Start by marking “A Crack in Melancholy Time” as Want to Read:
A Crack in Melancholy Time

A Crack in Melancholy Time

4.62 of 5 stars 4.62  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
When last in Santa Fe, Blake Gladstone took a darkly surreal ride with Denise Loreaux through the depths of grief and loss, disdain and obsession.
With nowhere to go, he once again he finds himself destined for extinction. As the black curtains drop, Blake chances upon the one thing in the world that might keep him from complete and utter annihilation: a crack in melancholy
ebook
Published September 2011 by Crossroads Press

To ask other readers questions about A Crack in Melancholy Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Crack in Melancholy Time

Martin Reaves
Trent Zelazny further establishes his rightful place in the noir pantheon.

This is a continuation of Fractal Despondency, following almost immediately where Fractal left off, although we don’t really know how much time has passed—we get the sense our protagonist isn’t clear on that score, either. A Crack in Melancholy Time works very well on its own, but I highly recommend reading Fractal Despondency first—you will be glad you did.

Zelazny has been quoted as saying he felt Fractal Despondency is
Jennifer Wilson
After experiencing Blake's trials and tribulations in Fractal Despondency, I was very glad to be immersed in what happened "after". It was very enjoyable getting another glimpse of what life had in store. While there was definitely more darkness and trouble to be had, the reengagement with a character that you grow to care about is definitely a plus.

As with all the other works I've read, this one was solidly written and the characterization is so vivid and breathtaking. The ability to breath li
FabulousRaye
I have the audible version. I ended up listening to it twice in one day.

Zelazny is so right on. He knows about the darkness of depression. He understands what it's like to lose a loved one, to mourn them in the worst possible ways. He perfectly describes how addiction is. He comprehends what it's like to not want to go home again, not burden one's family. It almost makes me quite sad for him. One can't write about those sorts of things without living them.

Very good, well written, emotional story
Jesse
A Crack in Melancholy Time is a thought-provoking sequel to his melancholic masterpiece Fractal Despondency. I felt some things were still left open, but it does tie up several loose ends, and it works quite well. Zelazny's writing is often simplistic but always incredibly vivid. Both in this one and in Fractal Despondency, I'm right beside Blake every step of the way. I experience what he experiences, and feel what he feels. Great read.
Jeff
When the weight of half-believed sins have crushed the "you" out of you what is left? Does life continue? Should it?
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Arcturus
Arcturus marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Duane
Duane marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Tristan
Tristan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Christopher Wills
Christopher Wills marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Shihan Danijel
Shihan Danijel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Lisa Gorden
Lisa Gorden marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Lois Gresh
Lois Gresh marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Juhan Raud
Juhan Raud marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2011
Lori Anaple
Lori Anaple marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2011
Trent Zelazny is the award-winning author of To Sleep Gently, Fractal Despondency, Butterfly Potion, Too Late To Call Texas, People Person, and Voiceless. He is also an international playwright, and editor.

Son of late science fiction author Roger Zelazny, he was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He has lived in California, Oregon, Arizona, and Florida. He lives with his fiance, Laurel, and their dog,
More about Trent Zelazny...
Butterfly Potion Fractal Despondency To Sleep Gently Too Late to Call Texas Found Money

“I’m you, Blake. I’m a reflection of you, a multi-dimensional reflection. It’s easier to see a reflection of yourself than to see yourself in a reflection. It’s an inward/outward thing.” 7 likes
“The trick with that would be allowing yourself transparency, rather than trying to be transparent.” 3 likes