Start by marking “Stealing Fire from the Gods: The Complete Guide to Story for Writers and Filmmakers” as Want to Read:

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A revised and expanded sequel to Stealing Fire from the Gods, this 2nd edition includes important new revelations concerning the ultimate source of unity, the structures of the whole story passage, the anti-hero's journey, the high-concept great idea, the
Published July 1st 2006 by Michael Wiese Productions (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Fire from the Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Fire from the Gods

Brian Ging
Jul 16, 2007 Brian Ging rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers & Directors
Bonnet's work is absolute genius. I have always had this burning conviction inside myself as a writer to tell the TRUTH. To pull realism from the aspects I see in life and craft my characters to be real and true and human. I knew I had an even more important goal to achieve as a storyteller, but I couldn't put my finger on it. When watching films that had it, I of course could point it's quality out, but I did not know how those film's invisibly touched me. Unlike most films, I related to these ...more
Abner Rosenweig
This book contains some of the best explanations of what story is and why it matters. Writing books like this, the kind that give insight into the nature of myth, psychology, and the meaning of narrative and life itself, are most helpful to me as a writer and most deeply satisfying to me personally. Through my own reading of Jung, Campbell, Vogler, and countless other usual and unusual suspects, in addition to my own thinking, I have reached some similar conclusions, but Bonnet lucidly articulat ...more
Sep 02, 2007 Rebecca rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: novice writers and storytellers
Shelves: writing, mythology
I found this book to be half-finished. Bonnet would set up this great thesis, and then get distracted by something shiny early in his explaining. Despite the fact I took several notes, I feel like I actually got very little from the book (and this will probably show when I go to reflect on the notes and shamelessly delete the vast majority of them).

If you're just learning to craft a story, this might help you think about structure and archetypes, but you're better off going straight to mythology
Peggy Bechko
A good book, an excellent book in fact when it comes to content. Much wisdom for the new and established writer. Food for thought and to initiate new ideas.

However, the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is reader beware. It can get very dense in places and even dry to read. Still, very much worth rereading sections and pushing through.
Ke Huang
Although I am aware that the message of most writing guides is that the writer should spend time writing instead of reading these said guides, I found this book helpful because it helped me to think of stories from a writer's perspective instead of an academic one.
I gave it a 4 for content; I would give it a 3 for presentation. Definitely could have used an editor. I get frustrated when writers, particularly those telling others how to write do not know when to use ",which" and "that".
Kara Jensen
This book is not just a peek behind the curtain of good writing and filmmaking. After reading, there is no curtain. Life is different, and my priorities have changed.

Welcome to the modern aged bible...yeahhhh I said it ;)
Arend Anton
Recommended if you're currently writing, or even planning to write, a screenplay. The ideas presented in this book force you to think about the motivations of your characters, and the events that spur them to take action.
Ben Truax
It would have been more powerful without the oversimplification of the point and the overuse of examples to illustrate the point that was not being made.
I still don't think it's definitive, but he uses Campbell and McKee, etc. well. And what he says against the three act structure is interesting.
Therese Gilardi
another contribution from the world of film. i love the straight talk in this book, and the easy to understand examples.
Brian Callahan
The author does a very good job describing the structure of stories. He is not just describing stories but life itself.
Brian Laliberte
Another excellent source of inspiration and methodology for creating memorable stories.
If you are going to read one book on writing this is it.
Recommended in A Whole New Mind
Christian Williams
Jul 24, 2008 Christian Williams rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers
Recommended to Christian by: a bookshelf
I found this book full of wisdom.
Feb 09, 2009 Imran rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: filmmakers and writers
Shelves: filmbooks
Kaylene marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Luis David
Luis David marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Justin Kear
Justin Kear marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Simon Pearce
Simon Pearce marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Roberto Segovia
Roberto Segovia marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Jay Phipps
Jay Phipps is currently reading it
Oct 25, 2015
Beth 'Misselthwaite'
Beth 'Misselthwaite' marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Michael Luo
Michael Luo marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
  • Myth & the Movies: Discovering the Myth Structure of 50 Unforgettable Films
  • Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational ARC
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • Selling Your Story in 60 Seconds: The Guaranteed Way to Get Your Screenplay or Novel Read
  • The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Screenwriters: Insiders Secrets from Hollywood's Top Writers
  • The Definitive Guide To Screenwriting
  • Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great
  • The TV Writer's Workbook: A Creative Approach To Television Scripts
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • The Thirty Six Dramatic Situations
  • Plot
  • The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller
  • The Power of Film
  • How to Write Movie in 21 Days
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue & Vice for Box Office Success

“Myths and dreams,” according to Joseph Campbell, “are manifestations in image form (metaphors) of all of the energies of the body, moved by the organs, in conflict with each other.” 2 likes
“but the meanings hidden in great stories are universal,” 0 likes