Start by marking “Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do” as Want to Read:
Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do

Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do (West End #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,290 ratings  ·  67 reviews
With the unique blend of truth and humor that made her first novel, What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day, a huge bestseller, Pearl Cleage returns with an extraordinary novel that is rich in character, steeped in sisterhood, and bursting with unexpected love... and maybe just a little magic.

Depending on the time of day, Regina Burns is a woman on the edge of a nervous
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 4th 2009 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do

Kimz Zahour
I enjoyed the characters in this book and the friendships building between them along their journey. I especially liked Aunt Abbie who considers herself to be a visionary advisor.
My favorite quote:
"I don't hear voices," she sniffed. "I have visions. There's a difference, although you're still too full of estrogen to understand it." Aunt Abbie goes on the say "Estrogen is fine, but it definitely blocks a lot of female magic, especially the stuff having to do with being able to see the past and pr
Malika
It was only "ok" for me. Didn't have the charm of the "what crazy looks like..." or the build up of the "love" story that "red dress" did. You never really got to know Blue, Doo Doo was just a shadow of a bad guy with only 1 or 2 lines of dialog. The story moved slowly and then about 50 pages from the end, it turned into a sprint. Enjoyable, but not her best.
Atena Oyadi
Jan 17, 2008 Atena Oyadi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Someone who wants a good sista story
I was able to get pretty engaged with this story. I like the stories she has to tell - they are compelling. I think it's interesting that she starts the story talking about drug addiction as though it were merely a series of bad decisions, with few physical or psychological ramifications beyond the loss of cash and property. I think she treats the topic a little too lightly, and with a smidge of judgement.

I also take issue with the way she presents this "neighborhood cleansing," without much que
Lynecia
May 02, 2014 Lynecia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys love stories...with a twist
Recommended to Lynecia by: Teacakes
Shelves: aa-fiction, bookshelf
I really enjoyed this book--Pearl Cleage has a wonderful knack for heartwarming love stories and then sneaking in a little politics (lol). All in all, she's weaved and wonderful love story--one that has traveled through time--literally!
Shauna
Oct 09, 2007 Shauna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the hopeful
this book touches me..i have read it over and over and always find soemthing new to take away from it...i love pearl cleage as an author and will rread anything she writes
Heather
Pearl Cleage is an amazing author. She writes what would be classified as African American fiction, but I really consider it more women's fiction. Her characters are believable and likable, even though they are truly flawed human beings - maybe because of it? But her women are strong, stronger than they realize, and they grow and deepen in character throughout her novels. This novel is no different, with the main character recently out of rehab and trying to put her life back together. I highly ...more
Blow Pop
Content warnings: mentions of rape, mentions of murder, mentions of death, threats of violence, implied violence, mentions of drugs, alcohol usage, implied sex

This was honestly better than I was expecting. I mean I was expecting it to be good because she's a good author but it exceeded my expectations (or maybe my expectations were lower than normal due to being badly disappointed in the past....regardless though).

I ADORE Nat King Cole. I need to put that out there. Because the author quotes fro
Sarauna
Read it in a day, but there just was no development. The love story was rushed, the magical element just came off as an afterthought. It was still well written, her descriptions made you feel the energy of the communities she explored, but the storyline itself could have used more conviction.
Darlene
This was a story of helping and doing the right thing with a love story mixed in. I love Pearl Cleage. These are characters I grew attached to. I hated to see the book come to an end.
Sandra Menefee
Set in Atlanta's West End. The author knows the area. I found this book interesting and it held my attention. The ending was very unexpected.
That's what made it good reading.
Sj
Read this for the first time 8 years ago, and reading again for my bookclub selection. Still resonates with me in many, many ways...my favorite by one of my favorite authors!
Jill
This is the first time I've read this author and enjoy this book. I would most likely, read something else of hers. She has a relax style, fresh and mature style. Well done.
Brittany
This book was too ambitious. There were too many themes and stories and as a result the resolution was lackluster.
Deanna
Nov 25, 2007 Deanna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
Great book. Thanks for recommending it B. I am kind of sad its over.
Rebecca ''BUTTER'' Garrett
PEARL CLEAGE IS JUST AN EXTRAORDINARY AUTHOR...I LOVE HER STYLE :)
Maria Noel
Nov 28, 2007 Maria Noel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Pearl Cleage does it again!
De
I loved this book.
Christina
Tracy Darity
Some Things I Never Thought I’d Do by Pearl Cleage is somewhat of an urban fantasy romance. The story opens in Washington D.C. with Regina Burns having just returned home from rehab and is on the verge of losing the family home. With the guidance of her Aunt Abbie, she returns to Atlanta where all her problems began, the intention being to raise the required cash to appease the banker who half-heartedly wants to help her save the house that the aunt has mysteriously taken up residence in during ...more
Teaguem2005
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. I was invested by the first chapter's end. I really had a visual of Blue and appreciated the man who appreciated, protected, and respected the women who both unwittingly as well as willingly sought his protection. Blue was a man's man and sought to guide and teach even though he only intended to deliver his lesson one time.

I loved the fact that Aunt Abbie was old school whilst still open to accept her newly acquired gift. Thought it hilarious that she kept
Delaney Diamond
This story is about Regina Burns and how she turned her life around after getting hooked on drugs and almost losing her mother’s house. Cleage didn’t dwell much on the drug abuse, but it was the reason that Regina found herself in the predicament she did. There are other themes as well, such as the role of men in society–whether their role is as protector or predator—and how they treat women and children.

Cleage also touches on how black men are perceived in society at large, and whether or not
Angie
started: so far, i really like this narrator. i think i must have heard her before. and the story is realistic, with just enough of a touch of the magical to make it more interesting.
(30 seconds later) AH-HA! i knew it! i listened to Cleage's What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day about a decade ago, and it stuck with me as a great narrator and a great story.

end: great story, but not quite realistic. i don't think there is a guy as cool and collected and wonderful and thrice-divorced like Blue
Tammey
Sweet Story

Loved the characters, the story, the underlying spiritual aspect. A world in which men and women worked together and took ownership of their environment. Lovely.

Melinda Ehly
Awful I just couldn't finish the book. I got 60%of the way and just put it down and walked away
Tai
The story was okay, but I got bored when the narrator/main character started talking about their past lives...
Tru Royalty
I loved this book!!! I enjoyed falling in love with Blue as Gina did, it felt so amazing to feel like there is still a MAN in the world and he protects women and puts "boys" in there place. Its nice to see black women be humble and although Gina and Beth may have not been friends they were helping to bring each other up even when they were doing wrong. I loved it would definitely recommend and as pool side summer read.
Feel-good book with a happy ending. Socially aware, but there could have been more conflict/mystery. It's wrapped up really neatly at the end.
Tiffany Johnson
I loved this book. There were a lot of grammatical error though, so poor editing. However, if you can get past that the story line was wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. Blue and Regina have me hooked from the beginning.
Tina
I liked the book, but I didn't particularly care for the ending. I felt like there wasn't enough development of the main character, I wasn't as invested in her as I wanted to be I suppose. It is a pretty quick read with a decent story, so I would recommend it if you are looking for something light, I think I liked What looks like crazy on an ordinary day better.
Kayla
Although I didn't care for the all the parts of the plot (I thought they were too cheesy) I think it had an awesome message and if that's what had to be written to get it out then I can be satisfied with that. I also liked most the characters. Those two good things combined I think I can say that's more than I can get out of most books, so I'm pretty happy with it.
  • Some Love, Some Pain, Sometime: Stories
  • What Doesn't Kill You
  • What You Owe Me
  • Sisters & Husbands
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Loving Donovan
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • Getting to the Good Part
  • Tumbling
  • Daughter
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl Cl
More about Pearl Cleage...

West End (5 books)
  • Babylon Sisters
  • Baby Brother's Blues
  • Till You Hear from Me
  • Just Wanna Testify
What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (Idlewild, #1) I Wish I Had a Red Dress (Idlewild #2) Babylon Sisters Baby Brother's Blues Seen It All and Done the Rest

“Buying flowers is not just a way to bring home beauty. It's an expression of confidence that better days are coming. It's a defiant finger in the face of those naysayers who would have you believe your fortunes will never improve.” 2 likes