Start by marking “Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures” as Want to Read:
Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures (Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz)

Sir Hereward. Knight, artillerist, swordsman. Mercenary for hire. Ill-starred lover.

Mister Fitz. Puppet, sorcerer, loremaster. Practitioner of arcane arts now mostly and thankfully forgotten. Former nursemaid to Hereward.

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz. Agents of the Council of the Treaty for the Safety of the World, charged with the location and removal of listed extra-dimen
Published (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz

Kat  Hooper
Sep 05, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature:

Jun 06, 2012 heidi rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, reviewed
This is the flavor that I wish Confusion of Princes had been. I love Nix's exploration of flawed heroes much more than his exploration of flawed systems. The best reason to read this book is to watch Nix write to as adults -- not in the sense of fevered flesh, but as a person who understands that there is no perfect answer, and even the heroes have a huge body count.

In these three stories, Sir Hereward, and his companion/tutor/nanny/animated puppet/sidekick Mister Fitz travel the world to search
Jan 17, 2013 Abrahm rated it it was amazing
These may be some of my favorite short fiction works. They're wonderfully wrought short adventure stories with each tale being a fully formed exciting adventure that somehow manages to cram in delightful world building and interesting conflicts without become ponderous. Garth Nix walks that razors edge between mysteries, exposition and swashbuckling adventure that make his world come to vibrant life and catch your breath.
Caleb Wilson
Feb 19, 2012 Caleb Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect blend of humor, action, and deadpan horror. These are the best three stories I've ever read following in the mode of Fritz Leiber, and my only complaint is that there are so few of them. I would dearly love to read a novel about Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz, or, failing that, even one more story...
Randolph Carter
Really 3.5.
Mar 29, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
I love Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz. To be fair, I only read 2/3rds of this novel because the middle story, "Beyond the Sea Gate of the Scholar Pirates of Sarskoe", I had already read. In fact, middle story was my introduction to the world of these two traveling characters.

And it was through researching that review, that I first encountered the idea that there were more than one story about our lovely pair. I ran off eagerly to find the prequel of "Sir Hereward and Mr. Fitz Go To War Again", and
Jun 03, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, indie
A great original setting and premise, by a very skilled writer. (I loved the Sabriel series, and this has much of the same tone, although both setting and premise are very different.)

Garth Nix seems to like to have guns in his settings, rather than going for the old sword-and-sorcery (not that swords are missing here - this is basically late-Renaissance technology, with wheel-lock pistols). Sir Hereward is an artillerist, and several things go satisfactorily boom.

The rather creepy and precise so
Dec 31, 2013 Joyce added it
A pastiche, but one that shows how skilled Nix has become at turning his hand to almost any fantasy concept. When first we meet Sir Hereward and Mr Fitz, they seem like itinerant soldiers-of-fortune straight out of _The Three Musketeers_; but it is not long before we begin to suspect Things of not being What They Seem. For one thing, Mr Fitz is a puppet animated by some kind of magic. For another, it quickly becomes apparent that our hapless twosome knows a lot more about the local deities encou ...more
Ea Solinas
Apr 28, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it
If there's one thing you can expect from Garth Nix, it's fantasy that doesn't follow the usual cliches. After all, who else writes about a god-slaying mercenary and his sorcerous puppet sidekick?

That is the basic description of "Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures," short stories set in a high fantasy world of guns, godlets and magic. This is darker material than most of Nix's other works, but it still has that wicked sense of humor and innovative style -- and it leaves you craving mo
Feb 08, 2014 Metaphorosis rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014-rev

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures
Garth Nix

I first ran across Garth Nix in a public library, in the shape of his Abhorsen series. I thought it was great, and was surprised to find that other people already knew about it. In any case, when I bought a new Nook, I ended up with a 'free' credit to spend, and I looked around for some cheap reads. This book was one of them.

I liked the stories. The characters are engaging, the setup is straightforward, and

Jul 10, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing
I first learned about Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz when reading a short story collection called Rogues, in which they appeared. I was so taken with the characters and by the author's inventiveness that I just had to read more in the form of this book which contains three great short stories. I would classify them as fantasy/adventure tales for mature readers, with them being both gritty and humorous. I never knew what to expect from one page to the next, which I can't say about every book I pick ...more
Jan 02, 2016 Ej rated it it was amazing
Fantastic set of stories. I recommend them to anyone who loves man vs god/magic feel. Or any fantasy fan in general.

All three are good in their own way. The first is the intro to the characters, and gives the back story. The second is the grand adventure. The last is something of a filler episode (if you think in terms of episodic releases), but is still very fun.

The characters are fleshed out and believable, the stories flow smoothly, and the writing is top notch.

For anyone looking for more: "F
Nov 30, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it
Gotta say, this was probably the best buck I've spent in awhile. I just wish there were more Hereward and Fitz stories, they're fun.

I mean, how can you go wrong with a horny knight and a sorcerous puppet out and about killing gods?
Kelsey Dionne
Jan 24, 2016 Kelsey Dionne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Could there be a more entertaining pair than Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz?

I'm such a rabid fan that I'll buy anything at all if it contains one of their stories.

I've made my friends sit down so I could read them Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz stories. Normally they could hate me for it, but instead they thanked me, bought me dinner, added me to their wills, and offered me their immortal souls (I politely declined).

I only deal in immortal souls when there's another Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz st
Jan 08, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: treasured, own, ozlit
I didn't speed read this one, as I have been slowly reading the three adventures over the last few months so I decided to finish it before the year did.

I really enjoyed this darker side of Garth Nix, I love his Abhorsen trilogy and Keys to the Kingdoms series, but these tales and more adult characters were wonderful. I must admit I listened to Nix read a section of an adventure at a Science Fiction Convention and when I discovered it was going to be released in print I jumped on the list for a
Laurian Smith
Aug 25, 2014 Laurian Smith rated it it was amazing
Garth Nix is a genius. I first heard the initial story on PodCastle years ago and it left me, like a love-sick teenager, pining for more. The writing was vivid and brilliant, the story perfectly crafted and characters well developed. I listened to it over and over like fixating on a love letter for a girl I could never again see. If there was a ever a story that "had me at hello" (Oh, yes I did), it was story one. When I finally read the other two, I was just as much the tortured lover as ever. ...more
Alex Murphy
Jul 21, 2015 Alex Murphy rated it really liked it
I love this little short story collection. It is just enough of a taste of a world that I want to see as a full blown series. I think that this would make an excellent Anime series, or even a graphic novel or manga. It just lends itself so well to those formats. Following Sir Hereward and Mr. Fitz this ereader exclusive is a nice little treat. Sir Hereward is a traveling knight and Mr. Fitz is a living puppet they go around from kingdom to kingdom seeking out parasitic godlings that they have sw ...more
Jay Daze
Feb 07, 2012 Jay Daze rated it really liked it
Fabulous adult sword and sorcery from an author who, for me, sadly turned his writing to a younger demographic after his Abhorsen series. I love the fact that Hereward and Fitz are not nice in the pursuit of their mission. A lot of people die because of their actions, but in the end it doesn't matter because they are pretty damn ruthless. That hard edge is what makes this gritty-ish sword and sorcery and not noble high fantasy.

Nix's short stories have been hit or miss for me in the past. At his
Sep 03, 2013 Hollowspine rated it liked it

One doesn't have to know anything about Sir Hereward or Mister Fitz to read these three strange tales, but there is no doubt any reader who picks up this book will immediately seek out more.

Hereward and Fitz are two singular characters, with a background that sounds complicated and dangerous. They interact with the world as if they aren't really part of it, yet seem to be getting into endless scrapes and involvements in it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three tales in the book, without any previou
Fantasy Literature
Sep 04, 2013 Fantasy Literature rated it really liked it
When I think of Garth Nix I think of excellent fantasy literature for children, but Nix writes for adults, too. Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures is a collection of three previously published stories about a knight and artillerist named Sir Hereward and a magically animated puppet called Mr. Fitz. The duo works for the Council for the Saftey of the World and they’ve taken a vow to hunt down and exterminate the supernatural beings who are on a proscribed list of evil godlets. Sir Her ...more
Nov 04, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
Review written: sometime before June 27, 2015

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz: Three Adventures by Garth Nix

Why I read it: I went on a bit of a Garth Nix wander when I was finally able to start buying books for my Kindle last year, and this was relatively cheap, looked interesting, and I hadn’t heard of it before, so I picked it up! I only read it now because of other books coming in between, plus I wanted to build up sufficiently to finally reading To Hold the Bridge.

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: Very
Sep 08, 2013 Tina rated it liked it
This was first time reading anything by Nix. Even though the stores are quick little shorts, rather than a hashed out novel, I found them interesting. The characters are believable. It now makes sense why I have heard good things about his YA novels.
As for myself, I wanted to fall in love, because I love the plot descriptions of other books he has written, but the writing never clicked for me. There were times I felt like I was reading a wordy high fantasy and I caught myself skipping a couple o
Lance Minnis
Jan 13, 2016 Lance Minnis rated it liked it
I really love Garths Sabriel series. This book of tales was enjoyable light reading but not to the same standard. Some surprising detail and the characters are interesting though not well fleshed. Great concept less great execution though I would read more stories of these two.
Dec 06, 2015 Roger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Doesn't read like a Nix book at all. Much more traditional fantasy sword and sorcery setting. Nix seems to be deliberately channeling Fritz Leiber and, perhaps, Jack Vance in this fantastic collection of 3 short stories/novellas. I'd love to see him return to these characters.
Jim Kennedy
Apr 10, 2015 Jim Kennedy rated it liked it
Three short stories, enjoyable little straightforward fantasy titbits.

Nice idea, two characters - a soldier and a puppet, searching for and dispatching dodgy godlets.
Sep 10, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
Such amazing world building and character development crammed into such short, tightly woven stories. And just dark enough to remind you these are for adults.
Feb 29, 2016 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A gentleman adventurer and an animate puppet who happens to be a powerful sorcerer have adventures as they search for and remove from the world evil gods. These are fine adventures with lots of swashbuckling action, terrifyingly eldritch creatures, and a little implicit sex---all related in a pokerfaced tone perfectly suited to the not entirely earnest premise. Think of Mister Fitz as a centuries old dark Pinocchio. The stories are:
Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz go to war again,
Beyond the sea gate
Oct 22, 2014 Dave rated it it was amazing
Wonderful stuff. Heard them first on Podcastle, then picked up the ebook. Highly recommended.
Feb 17, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff. Too bad there wasn't more of it.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

It if had been longer, I think I would have enjoyed it more. It seemed a little dull without the chance to build up to what happened, and basically seemed like it was still a work in progre
  • The Guiding Nose of Ulfant Banderoz
  • The Ape Man's Brother
  • Nell Gwynne's On Land and At Sea
  • Hart and Boot and Other Stories
  • Polynia
  • Degrees of Delusion
  • Catch and Release
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy
  • Accidental Sorcerers (Accidental Sorcerers, #1)
  • Father Gaetano's Puppet Catechism: A Novella
  • For When the Veil Drops
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • Yamada Monogatari: The War God's Son
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Second Paradigm
  • Absolute Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
  • How to Get Away With Murder in America
  • Casanova, Volume 2: Gula
Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

More about Garth Nix...

Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz (4 books)
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • Rogues
  • Fearsome Magics

“In the name of the Council of the Treaty for the Safety of the World, acting under the authority granted by the Three Empires, the Seven Kingdoms, the Palatine Regency, the Jessar Republic and the Forty Lesser Realms, we declare ourselves agents of the Council. We identify the godlet manifested in this city of Shûme as Pralqornrah-Tanish-Kvaxixob, a listed entity under the Treaty. Consequently, the said godlet and all those who assist it are deemed to be enemies of the World and the Council authorizes us to pursue any and all actions necessary to banish, repel or exterminate the said godlet.” Neither felt it necessary to change this ancient text to reflect the fact that only one of the three empires was still extant in any fashion; that the seven kingdoms were now twenty or more small states; the Palatine Regency was a political fiction, its once broad lands under two fathoms of water; the Jessar Republic was now neither Jessar in ethnicity nor a republic; and perhaps only a handful of the Forty Lesser Realms resembled their antecedent polities in any respect. But for all that the states that had made it were vanished or diminished, the Treaty for the Safety of the World was still held to be in operation, if only by the Council that administered and enforced it.” 0 likes