Start by marking “Song Of The Pearl” as Want to Read:
Song Of The Pearl

Song Of The Pearl

Margaret Redmond, who dies at seventeen, finds that to gain understanding of self and to overcome a deep hatred that has marred her last years she must relive parts of her earlier lives on earth.
Published by Atheneum Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Song Of The Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song Of The Pearl

Thursday's Child by Noel StreatfeildJane-Emily by Patricia ClappA Stitch In Time by Penelope LivelyFog Magic by Julia L. SauerMarianne Dreams by Catherine Storr
Obscure Children's Vintage Gems
162nd out of 367 books — 96 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le GuinThe Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper
Best Feminist Science Fiction/Fantasy
347th out of 473 books — 391 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
Oct 31, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For about two years, I've been trying to remember this wonderful book I read as a teenager. I loved this book. For some reason, I gave away my copy. How sad. In trying to remember the title, I was even looking at old pictures of my room, looking at the bookshelves, trying to figure out what books were on it. (No luck!)

Yesterday, a word came to me - Pearl. The title had Pearl in it.

And I found it!

I read this book several times. A teenage girl dies and revisits her past lives. It was a fascinating
Melissa McCauley
Sep 28, 2010 Melissa McCauley rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in junior high school, and it has stayed with me ever since. I think of it often and dig out my tattered paperback to re-read it and always pick up something new.

This is the story of Margaret Redmond, who dies of asthma at the age of seventeen in the year 1900. She finds herself in a strange "heaven" where she meets Paul, a member of a large Chinese family who lives in a great compound. Paul's grandmother, the matriarch of the clan, has predicted that Margaret will destroy
Heather *live on coffee & flowers*
I was prepared to love this book and, upon finishing it, run around extolling its virtues. However, I did neither of those things. This book wasn't bad. There were some very good things about it, the foremost being the beautiful descriptions. These descriptions were mainly of Margaret's surroundings, the weather, etc., and as a result I felt I knew the settings better than the characters. Also the grammar was flawless. Nichols really knows her way around a colon (that sounds so wrong). Despite ...more
Robyn
A treasure, an absolute treasure. I've rewritten this review a couple of times, trying to capture and explain what about this book makes it magical, moving, unforgettable. I keep failing miserably. If you can find this book, hidden away on the back shelf of some second hand shop, as I once did, the dollar or two they will ask you for is a small price to pay for the experience that this book will provide you. All I can really say is: Read It.
Amy
Feb 19, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Like a lot of other people I found this book when I was in Jr. High. It spoke to me then and I have gone back to it more than once to remind myself.

Ms. Nichols uses simple words, eloquent descriptions, reincarnation and and a wise old woman, but ultimately it's about forgiveness, and about how the inability to forgive can destroy a persons entire spirit.
Abigail
Aug 13, 2008 Abigail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was probably about 13 when I read this, and it made a huge impact on me. I've lost any perspective on whether or not it is a "good" book, but it's certainly a sentimental favorite for me.
Amanda M
Jun 26, 2016 Amanda M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan-fiction
This story was wonderful. It was rich with eclectic spiritual teachings and earth-based spirituality. The story surrounded the fate of one woman who learned forgiveness over a succession of lives. I was intrigued by the author's depiction of Heaven and of reincarnation. The novel, at 119 pages, was much shorter than it seemed. It took time to absorb each scene, since the story did not follow the format of any story I have read. It was truly unique.

It felt somewhat abbreviated, and as though I h
Summer
Sep 09, 2008 Summer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book takes us through four (hints of a fifth) of the main character's incarnations, four countries, and the gods only know how many religions and quasi-religious practices, all in a mere 120 pages. It's utterly flat and feels random most of the time. A teaser in the front gave away one of the few semi-interesting revelations of the story. Challenging subject matter and an interesting premise; it could have been a very poignant story. But it turns out to be just a hodgepodge of factoids from ...more
Drew
Mar 27, 2016 Drew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Canadian YA author Ruth Nichols has a disheartening sense of Karmic justice. In her twisted "Song of the Pearl," her protagonist Margaret Redmond -- a taciturn, plain-faced girl with chronic asthma -- journeys to Heaven in order to make peace with a rapist Uncle whom she's been persecuting through a series of reincarnations. Sigh. And does any sane person really believe in an afterlife in which slaves choose to continue serving their masters?
Chris
Jan 02, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
This was supposed to be my last book of 2015, though I didn't quite make it with that.
This book was fascinating. It is one of those that leaves you thinking, trying to sort out thoughts and feelings. I haven't decided exactly what I think of it yet honestly. It was very interesting and deep. This one is going to take some processing.
Christine
Sep 25, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it
Fiction. This isn't a great book in terms of writing, but when I first read it in my early teens I felt comforted--growing up in the rural South believing in reincarnation makes you feel a bit isolated.
Windy Clement
Windy Clement rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Nellie
Nellie rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2014
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2009
Jenny Schwartzberg
Jenny Schwartzberg rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Meghan C.
Meghan C. rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2008
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
Emily Finke
Emily Finke rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2015
Melissa
Jan 21, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Extreemly thought provoking on the aspects of of growth and self-inflected stagnation...
Marianne Crapol
Marianne Crapol rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2015
Aaron Humphrey
Aaron Humphrey rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Sarah Sammis
Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2008
Mary Landschinke
Mary Landschinke rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2008
Shea Curran
Shea Curran rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Rhoda
Rhoda rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2008
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Hannah Abbott
Hannah Abbott rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2014