Start by marking “The Satires, Epistles, and Art of Poetry of Horace, Translated Into English Prose, ... Together with the Original Latin from the Best Editions” as Want to Read:

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The 18th century was a wealth of knowledge, exploration and rapidly growing technology and expanding record-keeping made possible by advances in the printing press. In its determination to preserve the century of revolution, Gale initiated a revolution of its own: digitization of epic proportions to preserve these invaluable works in the largest archive of its kind. Now fo ...more
Published August 6th 2010 by Gale Ecco, Print Editions (first published 1719)

Be the first to ask a question about The Satires, Epistles, and Art of Poetry of Horace, Translated Into English Prose, ... Together with the Original Latin from the Best Editions

Steve P
If you're looking for Horace's description of his infamous wet dream, go straight to number 5, and when you're done, so to speak, finish off with the rest.
Birgitta Hoffmann
Horace has often been described as untranslateable, which is too often true, there are only so many ways you can render a dense weave or allusions, wordplay and metaphors - something will give. Consequently nearly all translations are adjustments between trying to do Horace justice and the fact that another language will not be able to give you the width that you need to fulfil that aim.
The Loeb at least has the advantage that you can compare the original with the translation.

Alan
Forty years ago (age 8? joke) I read most of these; I'm surprised to find them all shorter and easier than I then
thought--especially how short the epodes are. I removed one star simply because Horace is not salacious
enough for my Latin taste. I prefer Martial (cf Byron's "the nauseous epigrams of Martial") and Ovid and Catullus.
But I'm also reading his Satires, which I'd only read a couple of decades back. Wonderful account of travel, by boat
overnight through the Potine swamp, meeting up with Ve
Struggling to understand how the oldies look at art, I found this little snack more of a crumb than tasty morsel. Art that is art, poetry that is poetry, music that is music... The circular language leaves me dizzy, but I am interested in the confusion that results.
Jamie
Horace's take on Phantasia is eye-opening -- his explication of everyday words and metaphors is also very interesting. I appreciate the unique way Horace argues for the necessity of both the simple and complex in writing.
Ibis3
Aug 06, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bilingual edition preferred.
Bruce
Bruce marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Craig
Craig is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
A
A marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Luke Phillips
Luke Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Jaime Lee
Jaime Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Thomas Casteel
Thomas Casteel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Stephen Wiseheart
Stephen Wiseheart marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Sal Borriello
Sal Borriello marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Ovid III: Metamorphoses: Volume I, Books I-VIII
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • On the Nature of the Gods. Academics
  • Theological Tractates / The Consolation of Philosophy (Loeb Classical Library)
  • Julius/Augustus/Tiberius/Gaius/Caligula (Lives of the Caesars 1)
  • Epistles 1-65 (Loeb Classical Library®)
  • Lysis/Symposium/Gorgias (Loeb Classical Library 166)
  • Pharsalia: The Civil War
  • The Satyricon and The Apocolocyntosis
  • Homer: Iliad I, Books 1-12 (Loeb Classical Library, #170)
  • The Student's Catullus
  • Posterior Analytics/Topica
  • History of the Wars, Volume I: Books 1-2. (Persian War)
Quintus Horatius Flaccus (December 8, 65 BC – November 27, 8 BC), known in the English-speaking world as Horace, was the leading Roman lyric poet during the time of Augustus.

Born in the small town of Venusia in the border region between Apulia and Lucania (Basilicata), Horace was the son of a freed slave, who owned a small farm in Venusia, and later moved to Rome to work as a coactor (a middleman
More about Horace...
Odes and Epodes (Loeb Classical Library) The Odes of Horace: Bilingual Edition The Satires of Horace and Persius Arte poética Epistles Book II and Epistle to the Pisones (Ars Poetica)

“Saepe stilum vertas, iterum quae digna legi sint scripturus, neque te ut miretur turba labores.

Ktheje penen shpesh, kur te duash gjera te denja te shkruash per t'u lexuar perseri, braktise turmen!”
0 likes
“Semis. An haec animos aerugo et cura peculi
Quum semel imbuerit, speramus carmina fingi
Posse, lindenda cedro et levi servanda cupresso?

"Nje gjysme". Ja, kur kjo lakmi dhe kujdes i tepruar ndaj prones, i ka zhveshur shpirtrat, a thua ka shprese se mund te kendohen kenget, qe duhen lyer me vajin e cedrit e duhen ruajtur ne arken e qiparisit?”
0 likes