Start by marking “A Vampire Christmas Carol” as Want to Read:
A Vampire Christmas Carol

A Vampire Christmas Carol

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Ebenezer Scrooge has never been known for the greatness of his heart. A miser, a leech, a penny-pinching old coot... Say what you will about him, though—he's never actually sucked someone's blood.

That dubious honor belongs to the vampires who surround him, preying on the weak and laying traps for the strong. They've dogged his footsteps since he was born, driving him from
Published September 27th 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Vampire Christmas Carol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vampire Christmas Carol

Elke
This book sounded like fun, and I enjoy reading something christmassy around this time of year.

Pro: the idea of the book was interesting enough and of course immediately appealed to me. I have no problem whatsoever with a retelling of a great classic story. I never expected this one to outplay the original either, but to give some light entertainment, and that it did.

Contra: the language, though attempted to fit the historical time and place, sometimes had me reread sentences simply to understan
dblue
I received this book knowing nothing more than it was a Christmas related. Finding that it is a re-telling of Dickens "A Christmas Carol" I was hesitant but decided to give it a try. I have not read any of the other classics that have been turned into paranormal books.

The story tells the tale of how Ebenezer's entire life has been shaped by the Queen of vampires. Her pet project so to speak. It follows the original story fairly closely but adds the vampire twist, with vampires being the reason f
Joanie
Update-I can't make myself read past the 3rd page. Back to the library it goes.

Saw this at the library and had to grab it. I'm sure it's horrible but I couldn't resist.

Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An old favorite with a new twist

Opening Sentence: Marley was dead to begin with.

The Review:

For this piece, I won’t give you a complete run down of the hero or heroine, because I am going to assume that the three of you have already met. That’s right, as in the classic A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens; we follow the life and times of one Ebenezer Scrooge, and all his associates and family members.

Ok, so a lot of the characters and events
Leah
Perhaps having recently read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens made it difficult to enjoy Sarah Gray's reboot, A Vampire Christmas Carol. (Or I could just be really burnt out on vampires and their rampant [over]use in books, film and TV.) Gray's was a strong idea and she did manage to create an interesting backstory and explanation for Scrooge's character and lifestyle. But something just felt off for me.

The first four chapters were rather clunky and hard to connect with. Also, the narrator s
Joe Hempel
So that's what made Scrooge so grumpy...the VAMPIRES!! I get it now!

Interesting little mix, I haven't read any of the others like Pride & Predjudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, so it was a neat little thing to see the scenes with the vampires mixed in with the Dickens Classic. Incedentally I couldn't be ruined because I've never read the Dickens classic.

At least these Vampires don't sparkle.

It was interesting though...but it won't be for everyone.
Manuela
It wasn't the first classical novel that I read with Vampires. But unlike others with this one I had to work to get through the pages. The story was dragging, the explanations given sounded weird and coming out from nowhere and the characters were not developed enough to either be like the original ones or to be totally new creations of their own story. I finished it and was thankful for the last page.
Kathy (ebookkat)
Having just read the classic "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens I decided to search the library ebooks for another Christmas themed story. I came upon "A Vampire Christmas Carol" by Sarah Gray and thought the spoof of the original Dicken's classic with a vampire twist might be entertaining to read. I was delighted when the book turned out to be a clever and sometimes funny read.
Karin
A retelling of Dicken's classics with a twist: vampires are causing Scrooge's meanness!

If you are going to use an existing story to tell your own, it had better be damn clever. And this wasn't. It was painful and slow-going, too much of it was copied directly from A Christmas Carol. Lazy. Despite that, I wish we would have read this for our book club's December book.
Diana
Nov 22, 2011 Diana marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I tried. I really did. I waded through almost 10 chapters. I thought it might be a fun vampire story like "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" but it was too much! I didn't mind the rambling and jumping around, but when the author described something as glowing "like a bad lobster in a dark cellar" I just couldn't take anymore!
Amanda
I enjoyed this book, but it's done primarily in the writing style of Dickens, so you should expect a bit harder reading level from it. I wouldn't say it's the greatest book ever, but I found it to be better than a lot of the reviews here on goodreads made it seem. I would be willing to give another book by this author a try.
Lesa Neace
This book takes the original Dickens story and adds vampires as the guiding force that made Scrooge the man he was prior to his encounter with the Christmas ghosts. An interesting twist on a holiday classic.
Gerry
wonderfully done ! now we know the truth about Scrooge ....
Joseph Harris
This book is pretty awful.
Misfit
Feb 08, 2013 Misfit marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
Make. It. Stop. Now.
Kelsey
Review pending...
Elise Hopkins
Elise Hopkins is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Tiffanie Dang
Tiffanie Dang marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Deana
Deana marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Alexandria Trimble
Alexandria Trimble marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Vicki Matthews
Vicki Matthews marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wuthering Bites Meet Arabella one girl journey with eosinophilic oesophagitis Evermore Trevor's Toothy Tale (Trevor the Tortoise)