Start by marking “Joseph and Emma: A Love Story (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Joseph and Emma: A Love Story (Volume 1)

Joseph and Emma: A Love Story (Volume 1)

Published July 28th 2001 by Wellspring (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Joseph and Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joseph and Emma

Oct 12, 2007 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I truly enjoyed this book. I've always wanted to gain some perspective into what Emma was like and would have been thinking. I think this book's suggestion of those things was respectful and beautiful. It gave me a greater appreciation for her character, her contributions, and her sacrifices in dealing with the experiences she had.
Apr 01, 2009 Racquel rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I was really touched by Joseph and Emma and their love for eachother. I know the story well but when you actually read it you feel like you kinda go through it with them and I felt a new appreciation for all they went through. Wow, what hardships they endured and with such great faith. Emma is truly inspiring to me.
Feb 06, 2009 Becca rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Anderson
Jul 28, 2016 Kathleen Anderson rated it really liked it
I feel this book is well written and pretty accurate. Of course dialog is made up, but I like historical fiction. Being in Nauvoo this summer made for a good time to read this. It really helped me feel more of what Joseph and Emma sacrificed to follow God's revelations.
May 13, 2008 Julianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: LDS women
Recommended to Julianna by: Mom
I read this after completing the Children of the Promise series. It wasn't as good as the other series, but it was still enjoyable to read. I like to judge a book by how long it takes me to read it. If I get thru it quickly, I must have liked it. If it takes me a while, then there was something missing, and if I never finish it... well... it must not have been too good. This series took me a while to finish, but I did read book 2... I just don't know what it was missing.

It was very educational
Anne Burt
Jun 03, 2016 Anne Burt rated it it was amazing
I felt like I was seeing a two dimensional history in three D! It just brings the story home and it becomes your own personal view of two Christ like people!
Jessica Powell
May 09, 2013 Jessica Powell rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars but I rounded up. It was really slow at the beginning...and really mushy. That's the main reason it took me so long to get through it but once Joseph recieved the plates and I started to recognize the history being presented, it was much better. It actually helped me to understand the history a little bit more and I was able to see parallels between the time of Joseph and Emma and our own time. I recommend this book wholeheartedly but just remember, you'll have to get through ...more
Aug 18, 2009 Kelli rated it really liked it
I went into this one a little cautious because there is always a bit of literary license taken when you fictionalize a true story and I didn't want to get a skewed perception of these people. For the most part, though, I thought it was well done. There were some aspects to some of the revelations given back then that I probably wouldn't have considered had I not been able to put them into a day-to-day perspective. Overall, good book. I'm excited to get my hands on volume 2.

August - I just finis
Sep 10, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Nice, easy reads. I liked these books. It was fun seeing Joseph and Emma's story as a love story.
Jun 11, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julia by: Marsha Powell
Shelves: inspirational
This book has given me a lot of new insights so far into the lives of Joseph and Emma. It has helped me appreciate them and come to know them so much more. I finally finished this book and can't believe how much I learned from it. My gratitude and testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and Emma has been strengthened and I am in awe of all that they went through. Not an easy read for me as it was often times very tragic but it was also very inspirational and wonderful to see the love between Josep ...more
Jul 14, 2013 Krystal rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! Such great insight into what our prophet, his wife, his family & the early Latter Day Saints endured to bring forth the restored gospel. It broke my heart to hear the things they endured. Joseph's love for Emma was so genuine, deep and pure; it was always such a pleasure to read about the tenderness he showed to Emma. I found myself sympathizing, crying & laughing throughout the book. Would definitely recommend.
Jun 08, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing
This series is absolutely fabulous. It's more like reading church history with a love story facade. I learned SO much about church history where before I just could not get into the historical fiction genre. I couldn't get through the first Work and the Glory, but after reading this series I am going to try again since I hear you learn even more church history in it. The series is 2 volumes and both equally wonderful!
Mar 12, 2009 Trine rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure about this book when I started, but I ended up liking it. It makes you think about how people were able to be a part of the LDS church during its beginnings, especially the prophet and his wife. It makes you admire them and consider those times more. I also heard Marsha Newman speak and I think she did her best with Youngreen to make this as accurate as possible within the knowledge they have.
Sep 01, 2009 Naiyana rated it liked it
Most of my issues that I had with this book have more to do with my issues with historical fiction in general than with this book. I'll step off that soap box for today. I think it may have worked better to just tell the story completely from Emma's perspective. There were parts that were just too over the top cheesy romantic for my taste. I did get some new insights though and learned a few things.
Aug 29, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my mother
I alsway find the back story more interesting than the main one. This book was a page turner from day one. I felt closer to knowing the real Emma and seeing Joseph from her perspective and her from his. It really gave great insight to their relationship and hardships. Wonderful book to read to strengthen your testimony of just hoe strong women are and how much sacrifice was made to restore the church.
Jun 11, 2011 Whitney rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this unique portrayal of early church history, and Joseph and Emma really do have a beautiful love story. It's such a wonderful look at the prophet and his relationship with God. Not often do I read books that strengthen my testimony of the gospel, but this one did! I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Can't wait to get volume 2!
Jul 19, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I felt like this book went to fast. I wanted to dig deeper into the more about just Emma and Joseph. I did enjoy the history, but wanted more from them. Maybe there is just not more known. I did get a better idea about who Emma was and still would like to know more about her.
Jul 25, 2009 Lexie rated it liked it
I actually really liked this, but don't think I can classify it as a four star book. I'd probably give it three and a half. Through most of the book I didn't think I'd read any of the others, but it really drew me in at the end, and so I think I'll continue the series. Worth reading.
Jun 10, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it
I appreaciate this story and the perspective it gives, especially of the early days of Joseph and Emma. It is written mainly from Emma's point of view, but at times from Joseph's. It makes me feel like I have such a comfortable life (which of course I do). I feel very humbled by that.
Mar 18, 2008 Janell rated it it was amazing
For those of you who like Historical Fictions, this is a great one about Emma and Joseph Smith. Rather than delve too deep into church history, the book focuses on their relationship and uses their own words to tell their story. I thought it was wonderful.
Oct 21, 2008 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
This book was a testimony-builder. I fell in love with the Prophet Joseph all over again. I love the way the authors depicted the love story between Emma and Joseph and the way they used "authors license" but also historical fact. It's a must own!
Oct 18, 2007 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
I truly enjoyed this book! I am currently reading the second one and like it just as much! It is full of church history and facts. It is fiction, but I feel like you can truly get a glimce into the life of Joseph and Emma Smith. What a moving story!
Feb 06, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookclub
It was nice to have a novel format to Joseph's struggles bringing about the Mormon church and to the sweet relationship he had with Emma. I think Emma gets a bad rap and it made me appreciate ALL that she went through with Joseph that much more.
Sep 14, 2009 Erica rated it liked it
I love reading the history that's in the book. It's so interesting to take the lives of Joseph and Emma on a personal level and realize everything they went through...however, the lovey-doveyness is a little too mushy for me sometimes.
May 29, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Not generally a fan of embellished history, but this book did it quite well by preserving much of the Prophet Joseph's own words. An easy read that increased my love and appreciation for faithful Joseph and Emma.
Julie Seamons
Aug 24, 2009 Julie Seamons rated it it was amazing
I love the story of Joseph and Emma. They conquered unconquerable challenges, which would make any of us give up and call it quits. Why Emma never ran home is a strong testimony of her love and devotion to Joseph.
Apr 03, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction that brought Joseph and Emma's courtship and marriage into my life in a very real sense. I enjoyed how it strengthened my testimony and especially of Emma and all her quiet sacrifices she made.
Jul 06, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I found it very moving. The relationship between Joseph and Emma was portrayed in such a beautiful way, and their strength through their trials brought me to tears.
Feb 09, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Despite the sappy romance scenes I really liked it! It made Joseph and Emma even more real to me. It made me appreciate on a deeper level the sacrifices they made and the trials they went through.
Jan 23, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
Oh how I am excited to learn about Joesph Smith. I love how this book let you know Joesph and Emma. I didn't realize so many things that had happened in Church history.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Emma and Joseph: Their Divine Mission
  • Mary & Joseph
  • One silent sleepless night
  • Before the Dawn
  • Porter Rockwell: A Biography
  • Being Enough
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Into the Light (sequel to Out of Darkness)
  • Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill