Start by marking “Yan Etkiler” as Want to Read:
Yan Etkiler

Yan Etkiler

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,549 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
Ölümsüzlüğe, eserlerimle değil, ölmeyerek kavuşma dileğindeyim.
Woody Allen

Çağımızın ünlü sinema ustası, unutulmaz komedyen, kült filmlerin akıllara kazınmış başrol oyuncusu ve kitapları dünyanın her yerinde büyük ilgi gören yazar Woody Allen, uzun bir aradan sonra özenli bir çeviriyle Türkiye’de okurlarıyla buluşuyor. Seksten siyasete, felsefeden gündelik hayatın absürt de
Published 2013 by Siren Yayınları (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Yan Etkiler, please sign up.

Sparrow
Woody Allen has that way of writing awkward attractions and selfish motivations that is forgiving and neat. He ties up the loose ends, but then at the same time, there is always an absurdity to the tying up. The characters will probably never be content, but somehow I, as their audience, am left content through the catharsis of watching Allen’s characters self-destruct. Despite the dissonance in the character relationships, what was secret is now in the open, the bad guy is murdered or permanent ...more
Caris
Jan 16, 2012 Caris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Woody Allen is fucking brilliant. He is a sensitive subject, though. Which makes no sense to me at all. I remember one day telling my old boss of my fondness for the man’s work and receiving a disgusted look in return, as if I had professed to buying used underpants off of the Internet. She told me she would never watch the man’s movies after what he did.

“What did he do?” I asked, eyes as wide as a newborn doe.

“He married his daughter,” she said before she stalked away.

I was perplexed. Initially
David
Jun 16, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading Camus's The Outsider and the book was a peqrfect antidote for the intensity and gloom. Wait a minute, Allen has kind of an existential point of view but through comedy. I recommend pairing the two writers.
Stephen
May 31, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love Woody Allen, I always felt his short stories work best when he isn't going for the serious-with-punchline-style, as evidenced in The Kugelmass Episode. My Apology and The Query are hilarious; Fabrizio's: Criticism and Response is brilliant. A food critic analyzes a restaurant like it's a film or a piece of literature.

The Lunatic's Tale features one of my favorite punchlines: "My first wife was brilliant, but had no sense of humor. Of the Marx Brothers, she was convinced the amu
Nawal
Jun 21, 2011 Nawal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After watching many of Allen's movies, I was more than pleased to read this humorous collection of ALLEN's short stories . His prose is the same as the dialogue that gushes from the characters mouths in his films!

An interesting journey through the absurd mind of such an eccentric nervous genius that enables you to think and laugh at the same time!

Clare Bear
Jan 10, 2008 Clare Bear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Clare by: Me
Woody Allen has me laughing out loud long after I have finished reading. Apparently I even laugh in my sleep after reading him.
Hunter Freiburg
Sep 21, 2010 Hunter Freiburg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woody Allen is one of my all time favorite movie directors, recently I found out that he had several books of short stories and plays, SIDE EFFECTS is the first I read of his. Just like his films, his writing is over the top and hilarious. Side Effects was original because of the way it was done. It's a compilation of short stories, but no two are the same. All over the place with content and style, but all in a good way. Side Effects is definitely the strongest book I have read by him. Highly r ...more
Tony
Nov 17, 2008 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Allen, Woody. SIDE EFFECTS. (1980). ****. This was the last collection of Allen’s pieces from a variety of periodicals – mostly the New Yorker – which tended to be longer and more thought-out than the earlier stuff. The wit and inanity is still there, but it is more under control. These pieces were planned, less spontaneous. This isn’t to say that they weren’t funny, it’s just that – in general – the humor was more mature. This volume gives us pieces like, “The UFO Menace,” which gathers all of ...more
Lukasz Pruski
Nov 09, 2014 Lukasz Pruski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woody Allen’s “Side Effects” is most likely the funniest book I have read in my life. Almost each of the about two hundred pages contains at least one passage that made me laugh out loud, which makes things a bit tricky, especially when you read on the trolley and your fellow passengers look at you suspiciously and move to far-away seats.

Already the second paragraph on the first page is hilarious: “Needleman was constantly obsessing over his funeral plans and once told me, ‘I much prefer cremat
Kathleen
Oct 23, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Smart? Sure, but just not that funny to me. I was scalded by Allen's apparent hostility and disgust with the whole human race, it just leaks out all over like some caustic material that would require a hazmat team response. Ugh. Rampantly misanthropic.
Vanessa
Aug 08, 2007 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Let's just say that his neurotic wit made me forgive the prejudice I held against the perversity of marrying your own daughter... even if she's adopted.

P.S. I'm currently re-reading this for the 10th time.
Leah
Nov 02, 2007 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's the last of a dying breed. Some people celebrate that fact, but I don't. Cozy up with a vodka tonic, wrap yourself in a warm blanket of self-loathing, and dig into this.
Jane Stewart
Pretty good. Several laugh out loud moments.

My main problem was the narrator Woody Allen who is also the author. He did not pause enough. When I was having a laugh or thoughtful reaction, he sped onto the next item. That was frustrating. Several times I had to stop the tape so I could savor the humor and not quickly forget it. If he were standing before an audience he’d stop for the laughs.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook length: 3 hrs and 35 mins. Swearing language: mild with Jesus Christ used about t
Jake
Jun 15, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, short-stories
Woody Allen is so good at what he does, whether it's films or books, apparently. He understands slapstick as well as he does solemnity, just as he knows the dance between thoughtful philosophy and throw-away absurdity. This is the first book I've read of his, but I've been a huge fan of his movies for years (as is everyone else who has ever read this book).

The first few stories are wackier than those that come later (still so good), but it seems like Allen figures out what he set out to do prett
RØB
Apr 30, 2013 RØB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to RØB by: Eric Von Damage
I felt like the overall quality of the stories in SIDE EFFECTS was more even, or more evenly good, but I don't think any of the individual stories is (for me) as good as some I liked from GETTING EVEN. Standouts for me were THE SHALLOWEST MAN (due in part to the ending, which is basically just commentary on the story by a bunch of different people who ultimately throw their hands up at the whole thing), and THE QUERY which begs the important and boggling question of just exactly where some of th ...more
Don
Oct 07, 2012 Don rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadfully unfunny stuff. The humor is on the level of a slightly clever twelve-year-old, going for obvious gags - but occurring, as much as possible, every single line. That sort of thing might work for a roast, or other live-delivered gigs, but that style is completed unsuited for short stories. Consider the following paragraph:
The trial, which took place over the following weeks, was like a circus, although there was some difficulty getting the elephants into the courtroom. At last, the jury
Sonya
Jun 28, 2012 Sonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Woody makes fun of a lot of things... like food critics, fear of death, intellectuals, infidelity (of course), falling in love, whiny wives, existential crises, and for some reason, Abraham Lincoln's long legs. He makes a lot of heavy references in light manners such as philosophers (good ol' Marx, Schopenhauer), literary kings (Proust, Flannery), and historical events (Holocaust, European invasions).

I don't really find this a light read despite the fact it's under 250 pages. You're going to
C
Oct 02, 2015 C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The jokes in this book must have seemed profound and hilarious when I read it oh-so many years ago. Alas reading the book this time resembles eating day-old baguette. It has lost its warmth and delightful crunch.
Zari
"More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Artem Huletski
Mar 15, 2015 Artem Huletski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"По мнению сегодняшних астрономов, Вселенная не бесконечна. Это чрезвычайно ободряющая весть, особенно для тех, кто никогда не помнит, куда дел ключи".
Sergiu Pobereznic
I am a huge fan of this man's thoughts, thought process, or musings, so my review is perhaps more than a little biased. In this review I am also including several of Mr. Allen's books because I feel the same about all of them: Without Feather's, Mere Anarchy and Getting Even.
His style of humour is not for everyone, but it certainly works with me and many of my friends. His seemingly disjointed ideas have affected me positively for decades now. The way he offers an absurd, skewed perspective abou
Agbonmire Ifeh
Jun 30, 2010 Agbonmire Ifeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woody Allen is the biggest boss, his wit his legendary and is creativity is above par. "The Kugelmass Episode" was the icing on the cake the story was so enjoyable that I was angry that it finished. I was laughing like a mad man as I read the book in a bus and I was getting puzzling glances. The stories are what fiction should be a beautiful journey, a good summer, a big harvest. This book ranks in my top list of book to reread all the time.
Lloyd Scott
Oct 27, 2009 Lloyd Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Either you like woody allen or you don't, I have always liked him and I still do, the man is amazing. This is one of his first books that he ever wrote and I love it, it is like he is reading it to me. The man is a genius and hysterical, I love his vision, his comedic prowess, his dramas, his films and his wit; I went to a high school in Los Angeles in a jewish neighborhood so I can never get enough Jewish jokes from woody allen.
Debjani  Banerji
Apr 25, 2012 Debjani Banerji rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience with a Woody Allen book . Loved it for its quirkiness and a "different" sense of humour. Loved the story about the man who goes back into time to find the "perfect' woman, retribution, the Needleham case. Highly recommended with people who have a sense of humour and who love things that are not sane. Don't look for anything "normal" in this book. You wont find any!
Erinç D.
Dec 06, 2015 Erinç D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
İroniye, mizaha, sarkastikliğe doyulan anlar...
Steven Belanger
Jul 12, 2010 Steven Belanger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh-out-loud funny, as was Without Feathers. "My Speech to the Graduates" is anthologized everywhere, including in serious collections of essays. You have to be able to separate the person from the art in order to truly appreciate his genius, but I can understand those who insist that they just can't do it. But he truly is a genius, a word I don't just throw around.
Emanuella
Dec 02, 2012 Emanuella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Не ми допадна. Опитах се да си представя, че Камен Донев ми разказва несвързани и небивали истории, но пак не ми беше забавно... Имаше 2-3 интересни разказа, но предпочитам филмите му. Българското издание е пълно с правописни грешки, които са почти на всяка страница. Дразнещо е.
Ian A
Jun 04, 2015 Ian A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the book Side Effects. The biggest reason for me liking it so much is that I tend to start and finish many books at the same time because of the stories. There were about 17 or 18 stories all with a common theme so they were relatable but not the same. It isn't told in anyone point of view because their are numerous stories throughout the book. I would defiantly recommend this book because of how fast it is and how exciting and cliff-hanging all of the stories are. The only thin ...more
ChaserDream11083
Jan 23, 2014 ChaserDream11083 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persian
خیلی کتاب زیبایی بود...اون داستان سخرانی من برای فارق التحصیلان هم واقعا عالی بود...حرفهاش خیلی درست بود واقعا ...من که از خوندن این کتاب لذت بردم..واقعا وودی آلن نابغست

Christos Bouras
The problem with woody allen's world is that you can't participate, it's an invented world. It was difficult for me to understand all of his jokes and remarks, and for the most of his stories the plot was a little bit confusing. It's not only his writings that are too sophisticated for me, but the combination of philosophical abstracts with jokes make me feel unconfortable.
Nevertheless, I prefer him as a director than author.
As a conclusion, it's not a bad book. Short stories with fancy contex
Goodreads Librari...: please, combine editions 2 14 Jul 19, 2013 07:07AM
  • The Lazlo Letters
  • The Onion's Finest News Reporting, Volume 1
  • The Deep Zoo
  • Deep Thoughts
Heywood "Woody" Allen (born Allan Stewart Konigsberg) is a three-time Academy Award-winning American film director, writer, actor, jazz musician, comedian and playwright. His large body of work and cerebral film style, mixing satire, wit and humor, have made him one of the most respected and prolific filmmakers in the modern era. Allen writes and directs his movies and has also acted in the majori ...more
More about Woody Allen...

“Kugelmass, unaware of this catastrophe, had his own problems. He had not been thrust into Portnoy's Complaint, or into any other novel, for that matter. He had been projected into an old textbook, Remedial Spanish, and was running for his life over a barren, rocky terrain as the word tener ("to have") - a large and hairy irregular verb - raced after him on its spindly legs.” 16 likes
“It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones
slept better, [Cloquet thought,] while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking
hours much more.”