Start by marking “The Mermaid's Knight (Once Upon a Time Travel, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mermaid's Knight (Once Upon a Time Travel, #1)

The Mermaid's Knight (Once Upon a Time-Travel #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  677 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When a car accident takes Leah Sunderland's life, she finds herself in dire need of divine assistance. Her fairy godmother comes to the rescue, but her help comes with conditions. As a fairy godmother, the only assistance she can offer deals with (you guessed it) fairy tales. To win a second chance at life, Leah must play out the tale of The Little Mermaid.

Armed with a mer
Published August 28th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Mermaid's Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mermaid's Knight

MISS VAIN
Sep 09, 2011 MISS VAIN rated it really liked it
Shelves: jill-myles
I told you encourage him. Tease him. Toss your hair at him a little. Make him want you. Keep him thirsting for more and don't give it to him. That's the trick to keeping a man panting after you."

As usual Jill Myles still maintains her charm and provocative skills for writing passionate and fun PNR reads. Leah wakes up only to discover she's been killed in car accident after a drunk driver speeds through a red light. With the help of her eccentric fairy godmother Muffin, a devastated Leah gets
Sivy
Jan 10, 2015 Sivy rated it it was amazing
5 stars read!! Better version of The Little Mermaid :).
☛ Kay

I guess this would be one of those times where I’ve never found a quote that struck as something I wanted to remember or I was just too busy enjoying reading that I forgot I need to look for one.

I gotten this book free after signing up in a newsletter because Partner Games was uploaded per chapter on the author’s website as it was written and I just got too excited I wanted to be notified when the new chapter is up.

So one morning, feels like a fairytale, isn’t it?, I decided to read the book wit

Cyp
Oct 13, 2011 Cyp rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of The River of Time series and Kathryn Lasky
Originally posted on A Bookalicious Story.

+ =ME

SHELLSHOCKED!

It isn't uncommon for the premise of books such as The Mermaid's Knight to be thought of as "Cliche", "Childish", and "Totally not worth the time". Well, ok I have to admit that: Cliche? Yes. Childish? A liiiittle bit. Totally not worth the time? Utter bullshit. Cause this book had my completely under its thrall throughout the reading process. It was, and is, THAT good. Hence, I was shellshocked.

Just a brief summary before I continue
Melindeeloo
Dec 30, 2015 Melindeeloo rated it it was ok
2.5 stars = okay. Not terrible, just didn't grab me - it didn't help that the heroine can't speak in this medieval set Little Mermaid inspired tale - on my first attempt I set this aside at 53%.

I did end up finishing this, mostly because I read book 2, The Beast' s Bride, and like it so much that inspired me to give this another shot. Still Mermaid's Knight never did really grab me, she fell in love too easily, and without her being able to speak there was no deeper relationship development bey
Melanie
A cute and sexy story - but I did find it dragged a bit in the middle.
Ana
Aug 11, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it
Penelope Fletcher
Nov 04, 2011 Penelope Fletcher rated it liked it
I loved the story of the little mermaid, so I bought this for 3 (bargain). It was good, nothing to fawn over or read over and over, but good enough to spend a Sunday morning reading with a cup of tea.

The writing was lackluster ... I'm not dying to absorb more of Miss Myles wordplay, I've forgotten most of it already, but the characters were engaging as I read. It seemed a bit long for what it was, lots of padding here and there that I had to force myself not to flick through. Without a doubt wh
Arianna
Aug 26, 2015 Arianna rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by Jill Myles and I can safely say that I will be back for more! The Mermaid's Knight exceeded all expectations. I've no doubt, Myles' other books would be just as fantastic!

“You must make the prince – well, actually he’s a baron, since princes are dreadfully difficult to come by – fall in love with you in a month’s time or we’ll be taking that trip to Heaven after all.”

The story begins with Leah Sunderland, who dies in a car accident. Luckily for her, she has a
Racheal (Most Honorable One)
I give this a solid 4.5 stars. I this is the third book that I've read by Jill Myles and I'm finding that I really love how she writes her romances. There's the attraction, the lust and through all of that, the struggle which adds so much tension. It really pulls you in and hooks you, making you feel more connected to the characters.

As to The Mermaids Knight, I loved the re-telling of The Little Mermaid. It's actually the first retelling of the classic that I've ever read, but I thought that it
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Sep 04, 2011 Cat Russell (Addicted2Heroines) rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was GREAT! It's the adult version of The Little Mermaid with really hot sex! What grown woman wouldn't enjoy that?

I'll throw together a full review whenever I'm not feeling so lazy ;)

"I am a fairy godmother, girl. A fairy godmother. Not a pimp."
Tammy Sargeant
I enjoyed. Pretty good twist on one of my favorite fairy tales. I love The Little Mermaid since it came out the day I was born.But Leah bugged the shit out of me. This woman is fromt the future, she's dropped in the fourteenth century. Since she couldn't find anything to write with, she's in a castle, I'm pretty sure there is dirt and dust and shit all around the castle. Why didn't she just drag Royce to a corner and spell out what was going on and say she was mute? GAH!!! That frustrated me, bu ...more
Alesia
Mar 01, 2013 Alesia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I love this book! I love the characters, the plot, everything! I love all of the books in this series and i can't wait to read more. This one is my favourite of the series so far because its longer and had a great storyline.
Jan 29, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
After deciding that I wanted to try another book about mermaids, I came across this one and was immediately attracted by the cover. This is a enjoyable story about a ordinary girl who gets thrown back in time. And like that wasn't enough to cope with, she also has to deal with being a mermaid. I liked how Leah struggled with the physicality of turning into a mermaid. It was interesting to see her struggle with being away from the ocean and the urge to go to the water. The relationship between he ...more
Linda Jaejoong
Jan 01, 2016 Linda Jaejoong rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-until-2016
In Band 1 der "Once Upon a Time-Travel" Reihe lernen wir die junge Leah kennen. Sie hat durch einen Autounfall ihr Leben verloren und müsste jetzt eigentlich in den Himmel kommen. Leider war der Unfall aber ein großes Missverständnis und Leah hat die Chance auf ein zweites Leben. Ihre gute Fee erscheint und berichtet ihr was sie dafür tun muss. Sie muss das Märchen der kleinen Meerjungfrau durchspielen und versuchen den Kriegsherrn Royce dazu zu bringen sich in sie zu verlieben.

Nichts leichter
Elenariel
Dec 27, 2011 Elenariel rated it it was ok
L'idea non era male, una rivisitazione in chiave adulta e più "asciutta" de la Sirenetta, ma lo svolgimento della storia e la caratterizzazione dei personaggi sono alquanto prevedibili e piatti. Ad esempio, la protagonista, diplomanda in fashion design, non fa nemmeno un misero commento su abbigliamento e arredamenti medievali, tantomeno dimostra difficoltà ad abituarvisi. Certo, confronto a vedere il proprio cadavere o a ritrovarsi con la coda forse sarebbe il male minore, ma è comunque il pern ...more
PepperP0t
(Actually 3.75 stars)

Leah wakes up dead after she's been killed by a drunk driver and her not quite watchful fairy godmother, Muffin, is there to help her earn a second chance at life. All Leah has to do is charm an arrogant lord that thinks she's a spy for his enemy. In thirty days!

This breezy read had well drawn characters for the material and was quick and entertaining. It would be perfect to read on the beach but it does have a tendency to make you snort with laughter.

Brittany
Jul 17, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a good read similar to the goddess summoning series by P.C. Cast and finally came across this series. I throughly enjoyed this read. This is the start of what looks to be a good series. This book gives us the story of the Little mermaid with a little twist. The mermaid in this story is a modern day woman that after her sudden death is sent back for a second chance. I love this story a great deal and have already started book 2.
Erin
May 19, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
For whatever reason, during the start of this book, I didn't think I was going to enjoy it very much.

Not exactly sure what made me not like it. I think also I kept thinking 'oh god, it's going to be the Disney version'.

It wasn't. That was nice.

I'm too tired to remember anything else at the moment, but I do remember that all in all, it was enjoyable.
Annie
The idea of this series - contemporary heroines given a second chance at life by making fairy tales work out the way they'e supposed to, like it or not - is entertaining. This isn't the strongest entry in the series - mainly because the heroine's inability to speak it a tad annoying - but still enjoyable.
Jessica
Nov 27, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
The opening of this book was just so funny I love Muffin the fairy Godmother and how she thought saving Leah by turning her into a mermaid would be an amazing surprise lol. Leah just kept getting into bigger and bigger messes because of Muffin but she also saved Royce's ass a time or two. Leah had to get Royce to fall in love with her within a month and that is somthing really hard to do when you can't talk and he thinks you are a spy of some sort and when your getting blackmailed into doing thi ...more
JCrow
Dec 29, 2014 JCrow rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Fun

This was a great story that had me all but yelling at the characters I was so engrossed. Be warned it's a bit longer than most books in the genre and is impossible to put down so plan accordingly. What a great read!
PointyEars42
Muffin needs to be arrested. I'm pretty sure stranding a person in another era of history naked, and in pain, with no way to defend herself, in the middle of a little civil war, is NOT in the fairy godmother handbook. I say this despite how much I want to slap any character from the modern era who can't be arsed to use her finger to write the word "MUTE" in the dirt to explain why she's not talking and who cant improvise an emergency beach-wrap when the occasion calls for it.

The cover looked so
Susytea
Jan 14, 2016 Susytea rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure I'd like this one from reading the blurb but it was quite a nice read! The hero was very sexy. The heroine was relatable. There was enough of a plot and plenty of sexy scenes. All in all, a good start to the series.
Kathleen
Jan 12, 2014 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I wasn't sure at first if I would like this book. Not because of the storyline or theme, but because the majority of books I download for free are poorly written or have incorrect grammar, spelling or sentence structure.

Jill Myles writes beautifully and the characters she creates don't feel like characters at all - it feels like you're reading a true story about real people. So what if one of them is a mermaid? I couldn't put this book down and Jill Myles has become an author
Tara
Jan 02, 2016 Tara rated it it was ok
Leah is a pretty likable heroine.
But with a b*tch of fairy godmother and a jerk of prince (or baron) charming...it's miracle I'd throw even one star, not to mention two.
Taylor
Jun 18, 2015 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet story. I was not disappointed at all, it was absolutely perfect. Definitely in the top 10 m/f books I've read.
Sapphire
Nov 26, 2011 Sapphire rated it it was amazing
This was an interesting and amusing take on Disneys "The Little Mermaid." I was happy to see more of Muffin, who cracks me up every time with her outfits and dialogue. I found myself just as frustrated as Leah with her inability to communicate, and shared her happiness in the moments things were going well for her. I was also angry with Royce at first because of his choice of wording when talking to Leah, but I'm glad that resolved itself the more he learned of her. In addition, I was worried fo ...more
Kirsty
Oct 30, 2015 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by Jill that I have read and I love it, love re-telling of fairy tales can't wait for next one
Cynthia
Jul 19, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
So far, the idea is good, you are dead and brought back to the medieval times for a second chance, but it doesn't end here, and you were turned to a mermaid and to make a knight(yip, not prince, the fairy godmother decided that this is too challenging) fall in love with you. I just wish Leah is smarter, as she lived in modern times and should be living medieval times few hundred years ahead, there should be some modern ideas she can use to make her life easier. What I mean is that adding a few m ...more
  • Loving an Ugly Beast (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #2)
  • Blood Will Tell (Gaian Consortium, #2)
  • Enthroned (King Arthur and Her Knights, #1)
  • Nation of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #2)
  • Deeper Than the Ocean (Phoenix Prophecy, #1)
  • Old Souls
  • The Mermaid's Pearl
  • Children of Time (After Cilmeri #4)
  • Fairy Tale Flirts 5 Romantic Short Stories
  • Not Without Juliet
  • Horker's Law (The Six Books of Magic, #1)
  • One Bite (Blood Prince, #2)
  • The Mighty Hunter (Lords of the Abyss, #1)
  • The Crusader (Crusader, #1)
  • The Barbarian's Mistress
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
  • Deck of Cards
  • Blind Allegiance (Blind, 1)
JILL MYLES is the author of the Succubus Diaries from Pocket Books. Jill also writes as Jessica Clare and Jessica Sims.

A NOTE ABOUT FRIENDING: I will happily friend you back if you friend me! Goodreads is, after all, about discussing books we both love. I will NEVER self-promote my books to you. And if you self-promote your books to me, no matter how nicely, I'm deleting you off my list. Sorry. Go
More about Jill Myles...

Once Upon a Time-Travel (4 books)
  • The Beast's Bride (Once Upon a Time Travel, #2)
  • The Snow Queen's Captive (Once Upon a Time Travel, #3)
  • Once Upon Another Time: An Anthology of Tales (Once Upon a Time-Travel Book 4)

“I can't, Muffin. I can't talk to him.

Why? He was good enough to sleep with, but not good enough to talk to now that he know's that you're part fish?”
2 likes