Start by marking “Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End, #1)” as Want to Read:
Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End, #1)

Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,620 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
With the unique blend of truth and humor that made her first novel, What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day, a huge bestseller, Pearl Cleage returns with an extraordinary novel that is rich in character, steeped in sisterhood, and bursting with unexpected love... and maybe just a little magic.

Depending on the time of day, Regina Burns is a woman on the edge of a nervous
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 4th 2009 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2003)

Malika
Aug 01, 2011 Malika rated it liked it
It was only "ok" for me. Didn't have the charm of the "what crazy looks like..." or the build up of the "love" story that "red dress" did. You never really got to know Blue, Doo Doo was just a shadow of a bad guy with only 1 or 2 lines of dialog. The story moved slowly and then about 50 pages from the end, it turned into a sprint. Enjoyable, but not her best.
Kimz Zahour
I enjoyed the characters in this book and the friendships building between them along their journey. I especially liked Aunt Abbie who considers herself to be a visionary advisor.
My favorite quote:
"I don't hear voices," she sniffed. "I have visions. There's a difference, although you're still too full of estrogen to understand it." Aunt Abbie goes on the say "Estrogen is fine, but it definitely blocks a lot of female magic, especially the stuff having to do with being able to see the past and pr
Atena Oyadi
Jan 17, 2008 Atena Oyadi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone who wants a good sista story
I was able to get pretty engaged with this story. I like the stories she has to tell - they are compelling. I think it's interesting that she starts the story talking about drug addiction as though it were merely a series of bad decisions, with few physical or psychological ramifications beyond the loss of cash and property. I think she treats the topic a little too lightly, and with a smidge of judgement.

I also take issue with the way she presents this "neighborhood cleansing," without much que
Lynecia
Jan 13, 2008 Lynecia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys love stories...with a twist
Recommended to Lynecia by: Teacakes
Shelves: aa-fiction
I really enjoyed this book--Pearl Cleage has a wonderful knack for heartwarming love stories and then sneaking in a little politics (lol). All in all, she's weaved and wonderful love story--one that has traveled through time--literally!
Shauna
Oct 09, 2007 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the hopeful
this book touches me..i have read it over and over and always find soemthing new to take away from it...i love pearl cleage as an author and will rread anything she writes
Tracy Darity
Sep 05, 2011 Tracy Darity rated it really liked it
Some Things I Never Thought I’d Do by Pearl Cleage is somewhat of an urban fantasy romance. The story opens in Washington D.C. with Regina Burns having just returned home from rehab and is on the verge of losing the family home. With the guidance of her Aunt Abbie, she returns to Atlanta where all her problems began, the intention being to raise the required cash to appease the banker who half-heartedly wants to help her save the house that the aunt has mysteriously taken up residence in during ...more
Lachelle René ~Reading: It does the body good!~
I love Pearl Cleage. I just do. Her books just make me smile, laugh, gasp, mmmm hmmmm, and I'm sure there are a lot more things I do out loud when I'm reading or listening to her books. For me, her books are relate-able . I can see the characters and feel what I think they are feeling. In this book, man... the main character could have been me. I related on so many levels. I felt so much (and not the feelings like, you wish the book was over type feelings). When I FEEL when reading a book, and I ...more
Heather
Jul 22, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Pearl Cleage is an amazing author. She writes what would be classified as African American fiction, but I really consider it more women's fiction. Her characters are believable and likable, even though they are truly flawed human beings - maybe because of it? But her women are strong, stronger than they realize, and they grow and deepen in character throughout her novels. This novel is no different, with the main character recently out of rehab and trying to put her life back together. I highly ...more
Jazzmen Brown
Nov 10, 2015 Jazzmen Brown rated it liked it
I liked it. I was a feel-good light hearted read for me. I put it down a few times, but I always came back to it. I described it as a book to refresh my reading palate when I'm reading extreme genres.
Sarauna
Oct 14, 2014 Sarauna rated it it was ok
Read it in a day, but there just was no development. The love story was rushed, the magical element just came off as an afterthought. It was still well written, her descriptions made you feel the energy of the communities she explored, but the storyline itself could have used more conviction.
De
Jan 27, 2008 De rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.
Jill
Jun 19, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
This is the first time I've read this author and enjoy this book. I would most likely, read something else of hers. She has a relax style, fresh and mature style. Well done.
Darlene
Mar 22, 2012 Darlene rated it really liked it
This was a story of helping and doing the right thing with a love story mixed in. I love Pearl Cleage. These are characters I grew attached to. I hated to see the book come to an end.
Rebecca ''BUTTER'' Garrett
Jul 20, 2014 Rebecca ''BUTTER'' Garrett rated it it was amazing
PEARL CLEAGE IS JUST AN EXTRAORDINARY AUTHOR...I LOVE HER STYLE :)
Deanna
Nov 17, 2007 Deanna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
Great book. Thanks for recommending it B. I am kind of sad its over.
Brittany
Jan 24, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok
This book was too ambitious. There were too many themes and stories and as a result the resolution was lackluster.
Sj
Jun 02, 2011 Sj rated it really liked it
Read this for the first time 8 years ago, and reading again for my bookclub selection. Still resonates with me in many, many ways...my favorite by one of my favorite authors!
Maria Noel
Nov 28, 2007 Maria Noel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Pearl Cleage does it again!
Sandra Menefee
Mar 10, 2011 Sandra Menefee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Atlanta's West End. The author knows the area. I found this book interesting and it held my attention. The ending was very unexpected.
That's what made it good reading.
Brenda Blakely
Jan 06, 2017 Brenda Blakely rated it it was amazing
I loved the African American cultural heritage here, perspectives I had previously no clue, offered with life, colour and music. This was such a fun, easy read. The characters are intriguing and grow with the plot. I love the scene changes and the vibrancy and memories in each location.
Delaney Diamond
Sep 04, 2013 Delaney Diamond rated it really liked it
This story is about Regina Burns and how she turned her life around after getting hooked on drugs and almost losing her mother’s house. Cleage didn’t dwell much on the drug abuse, but it was the reason that Regina found herself in the predicament she did. There are other themes as well, such as the role of men in society–whether their role is as protector or predator—and how they treat women and children.

Cleage also touches on how black men are perceived in society at large, and whether or not
eknames
Feb 22, 2017 eknames rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Blow Pop
Jul 20, 2015 Blow Pop rated it really liked it
Content warnings: mentions of rape, mentions of murder, mentions of death, threats of violence, implied violence, mentions of drugs, alcohol usage, implied sex

This was honestly better than I was expecting. I mean I was expecting it to be good because she's a good author but it exceeded my expectations (or maybe my expectations were lower than normal due to being badly disappointed in the past....regardless though).

I ADORE Nat King Cole. I need to put that out there. Because the author quotes fro
Christina
Audrey
Feb 18, 2017 Audrey rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
got out of library on kindle...chick-lit ... good airplane book.
Teaguem2005
Feb 13, 2013 Teaguem2005 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. I was invested by the first chapter's end. I really had a visual of Blue and appreciated the man who appreciated, protected, and respected the women who both unwittingly as well as willingly sought his protection. Blue was a man's man and sought to guide and teach even though he only intended to deliver his lesson one time.

I loved the fact that Aunt Abbie was old school whilst still open to accept her newly acquired gift. Thought it hilarious that she kept
Angie
Nov 23, 2009 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
started: so far, i really like this narrator. i think i must have heard her before. and the story is realistic, with just enough of a touch of the magical to make it more interesting.
(30 seconds later) AH-HA! i knew it! i listened to Cleage's What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day about a decade ago, and it stuck with me as a great narrator and a great story.

end: great story, but not quite realistic. i don't think there is a guy as cool and collected and wonderful and thrice-divorced like Blue
June
Sep 07, 2016 June rated it liked it
I enjoyed the characters. I liked the bonding between Beth and her grandson. Regina finally believed what her aunt said in the end.
Tasha
Nov 28, 2016 Tasha rated it really liked it
This book didn't live up to the expectations set by other works I've read by this author. That being said, the story here, one of relationships and community, is still a good read. As the characters are developed, readers learn their past, even finding that some are tied together in ways that few might expect. The primary plot is that of a community being cared for by members of the community instead of them depending on law enforcement to manage this task. There are several subplots, all intere ...more
Christina
Jan 30, 2016 Christina rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I love the positivity of Pearl Cleage's writing and probably would have given this another star and a half if not for the bizarro supernatural element she dropped in like an afterthought. Not much lead up, very little follow up. A record scratch in the middle of an otherwise perfectly fine novel.

This is only my second book by her, but in both there's been a wounded, imperfect woman who finds the love of a idealized man...a trend I find a little concerning. Also, there were more questions to be
  • Some Love, Some Pain, Sometime: Stories
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • The Itch
  • Nowhere Is a Place
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Tumbling
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl Cl
More about Pearl Cleage...

West End (5 books)
  • Babylon Sisters (West End, #2)
  • Baby Brother's Blues (West End, #3)
  • Till You Hear from Me (West End, #4)
  • Just Wanna Testify (West End, #5)

“Buying flowers is not just a way to bring home beauty. It's an expression of confidence that better days are coming. It's a defiant finger in the face of those naysayers who would have you believe your fortunes will never improve.” 6 likes
“You can only get your heart broke so many times before you forget how to offer it up at all.” 0 likes