Start by marking “Angels Dance and Angels Die: The Tragic Romance of Pamela and Jim Morrison” as Want to Read:
Angels Dance and Angels Die: The Tragic Romance of Pamela and Jim Morrison

Angels Dance and Angels Die: The Tragic Romance of Pamela and Jim Morrison

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The softcover edition examines the turbulent relationship between legendary Doors frontman Jim Morrison and his common-law wife, Pamela Courson, tracing the lives of Courson and Morrison before their fateful meeting in 1965, their lives together until Morrison's death in 1971, and Coursin's life without Morrison, including her fight to gain the rights to his estate until h ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Music Sales Ltd (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Angels Dance and Angels Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels Dance and Angels Die

Mark Laflamme
After "No One Here Gets Out Alive" laid bare the hedonistic and troubled history of Jim Morrison and the Doors, it seemed all available information had been served up for the public appetite and there was nothing left to say. Numerous volumes on the topic followed but most only echoed what had already been said. For nearly three decades, "No One Here" has remained the ultimate guide to the enigmatic singer and his long-suffering band.
It feels vaguely traitorous to say so but I'm going to do it a
Lauren
I absolutely loved this. I learnt some things about Jim that I never knew about before and it certainly made me understand why he acted the way he did during the last years of his life.

I think Pam & Jim were soulmates and they always will be. they were perfect for each other. I love the idea that they went through so much together, yet in the end they stayed together because their love outweighed all of the bad times.
Katie
This book was given to me by my best friend who is now among the angels. By far one of my favorites.
Jason
Many years ago I was a long haired musician wandering Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, California. Jim Morrison had been dead for a decade and Ms. Courson for almost as long. I had liked The Doors music, but I was far too young when Morrison's problems were in the News to be aware of them. I remembered that he died around the time that Jimi Hendrix. During my flirtation with Rock in the youth driven Hollywood of the 1980's, the band I was with became the house band at Gazzarri's on the Strip for a ...more
Kristine (fezabel)
Oct 17, 2008 Kristine (fezabel) rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: biography-memoir
People believe what they want to believe. And the author of this book, Ms. Patricia Butler, must desperately want to believe that Pamela Courson was a decent person and really loved Jim Morrison. She didn't love him - she only used him for money and security. On July 3, 1971, she watched as Jim died from her addiction. She was never married to him (common law or otherwise). They only had a marriage license application that was never filled out or turned in. Ms. Butler has no right to call her "M ...more
Nina
On first read I was disappointed that Pam was portrayed in the context of her relationship with Jim, but after re-reading and much thought, I realize that this is the only way we can attempt to know Pamela Courson. The 60s was the beginning of the feminist movement; in that era, band chicks were seen as an adjunct to the rock star. Agents and managers often encouraged the male stars to keep their significant relationships secret. Many women kept their personal aspirations hidden and basked in th ...more
Christie
I purchased "Angels Dance and Angels Die: The Tragic Romance of Pamela and Jim Morrison" from Amazon. I had this book on March 25, 2014 for $9.79. I had this book on my wish list for over a year now and finally just broke down and purchased it.

I know that I said I wouldn't publish a review for a book that is less than 3 stars, but that is for books that were sent to me by the author. If I have to pay for the book, I'm most certainly going to say what I think...it was my hard-earned money that I
Nancy
I have read many books on the Doors and Jim Morrison from many perspectives. I liked this book because I never read anything about his friends from childhood or their thoughts and experiences about/with him. This book also has many more details about Jim's day-to-day life unlike any others I have read. Reading about Pam also felt like I was getting much more insight into what made Jim who he was. I couldn't put this one down.
My Sister in law wrote this book. She did alot of research and you do learn about Jim Morrison and personal information that you wouldn't know otherwise with his relationship with Pamela. If you are interested in Jim and the Doors this is a great book about his life. I read it solely because she wrote it and was mildly interested.
Melissa Shirey
True love story

I'm glad a personal book on the relationship of Pam and Jim was published because it made them more human. It shows they weren't just the typical rock God and groupie but soul mates that lead an ordinary life with extraordinary circumstances.
Liz Minette
One of the best books I've read so far about the Doors. It gave Jim and Pam more depth to their personalities I thought rather than some of the one-dimensional stuff I've read and seen. I thought it was well-researched
Krista
For all my morbidness, I love love and what Jim and Pam had was the real deal, no matter how screwed up it usually was. I loved how he reffered to Pam as his "cosmic mate". *swoon* :)
Kashmir White
This book looks sugary on the outside, but the author certainly did her research. She is a main source for many of the better-known Morrison biographies. Essential Doors reading.
This one is my favorite rock biographies, and may be my favorite book of all time. It's a rock bio, a mystery, and a love story all in one.
Leslie
I enjoyed this book because it is the first one I've read about The Doors that gave me any kind of comprehensive picture of who Pamela Courson was. This is a joint biography--it tells about each person's childhood, their life together, Jim's death, Pamela's life after Jim died and about Pamela's death three years later.
I found it very interesting that the author rejects the alternate theories of how Jim died, to the point that she does not even elaborate on what they are. She just states that J
Osahi
Alhoewel de ondertitel doet vermoeden dat deze biografie voornamelijk over het liefdesleven van Jim Morrison en Pamela Courson zal gaan, blijkt het uiteindelijk toch voornamelijk een Morrison-biografie met extra aandacht voor Pamela en minder aandacht voor The Doors. Ik bleef ietwat op mijn honger zitten omdat auteur Patricia Butler weinig inzichten kan schenken in de romance. "It was just a nice couple" is de conclusie, net als de bekentenis dat er gewoon verdomd weinig van hun relatie geweten ...more
Marcia Guimaraes
I bought this book hoping I'd learn a little bit more about Jim and Pam's lives together, but the book, despite its title, doesn't give you much information on this. I also expected more about Pam's addiction but she's actually portrayed as a woman with no vices, much less with a heroin addiction. And the love birds described in the book ... it's just not real. Anyway, the book doesn't give the reader - or, rather, Morrison's fans - any new information. All here was already known.
Mark
I read this book quickly, I still think Jim Morrison is one of America's best poets.

...Strange world we live in... coincidence? in Egypt....The army ousted Mr Morsi on 3 July....

This book did little to make me care much about Pamela other than it is tragic for anyone to die so young and so alone, so heartbroken.

I am reminded of a quote by Jim Morrison... "I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments."

I guess
Marcello
Il libro della Butler è da apprezzare per le lunghe e approfondite ricerche che ne stanno alla base. Come sempre quando si parla di Jim e Pam, però, bisogna sempre ponderare tutto ... l'autrice è innamorata della storia dei due e a mio avviso ha una visione a tratti eccessivamente idilliaca del loro rapporto.
Alice
This book pretty much confirms that "Jim and Pam" were precisely the enigma they've been reputed to be. Even after what sounds and appears to have been a tremendous amount of research, the author fails to lend us any significant insight into or understanding of their relationship beyond quoting people repeatedly saying that they were like the same person in two different genders. As I think even she alludes to, it simply must be the case that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Intere ...more
Michael Foley
Another take on the tragic life of Jim Morrison.
Gerry
Jan 15, 2013 Gerry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
This was sort of a slow and tough read for me at the time I read it and I need to re-read it again to see if I appreciate it more. I just really didn't find Pamela Courson that interesting a person outside of her bedroom skills. This sounds pathetic and I should (and will) give her more credit in my next read of this book. I am certain that Doors fans will find this a good part of their collection, I am happy I own it for that purpose.
Good period piece on the relationship between Jim Morrison and Pamela Courson. It give brief bios of them both, but doesn't go too in-depth into either of their lives, or his time with The Doors. It was interesting to have some light shed on this pivotal relationship in Morrison's life, but there were still a lot of unanswered questions and things about their families that I hoped would be explained.
Cristiane Höller
I liked the book although it does not bring much detailed info on Pamela. What i mean is, i finished the book and still don't have a very good idea of who she was, what kind of person she really was. But assuming that it's very hard to get information on Pam, it was quite good to read some accounts of people who knew her and Jim. Still, i thougt the book a little confuse. The pictures are wonderful though.
Michelle Auer
I found this at a discount shop when I was looking for Strange Days. This is another side of a story that has been told a lot with a lot of childhood history and photos mixed in. I found this version interesting. Maybe a little dry.
For a man with a relatively short life, he left so many stories and broken hearts behind when he died. No wonder so many people have tried to write his story.
Hrbrown
It has been several years ago that I finished this book. I was in my early 20's and I was thirsty for love stories. It was even better for me that it involved Jim Morrison, who I was a big fan of, I received much pleasure from this book. There are times when I'm all by myself and I can recall lines from the pages.
Gail
Jun 20, 2012 Gail added it
This was a very good read. It gave me a great insight to the life of Jim Morrison and his life with Pam. Until now I never knew she even existed. They were truly 2 halves of the same whole! I would recommend this book to all his fan's!
John Rymer
Who cares? These people weren't interesting.
SmokingMirror
Two stars for the photos. I don't get the ridiculous adulation of "Jim and Pam" as a couple. Yes, they looked good together but that doesn't mean they were good for each other.
Denna
If you are a Jim Morrison fan then this book is great. There's a lot more info on Pam in this book then all of the others I've ever read.
  • Strange Days: My Life With and Without Jim Morrison
  • Love, Janis
  • Scars of Sweet Paradise: The Life and Times of Janis Joplin
  • Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses
  • Meine Preise
Barry Manilow Barry Manilow: The Biography (Paperback Edition) Indigo Swans Wicklow Through the Artist's Eye: An Exploration of County Wicklow's Historic Gardens, c. 1660 - c. 1960 Lars Von Trier 197 Success Facts - Everything You Need to Know about Lars Von Trier