Start by marking “Sheep in a Shop” as Want to Read:
Sheep in a Shop

Sheep in a Shop (Sheep)

The "lovable muttonheads" are off to the store in search of the perfect birthday gift in this latest in the sheep series of rhymed read-alouds.
Other Format, 32 pages
Published March 3rd 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep in a Shop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep in a Shop

Sarah Sammis
Aug 08, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2011
Sheep in a Shop by Nancy E Shaw was one of three Shaw sheep books I used to read to my son when he was a toddler. I later read them to my daughter but both have grown up a bit and moved on in their reading tastes. We gave the Shaw books to a friend who has younger children.

While going through the culls, I realized I'd never reviewed it, even though I did the other two. So in a fit of nostalgia, I am writing a little review. That's the nice thing about running a personal blog, being able to give
Kelly
Sep 11, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: predictable-book
Sheep in a Shop written by Nancy Shaw and illustrated by Margot Apple, is a cute rhyming tale of a few sheep in a toy store buying a birthday gift for a fellow sheep. The sheep get into a bit of trouble by making a mess in the store but they are very responsible by cleaning it up. They then get into an even bigger conflict in which they must find a way to pay for all their gifts. They come up with a solution that helps everyone.
The cover and the illustrations are done well in color pencil shadin
Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 13, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The silly sheep from Sheep in a Jeep are back, this time shopping for a birthday gift in a small country store. Naively bumbling, they make all the inconsiderate mistakes that we might expect of such a group: trying on clothing, playing with toys on the floor, selecting a gift that requires a ladder to reach, and when they finally get to the cash register, discovering they don't have enough to pay. But their dilemma is happily solved when they decide to clip their wool, "three bags full," to swa ...more
Shannon Jones
It was a little to easy.
Danette
Jul 07, 2016 Danette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Read with Naomi & Julia.
Erin
Decision making
Alexandra Welsh
Sheep in a Shop by Nancy Shaw is a narrative poem because it tells a story. It has characters, a plot and theme. The characters are sheep; the plot is about the go shopping for a birthday present. The theme is a birthday party. In the beginning of the story, the sheep go shopping for a birthday that is coming up. They find rackets, rockets, jackets, clocks, trains. Then they stumble and fumble to get all of the presents stacked and carry them home. They go to the sales clerk to check out, but th ...more
Dolly
Oct 09, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
This is an entertaining book in the Sheep series of books by Nancy E. Shaw and Margot Apple. The rhythmic, rhyming narrative and colorful illustrations are sure to entertain young children. I like that the sheep had to earn the money to buy the present.

This book was a bit too 'babyish' for our girls and our youngest didn't like it, but surprisingly our oldest was game. We listened to the book narrated by George Capaccio on audio CD in the car while our oldest followed along with the book. She r
Nell Adams
This book is a book I probably would not choose to read to kids. It isn't bad but there are certainly better ones out there. It has good illustrations. Detailed enough to draw the reader's attention but simple enough that it could be understood. The words on each page run over the illustrations which I feel adds to the quality of the book. I feel this way about this book because you can see what it is that is going on right with the words. It is about a birthday that is coming up so the sheep go ...more
Connie
May 16, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connie's review: Very short, very rhyme-y. Good for children learning to sound things out, or learning to speak, because there are only a few short sentences per page. It's a very calming story, too, so it works well for naptime. Because it features a birthday at the end, it's also a good gift for a one or two year old child. Because it was printed in Britain some of the usages are odd to American ears, but nothing confusing - shop where we'd use store, that sort of thing. It's broadening to the ...more
Michelle
Literary Device: Alliteration. Five sheep shop for a birthday present and then realize that they don’t have any money to pay for their items. Author uses alliteration and rhyming to create a fun read-aloud.

Shaw's sheep stories are simply silly and loads of FUN! Kids love them!! I just read "Sheep in a Jeep" to a pre-K class yesterday and they were completely enthralled with both the text and the pictures.

An added bonus with "Sheep in a Shop" is the discussion one can have about trading and barte
Aleya Peters
Dec 03, 2013 Aleya Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of rhyming words and would be a wonderful book to work with children who are learning or have yet to learn rhyming. The rhythm of the book is very song-like which makes reading aloud much more entertaining. The illustrations in this book are hilarious. The words are so simple but with the illustrations the reader cannot help but laugh out loud. This book is part of a series of Sheep books.
Taylor
Apr 26, 2007 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book models excellent giving behavior. The sheep tear the shop apart (because these sheep are hell bent for destruction), but when they are short money to buy a friend's birthday present their creative and generous solution is to shear (share) their wool to pay for the present. AND it's a blast to read -- lots of good word combinations. Margot Apple's pictures are lovely. Arthur loves the Sheep Books.
Kelley
"Sheep in a Shop" is an adorable book for young children. It has colorful illustrations is so much fun to read aloud! All of the words rhyme, which makes it appealing and easy to read pre-k and Kindergarten students. The sheep want to find a birthday present and they run into a problem at the shop! Definitely recommend this book for young children!!
Katrina Kim
Mar 08, 2013 Katrina Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ece-3601, rhyming
* Cute and simple to read
* Introduces rhyming
Discuss the conflict and solution
Conflict: sheep makes a mess in the store and the sheep must find a way to pay for all the gifts.

Illustrations are correlated with the story and vocab. -> Great for ELL.
Samantha
The sheep are shopping for a birthday gift but they don't quite have the budget to cover all their finds. Luckily they can spare some wool and make a trade for three bags full!

I LOVE sheep books and publishers often don't disappoint when it comes to this subject.
Karissa
I decided to read this after reading Sheep in a Jeep and doing a science lesson around force and motion. You could use this book to introduce the concept of trade and barter in social studies. The rhyming and alliteration make it a fun read though!
Emma Daugherty
This book would be perfect for young readers because of the easy rhyming words. The pictures are detailed and fun to look at. Children could also count the sheep on each page or count the items that they purchase at the end. This would be a great book for beginning readers and is short and sweet.
Library Lady Terri
I used this book in my March 12 $mart Money for Kids program. The kids learned about bartering when you don't have enough money for what you need/want.

Elizabeth
As all the sheep books are this is a great rhyming book to work on ending rhymes. The repetition of the rhymes gives students ample opportunities to practice making the rhymes, and can help students pronounce unfamiliar words by following the pattern of the rhymes.
Katharyn
Zack, I bought this for you as a present. I had been in NY visiting Grandma 303 and we wanted to bring back books and toys that you might like. She brought you someone you know as Winnie the Pooh, and I brought you this book. I loved reading it to you.

Jeep for sale- cheap!
Valenza Whitaker
Nancy Shaw is a great author. I really enjoy her books. "Sheep in a Shop", was a great and funny book. And again the sheep is on a mission and they go to the shop and make a mess out of things, in a sheepest way. Love this book.
Esther
Sep 27, 2011 Esther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another audio book that we can listen to repeatedly and not drive the Momma insane. Sheep in a Jeep is still my favorite but A prefers this one and it is well done with the music, sound effects and the reading.
Amanda Funnell
Rhyming
This book was alright, but many of the rhyming words were longer and had more complicated rhyming patterns, such as different spellings but the same sound (e-NOUGH & st-UFF), which could be quite confusing for young students.
Lora
Not exactly a literary masterpiece, but a useful book for introducing basic economic principles to elementary-age kids... wants vs. needs, trading/bartering, goods vs. services, etc.
Alicia
Jul 10, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Honestly, when I first read this book I didn't like it at all. It seemed stupid. Now I enjoy the sing song style of the book. It is fun to read.
Tricia
Sheep descend on a teahouse...a dainty venue unprepared for their "sheepness". Same formula as other sheep books by this author--lots of rhymes, messy situation and fun.
Betsy
another installment of those darn sheep.
this one is another funny one.
if you like the series by ms. shaw you will not be disappointed with
this one as well.
Jamie
Jan 08, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Early readers
Shelves: child
One of our son's bedtime favorite. Read almost nightly multiple times that we have it memorized, he asks for it by name and quotes his favorite parts.
Heather Ledet
Although money is a minor element, this book can still be used for the concepts of money. Why did the sheep need money? What happened when they traded?
  • Hunches in Bunches