Gluten-Free Baking For Dummies

Gluten-Free Baking For Dummies

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  3 reviews
More than 150 tasty recipes for gluten-free bakingImagine baking without flour. Impossible, right? Essentially, that's what you're doing when you bake gluten-free. Sure, there are replacement flours, but there's an art to combining those ingredients to re-create the tastes you know and love. Baking is truly the greatest challenge when cooking gluten-free, and more than 150...more
Published December 16th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons (first published November 11th 2011)

Bell
Great book for beginners who know little to nothing about celiac disease or gluten intolerance. And some pretty delicious-sounding recipes for the advanced gluten-free baker.

I’ve had this sneaking suspicion I’m gluten intolerant (before I read this book, I thought maybe I had celiac). Now, I might even be non-celiac gluten sensitive. (wink, wink to the author). I feel so educated now. Blood tests are in order I guess. For now, I’m ok with this book.

Looking back, I may have inadvertently experim...more
Corinne
I love that this book goes into the science of how gluten-free flours work and what we can do to ensure a blend that behaves the way we want. The only real reason that it's a 4 star instead of a 5 star is that it can be a little repetitive at times, and a lot of the info lacks citations which is something the scientist in me can't quite abide.
Bev
I have mixed feelings on this cookbook. I was really excited over some of the tables in the front, for converting between flour types for recipes. (Take that, sorghum based recipes!) It also explained ratios for different types of baked goods and how to use them to check recipes or design your how.

So far I have tried the angel food cake recipe. Other GF angel food cakes I've made have been a little bit dense, but overall had the texture and flavor of 'real' angel food cake. I was so excited as...more
Debbie West
Debbie West marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Carol Van horn
Carol Van horn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Cristalia
Cristalia marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Lisa Midwood
Lisa Midwood marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2013
Sumera
Sumera is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2012
Mamajoy333
Mamajoy333 marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2012
Nikki
Nikki added it
Jun 10, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 16, 2012
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2012
Monica
Monica added it
Jan 25, 2012
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2012