Start by marking “The Marriage Contract” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Contract

The Marriage Contract (Marriage #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  673 ratings  ·  37 reviews
He was a man exiled from society - handsome, unpredictable, and proud. Dark rumours surrounded his name. But Anne Burnett had signed a marriage contract binding her to Aiden Black, the Earl of Tiebauld. And although she′d never met him, she′s determined to keep her word and make theirs a marriage in truth. Because a well-bred lady with little fortune to recommend her has n...more
Published November 14th 2006 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Contract, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Contract

K.
[Audiobook: "The Marriage Contract" by Cathy Maxwell; Virginia Leishman/Reader = 4*]
Cathy Maxwell's "The Marriage" Contract can be summed up as a nice, comfortable, but predictable, and immediately forgettable historical romance. It was a good choice for me at the point I listened to it because I had just been through several dramatic, angsty and/or tragic books immediately prior to picking this one up.

Anne, a young English woman on the verge of spinsterhood is orphaned and unwanted by her near...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Mehhhh. This one was a little too "romantic comedy" for me. There's a lot of farcical nonsense and the hero acting like a douche, then some abrupt declarations of love and some intrigue. Overall, kinda dull and at times, irritating. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't read it again.
kris
Aiden is a mad Earl! Anne is now his wife, somehow, by proxy? They have sex for the first time in a houseful of soldiers? Scottish rebellion is a thing? I don't know?

WHY DO I KEEP DOING THIS TO MYSELF. It sounded like there was such potential for the "unwanted marriage takes a turn for the SEXY" trope, but NO. Instead I got this claustrophobic book that is so stuck inside its narrator's heads that it's frightening.

Take, for example, the second (?) chapter, in which Anne is on her way north to m...more
Melissa
Anne is married to Aidan by proxy in London. Aidan hasn't been to London in years. He left as a young man to search out his Scottish roots. Not only is he a titled gentleman in London but also a Laird of a Scottish clan. Living as a Scotsman for so many years he has no desire to ever go back. He becomes mixed up in the rebellion against England and is unsure of how to handle that. In the meantime Anne shows up and proclaims to be his wife. She shows him the marriage contract signed by his sister...more
Krista D
This book started out great, but the second half just felt forced. It was like Ms. Maxwell was following a over-dramatic plot checklist.
Bronwyn Rykiert
This was a nice little story. I do enjoy historical romances and this one takes place in 1814 when Anne Burnett is contracted by Lady Waldo to marry her brother Aiden Black (Lord Tiebold) by proxy without his knowelege. After an eventful trip to Scotland Anne meets her husband who is not very happy to know he is married and does what he can for Anne to return to London - he makes things very hard for her at his castle. Anne is stubborn and has decided that she would rather live with Aiden than g...more
Julie
This is the last in the "marriage " trilogy by Cathy Maxwell. Anne married Aiden by proxy. She must travel to Scotland to inform her husband he is married. It had been rumored for years that Aiden was mad. If you remember the last installment, Leah went to utter extremes to avoid the arranged marriage she was supposed to have with Aiden. But, when Anne meets her new husband, she finds he is quite sane, intelligent, and very attractive. However, Aiden doesn't want a wife and plans to send Anne ba...more
Elis Madison
Anne Burnett, an orphan with a lot of baggage, has little choice but to accept a proxy marriage to a Scottish Earl (who also has a lot of baggage). Said marriage was arranged without his knowledge or consent by his very managing, politically powerful sister. Anne is sent off to Scotland to inform said earl of his new state of wedded bliss.

Aidan Black is quite happily single—and caught up in business that doesn't need an Englishwoman's attention. So he plans to send Anne packing. If he can't for...more
Maria Villalobos
Anne was married to Aidan, the Earl of Tiebauld, by proxy. She fell in love with him, however he doesn't want marriage nor love. Then, he couldn't keep his eyes off her and consummated the marriage. They have a beautiful baby that was made by their love.
Ruthie Rivera
Yay

I had forgotten about how good this book is. I read it years ago and I had completely forgotten about it. I'm glad I reread it :)
Jilly
This one was a bit more interesting than Married in Haste. That is not saying much. I did like the idea of a woman showing up at a Scottish Castle and telling the Lord that she was married to him. Thing is from then on out it was just a bit too much and too silly.

There were three love stories in this book which isn’t so bad unless of course none of them are really worth reading. It seemed to me that Aidan acted rather childish from the beginning and right up until they realized they loved each o...more
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
2.5 stars. I lost interest about halfway through. I couldn't get past Anne's acceptance of Aidan's atrocious behavior toward her, nor Aiden's lack of apology for said behavior, the 180 degree turnaround on the "love" issue, and the last straw: having sex right after seeing a man tortured. WTH? No.
Melissa Metzger
Pretty good romance. would have given 3.5 if I could have. Interested in another book of hers to see if her writing gets stronger.
Meredith
Light and forgettable, but fun.
Heather  * needs to get stuff done*
Cute story of Anne and Aiden that takes place in 1815 mostly in Caithness. Anne is an orphan who is contracted into a marriage by proxy to the rumor mad Lord Tiebauld. Anne now has to take the long trip from London to Scotland to inform her husband that they are married. He wants to marry for love and she has nowher to go...two stubborn people. He wants her to go, she wants to stay.

Also talks of rebellion, traitors, and the "clearances" between England and Scotland.
Mindy
Loved the beginning, middle was ok, by the end I was cringing so much from the awkward dialogue my neck ached. Too bad because I liked the concept of a marriage by proxy to a Laird who tries everything to get the Lady to go back to London. CM has a talent for writing despicable male characters that women are supposed to fall in love with but her stories don't have fluidity that would do her characters justice. For a quick romance read it was okay.
Irishgirl1247
I don't know if I had romance overload after reading the first two so quickly (similar to sugar overload, too much delicious sticky sweetness and suddenly you're nauseous). But this one just did not grab me. I liked Anne, but I didn't lover her and Adian shockingly did nothing for me. I was looking forward to this one, if you lised it in bullet points I would checl off just about everything but it just fell flat for me...
Kathy
After the Outlander series, I may be ruined for all other historical romances.

The characters in the Marriage Contract could have been named Dumb and Dumber. The sexy parts made me want to find some hemlock to drink.

I could listen to Outlander dozens of times but I would be physically ill if I had to listen to one more minute of this drivel
Lourdes
I definitely enjoyed these series. The stories were clever, not your usual run of the mill romance, particularly this one with the Scottish rebel who finds himself married without knowing it. It was nice, fast paced and I loved the meeting of the friends at the end of it. It was a good read and I'll definitely be picking up more books by Ms. Maxwell.
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book! I am so glad that I picked it up at the library. The whole cast was enjoyable and it was interesting reading a book that was set during such a hard period for Scotland and the reaction of the Lairds/Lords with English titles and their attempt to use their powers in Parliament.
Shawn
I listened on Audiobook

Not bad. It took a while to get going but I liked the twists and turns it took. I especially liked the ending because everything was wrapped up and we got a glimpse into the future... a lot of books don't do that.
Jennifer Eckel
I read this book and then I read it again. Of course I didn't figure this out until about page 280 the second time around. I generally don't try and reread. Too many books and so little time. Must be a plot line I enjoy.
Cherry-Ann
Not exactly a page turner but a comfortable read. Totally engaged until the ending when the reunion with three friends threw me especially since I read the book as a standalone and not in the order of the series.
Jenny
A pleasant surprise! Maxwell makes characters with distinct voices, and the plot was interesting. I found no grammatical errors. The eye-roll romance moments were kept to a minimum.
Ana
Unusual, it brought out parts of Scottish-English history that were not so pleasant, the Clearances. The love story was decent and humorous even. All in all the book was satisfactory.
Johanna
I'm never fond of books that are written where everything falls into place. As much as I wanted to love this book I found it unrealistic and a tad too long.
Isabelle
I just wanted to read something fluffy that I didn't have to pay that close attention too. It was extremely predictable, but good enough for a quick read.
Gardavson
Good book. Liked the characters. Some of the plot was extrenuous but all in all a good read.
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Barely A Bride (Free Fellows League, #1)
  • Undone
  • His Wicked Promise (McKay, #2)
  • His Mistress By Morning (Marlow, #1)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • A NASCAR Holiday: Ladies, Start Your Engines...\'Tis the Silly Season\Unbreakable
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • Tempted
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #5)
  • The Devil Wears Tartan
  • To Rescue A Rogue (Company of Rogues, #13)
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
Four Dukes and a Devil In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)