The Last Voice They Hear

The Last Voice They Hear

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
An investigative journalist is in the middle of a publicity tour for his new book when a voice from the past phones him. Someone is killing happily married couples, looking for the right combination of age and attitude, the right sort of family ties. That someone might be the journalist's brother.
At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights...more
Published October 15th 1999 by Tor Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Voice They Hear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Voice They Hear

Clashton
Pretty boring book overall.

Some good moments, but the main character Geoff is a spineless twat.

Much of the book details how a warped upbringing damages the growth into adulthood, both of Geoff and his "bad guy" brother Ben. In Geoff's case it made him a deceitful person who keeps a lot of secrets buried (he never told his wife that he had a brother, and even after he finds out his brother is killing people, he keeps it secret instead of going to the police). I found his secretive, devious perso...more
Erin
If I were the type to stop reading books, I would have stopped this with this one. Books I want to read are many, and life is short.

An unthrilling thriller with hard-to-follow prose. Don't waste your time.
Angela
Geoff is happily married with a young son who is the delight of his life. A famous, successful investigative journalist, he is in the middle of a publicity tour when a voice on the phone plunges him into the darkest part of his past, and into a deadly present.

The voice is that of Geoff's long-missing brother, Ben. When they were children, Ben was blamed for every trouble, large or small. And Ben was not always innocent--he performed acts of vandalism; he stole; sometimes he seemed, even as a chi
Mandy
Starts off slowly - very slowly - and is a tad confusing, I have to say. Halfway through I was musing on whether to continue, but I'm glad I persevered; the final sections are very good, and contain some truly horrific moments without resorting to gore, as you'd expect from a master of understatement. If you gave up before, you might want to skim-read for a little further, and see where it takes you.
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Pamela Gricken
Pamela Gricken marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Tracy
Tracy added it
Aug 26, 2014
Toshada
Toshada marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Mariliis
Mariliis marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Judy Brown
Judy Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
William (Bill)
William (Bill) marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Marlean
Marlean marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Abdel Majid Hssine
Abdel Majid Hssine marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Matteo
Matteo added it
Apr 18, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Ks
Ks added it
Feb 23, 2014
Simon
Simon added it
Jan 11, 2014
Mathew
Mathew marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John Ramsey Campbell is a British writer considered by a number of critics to be one of the great masters of horror fiction. T. E. D. Klein has written that "Campbell reigns supreme in the field today," while S. T. Joshi has said that "future generations will regard him as the leading horror writer of our generation, every bit the equal of Lovecraft or Blackwood."
More about Ramsey Campbell...
The Hungry Moon Cold Print Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991 Ancient Images The Doll Who Ate His Mother