Start by marking “Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #6)

Cécile's Gift (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile #6)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Cécile and her friend Marie-Grace volunteer at an Orphanage every week, and Cécile becomes especially close to one little girl named Perrine. But there are so many children who have lost their families to yellow fever, and Cécile wishes she could do more to help them. When she hears that a huge benefit will be held to raise money for all the orphans in New Orleans, she is ...more
Published August 30th 2011 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about Cécile's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cécile's Gift

Ciara
boy, am i ever relieved that this is the last book in this series. i am not wild about these characters.

this one is all about how some folks in new orleans decided to organize a benefit for the local orphanages, which are housing more children than ever since the yellow fever epidemic. everyone is excited & wants to contribute. mme oceane has been invited to sing a song & cecile suggests that marie-grace sing a duet with mme oceane, as marie-grace has such a pretty voice. armand wants to
Katie
Recap:
Cecile Rey is one of the "gens de couleur libres" or "free people of color" living in New Orleans in 1853. Together, she and her friend, Marie Grace, experience all that the diverse, busy city has to offer: Mardi Gras parades and costume balls, outdoor French markets, helping to fight a yellow fever epidemic, volunteering at a local orphanage, and performing at a city-wide benefit for the orphaned children.

Review:
Happy Mardi Gras, book lovers! In honor of the holiday, today I'm featuring a
Lindsay Collett
Childhood memory: None ... Okay, so this isn't technically one of the American Girl books I read as a kid. But, my memories of those I did enjoy keep me interested in checking in on the historical American Girl books as AG publishes them.

Revisited review: Overall, this particular series is just okay. This review will be for all six books in the series. Not sure if I like the deviation from the typical AG historical format (____ saves the day, happy birthday ____, etc.), but that seems to be the
Holly Letson
With this volume, we say Goodbye to Marie-Grace, who is traveling to another city, and to Cecile, both whom seem like friends now, more tha just AG characters.
--------------
La Celebration is upon us, and Cecile has decided to recite a poem. She choose a suiting poem from a vintage collection, but it doesn't seem to be understood my Perrine, so she decides to write one of her own. Poems are best written from the heart, and everyone loves her poem at La Celebration.
----
Now, that name is another
Samantha
There'a big benefit to help families who have survived the ravages of the yellow fever outbreak and Cecile wants to contribute. Her dear friend Marie-Grace is singing a duet with her aunt (the girls' vocal teacher) and Cecile decides she'd like to a recitation. When her piece falls flat in her practice performance for the orphans she is challenged to use her gift for storytelling so that her message will be clearly understood by the children of New Orleans. At the very end Cecile and Marie-Grace ...more
Elaine
A lovely ending to an enjoyable series.
Christina
Nice ending to a sweet set of stories. I liked both characters' overarching development through the series more than I liked any of the individual books. They just weren't as exciting as Kaya's; there was no real peril for Marie-Grace and Cécile themselves. I did really love the setting (New Orleans, 1853) and the messages and the historical material.

Isobel liked these ones at least as much as the Kaya books, but she says she wants the Kaya doll for Christmas. I think it's because Kaya has a ho
Claire
This was heartwarming.
Amanda Wheet
Cecile's Gift was by far the best of this set of junior novels about the two best friends. At some point after Marie-Grace and the Orphans, the writers took a sharp turn towards exploring the yellow fever epidemic, which tightens the story into more of what an American Girl book usually is. I found Cecile's Gift to be a well-written excursion into New Orleans after the yellow fever epidemic, with a lot of heart.
Ashley
This was the last book in the Marie-Grace/Cecile series. Abby and I really liked the series--the books had great messages about hardship, charity, helping others, music, and friendship. It was also interesting to learn about New Orleans. My only complaint is about the illustrations which were sometimes okay, but mostly odd-looking. Not nearly as beautiful as the Kit or Josefina illustrations.
Kristine Pratt
I think I'm going to remember this series as "those stories about the epidemic" whether I want to or not! The aftermath shows that the difficulty isn't over yet. Cecile finds the way she can help the orphans of the city. A good story and a satisfying conclusion to everything.
Sonya, aka Glam-O-Mommy
Sophie and I finished the six-book Marie-Grace and Cecile series, which I really enjoyed. I learned a lot, as did Sophie, about life in New Orleans in the late 1800s.
Madalyn H
Cecile's gift is singing. She is a really good singer and she sang for a benifit for the orphanages (both the home for white children and the home for African American children) and they made lots of money.
This was my favorite book of this set. Cecile learns about herself and her talents and then uses them to bless others. It was quite touching.
Anne
Emily
Emily added it
Jan 25, 2015
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Kelley (Shyflea)
Kelley (Shyflea) marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Sarah Fairbank
Sarah Fairbank marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Lacey
Lacey added it
Jan 16, 2015
R4
R4 marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • A Surprise for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #3)
  • Candlelight for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #3)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Happy Birthday, Josefina!: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Josefina, #4)
  • Changes for Julie (American Girls: Julie, #6)

American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile (6 books)
  • Meet Marie-Grace (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #1)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Marie-Grace and the Orphans (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #3)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2) Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4) A Matter of Souls The Car Washing Street A New Beginning: My Journey with Addy