Start by marking “A Crack in Melancholy Time” as Want to Read:
A Crack in Melancholy Time

A Crack in Melancholy Time

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  19 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
When last in Santa Fe, Blake Gladstone took a darkly surreal ride with Denise Loreaux through the depths of grief and loss, disdain and obsession.
With nowhere to go, he once again he finds himself destined for extinction. As the black curtains drop, Blake chances upon the one thing in the world that might keep him from complete and utter annihilation: a crack in melancholy
ebook
Published September 2011 by Crossroads Press

To ask other readers questions about A Crack in Melancholy Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Crack in Melancholy Time

Martin Reaves
Jun 09, 2013 Martin Reaves rated it it was amazing
Trent Zelazny further establishes his rightful place in the noir pantheon.

This is a continuation of Fractal Despondency, following almost immediately where Fractal left off, although we don’t really know how much time has passed—we get the sense our protagonist isn’t clear on that score, either. A Crack in Melancholy Time works very well on its own, but I highly recommend reading Fractal Despondency first—you will be glad you did.

Zelazny has been quoted as saying he felt Fractal Despondency is
Jennifer Wilson
Mar 01, 2012 Jennifer Wilson rated it really liked it
After experiencing Blake's trials and tribulations in Fractal Despondency, I was very glad to be immersed in what happened "after". It was very enjoyable getting another glimpse of what life had in store. While there was definitely more darkness and trouble to be had, the reengagement with a character that you grow to care about is definitely a plus.

As with all the other works I've read, this one was solidly written and the characterization is so vivid and breathtaking. The ability to breath li
FabulousRaye
Jun 02, 2013 FabulousRaye rated it really liked it
I have the audible version. I ended up listening to it twice in one day.

Zelazny is so right on. He knows about the darkness of depression. He understands what it's like to lose a loved one, to mourn them in the worst possible ways. He perfectly describes how addiction is. He comprehends what it's like to not want to go home again, not burden one's family. It almost makes me quite sad for him. One can't write about those sorts of things without living them.

Very good, well written, emotional story
Steven
Aug 30, 2015 Steven rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella, crime-noir
This sequel to Fractal Despondency is better. The prose is both tighter and more descriptive in this one, and Blake's existential crisis and grief is more fully explored, but as with a couple of other Zelazny novellas I think they lose power by being too long and too repetitive. Probably helps to have read Fractal, but this one can stand alone.
Jesse
Jan 04, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing
A Crack in Melancholy Time is a thought-provoking sequel to his melancholic masterpiece Fractal Despondency. I felt some things were still left open, but it does tie up several loose ends, and it works quite well. Zelazny's writing is often simplistic but always incredibly vivid. Both in this one and in Fractal Despondency, I'm right beside Blake every step of the way. I experience what he experiences, and feel what he feels. Great read.
Jeff
Mar 17, 2013 Jeff rated it it was amazing
When the weight of half-believed sins have crushed the "you" out of you what is left? Does life continue? Should it?
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Bill Westwood
Bill Westwood marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Gary McCluskey
Gary McCluskey rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Jessica Lindsley
Jessica Lindsley marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Mike Stack
Mike Stack rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Arcturus
Arcturus marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Mark Lewis
Mark Lewis rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Steven Shroyer
Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Christopher Wills
Christopher Wills marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Shihan Danijel
Shihan Danijel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Lisa Gorden
Lisa Gorden marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Lois Gresh
Lois Gresh marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Lillith
Lillith rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Steve (Morris)
Steve (Morris) rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2012
Liviu Oros
Liviu Oros rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2012
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Kat
Kat rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Trent Zelazny is the award-winning author of To Sleep Gently, Fractal Despondency, Butterfly Potion, Too Late To Call Texas, People Person, and Voiceless, as well as several other books and roughly 50 short stories. He is also an international playwright, and editor.

Son of late science fiction author Roger Zelazny, he was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He has lived in California, Oregon, and Florid
More about Trent Zelazny...

“I’m you, Blake. I’m a reflection of you, a multi-dimensional reflection. It’s easier to see a reflection of yourself than to see yourself in a reflection. It’s an inward/outward thing.” 7 likes
“The trick with that would be allowing yourself transparency, rather than trying to be transparent.” 3 likes