least by Lee Goldberg). I hate to see the series end...:(

Update - there will be one more Monk book by Lee Goldberg called Mr. Monk Gets Even coming out in January 2013.
Hobart
Dec 20, 2012 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Once again, Goldberg delivers a definitive response to anyone who disparages tie-in novels. The TV series, Monk, was great -- but what Goldberg's done with this series of novels -- particularly following the series finale.

What he's done with these characters -- Disher, Ambrose and especially Natalie (oh, yeah, and that OCD detective) is incredible. Almost got a little misty a couple of times here.

In addition to this great character development, we got a handful of great comic scenes, a couple o
Julia Wilson
Jun 19, 2012 Julia Wilson rated it it was amazing
Omg! i can't even put into words what I feel now that I have finished the books. I have been with these characters from the beginning - seen their struggles and growth. This book feels somewhat like a climax or an ending. Perhaps, Goldberg will continue the series but in a new direction. Oh, I am sooooooooooooooooo sad. Please, please, don't let this be the end of Monk. He's come too far.
Rajan
Apr 18, 2016 Rajan is currently reading it
This is a funny book. I liked the monk the TV series and book is equally good.

Monk is a obsessive compulsive detective who goes into depression when is wife is killed by a car bomb. He is thrown out of police force as he was unable to function after that. But as he is brilliant homicide detective, he is appointed consultant to SFPD.

Monk is portrayed as Sherlock but he works backwards. He first choose the culprit and then finds clues to implicate him. So he is no Sherlock after all.

Some excepts
Richard
May 28, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading one of the Mr. Monk books. It is not deep, heavy reading that requires concentration to keep all the characters straight. However, it is a funny and entertaining approach to solving the mysteries that Monk and Natalie get involved with, along with Capt. Stottlemeyer and the other cast of characters.

In this book, Monk and Natalie have returned to California from New Jersey, complete with IDs and badges proclaiming them police officers of Summit, New Jersey. This is suppose
Mirkat
Jun 16, 2012 Mirkat rated it liked it
Mr. Monk is a Mess is Lee Goldberg's penultimate "Monk" novel (his last, Mr. Monk Gets Even, is slated for release in January of 2013). Mr. Monk is a Mess picks up where Mr. Monk on Patrol leaves off, immediately resolving the cliffhanger (only to halfway unresolve it for most of the narrative).

Natalie returns to an unpleasant surprise in her San Francisco home: a dead woman in her bathtub. To make matters worse, $5000 in marked bills is in an envelope under Natalie's mattress. Another $5000 fro
Jack
Nov 09, 2012 Jack rated it it was amazing
As this is the expected good story with humorous characters and interesting twists, there is one added point of suspense...what does the future hold for the Mr. Monk novels?

If you follow this series (at least since the previous book, "Mr. Monk on Patrol), you will remember that Natalie and Adrian are supposedly only back in San Francisco for a short time in order to gather their belongings and put their affairs in order before moving back to New Jersey to join Randy's police force in Summit. Alt
Helen
Feb 10, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got into the TV series 'Monk' by accident and found myself loving the quirky OCD detective. My son bought me the first three seasons second hand and I'm hoping to get hold of the rest sometime.
So when I was shelving Large Print books at the library where I work and saw this title, I had to check it out.
I wasn't disappointed.
The book has all the charm and humour of the series.
I made it my bedtime reading, making the most of the large print for reading when my eyes were tired. Except I kept hat
Alex
Jun 26, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be the last Monk book, and I was so very sad when I finished it this morning. But lo and behold, looks like there will be one more out in January!

(That being said - there will be 15 books in this series? Not a nice even number like 16? Monk is having a conniption fit right now)

As always, I just love the Monk books. Lee Goldberg captures the characters perfectly, and I spend most of these books just smiling.

I'm still not sure how I feel about (view spoiler)
Louisa Keron
I used to watch Monk a lot, so I was excited to find the book. The storyline itself was rather interesting, but quite a bit of it felt superficial. Considering it is the fourteenth book in the series and the first one I read, I have come to realise that it's because of my lack of knowledge on the topic. The information was presented decently for those who have not read the previous books, but I can see it becoming annoying for those who had read the series. The explanation of certain characters ...more
Karen
Mar 15, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Natalie returns from New Jersey (where she and Monk had been appointed police officers in Summit by Randy Disher) to find a dead woman in her bathtub, as well as the dead woman's purse containing thousands of dollars from an FBI evidence room. The FBI thinks Natalie and Monk were involved in stealing the money and Natalie must clear her name. Meanwhile, Monk's brother Ambrose calls in a panic as his girlfriend, Yuki, has disappeared. I particularly loved Natalie's face-offs with the FBI agents, ...more
Melissa Mimier
Apr 07, 2015 Melissa Mimier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Ending.

Mr. Monk books kept me interested until the last sentence in the series. Funny, fun, and fascinating. Hmm. Now what do I read?
Ginny
Jul 26, 2012 Ginny rated it it was amazing
A book series that is as good as the tv show. Enjoyed every Monk book. Sorry to hear there may only be one left in this series.
Randy
Jun 16, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
Another funny, laugh out loud at times, adventure of our favorite obsessive-compulsive detective.

Monk and Natalie return to San Francisco to close up things, having accepted permanent jobs with Randy Disher in Summit, New Jersey, where they had been temporary cops to help out while things were being reorganized after the entire city government had been arrested for corruption.

As usual around Monk, dead bodies pop up, this one a young woman in Natalie's bathtub with wrists and throat cut. There
Marsha
Adrian Monk is a detective with obsessive-compulsive tendencies, intolerant of other people’s foibles and possessing a habit of infuriating everybody around him. Whether this is what makes him such a brilliant detective is debatable. But he IS brilliant—incisive, intelligent, observant and physically sensitive to an extraordinary degree. (Think Sherlock Holmes without his charming personality crossed with the Princess who could feel a pea under several thick mattresses.)

This latest in the Monk s
Kay Iscah
Aug 11, 2012 Kay Iscah rated it really liked it
Overall I think this book flowed better than the last couple, but honestly the end was awful and proved Natalie is NOT a good cop. Good cops are team players and follow procedure (unless doing so would actively endanger someone). Good cops do NOT break procedure, go rogue, and put civilians in gross danger just to get a feather in their cap. Monk knows better than this too.

The book should have ended with Stottlemeyer sending an account to Randy, and Randy saying..."um, thanks, Natalie, but I'm a
Janice
If you loved the TV Mr. Monk series, then I think you'll love Goldberg's book series. In this post TV series book, Monk and Natalie are still in New Jersey helping out Randy's police department. They are going to head back home to pack-up because they have decided to move to New Jersey and continue being cops. Randy gives them their badges to remind them they are needed and their jobs are waiting for them. When they get home, Natalie finds a dead body in her bathtub, then they become suspects an ...more
Mark
Feb 02, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
(2.93/5.00)

This was just as ridiculous as the TV show, which is a compliment. That's why I watched the show. If you don't like the far-fetched comedic mystery with no regard for actual police procedure, don't read or watch Monk.

I think the best part of this book (and I have not read any others in the series) was the transition of Natalee Teeger from Monk's assistant to cop (and character in her own right). I wouldn't mind reading a cozy series based around her.
Lynn Demsky
Nov 29, 2015 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, comical, cozy
No one likes to come home to a mess--least of all Monk and Natalie. But when they return from an extended stay in New Jersey, Natalie discovers that somebody has been sleeping in her bed. But this Goldilocks isn't asleep. She's dead. And stuffed under the mattress, investigators find marked money from a Federal sting operation. Now Natalie's life is a real mess, and she needs Monk to help clean it up.
Meanwhile, Monk's brother Ambrose is desperate to find his missing girlfriend, Yuki--but his ago
Isaac Benge
Mar 13, 2014 Isaac Benge rated it really liked it
Really good, but I've enjoyed other Monk books more.
I like the complex plot, that all fits together at the end, but it's really impossible for this to happen EVERY BOOK, where somehow everything links with everything else.
But, what did I expect, it's a mystery, and I still liked it a lot.
Pat
Jun 30, 2015 Pat rated it liked it
Claire
Jun 16, 2012 Claire rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: mystery
Lee Goldberg shamelessly sprinkled product placement throughout the book. Poptarts, Oreos, and Fiji water, off the top of my head. I believe it even references a brand that doesn't exist, which is infinitely strange if you ask me.

Monk behaves like a 5-year-old. Anyone who has seen even one Monk episode would know that is not how Monk behaves in the slightest, and it is grating to read. And the plot was strange and uninteresting. And the cliffhanger from the last book? This one starts up as if t
Rick Ludwig
Lee Goldberg did another wonderful job keeping mr. monk alive and fresh for all of his fans. In this installment a great deal happens and things change for good. I am so happy that Lee didn't take an easy way out from the setup of the last book. It is wonderful to see Natalie's character evolve as well as Monk's. I like the resolution and the tone of the piece very much. The greatest gift Lee has is his ability to retain both the humor and the pathos from the show. I believe he will write one mo ...more
Diana Howard
Apr 19, 2015 Diana Howard rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is fun comic relief from some of the more serious stuff I usually read. I will now read the whole series over time.
Oct 12, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: favorite-authors
Mr. Monk and Natalie have been working as police officers in New Jersey but return to San Francisco to wrap things up there. They have been offered full time jobs as cops. Natalie finds some things amiss when she comes home but thinks maybe her daughter was the culprit. Then she finds a dead woman in her bed and investigators find police marked money under her mattress. Monk's brother, Ambrose, needs help because his girlfriend, Yuki, went to the grocery store and never came home. Ambrose loves ...more
Laura Cushing
Aug 10, 2012 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing
Mr. Monk and Natalie return from Summit, NJ to San Francisco and discover someone has been squatting in Natalie's house. There's also money that isn't hers, and a dead body in the bathtub. Just when it looks like things can't get any worse, Monk's brother Ambrose calls to get their help. His live-in girlfriend / assistant Yuki is missing.

There is so much character development in this book! The characters that I have loved in the tv series and throughout the books have made some really big choic
Denise
May 17, 2014 Denise rated it liked it
I have missed Mr. Monk and Natalie. So much funnier on tv. This was different as the you have characters taking the next steps in their life outside of their norms.
Mark Baker
Mar 01, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, mystery
Monk and Natalie return from New Jersey to find a dead woman in Natalie's bathtub. Then Monk's brother wants them to track down his missing girlfriend. Can they do it? As always, the plots are fun and really take advantage of Monk's abilities. However, it's what Lee does with the characters that really makes them shine. It's an outgrowth of the last few books and is what I am going to miss most after the last one of these comes out next year.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Ann Alton
Feb 23, 2015 Ann Alton rated it liked it
Made me laugh out loud, and was a great way to revisit one of my favorite characters.
Cathy Cramer
It's funny. About on par with the rest.
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
  • Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5)
  • Stay At Home Dead (Stay At Home Dad Mystery #1)
  • Prescription For Murder (Murder, She Wrote #39)
  • Foul Deeds Will Rise
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #4)
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13)
  • Cult Following (CSI: Miami, Book 3)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Twice As Dead (An Odelia Grey Mystery, #6)
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job), "The ...more
More about Lee Goldberg...

Mr. Monk (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr. Monk, #2)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)
  • Mr. Monk is Miserable (Mr. Monk, #7)
  • Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk, #8)
  • Mr. Monk in Trouble (Mr. Monk, #9)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)