Start by marking “The Cry of Winnie Mandela” as Want to Read:
The Cry of Winnie Mandela

The Cry of Winnie Mandela

A group of African women at a specific period in Southern Africa s history find their family life under pressure from capitalist modernity and apartheid. This is a deeply humane, sympathetic and generous book on the one hand but is unflinching in its honesty. Ndebele represents a rare breed of writer able to combine political awareness with a sensitivity towards context, ...more
Published December 19th 2006 by Ayebia Clarke Publishing (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Cry of Winnie Mandela, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cry of Winnie Mandela

Things Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieSo Long a Letter by Mariama BâNervous Conditions by Tsitsi DangarembgaThe Stranger by Albert Camus
Best by African Authors
262nd out of 316 books — 141 voters
Disgrace by J.M. CoetzeeDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyLong Walk to Freedom by Nelson MandelaCry, the Beloved Country by Alan PatonMy Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan
Best South African reads
129th out of 181 books — 126 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Feb 11, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Kinna Reads
Everybody knows the story of Winnie Mandela, venerated as the stoic wife of the world’s secular saint Nelson Mandela while he languished in prison on Robben Island under the South African apartheid regime, only to be vilified as a wicked woman in the last few years before his release.

This remarkable book, The Cry of Winnie Mandela, A Novel uses the story of Penelope from Greek myth, to analyse the untenable position of women whose husbands are absent for long periods of time. It’s written from a
José Toledo
Jun 02, 2014 José Toledo rated it it was ok
The mere two-star rating requires a bit of an explanation. The Cry of Winnie Mandela is a great tale, with lofty subject matter and excellent writing, but presented as a novel it falls far short of stylistic and narrative expectations for the genre. I cannot comment on the revised version published last autumn because I have not seen it, but in this original one it is really quite a pity that five potentially immensely fascinating and powerful characters are obliterated by the collegiate voice ...more
Mariana
Oct 06, 2012 Mariana rated it it was amazing
This amazing book talks about women in South Africa whose husbands are absent. There are millions of women whose husbands have left to work in the mines, factories, exile, education, disappearances and arrest-and-torture, also death. Many women whose husbands came back, found they came back as strangers. This book is a novel that tells the story of four women and Winnie Mandela. It gets it right!
Nina Chachu
Oct 14, 2012 Nina Chachu rated it liked it
One of the books I chose for my Africa Reading Challenge http://kinnareads.wordpress.com/2012/... . I am not exactly over-enthused, I have to admit. I guess because the story was essentially a political commentary, not really a novel in my view. For what it said, fine; for characters not really.
Jacqui Robbins
Jan 10, 2015 Jacqui Robbins rated it really liked it
Four women waiting for their husbands meet to play a game in which they tell their stories and address Winnie Mandela in hopes she will share hers. This is a unique and fascinating book, in structure, in voice, and in the way it dances between and ties together the personal and political.
Kate
Jul 27, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
In my opinion, an excellent book (though it's taken a lot of literary-criticism flak). It answers the call among many South African writers and critics for literature about women, family, and rural life. Moving, smart, provocative.
elizabeth
Jun 18, 2007 elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything quite like this. As a meditation on waiting and gender, it beats the pants off Godot. I think there is something important, if imperfect, in his mix of mythologies. And (I realize this reveals my own limitations) I'm still startled that this book was written by a man...
Marty James
May 30, 2016 Marty James rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Ndebele writes with such lucidity and intelligence. A great story-teller and essayist, here he shows himself a passionate intelligent man interested in womens issues with not a hint of paternalism. Elegant writing.
Themba Bhekizulu
Jun 21, 2016 Themba Bhekizulu rated it really liked it
Yes, man. Ndebele knows this stuff. This is good. Good study of the powerful women in our society. Frightening to think back on our history and see how our people - especially our women - have been treated and how they've responded. Important book, this.
Nicholas
Jan 04, 2011 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Quite an original and impressive book about the waiting of women during the apartheid era. Imaginative and interesting.
Riley
Riley rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
David Kenvyn
David Kenvyn rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Synne
Synne rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Michaela
Michaela rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Piper
Piper rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2010
Lauren Basson
Lauren Basson rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Fabian Graham
Fabian Graham rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2014
Dex
Dex rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2011
Carrie
Nov 23, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it
3.5
Vicphanvsdm
Vicphanvsdm rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Lavinia Emmett-grey
Lavinia Emmett-grey rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Anna Lindstrom
Anna Lindstrom rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2011
Kinna
Kinna rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Dolone
Dolone rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Chris Holmes
Chris Holmes rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2007
Aurélie
Aurélie rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Professor Njabulo Simakahle Ndebele an academic, a literary and a writer of fiction, is the former Vice-Chancellor and Principal of the University of Cape Town.

Ndebele's father was Nimrod Njabulo Ndebele and his mother was Makhosazana Regina Tshabangu. He married Mpho Kathleen Malebo on 30 July 1971. They have one son and two daughters. Ndebele was awarded a Bachelor of Arts in English and Philoso
More about Njabulo S. Ndebele...