Start by marking “The Guernseyman (Richard Delancey Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Guernseyman

C. Northcote Parkinson

The Guernseyman (Richard Delancey #1)

This book recounts the earliest adventures of Parkinson's hero, Richard Delancey. Ranked as a midshipman, when the events of the American Revolution and the ongoing hostilities between France and England send him across the sea, Delancey finds himself instrumental in defending the Isle of Jersey, and later, the Rock of Gibraltar.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Guernseyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guernseyman

Ron
Sep 28, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rises from the sea of Napoleonic war British naval fiction. The protagonist is at once more human and more likable than the likes of Horatio Hornblower or even Jack Aubrey. The writing focuses more on his inner life as well. Parkinson’s skillful plotting places his hero at the scene of numerous real historical events.

Of particular note to American readers of this volume may be Parkinson’s examination of how the American Revolution looked from the British and Loyalist points of view, and how thei
Chaplain Stanleigh Chapin
Interesting military tale

I had expected more sea going, swashbuckling activities. It proved to be interesting in other areas that were very enjoyable
Tom King
Dec 03, 2016 Tom King rated it it was amazing
Solid Swashbuckler

Parkinson's gift for detail is clearly in evidence in this engaging story. I would call him a fine scratch to readers left with an itch having run out of CS Forester's Hornblower more novels to read.
Studebhawk
Oct 18, 2015 Studebhawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Start to a Series

This book is a good start to this series that I look forward reading with pleasure. We start with the set up. The background on our hero and the setting, the time and place in which this series will occur all provide the foundation on which the author builds narrative with which to carry this series forward.
Notable here is the author’s knowledge of nautical history during the era of sailing ships at war. At times the author is a little overwhelming. With my very basic u
Bob Cantrell
A good start

This is a good start to what I hope will be a new series of naval novels. Now when I started this book it was with a bit of a twist in that the protagonist is a young man, who is not sure of his future by the end of the story he has found his future in the navy. There was a small patch that was a bit slow toward the middle of the book, but that quickly changed for the better. I have to say this was a good start to a new series for me. For others you have to like the works of O'Brian,
William Brown
Mar 10, 2016 William Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written period piece regarding the young man joins the British Navy around the time of the American Revolution and ends up in New York City and several other ports in America. The book has more to do with the relationships between the Americans and the British as they try to understand each other than a book about naval warfare in the 1780s. In particular, the pictures he paints of colonial New York City are quite interesting.
Franklin
May 18, 2015 Franklin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men more than women.
Recommended to Franklin by: Impulse purchase
I have just read the Delancey novels and rank them with those by Kent, Stockwin, Pope, and Lambdin. Usually I like best the one I am currently reading. Parkinson was a historian so the history is probably accurate. He made observations on organizations and management and we see this in the organization of ships company and development and promotion of subordinates. All this and a first class action adventure.
Diana
Aug 05, 2016 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: new
I couldn't help but like young Delauncey. The author does a nice job of portraying his personal and professional growth, but I thought the story a little slow. The seafaring language was certainly specific, but other scenes were less articulate. All in all, a pleasant read that doesn't require much of the reader.
Eunice Korczak
Oct 21, 2015 Eunice Korczak rated it liked it
The Guernseyman

The Guernseyman by C. Northcote Parkinson is fairly interesting look at the British side of the conflict and fighting with the colonies, the French, and the Spanish. The story of the Guernseyman is secondary and not exciting or even very interesting due to its manner of telling.
Travis L. Neill
Mar 01, 2016 Travis L. Neill rated it it was amazing
A Delightful Read

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to the rest of the series. Shades of Alexander Kent and Patrick O'Brian in its authenticity. Unique character study that promises growth in stature. I don't know how I missed this series years ago. But it should promise good reading ahead.
Peter Lento
Oct 01, 2015 Peter Lento rated it it was amazing
Delancy is a good companion to Hornblower

Parkinson created a character in the spirit of Forrester's series and has done it well. Set a few years earlier than Hornblower, Delancy has all the tactical and strategic planning skills but is a much more engaging character. Worth reading from both a historical and a literary standpoint as well as being fun.
Paul McComas 3rd.
Dec 08, 2015 Paul McComas 3rd. rated it it was amazing
A very Good read for A history buff.

It is a good change of pace to read about the British side of the Revolutionary war, because, it helps to give the reader a more broad account, of all the sides, of history. It adds to our basic knowledge of how we got to were we are today
Richard A Roberts
Oct 20, 2015 Richard A Roberts rated it it was amazing
F

A well written tale not oh of a pivotal time in history,but also shows great depth of knowledge of both salesmanship and warfare at the turn of the 18th entry. I would highly recommend this as a must read for a history buf
kenneth  h.  robinson
Sep 15, 2015 kenneth h. robinson rated it it was amazing
Excellent Storytelling

With lots of details and description, the protagonist and the plot are laid out for the reader of a young man from Guernsey in the British navy during the American Revolution.
Keith Doerksen
Sep 29, 2015 Keith Doerksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both interesting and informative. Enjoyed learning new nautical terminology and some olde English as well!
Mason H Williams
Mason H Williams rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016
Jody Lovell
Jody Lovell rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Scott Moore
Scott Moore rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
stephen preweda
stephen preweda rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Phillip Lavender
Phillip Lavender rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015
Sergio Kraljic Jr.
Sergio Kraljic Jr. rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2015
Mike and Sharon Williams
Mike and Sharon Williams rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Bfisher
Bfisher rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Hudson Jeter
Hudson Jeter rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Brent Brautigam
Brent Brautigam rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Colm
Colm rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
Christine Rosey
Christine Rosey rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • His Majesty's Ship (Fighting Sail, #1)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • Ramage (The Lord Ramage Novels, #1)
  • In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho, #5)
  • Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
Cyril Northcote Parkinson was a naval historian and author of some sixty books. He was educated at Cambridge, and went on to teach in Malaya, and in the United States at Harvard and in Illinois.

He was an important scholar in the field of public administration.

His most famous work is Parkinson’s Law, or The Pursuit of Progress.
More about C. Northcote Parkinson...

Richard Delancey (6 books)
  • Devil to Pay (Richard Delancey, #2)
  • The Fireship (Richard Delancey, #3)
  • Touch and Go (Richard Delancey, #4)
  • So Near So Far (Richard Delancey, #5)
  • Dead Reckoning (Richard Delancey, #6)