Start by marking “Shared Walls: Seattle Apartment Buildings, 1900-1939” as Want to Read:
Shared Walls: Seattle Apartment Buildings, 1900-1939

Shared Walls: Seattle Apartment Buildings, 1900-1939

The 1900 edition of Polk's Seattle City Directory listed four apartment buildings. By 1939, that number had grown to almost 1,400. This study explores the circumstances that prompted the explosive growth of this previously unknown form of housing in Seattle and takes an in-depth look at a large number of different apartment buildings, from the small and simple to the large ...more
Published November 7th 2011 by McFarland & Company (first published October 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shared Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shared Walls

Booth Babcock
Feb 05, 2012 Booth Babcock rated it liked it
Fun book...I am very interested in the history of my neighborhood, and James' book is very detailed and well researched. However, had a couple of significant flaws...one, not enough pictures, and the pics she did use were not always useful. But I could live with that...the huge flaw is NO MAPS. The book talks about an entire census of historic buildings, but never actually shows you where they are (anyone who lives in Seattle knows the addresses are not always very useful here).

Still, I would re
Jen
Jun 27, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
I just moved to Seattle and into one of the buildings in this book, so was eager to read about the history of early apartments - and get a bit of Seattle history as well. There was a lot of really interesting material in the book, and some then-and-now photos which were fascinating to see. I loved the descriptions of how these apartments were utilized in the very early 20th century. Reviews of census data were really interesting to get a sense of how many people were sharing these spaces at the ...more
Troy Heerwagen
Jan 10, 2012 Troy Heerwagen rated it liked it
Very interesting insight into the historical apartment buildings that have provided so many Seattlites with homes for so many years. Provides information on numerous different apartment buildings. I read about the ones in my neighborhood and that I recognized, but skipped over some of the others. I specifically enjoyed the beginning that talked about how the rental market was different in the early 1900s.
Wally
May 04, 2013 Wally rated it it was amazing
Excellent history of Seattle apartment buildings, the original need for them (economic and social), their designers and builders, and their tenants. I really enjoyed seeking out places I have visited or wondered about from afar.
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
May 16, 2012
Nadine
Nadine rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Rob Ketcherside
Rob Ketcherside rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
May 08, 2015
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Ben Palmer
Ben Palmer rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Hillary
Hillary rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Mary Baker
Mary Baker rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Prima Seadiva
Prima Seadiva rated it really liked it
May 04, 2015
Tashkant
Tashkant marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2012
eva
eva marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2012
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2012
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2012
Hal O'Brien
Hal O'Brien marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2012
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
May 03, 2012
Moira Russell
Moira Russell marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012
Ljbj
Ljbj marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
StephenRussell
StephenRussell marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2017