Start by marking “Farewell to the Master” as Want to Read:

Harry Bates
Read Book* *Different edition

Farewell to the Master

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  21 reviews

Were the alien and his robot here to help or hinder humankind? Find out the surprising answer in the original story that inspired the classic 1951 science-fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still.

This is a must-read for any science-fiction lover, for, as the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction says, "the film lost the story"s ironic ending." Now listeners can discover first

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published December 5th 2008 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Farewell to the Master, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farewell to the Master

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Farewell to the Master is the short story that forms the premise of the popular 1951 (remade in 2008) science fiction movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, in which an alien and his robot visit Earth to warn humans that their atomic weapons and violent tendencies will not be tolerated by the rest of the galaxy. Earth can get in line with peaceful galactic ideology, or be destroyed.

Not surprisingly, Bates’ story, which was published before atomic weapons wer
Darren Humphries
The interest in reading this story because it spawned one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time (and no I don't mean the Keanu Reeves one)is probably much higher than the success of the story itself. It suffers from being a view of the future from the past and some of the predictions have gone in different directions or produced technology that would have made for a different story.

That said, it's not too long to strain patience and like all good shorter stories the final line has the sting
Alice Lee
Farewell to the Master is a great example of your classic science fiction - gritty and simple. It does exactly what the classic science fiction genre tries to do, with the same characteristic flaws of the genre - that is, unadorned prose, two-dimensional characters, and naive view of society - but coupled with the strengths, which is the showcase of an idea. Perhaps the flatness of the classic scifi landscape is necessary, so that the readers can focus their attention on the one feature the auth ...more
Katie Herring
Woo, that ending was intense! I'm still not too sure what it meant...

I had to read this for one of my classes, and I believe this was a good choice to start the course of with!

This short story follows Cliff, a young photographer, and the two aliens who land in Washington, D.C. Throughout the story, suspense is built around Gnut's eery eyes, and the proposed movement of his limbs.

------

I finished this a few hours ago, and I'm still thinking about that ending. While this wasn't written beautifull
Keith
I read this classic story in the 1960's.
Ntharotep Dragon
This book barely made it to three stars with me and did only because of the classic status the book has. I read this once I found out it was the (very loose I would say) basis for the Day the Earth Stood Still. It barely resembles that classic movie and, in this instance, I would have to say the movie was better than the book. It is rare that I say this but in this case it is true in my opinion (and only the classic movie, not the remake with Keanu Reeves thank you).
Seth Kenlon
This story is the basis for one of my favourite movies, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and while it's a LOT different, it's very very good. I think of it in the same way that I compare Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and BladeRunner; both claim to be from the same source, but they're completely different and are best thought of as independent works. So it's worth a read whether or not you ever saw the film.
Ptaylor
This is a short story, and it's now available only as an ebook. I don't care for science fiction as a rule, but I really enjoyed this one. I've seen the movie based on it, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and I was told the story had a twist. It certainly did, and I never saw it coming. The film is a classic, but I wonder how it would have fared if it had been closer to Bates' story. Well worth the .99 I paid.
Anne
Having seen both versions of the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", I was very interested to read the story which inspired the movies. To be honest, the story puts the movies to shame. I've noticed that it has also been published in a book of stories which have been made into major motion pictures, but I didn't read it there. I read it on the internet at the url mentioned with the book.
Farah
Great story if you keep in mind that it was written in 1940. I was intrigued to read it because of the 1951 movie it inspired however, after reading it, I realized the movie went into a completely different direction. So I suggest an open mind and not to expect the same story as the movie. I thought the story's ending was a bit more shocking than the movie's moral-lesson ending.
Take Me To Your Reader
The story that inspired a sci-fi classic, and a less classic remake. We at the Take Me To Your Reader reviewed the book and films: listen in here!
Christopher Laughlin
This is the short story upon which "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is based; it is not as excellent as the 1951 version, but it is better than the remake. The "twist" at the end is not surprising, but the story is OK.
Jack
Very good, but I am a big fan of TDTESS (the original, not the execrable Reeves remake). Quite different from the film, none the less an interesting read.
Patrick
The original tale of the tragic visit to Earth by Klaatu, an emissary from space. Adapted into the 1951 film, “The Day the Earth Stood Still.”
Hunter Johnson
Farewell to Master, by Harry Bates. The short story that was the basis for The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Vince Cipriano
A very compelling read which was the basis for Edward H. North's screenplay for "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951).
Dustin
Short and sweet. Neat but there was a lot of meat left on those bones.
Tyrran
Nov 29, 2010 Tyrran marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-obtain
I'm currently foraging through second-hand book stores trying to find this one.
Scott Weeks
Interesting concepts, and suspenseful, but not a great payoff.
Rhian Davies
Surprising story. The film bore no resemblance to this at all.
Balle Millner
Balle Millner marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Roberta
Roberta marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Kellye
Kellye marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
  • The Dandelion Girl
  • Politician Won (Thresl Chronicles #3)
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • The Big Trip Up Yonder
  • That Leviathan, Whom Thou Hast Made
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
  • The New Death and others
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • The Wonderful Visit
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • Blind Devotion (The Shifters #3)
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • The Man
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas Astounding Stories of Super-Science: February 1930 Astounding Stories of Super-Science January 1930 Astounding Stories Of Super Science, March 1930 Astounding Stories of Super-Science: September 1930