Start by marking “The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Orthodox Corruptio...

Bart D. Ehrman

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  157 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

Victors not only write history: they also reproduce the texts. Bart Ehrman explores the close relationship between the social history of early Christianity and the textual tradition of the emerging New Testament, examining how early struggles between Christian "heresy" and "orthodoxy" affected the transmission of the documents over which many of the debates were waged. He

Published June 17th 1993 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture

Candace
Ehrman's thesis in this book is that many of the textual variants that are found in the manuscripts of the New Testament are the result of intentional changes to the text on the part of the scribes who copied the texts. He contends that the scribes made these changes to the text as a result of, and in response to, the various Christological disputes of the second and third centuries and he analyzes several variant readings with this contention in mind.

While I agree with Ehrman that the scribes
Thomas Simmons
Seriously flawed. Was expecting a work of scholarship and got a lot of hot air. The 'evidence' is largely spurious, seriously limited in scope and the author draws conclusions from a lack of actual substance. C.E. Hill (Who Chose the Gospels) and others have basically had to put this work into the category of pop fiction.
Fred Kohn
Jan 10, 2014 Fred Kohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put on notice by the author that this book contained technical discussions, I was prepared for a difficult read. In fact, the book was largely free of technical jargon. I suppose my knowing a bit of Greek helped, but I can't imagine even not knowing Greek being an impediment for a reasonably dedicated reader. Being put on guard by another reviewer that this book was "seriously flawed," I read it more closely than perhaps I might have otherwise. Armed with my 21st edition of Novum Testamentum Gra ...more
Cera
Oct 27, 2010 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grazed
A very interesting look at the way in which battles over 'correct' Christology shaped the text of the New Testament. This is written primarily for scholars working in the same field of textual criticism, so it has the benefits & drawbacks of being extremely meticulous, down to detailed discussions of New Testament Greek grammar. Ehrman is, luckily, aware of this, and structures each chapter with a more general opening and introduction, so that readers like myself can skim more lightly over s ...more
Eric
Sep 20, 2007 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people humoring other people
Shelves: christian
A friend sent me a complementary copy of this as evidence for the intentional manipulation of early Christian manuscripts for the purpose of stamping out the numerous heresies that plagued the nascent church. There's a run on sentence, phew, sorry. Breath, in out.

The evidence is compelling, but it's not particularly disconcerting. Regardless of what happened to 3rd/4th century copies of the Bible, our modern translations revert to older sources that are not tainted by these manipulations. While
Patty Floyd
Jan 04, 2016 Patty Floyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was very insightful, and I learned a lot about politics and religious thought in the first century. The section about visions was very intriguing. I was a bit worn out by the end, but it may have been because it was repetitious since I am a member of his blog, and he had just finished discussing the same issues in a thread that spanned several days.
Sharman Wilson
Ehrman lets you know up front that most of this book is written for Bible scholars. He encourages the rest of us to read the introduction, read the beginnings and summary of each chapter, skimming as desired thru the meat of the chapters. I tried to read it cover to cover, but after the first chapter I decided to take the author's advice and thus got a lot more out of it.

His thesis is that as orthodox scribes copied out new manuscripts of the Bible, they felt obliged to add, subtract, or tweak w
Frank Bella
Mar 15, 2015 Frank Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not easy reading, as it is actually written for New Testament scholars, but the research by Bart Ehrman is very diligent. He is a historian who is an expert in ancient languages such as Greek and Aramaic. The average reader should try "Misquoting Jesus", also by Ehrman.
Alicia
Sep 10, 2008 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
There were some parts of this book that I thought were great and other parts that were long and the arguments seemed like kind of a stretch. The parts of this book that I really like talk about the different things that different groups of early Christians believed. Something we don't hear about very much in church are that early followers had some very different ideas about things that what has become mainstream today. The parts of the book that I didn't enjoy as much were the parts where he ar ...more
Dave Maddock
Dec 12, 2008 Dave Maddock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The methodical, detailed nature of this book is both its greatest advantage and weakness. At its heart, the book builds up a strong case for orthodox scribal alteration of the New Testament through the sheer weight of examples it presents. Fundamentally, it is easy to see how this approach is critical to the persuasiveness of the argument if one reads his popular rewrite of this material in Misquoting Jesus.

However, the minutiae of Greek grammar and its misuse is only as interesting as the part
Jose L.
Jan 31, 2016 Jose L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy, muy interesante
Cliff
Jan 26, 2008 Cliff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into the NT tradition
Recommended to Cliff by: John Hall
A good read on New Testament Textualism. Ehrman has taken the place of his mentor Bruce Metzger as the authority on the subject. However, Bart certainly has a theological bias that permeates the work and colors some of his conclusions...caveat lector.
Tony
Jul 13, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading 'Misquoting Jesus' I picked up this and one other book by Bart Ehrman; 'Forged'
For a review of why I like his books read the review under 'Misquoting Jesus'.
Jon Sedlak
Jul 06, 2013 Jon Sedlak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book Revisiting the Corruption of the New Testament by Wallace. It clearly refutes a lot of claims and exaggerations found within this book by Ehrman.
Brett
An interesting book as a scholastic (non-lds) study of the beginning of the apostasy. Some sections are difficult to get through
Jared Nuzzolillo
MUCH better than Misquoting Jesus. There are far fewer grandiose claims and far more scholarly research than Misquoting Jesus.
Diogenes d'Mayberry
A more scholarly read, not necessarily for general knowledge.
Lee
Jan 10, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!
Mike Beavers
Mike Beavers marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Manuel
Manuel marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jack Ely
Jack Ely rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Richard Kolivoski
Richard Kolivoski marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Craig J.
Craig J. marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Anna Marasco
Anna Marasco marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Zayda Tenney
Zayda Tenney rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
David Smiley
David Smiley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Clifton Mayo
Clifton Mayo rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
  • The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption & Restoration
  • The Incredible Shrinking Son of Man: How Reliable Is the Gospel Tradition?
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Volume One, The Roots of the Problem and the Person (The Anchor Bible Reference Library)
  • The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus
  • Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years
  • The Rise of Christianity: How the Obscure, Marginal Jesus Movement Became the Dominant Religious Force in the Western World in a Few Centuries
  • From Jesus to Christianity: How Four Generations of Visionaries and Storytellers Created the New Testament and Christian Faith
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • A History of the Christian Church
  • James the Brother of Jesus
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • Whose Bible Is It? A History of the Scriptures Through the Ages
Bart D. Ehrman is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.

A graduate of Wheaton College (Illinois), Professor Ehrman received both his Masters of Div
More about Bart D. Ehrman...