Start by marking “Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies

Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The easy way to build an online craft business from scratch

"Starting an Etsy Business For Dummies" offers expert advice for artists and entrepreneurs looking to build an online craft business from scratch. You'll get invaluable information on setting up your online shop, writing compelling item descriptions, photographing your work, engaging the Etsy community, understandi

Published September 6th 2011 by For Dummies (first published August 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies

Judy
Dec 15, 2012 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone starting an Etsy shop
This book offered me a lot of help in building my Etsy help in regards to paying taxes, taking photos that will catch the interest of the public, etc. However, the truth is although a new book it is already out-of-date as Etsy has added many more features for sellers.
Kitten Kisser
Why would I want this book when I have been selling on Etsy for over 3 years? Because Etsy has been making changes. At the time I requested this book, the latest change negatively affected my sales to the point where I was wondering why I was bothering to list my items at all. The problem was Etsy changed it's search format. Potential buyers were not finding my items. I followed all the Etsy newsletters & workshops changing tags, titles you name it. It made no difference. Along comes this bo ...more
Chris Davis
Even though the Etsy Website contains detailed instructions on how to use the site, Etsy is not a guide to e-commerce. The "Dummies" books are very straightforward and easy to read. Consider this a starting point for starting your own Online business using Etsy.
False Millennium
I guess I'm not a dummy about ETSY, because I knew all of this. My copy was three years old, and in technology years, that's obsolete: meaning...none of the icons or locators were where they were three years ago, so you had to go looking. This book would be more helpful for someone selling handcrafted items, maybe. I read through the teams, conversations and forums and none of them seemed very helpful. The one thing I did learn is that you can apply Google Analytics to your site to track viewers ...more
Arlene
This is a helpful book but is not terribly insightful. Some of the information, for most users of the web, is a bit obvious (i.e. if you want to sign up for an Etsy account - there is one for shoppers and one for shop owners).

The book could be better by being updated to a current version (so much of Etsy's site has new or expanded features since the book was written).

Also, it would be helpful if the authors had gone into Paypal in some detail since Etsy relies on it and since Paypal requires i
Brandi
Quite a bit of useful information in this one, but the little section headings made me want to tear out my eyeballs. Chapter 4: Account Trackula: Navigating your Etsy Account and Shop Settings in particular. I get using humor, but these are just stupid. Final Accountdown: Checking Out Options under Your Account... there are many, many more.

All that said, there was good info here. A lot of it is available on the Etsy site and some of it has changed, but still, if you can tolerate the writing sty
Lauren
A good starting place. I skimmed a lot of the more basic stuff like how to set up a shop, but I still ended up with 9 pages of notes. A quick read and it does have some useful tips.
Laura Cushing
A fairly helpful book - I am starting my own Etsy business, so I really needed to learn the basics. This book is easy to follow and generally helpful. They really went overboard with the section titles- I know they're meant to be funny, but sometimes they just made me shake my head and go "...really?".

I read it on my kindle and bookmarked sections that I will want to refer to again as I continue selling on Etsy, so I think it will not only be a good read to start my business up, but also useful
Amber Koppenhofer
Feb 01, 2012 Amber Koppenhofer marked it as to-read
Shelves: etsy-business
I've read a couple of chapters of this book, but don't really have the time or motivation to continue w/it at this time. I think it's going to be very helpful, but I need to buy it because apparently it's popular and the library never lets me renew. I will start it back up when I can purchase it.
Arista
Jan 07, 2014 Arista rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have never ever used Etsy before at all
Shelves: reference, own
I wasn't overly impressed with this book. It was a small book filled with information that anyone could have found out by using the Etsy site for about 10 minutes. I'm hoping the larger edition has more helpful tips. The Mini Edition was definitely a waste of money, though.
Mary
Nice overview of how Etsy works--including detailed step-by-steps for various things--and good tips on organizing your business. The info about promotion and price setting was particularily interesting.
Lorna
A lot of practical information. Will prove very useful as I open an Etsy shop.
Lauren Prock
Lots of great information about how to start your etsy business.
Jana Radovic
Jana Radovic marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Concetta
Concetta marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Dawn Costello
Dawn Costello marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Nicole Nasvytis
Nicole Nasvytis marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Lynette Bullock
Lynette Bullock marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Natasha Smith
Natasha Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Nina Alomakuhrt
Nina Alomakuhrt marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Alexandros
Alexandros marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015