Start by marking “Rough Cut” as Want to Read:
Rough Cut

Rough Cut

Horror legend Harry Tuttle is desperate for a hit. Harry’s career has been on a painful slide ever since he directed a couple of box office winners in the 1980s. Enter Marcus Stegman, a young unknown with a horror picture of his own. It’s not only a brilliant debut — it’s the movie Harry always dreamed of making. A rivalry ensues — and it’s about to become bloody. A ...more
Published 2011 by Bad Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about Rough Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Cut

Jon Recluse
Jan 02, 2015 Jon Recluse rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A B movie director, watching his career and credibility go down the tubes doing quickie direct to DVD horror movies, makes a deal with a fan for the credits on an indie film that sends him spiralling into a nightmare.
Pinkerton shows his love for cheapie horror films, cliches and all, while giving the reader something to think about concerning indie film and realism on a budget and going gleefully over the edge in the bargain.

A fast, fun read with crossover appeal for horror fans.

Nick Kelly
Jul 25, 2013 Nick Kelly rated it it was amazing
Harry Tuttle’s name in Hollywood is synonymous with low-budget, direct-to-video horror releases. (If he was real, I would be the guy reviewing his flicks.) Despite starting his career with a bang, Harry has gone on to release over a dozen el cheapo horror stories with names like “Schizo Sisters”, “Swamp Monster”, “Hillbilly Cannibals”, and “I’ll Skin You Alive.” Each film has been panned by critics and even the production company spokesman privately bashes the work.
As a result, Harry has found h
Hal Bodner
Apr 28, 2012 Hal Bodner rated it it was amazing
Pinkerton's "Rough Cut" was easily one of the half dozen best novels I read last year. The premise is as clever as it is absurdly simple. A has-been film director stumbles across an amazing new film, contacts the movie's unknown director, makes a deal to take credit for the film himself, revitalizes his career, and ends up suffering terrible consequences due to his fraud.

One could talk about the novel's strongly drawn characters or the crispness of the plot,or the author's clear familiarity with
Nick Cato
Oct 14, 2011 Nick Cato rated it it was amazing
Harry Tuttle directed a few popular horror films in the 80s. Since then he has been churning out bad, low budget features, many which go direct to DVD or cable TV, barely keeping a cult following. When his ex-wife marries a hot-shot Hollywood director and begins to get famous, he becomes inspired to get back on track. The problem is, Harry finally comes to the realization that he just doesn't have it anymore. He has become a hack.

One day he screens a new film given to him by a young wanna-be dir
Paul Penney
Apr 21, 2014 Paul Penney rated it did not like it
I generally enjoy Pinkerton's books, but if you are thinking of trying his books, choose one of his others. I expected action or murder or kidnapping or something exciting, but I read over 100 pages and NOTHING happened. Some guys made movies, went to parties, made some deals and other such trivial boredom, but nobody had been kidnapped, murdered, or even involved in a fight. There was no conflict, no suspense, and no real plot, so I deleted it and moved on to my next read. I hope this is the ...more
Scott James
Apr 29, 2012 Scott James rated it it was amazing
After hearing the Author read from this book, I immediately when and bought a copy to read on my plane flight home. far and away it was the best money I spent that weekend, and it is a book I will loan, promote, and share out to many others before my copy finally expires.

Then I'll buy another one.

Brian Pinkerton has successfully updated the noir thriller to the 21st century, and I look forward to reading many more such offerings from him in the future.

Rebecca Hirsch
Rebecca Hirsch rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2011
Darren
Darren rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2012
Lisette
Nov 13, 2013 Lisette rated it it was amazing
A total thrill from start to finish. Loved this one and the insider view of Hollywood.
Rena Mason
Feb 21, 2014 Rena Mason rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Daniel White
Daniel White rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Rioronin
Rioronin rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Tristan
Tristan rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
Oskar
Oskar rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2011
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2012
Scott Emerson
Scott Emerson marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2011
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2012
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2012
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Andrey Dolganov
Andrey Dolganov marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Angel Gelique
Angel Gelique marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
JAC
JAC marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Ms. Nikki
Ms. Nikki marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Sally Serafino
Sally Serafino marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Diane Willwerth
Diane Willwerth is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Shawn Bailey
Shawn Bailey marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2016
Brian Pinkerton is the author of Abducted, Vengeance, Rough Cut, Killer’s Diary, How I Started the Apocalypse, Bender, Anatomy of Evil and Killing the Boss. Select titles have also been released as audio books, ebooks and in foreign languages.

Brian’s short stories have appeared in anthologies including Chicago Blues, PULP! and Zombie Zoology. His screenplays have finished in the top 100 of Project
More about Brian Pinkerton...