Start by marking “The Look of Love (Wedding Cake Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Look of Love (Wedding Cake Mystery, #2)

The Look of Love (Wedding Cake Mystery #2)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,264 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
“One of the most talented story tellers around.”
Associated Press

“Clark has perfected the suspense novel…in classic Christie fashion.”
Booklist

New York Times bestseller Mary Jane Clark introduced readers to professional wedding cake decorator and amateur sleuth Piper Donavan in her acclaimed mystery novel To Have and To Kill. Piper’s back in The Look of Love, on cake creat
Published January 17th 2012 by William Morrow (first published December 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Look of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Look of Love

Linda Hart
Easy, clean read.
Vivian
Dec 07, 2011 Vivian rated it it was ok
Piper Donovan isn't the average wedding cake baker. In fact she's only made one wedding cake before, but what a cake it was. On the basis of that one cake, she has been asked to come to Los Angeles and make a cake for Jillian Abernathy, director of Elysium. A trip to LA, a wedding cake, some acid in the face and a few murders are all ingredients in The Look of Love by Mary Jane Clark.

Piper may not be a traditional wedding cake baker/decorator but she does have excellent skills. These skills are
Ashley (yAdult Review)
Jan 28, 2013 Ashley (yAdult Review) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, blog
Originally posted at Nose in a Book

I picked this book up for the cover. If I had shame I wouldn’t tell you that. Good for all of you I have no shame. I was in a book slump. Sad but true. You’d think with 300+ books in my waiting to be read queue, I wouldn’t have that problem. Sadly, it happened.

So when I was at the library last week I picked this up.Late one night I decided you know what, lets read it. Then the problem happened I got sucked into this book and the next thing I know it is two am a
Dawn Michelle

I LOVE this series. LOVE. IT. And there were SO many people who COULD have done it that I just never knew who to choose! And then when it was revealed, I was surprised, but not shocked. Twisted. Very, very twisted. The things people do for what they believe is "love".
Kim
Nov 12, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing
An adventure out in Cali!
Marie
Feb 01, 2012 Marie rated it really liked it
In The Look of Love, Piper Donovan is asked to create a wedding cake for Jillian Abernathy, the owner of Elysium, an exclusive spa in Los Angles. Part of the deal states that Piper gets to stay at the spa the entire week before the wedding. Shortly after she arrives, though, one of the guests is murdered. With the wedding just days away, is doesn't look like Jillian is going to be walking down the aisle any time soon.

I really enjoyed this book. It's such an easy read that I breezed through it i
JudithAnn
Jan 19, 2012 JudithAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Piper Donovan is asked to provide a cake for the wedding of a spa owner in California. She’s invited to spend a week at the very luxurious spa while preparing the cake.

Soon after she arrives there is a murder and it appears that Jillian, the bride, is in danger. There are several people who have a reason to harm her or via her, her father, who dotes on her.

Piper gets to know some of the guests and helps one of them to try and uncover possible foul play (maybe unrelated to the murder). Meanwhile
Shonda
Feb 19, 2012 Shonda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
It's About: When Piper is offered an all-expense paid trip to Los Angeles to bake a wedding cake for Jillian Abernathy, she's a bit hesitant. After spending New Year's Eve with Jack, the man she's seeing, she thinks it's best to leave Jersey for awhile to think about where their relationship is going.

Her father is not sold on the idea of her going. Jillian's housekeeper was recently attackedan attack meant for Jillian. He warns Piper to be careful and not to get involved with the investigation.
Debbie
Feb 02, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, fiction
"The Look of Love" is a very fast-paced mystery/suspense novel. This book is the second in the series. You don't need to read the first book to understand this one, and this one didn't spoil the whodunit of the first mystery. However, the under-developed romance of the first book was even sketchier in this novel. If the second novel was all you had to go on, then the guy didn't even come across as desirable.

Like the first novel, Piper is curious about who is murdering people, but she doesn't sno
Teena in Toronto
Jan 17, 2015 Teena in Toronto rated it really liked it
Jack and Piper have been friends for a while and he would like to take things further. Piper has been hurt before and doesn't want to risk their friendship. To give them some space, Piper accepts a job in L.A. to decorate Jillian and Ben's wedding cake. Because she's also an actress, Piper asks her agent to line up some auditions.

Jillian is the director of the exclusive spa, Elysium, which her father, a famous plastic surgeon, owns. When Piper arrives, she discovers she's not going to just have
Julie
Feb 09, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a light, fast read. When I say a light read, I mean - a really light read. I enjoyed it and I liked the Piper Donovan character but it skims along pretty quickly, with plenty of red herrings thrown in. Even though I didn't guess who the killer was before it was revealed, I knew who the killer wasn't, and the ending was pretty predictable.

All in all, this isn't the kind of book I'd gush about, but there's nothing really wrong with it, either. I
TheGeekyBlogger
Jan 17, 2012 TheGeekyBlogger rated it it was ok
Received from Publisher
Overall Rating 2.75
Story Rating 2.50
Character Rating 3.00

First thought when finished: The story just coasted then bam it was done!

What I Loved: I did find the characters of The Look of Love to be interesting. I did not read the first book in the series so I did not know what to expect. However, I really loved the Abernathy family. I also really loved Piper's family.

What I Liked: I thought the giving of a few different suspects for the murders was very well done. Mary Jane
Cheryl
Jan 22, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Piper Donovan is a cake maker. Piper receives a phone call from Jillian Abernathy. Jillian is the owner of Elysium, an exclusive spa. Jillian is getting married and wants Piper to make her wedding cake. Both Piper’s father and her good friend, Jack don’t think that Piper should take the job. It could be because someone does not want Jillian to get married. In fact, Jillian’s poor maid was the recipient of a face full of acid that was meant for Jillian. Despite all the warnings, Piper heads to ...more
Kari
Apr 11, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
I should have known when the first book, To Have and To Kill, in this series was just an OK read for me. I was hoping for better with The Look of Love, but sadly it was also just OK for me. As with the first book, there were just too many suspects thrown into the pot. Even with the amount of people thrown in, the real culprit came as a surprise for me. I didn't see it coming at all. I didn't feel like there were enough clues to really point to the killer. Also, Piper, again kind of stumbles into ...more
Shana
Jan 01, 2012 Shana rated it liked it
I read the first in this series and this one is just as good. Piper Donovan is getting closer with Jack, expanding her cake making, still dealing with her mother's health problems and of course she's finding herself smack dab in the middle of another mystery. If you liked the first in the wedding cake series you will like this second installment. If you haven't read the first you don't have to, to come in and understand the characters.

If you like cozy type mysteries you should like this one. I
Linda
Jan 19, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
A winter storm causing downtown gridlock is a great excuse to stay at work a little later and finish a book. Of course the fact that most of the action in this takes place in sunny Los Angeles rubs salt in the wound of this Clevelander.

Second book in this series and the author remains true to the character who is based on her daughter, an aspiring actress. I appreciate the little touches like updating Facebook or tweeting used by the main character.

Plenty of suspects in this who done it at a fan
Oct 28, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
I won this from a Goodreads Giveaway! I actually won it months ago and kept putting it off trying to find a good time to give it a fair chance. I've been looking to find a new fun, easy reading mystery series since the ones I love probably won’t go on forever.

With The Look of Love I definitely found a quick, easy read. The mystery was light and fun. It kept me guessing between characters trying to decide who done it. My only problem was that I felt the characters lacked character. I never reall
Ashley
Mar 23, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Similar to the Mary Jane Clark books I've read in the past, this was an enjoyable quick and entertaining light read. It has short chapters and moves along quickly through the story. This is a great book for those who have little time for reading, because it's easy to pick up and read a little bit and continue reading later. I read through this book pretty quickly this weekend. I enjoyed the mystery and little bits about cake decorating, which is a hobby I love. I was happy with the narrative as ...more
Grace Herbst
Jan 15, 2015 Grace Herbst rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
Although it's an easy to read and chapters are short, I felt that the chapters were too short of character development. Maybe it's because I'm so used to reading long chapters that it was hard for me to enjoy short chapters. Every few pages, there was another character's perspective and I felt like the same thing was being told too many times. It's funny because most of the time, I usually enjoy reading about different characters and what they are doing compared to another character. Carol ...more
Apr 18, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
I read this (and the first book in the series) because it's set in my town and I get a cheap thrill from reading about my local haunts, only with exciting events in them. That worked for the first book, but this one is set mostly in LA, so that didn't work as well for me.

The characters in this series are great, and you get to know Jack, Piper and her family better here. The downside is that the plot is full of red herrings (I really don't understand why the guilty party wanted to disfigure the b
Jodi
Dec 31, 2013 Jodi rated it it was ok
Piper is an out of work actress who has done one successful wedding cake on the side for an actress friend. The publicity brought her a request for another wedding cake, in LA, for the manager of Elysium, the famous spa and plastic surgery haven (or heaven). But things are not going so wonderfully for the bride. Someone is trying to kill her which is putting a damper on the wedding spirit. Piper can't help but want to get to the bottom of it. But the story was obvious and Piper wasn't ...more
Stefanie
Jan 26, 2012 Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
I won my copy of The Look of Love: A Piper Donovan Mystery by Mary Jane Clark through GoodReads FirstReads and I loved it! What a fun mystery! It starts out with an attack on the wrong person, then Piper the part time actress and one time wedding cake designer being asked to design the wedding cake of Jillian Abernathy, daughter of the owner of the most exclusive spa in California, then mysterious and dangerous happenings abound. Just when I thought I had it figured out and who the ...more
Brandie
Feb 05, 2013 Brandie rated it really liked it
Piper Donovan is back. And it's time for another wedding, and therefor another wedding cake!

This time Piper heads out to California to make a cake for the daughter of a famous spa owner. Piper is excited about getting to go to Hollywood - as an actress it's very exciting - and she even gets an audition lined up for while she is out there.

Her friends and family are not nearly as excited for her. The bride's maid has been recently attacked with acid. The bride, Jillian, was probably the intended
Katie
Jan 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book & I must say I found it quite exciting to read. The book took several turns & twists & had me highly anticipating the end. I love reading a good mystery book like this. The main character Piper Donovan has a real personality & I enjoyed reading this book from her point of view. The character's where very interesting, I loved that her father was way to over protective, it reminds me of my dad.

The author does a great job at keeping all the characters orga
Kathryn Bain
Apr 06, 2014 Kathryn Bain rated it liked it
Piper Donovan is a cake decorator wanna be actress so she heads out to LA to do a wedding cake in the hopes of picking up work for her fledgling career. She stays at a spa where there is a murder. Then another.

Piper isn't really involved in solving these murders, she's merely a bystander. Not a bad idea since she has no real expertise in solving crimes. There are several characters who could have done it.

No much suspense so you won't have to worry about reading it at night. Overall, a decent b
Linda
Jan 22, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed reading Clark's books since she began writing the KEY news series and am now enjoying her new wedding cake mystery series. Piper is a struggling actress who is helping with her mom's cake decorating business between jobs. When she is invited to the five-star Elysium resort and spa in California, she finds herself in the midst of a murder scene. Someone seems intent on making sure that Jillian, the beautiful owner of the spa, never reaches the altar. Clark offers a mystery that is ...more
Susan
Jan 28, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok
Once again, Piper Donovan, actress and cake baker, is chosen to prepare a wedding cake for an ill fated bride. Jillian is beautiful, engaged to a handsome doctor, and running her father's spa with great efficiency. But she has many enemies, and one has already made an attempt on her life. Piper's family in New Jersey (and her would-be beau, FBI agent Jack, in New York) are reluctant to let her go to California to bake the cake, but the warm weather and possible acting jobs beckon, and soon Piper ...more
KBev
Jan 06, 2012 KBev rated it liked it
This book was decent. It was a nice easy mystery to get involved in for a night. It had lots of cliff hangers and foreshadowing that kept me reading.

The one thing I wish is that Mary Jane Clark would have gotten dirty in this book. And by that, I mean actually writing out the dirty parts - i.e. murders & arrests & fights - instead of just ending the chapter right before the murder/arrest/fight and then starting the next chapter out with it all being finished. It becomes a bit unsatisfac
Knight
Aug 16, 2013 Knight rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the crafty/cozy genre
Shelves: ebooks, crafties
Light and frothy, a quick read. I read it in one day. Nothing telegraphed the identity of the murderer, so that's a good point. With all the many chapters, the book is a bit choppy.

There were parts about the ending that left me unsatisfied. There is dramatic Piper in peril scene and then boom, the story is almost done. I would like to have seen the various characters after the peril scene and how everything played out for them.

I will probably go back and read the first one. Update: I've read th
Jacquelynn Fritz
Jun 03, 2012 Jacquelynn Fritz rated it really liked it
This is a new series about Piper Donovan, a want to be actress and wedding cake designer. She is invited to the Elysium Spa to design the cake for Julie Abernathy the director of the spa. She is also the owner's daughter. Julie's maid is murdered and Piper gets involved in the mystery of finding who did the murder. She also helps in the arrest of a molester who works at the spa. You will guess who the murderer is before the end, but its still a fun read, with likeable characters. I look forward ...more
  • The Lost Gardens
  • A Cup of Jo (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #6)
  • The Weaver and the Factory Maid (Haunted Ballad, #1)
  • Moon Spinners (Seaside Knitters, #3)
  • Death by the Dozen (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • The Serpent's Coil (Prophecy of Days, #2)
  • An Unholy Communion (Monastery Murders, #3)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Antiques Maul (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #2)
  • Pretty Is As Pretty Dies (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
  • Blaze of Glory (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #2)
  • The Death of Amelia Marsh (A Sally Nimitz Mystery, #1)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

Wedding Cake Mystery (4 books)
  • To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1)
  • Footprints in the Sand (Wedding Cake Mystery, #3)
  • That Old Black Magic (Wedding Cake Mystery, #4)

“Everything’s bad until it’s good. If this is what you really want, then you just have to hang in there until you get to the good times.” 2 likes