Start by marking “Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent” as Want to Read:
Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent

Fearless: One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Freya Hoffmeister takes on sharks, crocs, and huge surf in the most audacious paddle adventure of the century.
Published January 24th 2012 by FalconGuides

To ask other readers questions about Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless

Bernadette Calonego
May 26, 2013 Bernadette Calonego rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
I devoured this book. There are not enough good published stories of modern women who are truly adventurous - at least not for me. But this is a great one! The German business woman Freya Hoffmeister (among other accomplishments) circumnavigated the entire continent of Australia in her kayak, an incredibly dangerous trip. One has to admire this woman for her courage and mental strenght. Although author Joe Glickman painted a at times critical portrait of Freya, her flaws only make her a more int ...more
Rob Mousley
Mar 16, 2012 Rob Mousley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paddlers, women, anyone interested in adventure
Joe Glickman is well known in the kayaking world for his highly entertaining style of writing and he doesn't disappoint in this, his book about Freya Hoffmeister's extraordinary paddle around Australia.

Humorous and insightful by turns, Glickman describes how Hoffmeister took on the challenges of sharks, salt water crocodiles, sea snakes and, most of all, some of the most savage weather conditions to be found on the planet. Apart from the 375 mile direct route that she took across the Gulf of Car
Helen
Apr 07, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: paddlers, women, adventurers
If you are looking to read about a woman’s spiritual transformation as she journeys solo around a continent almost as large as her ego, then this book is not for you. It is not an Eat Pray Love-athon, but more so, a true story about a woman who decided what she wanted to do, connected all the dots to do so, and then set out and proved to many nay-sayers that she could do it. And so she did.

As a paddler, I knew something about Freya’s trip through articles by Joe Glickman, and from occasionally r
Julie
May 16, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. As far as real-life adventures go, it's a great read. My only hangup is how unlikeable Freya Hoffmeister is as a person. You don't quite get the full picture of how truly difficult her journey was, because it's written in third person and she refused to talk in detail about the hardships she faced. None of this is the author's fault, and it is very well-written for what he had to work with.

If Freya hadn't been so stubborn and arrogant, she probably wou
Joe Glickman
Nov 05, 2012 Joe Glickman rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The Banff Mountain Book Competition just announced the finalists for the 2012 competition and I’m happy to say that Fearless by Joe Glickman made the list for the adventure travel category! We are up against 4 other titles in the category. The winners will be announced on November 1 at the Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival. There will be a $1,000 winner in each category and a $2,000 grand prize winner for best book of the year!

Laurel
Apr 19, 2014 Laurel rated it really liked it
Not a book I would have picked on my own, but my adventure loving daughter enjoyed this book so I read it too. I didn't much care for Freya at first, but I have a lot of respect for her abilities, and enjoyed the author's way of telling the story.
David Barnes
Mar 27, 2012 David Barnes rated it it was amazing
As a sea kayaker I was anticipating the release of Fearless in paperback. I am a sea kayaker and write about the topic. Though the art of marathon endurance paddling I leave to others, and happy to sit back and read vicariously. Freya Hoffmeister give us a glimpse of what it takes to endure, overcome and master that art.
My review of Joe Glickman's book, Fearless, about Hoffmeister's attempt to circumnavigate Australia is on my kayak blog and I invite you to stop by and read it.
Gisela
Oct 07, 2014 Gisela rated it liked it
The achievement documented in this book is truly impressive and the woman involved is clearly a force of nature but I found this book a bit of a slog to read. I'm not sure if this is because of the author's competent but rather pedestrian writing style (I'd have to read his other books to judge this properly) or if it is because of his ambivalence about the woman he was writing about.

The book is a competent and apparently thorough and accurate account of Freya's solo circumnavigation of Australi
Jean
Jul 14, 2012 Jean rated it really liked it
Inspiring story of one woman's determination to kayak around Australia, only the second person ever to do so. Her unshakeable confidence is something else!
Elizabeth
Apr 07, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought I would be fascinated by a kayaking story? But I was! I couldn't put it down.
Aaron
Jan 15, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I read Freya's blog since day 1 of her Australian circumnavigation! Can't wait to have a hard copy!
Celeste De Bease
Feb 20, 2012 Celeste De Bease rated it really liked it
Joe offers interesting insights into this most unusual athlete and adventurer.
Lorra Fae
Apr 12, 2015 Lorra Fae rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about this unrelenting, positive, yet hard woman - her tenacity is inspiring. I wish she'd written it herself but I guess that's what her blog is for.

The writing in this book is good...however, the incessant pop culture similes drove me INSANE - I was constantly cringing/rolling my eyes at them. Otherwise it was pretty good. I was a bit shocked where it said Perth was the capital of Australia though...like...what? I am hoping it was just a really dumb editing error an
Kristy McCaffrey
Aug 08, 2013 Kristy McCaffrey rated it it was amazing
In Fearless, Joe Glickman writes about Freya Hoffmeister, the first woman to circumnavigate the entire continent of Australia in a sea kayak. The feat, which she accomplishes in just less than a year, puts her in a league that few other adventurers, male or female, occupy. That alone makes this book worth reading, whether you're a kayaker or not (which I'm not). What's truly fascinating is Hoffmeister herself, a 40-something German with an incredible ability to focus on a task at hand. She ignor ...more
Lee
Feb 19, 2012 Lee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow sea kayakers
I'd heard of Freya Hoffmeister before she set out to circumnavigate Australia in a stock kayak, and gathered she is rather self-possessed. Joe Glickman's account certainly bears that out.

He grudgingly acknowledges that despite, or perhaps because of, her pigheadedness, she accomplishes at least two of her three primary goals: to complete the circumnavigation, and to do it faster than Paul Caffyn, a Kiwi who went round Australia in a kayak 27 years before her. Glickman seems a bit fixated on her
Iris
Jul 20, 2012 Iris rated it it was amazing
Fearless is an account/analysis of Freya Hoffmeister's circumnavigation of the Australian continent in a sea kayak. Joe Glickman not only details Freya's journey, but the psychological background of the woman who achieved this feat.

As an accomplished kayaker, Glickman compares his own experiences kayaking to Freya's as she seems unafraid & indifferent to danger. This "fearless" characteristic fueled his interest in her as a story to be reported since he wonders how his life/ kayaking experie
Molly
May 27, 2013 Molly rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-fire
I have to admit, from the picture Glickman painted of Freya, I kind of liked her: she's brash, confident, aware of her attractiveness and body. She's strong and she's brave. And right now, she's in the middle of doing South America in 24 months.

Descriptions of Freya from the book:

- combination of jock and siren
- she was more an object of curiosity than desire.
- this big, tough, German sheila, who lacked humility and a sense of humor
- And it didn’t hurt that the stubborn sheila did it dressed all
Jan
Feb 24, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it
Freya Hoffmeister is an accomplished, athletic, woman in her mid forties who sets three goals for herself: Be the first woman to circumnavigate Australia in a Kayak, do it faster than Paul Caffyn, a man who accomplished the trip 27 years before her, and to be known as the sexiest woman in Kayaking. It is a journey that would take her almost a year and pit her against nature and the nay saying of most of the experts in the world of Kayaking.

Freya is a woman who would rub most of us the wrong way.
Darcie Coleman
May 02, 2016 Darcie Coleman rated it really liked it
Biography of a female ocean rower. Wow...she's crazy. Fascinating but crazy
Melody
Dec 28, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it
From an armchair adventure standpoint, this book was very enjoyable indeed. I found Freya's personality very interesting, if not warm and fuzzy. I thought Glickman did a good job of describing the journey, but I was left with a sense of wanting more. I don't think I could have gotten it from this trip with this paddler, though. She's not the admire the scenery type, not at all. Which is probably why she was able to finish this epic, difficult journey. 3.5
Sharry Miller
Apr 15, 2013 Sharry Miller rated it really liked it
While you won't likely want to offer to be Freya Hoffmeister's best friend, you will be amazed by this German woman's strength, perseverance, stubbornness, guts, and, and.... Glickman dug deep to present a well-rounded story of the first (and only) woman to circumnavigate Australia in a kayak, alone and primarily unsupported. Huge waves, sharks, salt-water crocodiles, and a week in open water sleeping on the deck of her kayak - this story has it all. Glickman's portrayal will have you asking, "J ...more
Cathy Scholtens
Apr 06, 2012 Cathy Scholtens rated it it was ok
It isn't that the book wasn't well written, it is. As a matter of fact, the only reason I FINISHED the book was because of the writing. The subject of the book is a self-centered, bitchy, egotistical kayaker. She is awful to almost everyone she deals with, and considers herself some kind of Kayak Goddess. Is she beautiful, yes. Is her personality awful, yes! Not awful enough to "love to hate her", just awful enough to just hate her. Reading about her solitary journey held no deep spiritual or ex ...more
Cate
Aug 19, 2014 Cate rated it liked it
2.75
Kenno82
Mar 04, 2012 Kenno82 rated it liked it
Himself an experienced paddler, Glickman elevates this book from a dry day by day description of Freya's kayak around Australia to a more in-depth character study... and Freya makes an interesting subject. Unfortunately, as it's not a firsthand account of the circumnavigation, there is little information on the characters she met along the way. I plan to read Paul Caffyn's self-published book detailing his own circumnavigation. The comparison will be interesting.
Lisa Reitz
Aug 11, 2015 Lisa Reitz rated it it was amazing
Loved Glickman's writing style which so perfectly matched Freya's trip around Australia by kayak. A great mix of humor, history, fact, and adventure. Inspiring, crazy, humbling.
Stephanie
May 11, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Excellent! A bit tedious at first with the author somewhat in love with his version of prose. Eventually I got into the story and used to Glickman's writing style. What an amazing accomplishment by Freya, I cannot even comprehend the enormity. I know that I feel small and unstable in a river in my 10.5 foot kayak, so kudos to her, all the way around Australia. This chick has cojones.
Cynthia
Jan 14, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
A very interesting read. Although I didn't care much for the narcissistic protaganist, I could help get caught up in the excitement of her journey around Australia by kayak. Saltwater Crocodiles, Sea snakes, great white sharks -- an amazing journey.
Sandy Kozurek
Sep 26, 2013 Sandy Kozurek rated it really liked it
Shelves: eco-nature
Just a recreational kayaker here, I found this a great fast read as well as a more thoughtful character study - Glickman was really tryng to figure this frau out.
Vizma
Feb 12, 2012 Vizma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographical, nature
Well written-I followed the very last part of Freya's trip on her blog-good to get the perspective of someone who knows her!
Olwen
Jun 18, 2013 Olwen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
What an incredible journey. What an incredible woman. I am in awe of her resilience, drive and discipline.
  • Be Brave, Be Strong: A Journey Across the Great Divide
  • Flying Off Everest: A Journey from the Summit to the Sea
  • On the Water: A Fishing Memoir
  • A Journey North: One Woman's Story of Hiking the Appalachian Trail
  • Learning to Fly: An Uncommon Memoir of Human Flight, Unexpected Love, and One Amazing Dog
  • The Spine of the Continent: The Most Ambitious Wildlife Conservation Project Ever Undertaken
  • Paddling North
  • A Walk for Sunshine: A 2,160 Mile Expedition for Charity on the Appalachian Trail
  • Higher Love: Skiing the Seven Summits
  • In Beauty May She Walk: Hiking the Appalachian Trail at 60
  • A Mile in Her Boots: Women Who Work in the Wild
  • Last Stand: Ted Turner's Quest to Save a Troubled Planet
  • Listen Out Loud: A Life in Music--Managing McCartney, Madonna, and Michael Jackson
  • I Promise Not to Suffer: A Fool for Love Hikes the Pacific Crest Trail
  • No Buddy Left Behind: Bringing U.S. Troops' Dogs and Cats Safely Home from the Combat Zone
  • Freezing People Is (Not) Easy: My Adventures in Cryonics