Start by marking “How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  645 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Being a gentleman isn t just being a nice guy, or aconsiderate guy, or the type of guy someone might take home to meet their mother.A gentleman realizes that he has the unique opportunity to distinguish himself fromthe rest of the crowd. He knows when an email is appropriate, and when nothingless than a handwritten note will do. He knows how to dress on the golf course, in ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated

Joe
Its difficult for me to rate this book. I don't like part of its style, in that it simply describes 'what the gentleman ought to do' with alot less of the why than I would like. Manners are not esoteric rules that people memorize, they are the result of consistent courtesy and reflection about the best way to do things. They should be intelligible.

There is however another dimension to learning especially with behavior and relationships, and that is by observing or by doing (i.e. gentlemanly beh
Chris Pariseau
I just want to say that I am a fan of this etiquette-type literature (so I am a bit biased), not so much because I take it as literal rules to live by (I think people should live exactly as they wish at parties and elsewhere-- this is what makes life such an adventure.), but because I find the arbitrariness and randomness of some of the rules in these books completely hilarious. When Bridges follows something that sounds somewhat serious and practical ("A gentleman always lets his suit jacket sp ...more
Janarchy
I seriously read this while I was bored in a Mississippi living room. It's a great reminder of why upper class white Southern people are the most boring people imaginable... if only I needed reminders?
Miguel Carrasquillo
An excellent reference to give as a gift to those friends or relatives who wants to be a better man. I'm please to had a father to teach me most of the manners and customs included in the book.
Jacob O'connor
I took my father-in-law to see Kingsmen. That turned out to be less than wise, but the premise got me thinking. The idea of being a gentleman is passe, but the movie, if nothing else, makes it attractive. So I grabbed this book.

John Bridges has written a book on etiquette, and I recommend it. We're more confident when we know what to do in social situations, and courtesy and manners are always a good thing. As I look back, society has trained me to be brash, egotistical, and boorish. A dinner p
16gborra
Pros:
How to be a Gentleman by John Bridges is overall a interesting and enjoying book. One positive aspect of the book is the fact that it is not written as a normal book; instead, it is written as a guide with steps, pictures and short paragraphs. This makes the book a lot more enjoyable because the book does not take a lecture approach, but instead a more friendly approach.Another pro of this book is that whenever it uses sophisticated or advanced language it explains the meaning of the word.
hissi
1. A gentleman says "please" and "thank you," readily and often.
2. A gentleman does not disparage the beliefs of others-whether they relate to matters of faith, politics, or sports teams.
3. A gentleman always carries a handkerchief, and is ready to lend it, especially to a weeping lady, should the need arise.
4. A gentleman never allows a door to slam in the face of another personmale or female, young or old, absolute stranger or longtime best friend.
5. A gentleman does not make jokes about race,
Ceecee
Sep 26, 2013 Ceecee marked it as must-read-slash-wishlist  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed through this on Booksale and had to keep myself from laughing out loud and encouraging people's judgmental stares.

I could think of a few men who need to learn from this book. Sure, some advice are common sense, but common sense really isn't that common. I had an itch to buy this and give this to a guy I know, but I'm sure he isn't worth the effort money.

Some snippets:
1. A gentleman says "please" and "thank you," readily and often.
2. A gentleman does not disparage the beliefs of others-
Lance
I remember when my brother saw this book on my shelf. "Oh, no" he exclaimed, "Tell me you didn't buy this book!" Of course, I did, because my perusal in the store lent itself to that end.

And I was pleasantly surprised when I sat down to read the whole thing. Bridges doesn't just give rules about what to do and what not to do, although a first glance might lead to that conclusion. Being a gentleman is not about rules. It is, as Bridges observes, "about making life easier and making others comfort
Drew Van gorder
This book presents a clear, non-sense approach to the behavior expected of a gentlemen in our modern age. Certain things such as friends getting divorced, how to write an email, and even being a house guest are looked at from the angle of the gentleman. The proper and polite responses are given and the modern man finally learns how to have etiquette among even those who may not.
JDK1962
When I was in college, I used to subscribe to Esquire, and back in those days (late 70s, early 80s), it contained short bits on how men were expected to behave. I rather liked them, and I definitely got something out of them. Most of the rest of what I know about how to behave, I picked up from reading many, many novels.

That being said, I don't feel like I got a lot out of this book, reading it at 50. As the author acknowledges, most of behavior is determined based on consideration for others, s
Bookworm Amir
Most things didn't really apply to me because of my young age (and also sometimes due to religion) For example a lesson in wine - in no will I be drinking wine at this age and faith.

I wouldn't say the courtesies outlined in this book were all-encompassing (it was a short read). I think this is more of an addition to Other How To Be a GentleMan books. Most of the articles also will probably not apply to young men - more like those in their prime (25-45 years old).

But again, I got this book from
Huma Rashid
I'm not a gentleman, but I *am* curious. I read this book on a whim, just to see what it had to say. It's a solid text filled with pithy little notes, and longer explanations as necessary, and even some helpful diagrams about things like how to tie a bowtie. A quick, easy read (even though I didn't agree with everything in it - serious political differences, for example, are a great reason to decline an invitation to the White House) full of rules of conduct that I wish more men would abide by. ...more
Josh Hamacher
This short volume is intended to be a primer on gentlemanly behavior. It's organized as a collection of short pithy comments and guidelines with very little depth.

Much of the advice boils down to common sense and should be a review for most people. But I definitely had my share of "ah-ha!" moments, when I realized I had just never adequately thought through a situation before and was not behaving appropriately. I suspect all but the most refined of readers would have similar moments of discovery
Adam
I guess this book has some kind of reputation and was the first of a series or something? I listened to the audio version. Great little contemporary manners book. Goes through everything from throwing parties to gift giving to smoking etiquette, etc. Plus it was narrated by Kirby Heyborne!
Gordon Alley
I highly recommend this book. It is a great reminder to every man on how to act appropriately as a gentleman. I thoroughly enjoyed the updated section that teaches common-sense etiquette that is appropriate for 2014 such as cell phone use and social courtesies they are not practically applied today.
Lupeng Jin
Two years ago, I thought how I would react when I met the Queen. Now, I read the book and pretty believe I would finish this mission properly. It is an easily-reading book for each man, who was/is/will be a gentleman in his life.
Bruce
Very interesting book! I didn't realize that I'm not that much of a gentleman till I read it! LOL!
Most of it was common sense but I felt like it was valuable because so few people actually have common sense any more.
JD
A dry, basic guide to manners. Good enough for what it is and smartly organized, Bridges dishes solid advice on how to be a modern day gentleman. Even though I think a lot of what this book has to say is common knowledge, I guess if it truly was common then we wouldn't need this book in the first place. I enjoyed the example dialog that illustrates the point Bridges is making in each section, as it comes off as a little cheesy and humorous. This book is clearly meant for people with an upper cla ...more
Carlo
Jul 26, 2014 Carlo rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carlo by: hertzogood@gmail.com
Over a 3.5 avg rating? Mom, Dad I owe you Big Time! I don't want to come off as a know it all or perfect gentleman but I found this to be a collection of very basic and common sense etiquette. I gained very little (if anything) from this book.
I gave it two stars because I see it maybe useful for boys or men who weren't as fortunate to learn the basics growing up, or lack common sense, or those that don't know how to be respectful, treat their mothers poorly etc. It is, if nothing, thorough. Do
Kurt
Good book. Great advice for young men. I listened to this as an audiobook but given its is short "tidbits" of information I would recommend reading versus listening to this book.
William Peyregne
A contemporary guide to common courtesy. I just wanted to make sure I was on track. Great short read and humorous at times. Good work John Bridges.
João Paulo Abreu
I appreciated this book, contains many tips and advises for the behavior of a gentleman. I wish become a real gentleman. Thanks.
Spencer Wischerth
A great how to! Although a lot of it seemed like common sense, I definitely learned some things. A must read for anyone looking to live a more respectful and classy life.
Zhang Stanley
Basic guidelines. Simply to read, easy to understand.
I like the tone of the language used, very formal.
I learned useful tidbits such as "anytime a person can identify the brand of scent that a man is wearing, he is wearing too much."
Also "if the food set before him is intended to be eaten piping-hot (or icy cold), and if a gentleman is the first person to be served at his table, he waits for one other person to be served, and then he begins to eat."
It has a light, practical tone with snippets of advice instead of long lists of rules. The book intends to help the gentleman behave in a way that
Ryan
Some pretty good advice here, lots of common, or not so common, sense with some other good ideas.
Carson Hatch
Perhaps it's my conservative Christian upbringing, but I basically knew everything in this book already (not to say that I readily practice all of it). I loved the idea, but the execution was a bit odd. At parts it read like a list that you would see on Buzzfeed, other times like a book. Very good advice that a good number of "bros" these days should try and follow. The art of the gentleman is a dying one and this can definitely help any man become more like a proper gentleman.
Greg Pentecost
Easy, quick, useful tips! Good for brushing up occasionally.
  • Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
  • Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You
  • AskMen.com Presents The Style Bible: The 11 Rules for Building a Complete and Timeless Wardrobe
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy and Vice
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • The 100 Absolutely Unbreakable Laws of Business Succes
  • Do It!: Let's Get Off Our Buts
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • The New Well Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed
  • Man Up!: 367 Classic Skills for the Modern Guy
  • As a Lady Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations
  • How Wars Are Won: The 13 Rules of War from Ancient Greece to the War on Terror
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man
  • Be All You Can Be
John Bridges is the author of the bestselling book, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, today's most popular guide to etiquette for the modern man. When it comes to handling any issue related to courtesy, common or uncommon -- whether it's how to use a shrimp fork, how to conduct yourself in a business meeting, or knowing when to turn off your cell phone -- John is "Mr. Right."

"Over the course of my life, I've
More about John Bridges...
As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up: What to Wear, When to Wear It, How to Wear It A Gentleman Entertains: A Guide to Making Memorable Occasions Happen A Gentleman at the Table: A Concise, Contemporary Guide to Table Manners