Twelve Gates to the City

Twelve Gates to the City

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A novel of self-discovery, family bonds and the healing of one small southern town

Twelve Gates to the City is the much-anticipated sequel to Black’s acclaimed debut, They Tell Me of a Home. In this novel, Sister assumes the voice of the narrator, speaking from the spirit realm, telling her brother TL things he could have never known about their family. She constructs the s...more
Published December 6th 2011 by St. Martin's Press

Zanetta Robinson

Simply awful.

The two or three sentences of excellent story in no way make up for the hundreds, thousands of sentences comprised of pure, unadulterated suck.

You've been warned.
Karen Miller
Dec 28, 2012 Karen Miller rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Brothers and Sisters Book Club

Why, why, why, why???????

I LOVED Perfect Peace by Daniel Black, and really enjoyed They Tell Me of a Home, and so I couldn't wait to read Twelve Gates to the City -- the prequel to They Tell Me of a Home. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I was!

I give you this, though . . . no one can capture the spirit and feel of the rural South like Daniel Black can. I loved reading about the Meeting Tree and the stories told and antics displayed there. Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy . . . felt like I was t...more
Fran Clark
Well, I finished this novel a week ago, and couldn't bring myself to immediately write a review. So, where do I start? Whew...I'll come back later!
Kimberly Hicks
Feb 12, 2013 Kimberly Hicks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
What a wonderful sequel to They Tell Me of a Home! Simply one of the most heartfelt books I've read in years. Daniel Black is an awesome writer, and I'd love to see his books into movies because the way his books read, they run like a movie in my mind.

TL Tyson found out that even though he may have left his home of Swamp Creek, you can't lose the home within you--his heritage--his roots. He has a heavy price to pay, but in the end, it was well worth it.

Outstanding read, and one that I will neve...more
Donisha Fisher
I really liked this book. Great story
Latrel
I read They Tell Me Of A Home about 4 yrs ago and loved it. When I read Black had added the sequel was over joyed. A little hard at first to remember the characters but Black's storytelling is amazing love how he weaves the story line but this book seem to be rushed in places. Still loved how the story answers so many unanswered questions from the first book "GREAT READ" anyway. Now reading "Perfect Peace" same little town (Swamp creek).
Sarita
I think it's an excellent read in outlining Black Heritage. I'm only 48 and there were many things I remember from my family history that correlated so closely to his book. I'm from a family of Educators and now I REALLY understand the love, passion and gift they had for wanting to teach children. I still have some unanswered questions about the city. However, I'm sure I'll get them from the many reviews. Don't miss out on this read!
Tsanderswoods
So disappointed! This book was written as if three different authors took turns writing chapters! Sister's voice did not add or take away from the story, I skipped most of all of Uncle Jesse's sections, and the ending was a rush to nothingingness! Too many loose pieces and patching together forgotten about characters! This was a poorly written sequel to "They tell me of home."
Chel-c
Just like They Tell Me of a Home, I really enjoyed this book. Black has a special way to tell a story and his stories always seem to come full circle. This novel was very spiritual and caused me to think about alot of things. The only reason this book lost a star was because I felt as though it dragged in some areas and Black was long winded in some areas. Overall, great book!
Yasmin
I'm a Daniel Black fan but this book tried to do too much and was all over the place for me. I kept reading because I wanted to find out what happened to Sister...once I did unfortunately I lost interest in the rest of the book. I will still read another book by Black as long as its not a sequel. :(
Antigo Martin-Delaney
Not his best work. The character development was weak. It seemed like he rush to get to the end of the story. If you have not read "They Tell Me of a Home" read it first before this one. That is the only way the story and characters make sense.
Monique
Total disappoint and not worth the pages it's printed on....perhaps someone else wrote this book because Perfect Peace was amazing. Oh well...you can't always be great.
Al Woods
A riveting piece of fiction .... I'm typically not a fiction reader but I found this book a very rewarding reading experience... a must read !!!!!!!!
Avi
Daniel Black is a story teller. This book is true reflection of that. Yes there are some lagging parts but generally an enjoyable read.
Montika Allenatkinson
Amazing book! Loved it! It is a must read!!! Please read all of his books you will not be disappointed!!!
Teri Rainey
It took a little bit to get into this book and it was a little long but overall a good read
Deborah
What do any of us really want out of life?
Shevi
Feb 29, 2012 Shevi marked it as to-read
Saving for later....
Talesha
Talesha marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Bobby
Bobby marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.Daniel Black author of Be Careful What You Wish For

Daniel Black is a native of Kansas City, Kansas, yet spent the majority of his childhood years in Blackwell, Arkansas. He is an associate professor at his alma mater, Clark Atlanta University, where he now aims to provide an example to young Americans of the importance of self-knowled...more
More about Daniel Black...
Perfect Peace They Tell Me of a Home: A Novel The Sacred Place: A Novel Keep It Real: Working with Today's Black Youth Complicated Currents: Media Flows, Soft Power and East Asia