Start by marking “Everything I Learned in Medical School: Besides All the Book Stuff” as Want to Read:
Everything I Learned in Medical School: Besides All the Book Stuff

Everything I Learned in Medical School: Besides All the Book Stuff

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  286 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Sleep deprivation, dissecting human bodies, giving bad news, delivering a baby, seeing death...the journey of becoming an "MD" is not an easy one. Join the author as he takes you through his four years at Duke University Medical School. Relive the exhilarating, the strange, the uplifting, and the frightening experiences that taught him everything he learned in medical scho ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Everything I Learned in Medical School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everything I Learned in Medical School

BDH.
Apr 27, 2012 BDH. rated it really liked it
this book, to a med student, can easily take 5/5, cause it shows you a very important thing; IT HAPPENS TO OTHERS TOO!!
I'm half the globe away from USA, and still I encountered more than 70% of the situation Dr.K described.

The take back of it though, that it's extremely short. Written in a very simple and to-the-point way, in about 170 pages with BIG font, you can finish it in few hours.

Another point to mention, Dr.K explained medical terms to those who are not familiar with it in a very simple
Yasser Asiri
Jan 20, 2013 Yasser Asiri rated it it was amazing
I'm following Dr.Sujay on twitter, he advertised for his book many times and since I just graduated from med college i decided to give it a try. the title to me is so attractive!
the book actually is wonderful and enjoyable. it's amazing how people are so similar! every experience or situation he was in during the years of med college are almost applicable in every medical student's life anywhere! the writer is talented in telling stories without making it so boring or too long and of course he
Shatha Al-Jamhoor
Mar 31, 2015 Shatha Al-Jamhoor rated it it was amazing
As if the author was speaking for me .. So many common stuff that I've never thought would come along with most medical students ( as if thinking it was just me/ I'm overreacting ) !

I loved the experiences shared, the easy three words, the types of pimp people and how students react to them ..

Thank you Dr.Sujay Kansagra for being a wonderful motivation !
Jessica Ibarra
Nov 30, 2015 Jessica Ibarra rated it really liked it
Since I just started med school this book gave me a very good perspective on how my future is going to be like. It makes the students understand that everyone is going through the same challenges you are facing. It gives great advice on how to survive med school and how to say, “I don’t know” is fine too.

What it's absolutely fantastic about this book is that you don't have to be a medically trained person to enjoy it. It's easy to understand without too much medical terminology. While it talks
Roman
May 11, 2013 Roman rated it it was amazing
The book provided an amusing guide into the lessons a medical student learns as he/she makes their way through medical school. It focuses completely on life lessons, so it doesn't provide much information and insight into the academic portion of medical school.

Instead, you'll read about how little sleep medical school students get, the initial awkwardness of performing your first body exam, the hierarchy of a hospital, the problems doctors face with getting to know their patients, and many othe
JDK1962
Dec 20, 2014 JDK1962 rated it it was ok
An incredibly fast read that ultimately seems like a poorly edited collection of blog posts. First off: why present this out of chronological order? Absolutely no purpose was served, especially since no alternate organization was suggested. Second: there were a couple of word (mis)usages that made me think that this was either self-published, or reviewed by a very poor copy editor who couldn't afford any software capable of doing a spell check. For example..."unphased" is not a word, or at least ...more
Inês Gueifão
Jun 14, 2015 Inês Gueifão rated it really liked it
I was expecting the book to be a bit different but it was still enlightening about how my future will be (and some of my present is). A quick, fun read that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Rachel
Feb 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
A fun read because my hubby is in medical school and I could relate to the author and got a better idea of what my husband's daily experiences look like. I'm not a big fan if the author's writing style but it made for a super easy read and made me laugh out loud a few times. If I ever have the opportunity to teach pre-meds I would definitely incorporate this as part of the curriculum. The author brings up a lot of the emotional, social, and ethical issues students and doctors have to deal with e ...more
Jun 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
This book was just OK.
I think it is written prematurely for a medical student (or further on in your training) as the content was nothing new from stories students have already heard. The vocabulary was very basic and some of the chapter became quite a snore to read.
However, I would recommend this book to one in high school with the hopes of pursuing Medicine.
Fye
Jun 15, 2016 Fye rated it did not like it
The actual writing is terrible-- this is basically the narrative of a socially maladapted medical student who habitually humble brags (about things no one else would brag about, like how he couldn't replicate an experiment, yet was sure that "something significant" was happening and he was "sure someone would prove it someday").

BOOOOOOO
Carol Ann Salminen
A fascinating insight

A down to earth book, with a look into the lives of people who are entrusted with OURS -- our physicians. The road to becoming a doctor is not an easy one. Dr. Kandahar tells the story of his medical education in an easy to read, enjoyable book.
Fatema
Oct 16, 2014 Fatema rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book immensely even though I read it after med school. It was well-written, extremely true to the last letter and an enjoyable read.
Annmarie
Feb 11, 2014 Annmarie rated it really liked it
Fun to read - like a trip down memory lane. Describes medical school experience at Duke from perspective of a young, idealistic student!
Steve G
Aug 30, 2012 Steve G rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I was "pre-med" at one point and wanted to see what I may have missed. I was constantly intrigued throughout this book. Some of the experiences are humorous, such as when the author talks about "steeping," the author's term for falling asleep while standing up. Other chapters are quite poignant. Most of the stories are very relatable. For example, he talks about how the most successful people are as obsessive compulsive as those that are considered pathologic. Very tru ...more
Paula
Jan 03, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
A good read. An honest and refreshing look at medical school from a first-hand and very humble perspective.
Haengbok92
Sep 17, 2012 Haengbok92 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting window into the life of a medical student. This, as the title indicates, is more of a general "life lessons" set of reflections rather than a blow by blow of every aspect of being a medical student, but even so there are a lot of interesting facts about the body and the practice of medicine sprinkled throughout. I really enjoyed his explanation of the breakdown of the hospital hierarchy and how it was displayed through the lab coat and personal interactions, as well as "pimpin ...more
Norah
Mar 13, 2014 Norah rated it really liked it
Simple, fun to read, and absolutely relatable.
Giovanni
Nov 26, 2015 Giovanni rated it liked it
Enjoyable, with some good advice.
Jalendhari Tabeeb
Jul 15, 2015 Jalendhari Tabeeb rated it really liked it
Concise.Cute.Cathartic. :D
Ghufranalarfaj
Aug 01, 2014 Ghufranalarfaj rated it it was amazing
This book is simply amazing ..
It shows you how other medical students suffer ..
And that we're all in this together
There are really some very valuable lessons in this book .. Keeping those advices in mind will make medschool way easier for you..
Star number 5 for the chapter "those three little words " ..
Gsin
Jul 15, 2014 Gsin is currently reading it
Tosin
Jun 26, 2015 Tosin rated it really liked it
Nice read, I will definitely be going through this one again some time in the nearest future.
Beth Ann
Apr 28, 2016 Beth Ann rated it it was ok
Maybe this would be a good YA book but the brief chapters, limited vocabulary, and trite life lesson declarations did not strike a chord with me. Since I am not a doctor, I had expected to learn a thing or two from this book but the medical information was so basic that I was already familiar with it.
Evan Parker
Jul 31, 2014 Evan Parker rated it it was ok
Came across as a not so humble-brag. He also had some really weird opinions concerning women's health and LGBTQ issues.
Hillary
Jan 14, 2015 Hillary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this six months ago so I'm not up on the details. But this was not a good representative of the genre, definitely not recommended for anyone who isn't SERIOUSLY into reading the "medical memoirs" and not very picky about reading material.
Enid
Feb 26, 2013 Enid rated it liked it
Pretty sure this was free on Kindle, so it was fine for that price. He had some good stories and overall it was a very positive book, but it is rather short and there isn't much there in some places.
Jules
Dec 21, 2015 Jules rated it liked it
"The destination will never be worth it if you didn't enjoy the road"
Mariam.394
Aug 01, 2014 Mariam.394 rated it really liked it
Great book for medical students.. I liked reading about the author's round and weird cases.

I really like this book and I recommend it for others to try it..
Diane
Feb 20, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
WOW. This book brought back memories. I was in school decades ago, and some somethings never change. In so many ways it was fun to read this book.
Ruthanne Davis
Feb 28, 2013 Ruthanne Davis rated it really liked it
Delightfully frank and informative account of Dr. Kansagra's journey through medical school. Made me appreciate my doctor even more.
  • Letters to a Young Doctor
  • Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • Routine Miracles: Restoring Faith and Hope in Medicine
  • First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: A Student-To-Student Guide
  • On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
  • Becoming a Doctor: From Student to Specialist, Doctor-Writers Share Their Experiences
  • Incidental Findings: Lessons from My Patients in the Art of Medicine
  • What I Learned in Medical School: Personal Stories of Young Doctors
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • The Health Care Handbook: A Clear and Concise Guide to the American Health Care System
  • قصة العلوم الطبية في الحضارة الإسلامية
  • The Soul of a Doctor: Harvard Medical Students Face Life and Death
  • Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis [With DVD]
  • ثقافة العمل الخيري
  • On Becoming a Doctor: Everything You Need to Know about Medical School, Residency, Specialization, and Practice
  • Intern: A Doctor's Initiation
  • Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Microbiology
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing

“It all depends on where we set our “crazy meter”.” 1 likes