Start by marking “Volcanoes! (National Geographic Kids)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Volcanoes!

Anne Schreiber

Volcanoes! (National Geographic Readers)

The cool story of volcanoes will intrigue kids and adults alike. Hot melted rock from the middle of our planet forces its way up through cracks in the Earth’s crusts, exploding violently and sometimes unexpectedly in volcanic fury that can terrorize populations for months, even years. Anne Schreiber’s narrative gives readers a little of the science, a little of the history ...more
Published May 20th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Volcanoes!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Volcanoes!

Dolly
Dec 12, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a short, informative book about volcanoes, designed for young school-age children. The narrative is interesting and the text is paired with many colorful photographs. Our youngest brought this book home from her second grade class to practice her reading and comprehension of nonfiction material.

While the scientific material presented isn't all that new to our girls, the narrative was short and interesting. Our girls really liked the riddles and the interesting facts that are included in
Larrullo
Dec 13, 2011 Larrullo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Natl. Geo. reader so far. Good basic information on what volcanoes are, the parts of volcanoes, types of volcanoes, types of eruptions, and locations of volcanoes throughout the world. The vocabulary is good with definitions in separate boxes on the page it appears in the text. The pictures are awesome photographs, and there are little tidbits about some famous volcanoes throughout the book. We spent over an hour reading it without my six year old losing interest or getting frustrate ...more
babyhippoface
General information on volcanoes and details about cone volcanoes, shield volcanoes, and stratovolcanoes are accompanied by excellent photos of eruptions and the landforms that result. Insets with volcano-related jokes and definitions are frequent. The reading level is appropriate for independent readers; this is a good addition to elementary libraries.
Sam Angari
Jun 21, 2014 Sam Angari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonding with the nephew! I learned some interesting things from this little book. Will come back with a short review for sure!

I just wanna say that a very thin book can answer a lot of questions in ur mind. A reminder that quality isn't governed by the number of pages.
Steve Holden
We've been continuing our work with natural disasters, and volcanoes are a big hit! This book has some great information and cool photographs. We're leading into one of our big science days next week where every student will create their own volcano that they'll eventually "erupt." We try our hardest to make the content approachable and books like this help us provide some useful information and build their knowledge of the content.
Margaret Chind

Originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.We have a few omnibus all-in-one National Geographic Readers, and one of those includes Volcanoes! While I haven't personally read this one, I know that AppleBlossom has easily been seen reading it more than once and retelling facts and details that she's discovered.

This review was originally posted on Creative Madness Mama.
Dominique St-pierre
This informational text has super illustrations and wonderful detail about volcanoes. Such a boys' book (but my girls loved it, too!) that captured their attention and had them story telling, exploring and imagining.
Alyssa
Volcanoes are part of the natural Earth. They were formed many years ago and the hot melted rock forced it's way up to Earth's crusts. They are usually dormant, but sometimes they explode and can cause harm to nearby towns.

Jessica Benson
Interesting book that young kids would enjoy hearing, and older kids could get some great information from to understand the process of volcanoes better. I used this nook in a reading center for children to get information during a week when we learned about volcanoes.
Ashley
Apr 07, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An informational text for students to learn about volcanoes with beautiful pictures. Used in a fourth grade class reading corner.
Rebecca Quiroz
How are volcanoes formed? Well this is a great informational book for all who are interest. Both child and adult will love this book. Hot melted rock that pushed through the earth? Wow!
Jessica P.
Interesting book that young kids would enjoy hearing, and older kids could get some great information from to understand the process of volcanoes better. AR: 4.0, 0.5pts
Roland &
Roland & rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Dawn S
Dawn S rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Adrienne Reeder
Adrienne Reeder rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Subhaska
Subhaska rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Tess Kayal
Tess Kayal rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2015
Roslyn
Roslyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
natasha fenelon
natasha fenelon rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
Cami
Cami rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Christina Basso
Christina Basso rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Mrmustard
Mrmustard rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Nathaniel Miller
Nathaniel Miller rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Connie Gustavich
Connie Gustavich rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bats
  • This Is the Dream
  • Sneetches are Sneetches: Learn About Same and Different
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • How Do Apples Grow?: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • Why Should I Recycle?
  • Snakes! (National Geographic Readers)
  • Almost Gone: The World's Rarest Animals
  • One World, One Day
  • I Miss You, Stinky Face
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • More Spaghetti, I Say!
  • Pinduli
  • Sharks (Fly Guy Presents, #1)
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • Aleutian Sparrow
  • Mismatch

National Geographic Readers (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Ants
  • Bats
  • Caterpillar to Butterfly (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cats vs. Dogs (National Geographic Readers)
  • Cheetahs
  • Deadliest Animals (National Geographic Readers)
  • Deadly Predators (National Geographic Readers)
  • Dinosaurs