Dispatches from Bitter America: A Gun Toting, Chicken Eating Son of a Baptist's Culture War Stories

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  16 reviews
FOX News Radio reporter Todd Starnes is a self-professed “gun toting, chicken eating son of a Baptist” whose Dispatches from Bitter America is “a collection of stories from my travels across this country (and) conversations I’ve had with regular folks who have deep concerns about the direction we are going as a nation.”

In his award-winning, satire-meets-serious writing sty...more
Published February 1st 2012 by B&H Books (first published January 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dispatches from Bitter America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatches from Bitter America

Birgit
Clinging to your guns and religion? Apparently this makes you a bitter American. In his book Dispatches From Bitter America journalist Todd Starnes contemplates what his country is made of. The five things he names certainly feed the stereotype many have of America - country music, guns, barbecue, the military, and freedom. One thing seems to be missing, but only on first glance - religion.
Expecting an honest view on America and its people I soon realized that these "dispatches" are basically a...more
Tom Dye
With a little tongue in cheek, a little bite your tongue, a little imagination, a little agitation, a little make believe, and a little “you can’t make this stuff up,” author Todd Starnes leaves no sacred cows off the table (metaphorically speaking of course).

This book will take you from sentimental to nonsensical, from Christmas to Kwanzaa, from barbeque to Barack Obama, from the food police to the thought police, from DC to the flyover-states, from the schoolhouse to the House of God, with a f...more
Ruby
I decided to read this book because I always try to be open-minded, and I did find many humorous entries. And, there are stories that, if true, show much needed change in our country. For instance, when the government and schools decide that they know better than we do when it comes to raising our children…by banning outside lunches being brought into schools, telling parents what types of lunch they can send in with their children, banning bake sales as fundraisers, and even sinking as low as m...more
Ralph
When candidate Obama was first seeking to sway voters to his side, he accused Americans of being bitter and clinging to guns and God. Had he included fried chicken in that condemnation of traditional American voters, he might have been talking about journalist and commentator Todd Starnes, author of this collection of essays about America's culture war. He writes with great perspicacity and vigor on the usual targets of the Left -- Christmas, Boys Scouts, Billy Graham, guns, pro-lifers, the "fly...more
Katie Thompson
This book is filled with a refreshing collection of stories about the havoc liberals are wreaking on American culture – especially Christianity, conservatism, and the family. Some chapters are delightfully satirical – one even features the Chick-fil-A cow as a guest star. Some are interviews with key conservative figures like Mike Huckabee and Sean Hannity. Others are sobering and even painful to read. But read them we must, or else get lost in the mire of culture wars.

Starnes proves he’s not so...more
Rick
The absolute best book I have ever read.....outside of the Bible!

Fox don't ever loose Todd Starnes! He has a gift for writing/story telling that so many others just hope to be like. Without a doubt God has blessed him with a talent and he uses it well. Todd keep it up and thanks for restoring journalism to a respectable level. I will have sweet tea and fried chicken in your honor today. May God continue to bless and use you.
Shelley Goltara
An excellent commentary of the current state of affairs in the United States delivered with humor and satire. From the obvious war on Christianity to animal rights Todd Starns covers all the topics with his usual "tongue in cheek" style.
Kristine
This is a sometimes funny, sometimes hilarious mix of personal stories, interviews, and embellished satire that works perfectly for today's political and religious climate. I highly recommend beginning your read in a Cracker Barrel with a nice glass of sweet tea, as I did. The book is a quick, compelling read grouped by topic. Those who pay attention to a lot of news may be familiar with many of the stories, but it's nice to have a refresher all in one place. Definitely recommended for those who...more
Richard Hayes
Liberals, progressives and non-believers take warning. Do not buy this book as it will cause your head to explode. To everyone else, this is from a self-identified gun toting, chicken eating son of a baptist. Mr Starnes writes about thing he has seen in his travels around the U.S., things he has read and things he has saw and talks about them in the manner of someone like he has described himself. I think people will either love it or hate it.
Grace
The book was interesting truth mixed with humor. My husband is a Fox News addict and I had heard everything in it on the truth side so that made it hard for me to stay focused.
Lori
Loved this book. Unfortunately, he is right on about what's happening in this country. I like his added humor and recommend this book.
Lyn
An amazing and very funny book by Todd Starnes. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
Kendra Armstrong
Todd's message is so true. This book is hard-hitting, yet absolutely hysterical!
Brenda Nora
Love love love this book! It is like sitting down to chat with a dear friend!
Matt
A mix of sarcasm, humor & cold hard facts. An easy enjoyable read.
John Arnold
Absolutely Awesome!
Amy Johnson
Amy Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Usa Tomorrow
Usa Tomorrow marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kristen Vanslette
Kristen Vanslette marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Nancy Anderson
Nancy Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Heather Barnhart
Heather Barnhart marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
God Less America: Real Stories From the Front Lines of the Attack on Traditional Values They Popped My Hood And Found Gravy on the Dipstick David's Homecoming: A Play The Great Adventures of Super Dude: Plays

“When God is ready to close the show, no one can keep it open. When He wants to keep it open, no one can close it.” 0 likes