Start by marking “Hunted (Flash Gold Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Hunted

Lindsay Buroker

Hunted (Flash Gold Chronicles #2)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,161 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Self-taught tinkerer Kali McAlister is determined to build an airship and escape the frigid Yukon forever. Unfortunately, she’s the heir to the secrets of flash gold, an alchemical energy source that tends to make her a popular target for bandits, gangsters, and pirates.

With the help of her bounty-hunting business partner, Cedar, Kali has outwitted and eluded attackers be
Nook, 0 pages
Published August 12th 2011 by Lindsay Buroker, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Hunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunted

Daniel
May 26, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odlican nastavak price. Likovi su dobili malo na dubini, steampunk kontrapcije su isto malo vise u fokusu price a sve ukupni tok dobija malo na svojoj dubini.

Jedino sto mi smeta jeste kratkoca ovih knjizica posto su u sustini za sada citaju vise kao delovi jedne normalne knjige.

Ako vam se svidela prethodna samo navalite.
Marla
Apr 17, 2012 Marla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
I debated a bit before buying these next two books, mostly because they were so short and I wanted a more full length book, but they are getting longer.
We get to know a little bit more about Kali and Cedar in this one. They have fun banter and I just enjoy these two characters. Again, I wished it was longer, but the plot resolves itself and it give the story time to progress a bit before we rejoin Kali and Cedar in the next book as their plans continue.
Megan Hicks
Hunted was a fun follow up to Lindsey Buroker's first Flash Gold novella. My review of her earlier effort sums up my feelings on the series, but I'll reiterate it here: the Flash Gold series is fast and fun. I appreciated getting some of my questions from the first novella answered. Fun dialogue, interesting, likeable characters, and a quick moving plot all make Hunted well worth the money you'd spend on it and the hour or so it takes to read.

A few things, however, could use some polishing. The
Mia Darien
Mar 13, 2012 Mia Darien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, apparently I'm now a Lindsay Buroker fan. This is the third story of hers I've read and I really liked them all. The hard part for me is that Buroker is one of those authors that is so good, I find myself feeling entirely inferior in my own writing! Not many authors do that to me, but she does. She's that good.

This is the second novella in her Flash Gold steampunk stories. The first one, Flash Gold, was fantastic and there's not much I can say about this one that wasn't said about the othe
Leeland Artra
Review Gist: Quick, fun steampunk/fantasy novella you can read in a few hours. Recommend you buy it.

Hunted is a novella and that is my major issue with it. I enjoy the characters and where the story is going. Yet the short story format caused many things that would have been fun to explore to be skipped.

This is the second novella in the Flash Gold set being created by Lindsey Buroker. In this story Kali and Ceder evolve past being caricatures of Amaranthe and Sicarius from Emperor’s Edge.

The sto
C.
Jan 29, 2012 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kali's dream of building an airship to sail out of the frigid Yukon is her main ambition but she keeps getting herself in trouble with people who want to steal her 'limited' knowledge of her deceased father's invention. People come out of the woodwork to hunt her down, and this includes her dubious, last lover, Sebastian. Just when things are calming down a bit and she wants to get working on her airship, Sebastian shows up with a job offer. With Cedar, luckily, in tow, the two set off on an adv ...more
Marlene
Mar 09, 2012 Marlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/03...

Hunted is the second book in Lindsay Buroker's Flash Gold Chronicles. If you like western-themed steampunk, you'll love the Flash Gold Chronicles. Start with the first story, Flash Gold (reviewed here) and just keep right on reading. You'll be glad you did.

Hunted picks right up where Flash Gold left off. So there will be some spoilers for Flash Gold in this review. (It's difficult to review book 2 of a series without sp
Denise
May 22, 2016 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2016
Kali has moved on from Moose Hollow with her new business partner, the bounty hunter she only knows as Cedar, but earning enough money to build the airship she dreams of to escape the Yukon takes time. And no matter where she goes, she still has gangsters and bandits of all sorts after her, seeking to learn the secret of the alchemical compound flash gold that Kali's father invented. Now an entirely unwelcome guest sets foot into her new workshop: Her former beau Sebastian, who sold her out and ...more
cam
I liked the book but it wasn't.... As good as I thought It would be. The first book was great. It had enough action and dialogue to keep it moving at a nice pace, without making it too rushed or slow. It is something that I've noticed from this author: stories sometimes drag on and although they are action packed, I often find myself skimming through stuff I don't care enough about. Anyways, I loved the emperor's edge series and I was willing to give this one a try regardless of my sentiments ab ...more
Patricia Eddy
Jul 24, 2012 Patricia Eddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My only problem with these little novelas is that I finish them too quickly.

Another story of Kali and Cedar and this one was just as good as the first. We get to see more of Cedar's personality in this one, and how he and Kali interact. The action sequences in this book are very well written, and the mystery is short and sweet. I really enjoy the description of the inventions that Kali makes and her thinking behind them. Excellent detail, snappy dialog, and a very enjoyable read.
Hali Sowle
Another fun romp from Lindsay Buroker. Second novella in the Flash Gold Series finds Kali and Cedar are now partners in his bounty hunting business and while she's no longer in Moose Hollow she hasn't gone far and trouble has caught up with her again in the person of her ex Sebastian. If Sebastian wasn't enough there is someone else out to get her, someone who has a flair for the building of contraptions as well. Good, well written story that was over too soon.
Cat
Mar 11, 2014 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This felt like it had much more action than the first book - and I really enjoyed that one already - so this was kicking it up a notch!

More of Kali and Cedar, in all the best ways! You even get to see Sebastian (which sucks for me because I really love that name and hate to see it use for a douchebag!). You also get a new, evil genius villain, and this villain is going to be one tough cookie to crack.

Great story; lots of action, lots of steampunk-iness, some romance, and one crazy interesting ba
Ricardo Moedano
Feb 23, 2015 Ricardo Moedano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fellow-indies
The badinage between Cali and Cedar is like a fuel - it makes you finish this book fast. They're so freaking comical, even amid shootings and explosions, that you chortle and gasp over and over. Lindsay keeps our adrelanile rushing as well as our spirits blithe once again. Highly entertaining!
A.Z. Green
Love love LOVE Lindsay Buroker. Her EE series is fab and Flash Gold doesn't disappoint. It's shorter than her other books but that just makes me want to read more. I love Kali's and Cedar's banter. I love the world building and the steampunk essence that Lindsay portrays so well. She has a natural talent for creating wonderful worlds, people and describing them beautifully.
From the get-go I'm absorbed and can't put them down.
Best line ever: "Spud to the jugular. Embarrassing way to go." You'll
Hannah
Hunted is a huge improvement on Flash Gold - while I liked the first installment, the story, pace and, most importantly, the banter and bonds between the main characters really picked up by a mile in the sequel. No sophomore curse here, that's for sure.

The character development for Kali and Cedar is probably the aspect most responsible for my increased enjoyment of the sequel - I feel like our leads have eased into their new partnership (or perhaps the author eased into the writing of these char
Cathy  Keaton
She does it again—Lindsay does some more awesome! In this sequel to “Flash Gold,” Kali and Cedar are working together and splitting their earnings 50/50, while both striving to achieve very different goals. Kali wants to get out of town in a self-made airship, which she hasn't been able to build yet, and Cedar wants to kill the man he's been tracking since the first story. But, Kali's lovely former fiance strolls into town and shakes things up a bit.

It's fun to finally meet Sebastian, the jerk t
Jenna
Nov 25, 2011 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Miss Buroker produces an entertaining tale of adventure and danger in her sequel to 'Flash Gold'. Kali has managed to set up another shop with her new partner, Cedar, and things seem relatively calm for them until Kali's old beau shows up with a business proposition and Cedar gets wind of his long-time nemesis being in town. Of course, mayhem and chaos ensue and the two of them soon become caught up in a deadly situation.

I think one of my favorite aspects of this series is how the c
Reena Jacobs
Jul 13, 2012 Reena Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expect my review September 19, 2011 at Ramblings of an Amateur Writer: http://wp.me/pPz8s-1Lu

One thing I like about Buroker books is the writing is descriptive in all the right places. The same goes for Hunted. Plus, Hunted was a short and easy read, a trait I'm truly appreciating these days.

This time around, Kali and Cedar work on ironing out their relationship -- both on the business and romantic front. "Does he like or like-like me? But if he's trying to rip me off, perhaps he doesn't like me
Douglas Bittinger
Dec 23, 2011 Douglas Bittinger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hunted is the second novella in the Flash Gold Chronicles series by Lindsay Buroker. In this story Ms. Buroker continues the adventure begun in Flash Gold with Kali and Cedar, bow business partners as bounty hunters. They’ve left Moose Jaw and are setting out upon a new adventure seeking Cedar’s arch nemesis, both for the bounty and for personal vengeance. This takes them to a mining camp out in the wilds of the Yukon where they encounter Kali’s greatest enemy, and her hero, and find themselves ...more
Lee
Aug 29, 2012 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, steam-punk
This story continues right where we left off with the two main characters now working together on various enterprises and alkali still working on her dream, an actual flying airship. Gangsters are after her because they want the Flash Gold and we learn that the law is after Cedar, so we have many options for action here. Again with this chapter in the story, Ms Buroker provides us with excellent characterizations and wonderful character chatter. The witty banter between the two main characters p ...more
Matt
Nov 27, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon Lindsay Buroker's work last spring while I was in Iraq and thoroughly enjoyed her novel The Emperor’s Edge and the novella Flash Gold, the novella particularly sticking with me because of the underpinning of steampunk, a bit of action/mystery and tiny twinges of a blooming romance. The story just worked for me with plenty of action and the witty banter of the main character.

Now Ms Buroker has released a second novella in the series, continuing the adventures of the two main chara
Jeffrey Poole
Aug 25, 2011 Jeffrey Poole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another gem from the a master of American Steampunk!

I had heard that the author was going to write another story in this series. That said, I would encourage purchasers of this novella to also purchase and read Flash Gold first as it will help the reader understand more about the two main characters.

This story picks up a few months after the events of Flash Gold. Kali and Cedar are in a new town and have set up a shop for cliens who might be in need of their unique services. When Kali’s ex comes
Scott
Aug 24, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunted by Lindsay Buroker is the second book in the Flash Gold Chronicles. This is another fantastic steampunk book by an author that has mastered the genre. Hunted continues the story of Kali McAlister and Cedar. Cedar is a bounty hunter who has enlisted Kali's skills with invention to help him catch his targets making her a 50/50 partner. Kali dreams of getting enough money to build an airship that will allow her to escape the frozen tundra of the Yukon.

Kali accepted Cedar's offer not only be
Kelly
I loved the first book in this series. Loved it. When I saw that there was a second book starring the lovely, mechanically minded Kali and her mysterious partner Cedar I was all over it. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Kali is still a mechanical whiz. Cedar is still mysterious. Kali might like Cedar in more than just a business partner sense but she's pretty clueless when it comes to relationships and she doesn't know how to let him know this. Cedar begins to loosen th
Alyisse Chappell
Oct 03, 2015 Alyisse Chappell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooh I got chills !!!

I really enjoyed part 2 in this saga. The story's completely unlike anything I normally read and I think that made it even more fun to read. It's not fair how well the writer has painted her characters though, there's nothing worse than being laid in bed wishing you're there in the story with the guy you are reading about. Ooh I get so jealous of Kali. Gonna read part 3 sometime after I get through the next in the Song of Ice and Fire series.
Beth Hobson
Jan 05, 2012 Beth Hobson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a steampunk adventure that is filled with Lindsay Buroker's usual flair and humorous banter. The limited amount of characters in the story ensure that everyone is nice and easy to keep track of, something that is great if you're looking for a concoction that is both enjoyable and relaxing.

The only bad thing about this novella, aside from a few typos, was the fact that it was just way too short. I like knowing that once I've really gotten into a story, that I have at least a few good hours
Whitebeard Books
Lindsay Buroker has done it again. I read the teaser, Flash Gold and she planted the hook solidly. Could not wait to read the next episode in this little series. Now I'm left hoping for more of the same. The leading lady in the series is still sought after by all sorts of desperates and it is simply a matter of time before she and the "tree man" hook up. So come on, what happens next Lindsay?
Illium
Jan 17, 2012 Illium rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Kali and Cedar are back! Kali, leaving Moose Hallow, now lives in Dawson with her bounty-hunter business partner Cedar. Kali is back to tinkering with gadgets so she can leave the cold-harsh Yukon. Unfortunately, the last man she expects to walk in her shop is the one person she hates the most. Her ex-fiance Sebastian offers her his latest scheme and if she accepts, it may pan out to be a lucrative financial investment. But how can she trust someone like Sebastian - a conniving, con artist who b ...more
Atomicblue
I definitely see similarity between Kali/Amaranthe and Cedar/Sicarius but since I'm still craving more of the emperor's edge characters, it's not a bad thing and they definitely aren't the exact same. The dialogue is very similar though, and while Kali is more mechanically inclined than Amaranthe, she has the same knack for getting into and out of trouble. Very entertaining!
Francesca
Oct 08, 2015 Francesca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again this teeny tiny book has felt like a mad race from start to finish with no stop to catch your breath. The forced romance at the start has developed quite naturally and I love the (brief) encounter with someone from Kali's past. I feel like I'm reading chapters rather than whole stories and even though I want to rush ahead I also want it to go on forever.
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • The Alchemist's Flame (The Final Formula Series, #3)
  • James Games
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Evil Red (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.6)
  • The Junior Bridesmaid
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Hatshepsut's Collar (Artifact Hunters #2)
  • Timepiece (Timepiece #1)
  • Revenge of the Mad Scientist (Airship Adventure Chronicles #1)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Clockwork Wolf (Disenchanted & Co., #2)
  • Skies of Steel (The Ether Chronicles, #3)
I'm a professional blogger by day and an indie fantasy author by night. Evenings belong to the dogs, tennis, and books.
More about Lindsay Buroker...

Flash Gold Chronicles (5 books)
  • Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • Claimed (The Flash Gold Chronicles #4)
  • Liberty: (Flash Gold Chronicles, #5)

“You want me to buy a dress with my airship money?” “It was just a thought.” She considered him for a moment, then plucked at her grime-streaked overalls. “Would you dance with me if I wore this?” “Of course.” His blue eyes crinkled. “Though now that most of the snow has melted, nudity is an option too.” “I’ll buy a dress.” “If you insist.” 0 likes