Start by marking “Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)” as Want to Read:
Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)

Bad Love (Alex Delaware #8)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,564 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love. Don't give me the bad love... ". For Alex Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follow: disquieting laughter echoing o ...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Bad Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Love

aPriL does feral sometimes
This book was totally awesome! I'd have given it five stars except for one plot device that ultimately was all wrong - the tape of screaming that Delaware is sent at the beginning of the book. As the plot knits together chapter by chapter - did I mention how awesome this story is? - I realized by the very exciting, adrenalin drenched, action ending that this beginning is the single wrong note for how this murderer would have begun his contact with the good doctor. However, I think most readers w ...more
Gwen
Mar 03, 2015 Gwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My feelings are mixed about this one. I liked the introduction and characterization of the French bull dog, Spike. Kellerman is either a true dog person, or his research was thorough. Spike’s actions at the end were implausible, probably physically impossible, but the reader doesn’t mind. It would be nice if a dog of that size and build could have done what he did, so suspension of disbelief is set aside in favor of willing the dog success.

I liked the descriptions of the tape. They lend tension
Kathleen Hagen
In this one, Alex Delaware receives a tape in the mail with a horrific scream on it, and then a child’s robotic voice repeating: “bad love, bad love, don’t give me that bad love.” Alex is horrified by the tape which comes in a plain envelope with no identifying names, addresses or even fingerprints, but he then remembers that back in 1979 he was involved in a conference which he co-chaired, unwillingly, including in its title, the words “bad love”. It involved the theories of a particular psycho ...more
Chris
Jul 26, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J
May 27, 2012 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I NEITHER HIDE, NOR FEED, MY REVIEWS. THEY MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

This is my second Kellerman novel. I' m really liking his work!

I love the device of seeing criminal investigation through the eyes of a child psychologist, Alex Delaware. All the criminal forensics are there, but the crimes at times are secondary to Delaware's puzzling through the relationships and motivations from which the crimes arise.

It's nice that Delaware is well-adjusted -- handsome and educated, but with a reasonable ego as
Ann Jenelle Rotol
I never really am a fan of mystery/thriller novels. But this book, Bad Love is an exception. Because if you add - even a bit - of psychology in it, then, I will love it! LOL. And I must say, that the psychological aspect here is surprisingly great. Though, don't get me wrong. Even those people who don't have a background in psychology will not be at lost. Some of the terms are layman's. And psychology isn't really the focus here, so... XD

Anyhow, this is a great read for the mind. Like all myste
Kristen
If you love the earlier classic Alex Delaware novels, this one is another good mystery from Jonathan Kellerman. It started with a child's voice on a tape, mentioning about "bad love." That sends Alex on a journey all over California, searching for answers, while he works on another deposition for another case, when it gets heated up. We watch when Alex discovers the connection between the symposium and the murders that happened over the years. And then he realized his life is endangered as the l ...more
Rod Brown
I received this book in a "Blind Date with a Book" promotion at the library at the college where I work.

I had immediate reservations when I found myself with a book from the middle of a long-running series by an author I have never read. Bad Love is the eighth of nearly thirty Alex Delaware mysteries. Fortunately, the cast of recurring characters was small: Delaware, his girlfriend and his friend on the police force. They were skillfully introduced and came off as quite likeable.

The best charact
Roxann
Apr 07, 2016 Roxann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, dogs, crime
From the cover: The latest suspense tale featuring psychologist/detective Alex Delaware is Jonathan Kellerman's biggest success yet. A terrifying audio tape received in the mail is Delaware's first intimation that he is stepping into a living nightmare. As he investigates the connections among a number of violent deaths, Delaware himself becomes the target of a psychotic individual's terror campaign

I've read a couple other Alex Delaware books. This one was ok. I enjoyed the addition of the dog i
Prentice
Mar 22, 2015 Prentice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick caveat before my review: I didn’t realize this was part of a series until well after I started it so this review is purely for this book alone and not for the entire series.

That having been said, what a fantastic introduction to the series! Every time I picked this book up I found myself having trouble putting it down and I don’t say that lightly. Starting with an unusual and alarming tape containing screams and what seems to be a child robotically chanting something about ‘bad love’, th
Kay
Mar 05, 2012 Kay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This one will keep you on edge. A madman has Alex in his sights, forcing Alex and Robin to move from their home. As Alex and Milo get closer to the killer they discover a series of murders that span years. This killer has been patient in his revenge, but he's excalating and now Alex fears for Robin's safety and his own life. Great read! Loveable Spike enters Alex and Robin's life, and this is the book where their home is burnt to the ground.
Eyna
Sep 03, 2011 Eyna rated it it was amazing
This was the reason I hang around our college library during free time.
Since hardcover books can't be brought home, I remember always hiding
this book in an open-shelves area that's not frequently visited by students,
so no one gets hold of it while I'm still reading ^_^

One of the best psychological suspense books I've read with intricately woven plots.

I feel some bad love for licorice sticks.
Sridhar Babu
Dec 25, 2015 Sridhar Babu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not book review..but a short synopsis for my future reference. So please don't accuse me for unlocking the suspense factor of this novel..!!!

Author..
Jonathan Kellerman..
Location..
Los Angels..
Characters..
Alex Delaware, Milo Sturgis, Robin, Andrew Coburg, Jean Jeffers, Katarina de Bosch, Harvey M Rosenblatt, Grant P.Stoumen, Mitchill A. Lerner, Myra Ivans, Rodney Shipler, Dorsey Hewitt, Gritz and others..
Genre..
Crime..

PLOT..
Dr.Alex Delaware, ((psychoanalyst, and consultant for LAPD o
Yolande
Mar 06, 2015 Yolande rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book - true Kellerman style, with intricate details linking together in the end. I can usually take a stab at the perpetrators, but didn't in this one, and he tied it off nicely at the end with a happy piece that was left hanging. Not to mention the dog - I think my love for Frenchies stemmed from Kellerman, but unfortunately living in the tropics and dogs with respiratory issues don't mix that well.

The only gripe (not even that?) I have with his books is the level of description for
Mukta Mohapatra
Nov 08, 2015 Mukta Mohapatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started off slowly, involved lots of characters, but was a fun read.

Alex gets a audio tape of a man screaming and a child talking about bad love. He is unnerved and can't figure out what it means. After much thought, he remembers working with Dr. De Bosch on a seminar entitled Bad Love.

A therapist is killed by a man screaming Bad Love, so Alex starts there meeting with her boss and the killer's lawyer to see what the motivation was and how it ties to him.

Alex tries to find the other thera
Sharon Michael
A very competently written book in the series. Kellerman can usually be counted on to produce a good, readable mystery and this is no exception. Good plotline with a convoluted backstory that held my interest. Also, as a dog owner, I particularly like this one as the French Bulldog who becomes a member of the Alex Delaware story is introduced in this book.
Kim j
Feb 26, 2012 Kim j rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kellermam
I just love all his books & the growth of the characters. Alex & Milo never get boring & they grow. I wish they would make a movie so the picturenI have in my head of how they look compared to say how the author or whomever sees them. This was so eery because of that tape... suspenseful, never boring.
Quadragon27
*Audiobook* This was an okay book. The basic story centers around an unknown threat to Alex Delaware himself, broadcasted by a series of packages and subtle threats. As the psychologist struggles to unravel the source of this danger, he stumbles into an elaborate plot of revenge and deception, fueled by a hatred of therapists after mistreatment at the hands of one. Okay premise. Overly elaborate as Kellerman's books tend to be and he doesn't really give you enough information to figure out who t ...more
Jenny
May 18, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did anyone else start to read this and think it was going to be Alex looking into the murder of the little girls' mother? Since that's how the book began, I assumed that the brown envelope that Alex received after his first meeting with them was going to related to that case! But perhaps it's setting something up for a future book....especially since it seems there was mental damage to both Tiffani and Chondra.

For the main case in this book, it's about "bad love," a theory that was discussed yea
Ann Sheldon Mezger
Jun 30, 2013 Ann Sheldon Mezger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels are always so engrossing, they keep you reading late into the night. This one had a bit of a twist, with Delaware tracking down a psychopath so he himself doesn't become the next victim.
Anjie
Dec 16, 2010 Anjie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Kellerman has never disappointed me, and this was no exception! What a great story, and how he keep coming up with so plots is beyond me, but he does wonderful work. Another page-turner! Loved it!
Amanda Patterson
Good when he sticks to Alex Delaware being a child psychologist. Even better when he leaves that awful Robin and her annoying guitars and bulldog? (Some sort of dog) out of it.
Cupof Tea
Apr 19, 2015 Cupof Tea rated it really liked it
A mystery with many puzzle pieces that all tied together so nicely at the end (a bit too conveniently for my tastes).

I am glad I am catching up on the Alex Delaware novels I missed, as this book brings us the introduction of the cute French Bulldog Spike, and an event that gets mentioned frequently in later novels in the series (that I was expecting when I realized the good doctor had a stalker-type situation unfolding). Sorry, being vague as I hate spoilers ;P

I find it so interesting reading bo
Ge-Anne
Oct 26, 2011 Ge-Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book...very suspenseful and also a heartwrencher. Characters we've already gotten to know as well as the introduction of Spike. Don't miss this one!
May 31, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. I liked the part where Alex sent Robin off to stay with Rick and Milo until the issues from the previous case got resolved.
Kim
May 12, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first Alex Delerware book I read. been hooked ever since.
chilling novel that's been in my head since I read it.
Denise Richardson martin
i absolutely loved this book and one saying in this book will forever be in your head stuck and replaying lol
J.W. Thompson
Jan 16, 2010 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me awhile to figure the Bad Love angle out----great novel
Nanosynergy
Feb 23, 2009 Nanosynergy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kellerman fans.
Arathi
Aug 23, 2012 Arathi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No second thoughts when it comes to buying a Jonathan Kellerman book!

Kellerman’s fav man, Alex Delaware does a stunning job in this book - with Milo Sturgis.

It came in a plain brown wrapper, no return address--an audiocassette recording of a horrifying, soul-lacerating scream, followed by the sound of a childlike voice chanting: "Bad love. Bad love. Don’t give me the bad love... ." For Alex Delaware the tape is the first intimation that he is about to enter a living nightmare. Others soon follo
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #5)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Sunstroke
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
  • The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)