Start by marking “One White Wishing Stone: A Beach Day Counting Book” as Want to Read:
One White Wishing Stone: A Beach Day Counting Book

One White Wishing Stone: A Beach Day Counting Book

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
National Geographic Books present a delightful new title that is sure to become a children's summer classic.

Writer Doris Gayzagian and illustrator Kristina Swarner have collaborated to produce a magical, poetic counting book. A mother and child's day at the beach is brought to life in 32 beautifully illustrated pages of simple verse, capturing every child's delight in the
Published May 9th 2006 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about One White Wishing Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One White Wishing Stone

Flotsam by David WiesnerOne White Wishing Stone by Doris K. GayzagianA House for Hermit Crab by Eric CarleMister Seahorse by Eric CarleInto the Sea by Brenda Z. Guiberson
Picture Books About Seaside/Beaches
2nd out of 77 books — 6 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingOver Sea, Under Stone by Susan CooperThe Sword in the Stone by T.H. WhiteThe Moonstone by Wilkie CollinsBrighton Rock by Graham Greene
Rocks and Stones
48th out of 76 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Jul 01, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of the ocean, beach, or counting books
A beautiful love letter to the sea! The lovely illustrations made me feel very peaceful and tied to nature, and the poem is very good (I hate to say it, but sometimes authors do fudge a bit since they are writing for kids which I find so demeaning and annoying!) Definitely recommended for anyone who loves the sea/beach.
Lisa Vegan
Jan 30, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love beautiful illustrations, the beach, who want a non-boring counting book
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
This book reminded me of the fun of and the magic of spending days at the beach as a young child. It also depicts a lovely day spent together by a daughter and mother, and shows the pleasure of collecting, and shows the ebb and flow of things, how the sea gives and takes away.

The poem is excellent and the illustrations are luminous and beautiful. There aren’t too many words on each page and the numbers go to only 10 so this is suitable for young children, but even children who already find it ea
Crystal Marcos
Jul 16, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
This book was a selection of the July Children's Picture Book Club found here:

My 2 year old and I read this book together. I believe it is perfect for her age. She likes counting books and she also likes the ocean/beach, really anything to do with water. The illustrations were beautiful and the story was a simple one that the youngest of children can follow. I enjoyed the author's description of the beach findings. It made for a great read aloud.
Cassie
Oct 13, 2015 Cassie rated it really liked it
Title: One White Wishing Stone: A Beach Day Counting Book
Author: Doris K. Gayzagian
Illustrator: Kristina Swarner
Genre: Counting Book; Rhyme
Theme(s): Nature; Counting; Sea life
Opening line/sentence:
Brief Book summary: The young girl and her mother take a trip to the beach. The girl counts many of the wonders on the beach, like the shells and tide pools.
Professional Review 1:
"Gayzagian has written a beautiful poem that has been illustrated by Kristina Swarner to make a charming beach counting
milk book
Apr 22, 2016 milk book rated it it was amazing
Time slows down as a mother and daughter have a perfect seaside day. The little girl is lost to the wonders of what washes ashore, from “one white wishing stone, smooth and round and cool” to “ten tiny sandpipers – see how fast they run”. The poem is excellent, lulling and rhythmic to read. The paintings are soft and impressionistic. The book has a peaceful and contented quality. Although it is a counting book, the quality of the poem and illustrations, as well as, the seaside discoveries makes ...more
Dolly
Jul 26, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Lovely rhyming and lyrical words accompanied by soft, impressionistic illustrations make this book a gem to read. It's a counting book, but it's also an exploration of the seashore, perfect for a summer day.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the July 2011: Seaside/Beaches books discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books group here at Goodreads. I'm very glad that we had the opportunity to read this book!
Linda
Jul 24, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, by-the-sea
I learned about this book through a COttey College newsletter - the review was enticing, I love beautifully illustrated children's books, and I love the sea. The book met all my expectations. I will no doubt buy it for each of my grown-up children, just as a lovely souvenir of time spent at Gleneden Beach, Oregon, during their childhood summers.
Janet
Feb 08, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok
This beach book uses the concept of counting to explore the various items one encounters at the beach. With the exception of two illustrations, this book was not appealing to me visually. I did like the sandcastle with the various items pushed into the walls for decoration. Also the tide surrounding the sandcastle had visual appeal for me.
Samantha
A poetic counting story in which a young girl gathers mementos from the beach and uses them to decorate a sand castle. She saves the wishing stone, though in order to make a wish for another day as perfect. A fun seasonal read aloud with watercolor and pencil prints. PreK-2.
Susan
Jun 20, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Not every day at the beach is a splashing good times joyfest, sometimes the beauty of seasideness is the quiet (hello Mary Oliver). This gentle book with its poetic, almost Victorian feel, counts starfish and scallop shells and adds up to lovely.
Jane G Meyer
Wish I had written this book! :) A perfect gift for a little girl who lives by or visits the seashore.

(Maybe a frustrating book for someone who lives landlocked and can't ever get to the beach--because this book makes you want to go!)

Dianna
Oct 20, 2010 Dianna rated it really liked it
This book was a perfect follow-up to our short beach trip earlier this fall. While my son (and I!) didn't know what all the objects were, he still enjoyed the book very much. I loved the breathtaking illustrations.
Ellen
Nov 13, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: numbers
Beautiful picture book about counting at the beach from National Geographic
Jun 10, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime, rhyme
Toddler/ Preschool storytime- beach theme
Jennifer LaGarde
Jennifer LaGarde rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Katie Beth
Katie Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Mariah Rettenmeier
Mariah Rettenmeier marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Camille Lucas
Camille Lucas marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Sg
Sg rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Claire
Claire added it
Jul 11, 2015
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Cian
Cian rated it did not like it
May 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »