Start by marking “How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Being a gentleman isn t just being a nice guy, or aconsiderate guy, or the type of guy someone might take home to meet their mother.A gentleman realizes that he has the unique opportunity to distinguish himself fromthe rest of the crowd. He knows when an email is appropriate, and when nothingless than a handwritten note will do. He knows how to dress on the golf course, in ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Gentleman Revised & Updated

Joe
Its difficult for me to rate this book. I don't like part of its style, in that it simply describes 'what the gentleman ought to do' with alot less of the why than I would like. Manners are not esoteric rules that people memorize, they are the result of consistent courtesy and reflection about the best way to do things. They should be intelligible.

There is however another dimension to learning especially with behavior and relationships, and that is by observing or by doing (i.e. gentlemanly beh
Chris Pariseau
I just want to say that I am a fan of this etiquette-type literature (so I am a bit biased), not so much because I take it as literal rules to live by (I think people should live exactly as they wish at parties and elsewhere-- this is what makes life such an adventure.), but because I find the arbitrariness and randomness of some of the rules in these books completely hilarious. When Bridges follows something that sounds somewhat serious and practical ("A gentleman always lets his suit jacket sp ...more
Janarchy
I seriously read this while I was bored in a Mississippi living room. It's a great reminder of why upper class white Southern people are the most boring people imaginable... if only I needed reminders?
Miguel Carrasquillo
An excellent reference to give as a gift to those friends or relatives who wants to be a better man. I'm please to had a father to teach me most of the manners and customs included in the book.
16gborra
Pros:
How to be a Gentleman by John Bridges is overall a interesting and enjoying book. One positive aspect of the book is the fact that it is not written as a normal book; instead, it is written as a guide with steps, pictures and short paragraphs. This makes the book a lot more enjoyable because the book does not take a lecture approach, but instead a more friendly approach.Another pro of this book is that whenever it uses sophisticated or advanced language it explains the meaning of the word.
Deviant Geek
1. A gentleman says "please" and "thank you," readily and often.
2. A gentleman does not disparage the beliefs of others-whether they relate to matters of faith, politics, or sports teams.
3. A gentleman always carries a handkerchief, and is ready to lend it, especially to a weeping lady, should the need arise.
4. A gentleman never allows a door to slam in the face of another personmale or female, young or old, absolute stranger or longtime best friend.
5. A gentleman does not make jokes about race,
Ceecee
Sep 26, 2013 Ceecee marked it as must-read-slash-wishlist  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed through this on Booksale and had to keep myself from laughing out loud and encouraging people's judgmental stares.

I could think of a few men who need to learn from this book. Sure, some advice are common sense, but common sense really isn't that common. I had an itch to buy this and give this to a guy I know, but I'm sure he isn't worth the effort money.

Some snippets:
1. A gentleman says "please" and "thank you," readily and often.
2. A gentleman does not disparage the beliefs of others-
Lance
I remember when my brother saw this book on my shelf. "Oh, no" he exclaimed, "Tell me you didn't buy this book!" Of course, I did, because my perusal in the store lent itself to that end.

And I was pleasantly surprised when I sat down to read the whole thing. Bridges doesn't just give rules about what to do and what not to do, although a first glance might lead to that conclusion. Being a gentleman is not about rules. It is, as Bridges observes, "about making life easier and making others comfort
Drew Van gorder
This book presents a clear, non-sense approach to the behavior expected of a gentlemen in our modern age. Certain things such as friends getting divorced, how to write an email, and even being a house guest are looked at from the angle of the gentleman. The proper and polite responses are given and the modern man finally learns how to have etiquette among even those who may not.
JDK1962
When I was in college, I used to subscribe to Esquire, and back in those days (late 70s, early 80s), it contained short bits on how men were expected to behave. I rather liked them, and I definitely got something out of them. Most of the rest of what I know about how to behave, I picked up from reading many, many novels.

That being said, I don't feel like I got a lot out of this book, reading it at 50. As the author acknowledges, most of behavior is determined based on consideration for others, s
Bookworm Amir
Most things didn't really apply to me because of my young age (and also sometimes due to religion) For example a lesson in wine - in no will I be drinking wine at this age and faith.

I wouldn't say the courtesies outlined in this book were all-encompassing (it was a short read). I think this is more of an addition to Other How To Be a GentleMan books. Most of the articles also will probably not apply to young men - more like those in their prime (25-45 years old).

But again, I got this book from
Huma Rashid
I'm not a gentleman, but I *am* curious. I read this book on a whim, just to see what it had to say. It's a solid text filled with pithy little notes, and longer explanations as necessary, and even some helpful diagrams about things like how to tie a bowtie. A quick, easy read (even though I didn't agree with everything in it - serious political differences, for example, are a great reason to decline an invitation to the White House) full of rules of conduct that I wish more men would abide by. ...more
Josh Hamacher
This short volume is intended to be a primer on gentlemanly behavior. It's organized as a collection of short pithy comments and guidelines with very little depth.

Much of the advice boils down to common sense and should be a review for most people. But I definitely had my share of "ah-ha!" moments, when I realized I had just never adequately thought through a situation before and was not behaving appropriately. I suspect all but the most refined of readers would have similar moments of discovery
Gordon Alley
I highly recommend this book. It is a great reminder to every man on how to act appropriately as a gentleman. I thoroughly enjoyed the updated section that teaches common-sense etiquette that is appropriate for 2014 such as cell phone use and social courtesies they are not practically applied today.
Lupeng Jin
Two years ago, I thought how I would react when I met the Queen. Now, I read the book and pretty believe I would finish this mission properly. It is an easily-reading book for each man, who was/is/will be a gentleman in his life.
Bruce Spangler
Very interesting book! I didn't realize that I'm not that much of a gentleman till I read it! LOL!
Most of it was common sense but I felt like it was valuable because so few people actually have common sense any more.
JD
A dry, basic guide to manners. Good enough for what it is and smartly organized, Bridges dishes solid advice on how to be a modern day gentleman. Even though I think a lot of what this book has to say is common knowledge, I guess if it truly was common then we wouldn't need this book in the first place. I enjoyed the example dialog that illustrates the point Bridges is making in each section, as it comes off as a little cheesy and humorous. This book is clearly meant for people with an upper cla ...more
Carlo
Jul 26, 2014 Carlo rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carlo by: hertzogood@gmail.com
Over a 3.5 avg rating? Mom, Dad I owe you Big Time! I don't want to come off as a know it all or perfect gentleman but I found this to be a collection of very basic and common sense etiquette. I gained very little (if anything) from this book.
I gave it two stars because I see it maybe useful for boys or men who weren't as fortunate to learn the basics growing up, or lack common sense, or those that don't know how to be respectful, treat their mothers poorly etc. It is, if nothing, thorough. Do
William Peyregne
A contemporary guide to common courtesy. I just wanted to make sure I was on track. Great short read and humorous at times. Good work John Bridges.
I learned useful tidbits such as "anytime a person can identify the brand of scent that a man is wearing, he is wearing too much."
Also "if the food set before him is intended to be eaten piping-hot (or icy cold), and if a gentleman is the first person to be served at his table, he waits for one other person to be served, and then he begins to eat."
It has a light, practical tone with snippets of advice instead of long lists of rules. The book intends to help the gentleman behave in a way that
Nick
Half advice on how not to be a dick which should be self evident, half tips about manners which are oudated and pointless. That sounds cynical but its actually pleasing to read. It tells "what a gentleman" would do under various stressors and situations. You get to ask yourself "what do/would I do in this scenario, and therefore am I a gentleman?" Im guessing its meant to be picked up randomly and flipped though for a while, not really "read" in the normal sense. A bathroom book, or a side table ...more
Steph
I'm convinced one of my bosses lives by every rule in this book.

I think it's better to read the etiquette book for the other gender -- most of it is the same nowadays and it's easier to say "oh, that's a good rule for gentlemen; I should follow it too" than it is to hear there's a recommendation for ladies that you're not following. And of course there are exceptions for everything. I didn't find this an offensive read at all (in contrast to many of the reviewers of How to Be a Lady.)
Michael
A useful reference when you are in a pinch. Fits well in your suit or tuxedo jacket pocket, and small enough to be inconspicuous when you pull it out in the middle of the wedding before saying "I Do", just to make sure you are standing with the proper posture.

No, this really is a good reference, I simply don't agree with everything that high society rigidness puts out there as proper. It's probably my fault for growing up in California Casual.
Adam
All in all, a mixed bag. There's some fantastic advice in this book, such as "When a gentleman wants his guests to leave, he simply puts the liquor away," some common-sense advice that will only come as news to complete boors, such as "A gentleman never uses a toast to ridicule or embarrass a friend," but also some really weird stuff that I will never do, such as "A gentleman always tucks his undershirt into his underwear." TMI, John Bridges.
Joel Ungar
Don't laugh. This is a very enjoyable book full of common sense manners that too often are forgotten. I especially like how it has been updated to reflect our current times - cell phones and email are amongst the topics addressed.

Only criticism: I have a couple of other books in the series, and there is common material between them.

And I disagree on the need to put down the toilet seat. I know to look!
Ian
Some useful stuff, but a bit preppy for my liking. Not so sure about the sections on formal attire, cumberbunds and sports jackets for those of us who don't live on the US East Coast!

Most of the rest is common sense, unless you have been living under a rock.

All of that being said, there are a lot of people out there who could clearly use a little help with their basic manners. This book will help.
Greg  Allbright
While some of the tips were outdated, most of it was useful. While many of them are common-sense, for those of us that had picked up some bad habits in college (LIKE ME), it was sense that needed to be put back into our heads. Very useful if you do a lot of entertaining, are active in the community, or want to have a little edge in business situations. A lil bit of class goes a long way.
Morgan
This book was a quick and fun read. It made me wish for a different time, one in which manners still mattered and a gentleman was not some mythical creature from storybooks. The digital etiquette pieces (email, texting, mobiles) were particularly relevant in this day and age. This would be a great gift for both ladies and gentlemen. It would make a fun coffee table or bathroom book.
Monica Williams
Despite not being a gentleman, I read this book. (It was left on my Kindle.) Some useful tips for men who don't know or weren't trained on how to be a gentleman or for those of us who were unsure on the proper way to eat an artichoke. I wish it would have addressed flatulence, however. Even my most "gentlemanly" friends have problems with this issue. :)
Kevin
This was definitely a good book and worth reading. It gives a lot of good tips about how to show good etiquette and upbringing in a variety of social situations. At times the guy would make ridiculous suggestions, but for the most part I think that every guy should read this book, especially if he is looking to go into the business world.
  • Dressing the Man: Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • The Book of War: Sun-tzu The Art of Warfare & Karl von Clausewitz On War
  • AskMen.com Presents The Style Bible: The 11 Rules for Building a Complete and Timeless Wardrobe
  • Afghanistan: A Short History of Its People and Politics
  • The Modern Gentleman: A Guide to Essential Manners, Savvy and Vice
  • Consequential Strangers: The Power of People Who Don't Seem to Matter. . . But Really Do
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • Gentleman: A Timeless Guide to Fashion
  • Kill or Capture: How a Special Operations Task Force Took Down a Notorious al Qaeda Terrorist
  • The Rise And Decline Of The State
  • How to Be a Lady: A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy
  • The Most Dangerous Place: Pakistan's Lawless Frontier
  • The Fine Art of Small Talk: How to Start a Conversation, Keep It Going, Build Networking Skills--and Leave a Positive Impression!
  • Guerrillas: Journeys in the Insurgent World
  • It's Not My Fault: The No-Excuses Plan for Overcoming the Effects of People, Circumstances or DNA and Enjoying God's Best
  • War Made New: Technology, Warfare, and the Course of History: 1500 to Today
  • Be All You Can Be
John Bridges is the author of the bestselling book, HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN, today's most popular guide to etiquette for the modern man. When it comes to handling any issue related to courtesy, common or uncommon -- whether it's how to use a shrimp fork, how to conduct yourself in a business meeting, or knowing when to turn off your cell phone -- John is "Mr. Right."

"Over the course of my life, I've
More about John Bridges...
As a Gentleman Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations 50 Things Every Young Gentleman Should Know A Gentleman Gets Dressed Up: What to Wear, When to Wear It, How to Wear It A Gentleman Entertains: A Guide to Making Memorable Occasions Happen A Gentleman at the Table: A Concise, Contemporary Guide to Table Manners