Start by marking “Twelve Gates to the City” as Want to Read:
Twelve Gates to the City

Twelve Gates to the City

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A novel of self-discovery, family bonds and the healing of one small southern town

Twelve Gates to the City is the much-anticipated sequel to Black's acclaimed debut, They Tell Me of a Home. In this novel, Sister assumes the voice of the narrator, speaking from the spirit realm, telling her brother TL things he could have never known about their family. She constructs t
Published December 6th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Gates to the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Gates to the City

Zanetta Robinson

Simply awful.

The two or three sentences of excellent story in no way make up for the hundreds, thousands of sentences comprised of pure, unadulterated suck.

You've been warned.
Karen Miller
Dec 28, 2012 Karen Miller rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Brothers and Sisters Book Club

Why, why, why, why???????

I LOVED Perfect Peace by Daniel Black, and really enjoyed They Tell Me of a Home, and so I couldn't wait to read Twelve Gates to the City -- the prequel to They Tell Me of a Home. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I was!

I give you this, though . . . no one can capture the spirit and feel of the rural South like Daniel Black can. I loved reading about the Meeting Tree and the stories told and antics displayed there. Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy . . . felt like I was t
Lynn Dixon
TL has returned to his hometown of Swamp Creek, Arkansas for a family visit. He is a Ph.D. who lives in New York. He gets on the bus to return home, but something pulls him back and he gets off the bus to stay. He ends up taking the vacant teaching post left open after the teacher’s death. He realizes that there is something he needs to know. TL discovers that the former teacher was his biological mother and that she had had an affair with his father. This helps explain why he’d had such a strai ...more
YESSSSSSS..... This is my favorite read so far of the year. This book is filled with so much good information, it really will give you a different view on so many things and different perspectives. I found myself literally laughing out loud in a gym full of strangers looking at me like I've lost my mind!!!

This is one of those books that will make you laugh loudly, gasp and say I can't believe that happened and make you evaluate how you view life and some of the decisions that you've made.

It st
Kimberly Hicks
Feb 12, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
What a wonderful sequel to They Tell Me of a Home! Simply one of the most heartfelt books I've read in years. Daniel Black is an awesome writer, and I'd love to see his books into movies because the way his books read, they run like a movie in my mind.

TL Tyson found out that even though he may have left his home of Swamp Creek, you can't lose the home within you--his heritage--his roots. He has a heavy price to pay, but in the end, it was well worth it.

Outstanding read, and one that I will neve
Cheryl Durham
Daniel Black, just as he did with They Tell Me Of A Home, captivated the reader's attention from start to finish. This book was built on the foundation of the above mentioned book. TL continued his search as to how his sister died. He also came to a number of conclusions about himself and the world around him.

The book encourages you to do a lot of soul searching. Many truths were revealed in a number of ways. I love the openness and the invited secrets that signifies his writing style. David Bla
I read They Tell Me Of A Home about 4 yrs ago and loved it. When I read Black had added the sequel was over joyed. A little hard at first to remember the characters but Black's storytelling is amazing love how he weaves the story line but this book seem to be rushed in places. Still loved how the story answers so many unanswered questions from the first book "GREAT READ" anyway. Now reading "Perfect Peace" same little town (Swamp creek).
I think it's an excellent read in outlining Black Heritage. I'm only 48 and there were many things I remember from my family history that correlated so closely to his book. I'm from a family of Educators and now I REALLY understand the love, passion and gift they had for wanting to teach children. I still have some unanswered questions about the city. However, I'm sure I'll get them from the many reviews. Don't miss out on this read!
I enjoyed this sequel although it did not end the way I expected. There was lots of symbolism here. It's an amazing story of family, forgiveness, acceptance, understanding and self-discovery. I wasn't crazy about the mysticism surrounding Sister's death. I am still left with the question of "What actually happened to Sister?" I would recommend Black's work for those seeking a captivating storyline.
Just like They Tell Me of a Home, I really enjoyed this book. Black has a special way to tell a story and his stories always seem to come full circle. This novel was very spiritual and caused me to think about alot of things. The only reason this book lost a star was because I felt as though it dragged in some areas and Black was long winded in some areas. Overall, great book!
This is a sequel and it was a great read sometimes I believe the stories behind these novels has to be true.
I'm a Daniel Black fan but this book tried to do too much and was all over the place for me. I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened to Sister...once I did unfortunately I lost interest in the rest of the book. I will still read another book by Black as long as its not a sequel. :(
Antigo Martin-Delaney
Not his best work. The character development was weak. It seemed like he rush to get to the end of the story. If you have not read "They Tell Me of a Home" read it first before this one. That is the only way the story and characters make sense.
Donisha Fisher
I really liked this book. Great story
Erica L
This is probably one of the most important books, to my spirit, that I have ever read! Daniel Black is brilliant, conscious and profound. I was in awe of his story! I am now on the hunt for any and everything this gifted Man has ever written! BRAVO Sir, Bravo!
Tamia Harris
A treasure

This novel is beautiful beyond words. It follows TL once again back at his home in Swamp Creek, where he finds the answers he has always looked for.
Fran Clark
Well, I finished this novel a week ago, and couldn't bring myself to immediately write a review. So, where do I start? Whew...I'll come back later!
Darlene Sweet
It was great, I was wondering when his next book will be coming out. I read all his books. Tell all my freinds @ family about this author.
Cathleen Dungy
Read for a book club. Interesting story of this young man's journey. Intrigued me enough to read the book written before this.
So disappointed! This book was written as if three different authors took turns writing chapters! Sister's voice did not add or take away from the story, I skipped most of all of Uncle Jesse's sections, and the ending was a rush to nothingingness! Too many loose pieces and patching together forgotten about characters! This was a poorly written sequel to "They tell me of home."
Hillary Smith
I had to quit. So boring.
Having the hardest time getting through this one. The first one was so good and i'm so disappointed that this one has started off terribly. I want to finish with the hopes of it getting better but judging by the other reviews I don't think that will be the case.

Total disappoint and not worth the pages it's printed on....perhaps someone else wrote this book because Perfect Peace was amazing. Oh can't always be great.
Al Woods
A riveting piece of fiction .... I'm typically not a fiction reader but I found this book a very rewarding reading experience... a must read !!!!!!!!
This was the beginning of me falling in love with this author's work. Intricate story lines & characters were absolutely awesome!
Daniel Black is a story teller. This book is true reflection of that. Yes there are some lagging parts but generally an enjoyable read.
Montika Allenatkinson
Amazing book! Loved it! It is a must read!!! Please read all of his books you will not be disappointed!!!
Teri Rainey
It took a little bit to get into this book and it was a little long but overall a good read
Great Book. Mr. Black has done it again.
What do any of us really want out of life?
  • Fish and Grits
  • My Name is Butterfly
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)
  • Attorney-Client Privilege
  • When I Get Where I'm Going
  • The Fabulous Sylvester: The Legend, the Music, the Seventies in San Francisco
  • Soulacoaster: The Diary of Me
  • BMF: The Rise and Fall of Big Meech and the Black Mafia Family
NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.Daniel Black author of Be Careful What You Wish For

Daniel Black is a native of Kansas City, Kansas, yet spent the majority of his childhood years in Blackwell, Arkansas. He is an associate professor at his alma mater, Clark Atlanta University, where he now aims to provide an example to young Americans of the importance of self-knowled
More about Daniel Black...