Start by marking “Not the Last Goodbye: On Life, Death, Healing, and Cancer” as Want to Read:
Not the Last Goodbye: On Life, Death, Healing, and Cancer

Not the Last Goodbye: On Life, Death, Healing, and Cancer

At the start of this intimate and moving memoir, Dr. David Servan- Schreiber is returning by bicycle to his Paris home from an unsettling appointment. Following several months of fatigue and fainting spells, he had scheduled an emergency MRI. The results confirm his worst fears: the return of the cancer that he was first diagnosed with nineteen years earlier.Fully aware of ...more
Published November 17th 2011 by Viking (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Not the Last Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not the Last Goodbye

Karissa
Apr 10, 2012 Karissa rated it it was amazing
I first discovered Dr. Servan-Schreiber when I was diagnosed with brain cancer two years ago. "Anticancer: A New Way of Life" caused a great overhaul in my life, particularly diet and stress management. He opened my eyes to the powerful relationship between our minds and our bodies. Like him, I was given a 6 year survival prognosis. At first, I blindly accepted this as fate. Thanks to Dr. Servan-Schreiber, I now clearly see that a prognosis is merely a guesstimate and that our lifestyle is a ...more
David
May 28, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Poignant piece by a French physician dying of brain cancer. He'd been in remission for many years, all the while writing about and promoting nutrition, meditation, yoga, etc. as alternative/complementary interventions for cancer survivors, and then relapsed. Since he's about my age, and I've been in remission from cancer for many years, and it's Memorial Day, and I've been thinking about a number of friends who have passed away, this may not have been the best choice for my holiday reading. What ...more
Eric Paradis
May 28, 2016 Eric Paradis rated it really liked it
C'est le billet de David Servan-Schreiber (auteur d'AntiCancer et Guérir) qui a survécu 19 ans après une tumeur au cerveau et qui résume ses états d'esprit quelques mois avant de mourir aux prises avec une rechute. Au final, il n'a aucun regret, sauf celui d'avoir peut-être négligé de suivre certaines consignes qu'il a lui-même données dans ses ouvrages précédents. Bien manger, faire de l'exercice oui, mais il faut aussi consacrer une portion de son existence à prendre la pause avec soi-même et ...more
Julie lit pour les autres
Je vais prendre un *break* sur les témoignages de médecins atteints du cancer après celui-ci, c'est promis. (Parce qu'après Kalanithi et Servan-Schreiber, j'ai besoin de me remettre de mes émotions.) Je voulais principalement comparer les témoignages de ces deux médecins excessivement doués pour l'écrit et la réflexion, qui se voient arriver aux portes de la mort et qui décident d'écrire à ce sujet.

Quel beau titre! Le texte de Servan-Schreiber est un peu comme une dernière conférence, une derni
Clare Collard
Jul 21, 2012 Clare Collard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cancer patients and survivors, people with a terminal illness and their loved ones
Moved to tears by the description of David's battle with cancer. He teaches that it is possible to overcome cancer with therapies if you maintain a healthy stress free lifestyle. Right to the end of the book completed eight weeks before his death he is teaching valuable lessons about cancer, life and death. The last challenge he set himself was to die well and so he did, while encouraging others to do the same. A must read for anyone with cancer.
Marilyn
Sep 14, 2016 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anti-Cancer Doctor David Servan-Schreiber pays it forward with his last publishing installment ‘Not the Last Goodbye: On Life, Death, Healing, and Cancer.’

His message written months before his death from brain cancer at age 50 is a reminder that every life’s journey ends in death; be at peace with yourself and accept your mortality.

The author encourages each of us to strive for optimism and look for pleasure and joy in your daily life; cultivate feelings of gratitude, medicate and don’t forget t
Stewart
Dec 17, 2014 Stewart rated it liked it
Not the Last Goodbye is a very short but emotionally-packed book. It was written by the author of the Best-Seller 'Anti-Cancer' (a book which I haven't read. I also wasn't aware of this when I started reading it). From what I understand, Anti-Cancer was a diet/self-help book that essentially taught a diet based on scientific evidence that can help prevent cancer increase the longevity of cancer patients. I may be completely wrong about that premise but that is the gist as I understand it. Not ...more
Христо Блажев
“Можем да се сбогуваме повече от веднъж”, казва д-р Давид Серван-Шрайбер

Д-р Давид Серван-Шрайбер е един от най-известните автори в областта на антираковите терапии. Неговата книга “Антирак” е продадена в милионни тиражи, у нас също е много търсена, макар нуждата от такива заглавия да не е никак радостна. Интересна е историята на самия Давид, който близо 20 години прекарва в битка с рака, следвайки своите собствени съвети, освен един – да живее спокойно. Вм
Cath Van
Jul 14, 2012 Cath Van rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
How do we want to live and how do we prepare for dying? These are the questions at the heart of Not The Last Goodbye: On Life, Healing, and Cancer by the author of Anticancer dr David Servan-Schreiber. In short personal essays Servan-Schreiber writes what happens when - after a remission of nineteen years - the braintumor he suffered, returns. In his renowned book Anticancer he advocated lifestyle measures which could help prevent cancer from (re)occuring. 'Was I wrong' and/or 'What did I do ...more
María Greene
Aug 12, 2016 María Greene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobio
Un libro tan corto y tan dulce, y eso que habla de la muerte. El tempo que hay, con el que narra, es casi musical... Suave, sereno, sabio, nostálgico, pero a la vez tan firme y, por qué no decirlo, optimista.

El doctor poderoso y famoso se despide de la vida con tanto amor, y también lleno de pequeñas confidencias, que espera que ayuden al futuro de la medicina... Promueve ideas que a mí me encantan, como la de una medicina integral, holística.

Es una delicia de libro. Luego de leerlo uno sabe qu
Evan
Jan 27, 2014 Evan rated it really liked it
Servan-Schrieber's memoir reads like a heartfelt letter from an old friend - and many who are familiar with his life's work, Anti-Cancer, probably think of his books and videos (on YouTube!) as the work of a friend. Servan-Schreiber's battle with brain cancer took 20 years, and although he finally lost, he is frank in confronting the disease: he stopped living the lifestyle he recommended, as the rat race of promoting his books took its toll.

Most people who read this book will do so because they
Marcela
Apr 25, 2012 Marcela rated it liked it
An excellent book for anybody going through cancer and those that take care of them. There are things that are very helpful in this book such as making the reader aware that there are things that we can easily do such as giving and providing support to the cancer patient and it can be something as simple as making him/her company or watching a moving together. It may not seem like much to us, but for what the author, David, wrote this brought him comfort while going through a difficult time.
Laine Bergeson
Jan 02, 2013 Laine Bergeson rated it really liked it
The neuroscientist and psychiatrist who helped revolutionize the way we think about cancer and lifestyle, Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD, completed this book just eight weeks before dying of brain cancer. You can feel his illness (the tumor had invaded his motor cortex causing paralysis on the entire left side of his body) and proximity to death in every sentence. The book is heavy yet hopeful, spare yet insightful, sad yet beautiful. I recommend it to anyone who will die one day.
Cristina
Apr 28, 2013 Cristina rated it it was ok
Margaret
Feb 07, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People with an interest in cancer or Integrative Medicine
Recommended to Margaret by: Saw it at the library
This short book was written by a Doctor who was dying of a brain tumor. It had come back after being in remission for 19 years (!). He had been a strong believer in Integrative Medicine and had written a previous book: "Anticancer, A New Way of Life". Obviously something worked if his cancer was in remission for 19 years before returning. As my late husband died from a brain tumor, I am always interested in seeing how other people have dealt with the same illness.
Chris
Dec 28, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely deep and thought-provoking book. This is a fairly quick read because of the length, but it is very deep and thoughtful. I enjoyed the speaker on the audiobook version, who accentuated the text through his delivery. This book is full of strength, peace, and courage. Thank you, David, for writing this book for all of us.
Vicki
Jan 17, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cancer
As someone who has what is considered to be incurable cancer, but has lived with it for 4 years and counting, this book is exceptionally poignant. However the truth of what he writes conveys the bitter sweetness of living life with the knowledge that you may not have as long to live as you would expect. Parts of it made me cry because it expresses so much of what I feel.
Marcelle Nadeau
Sep 25, 2011 Marcelle Nadeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lu
J'ai reçu son livre en juin 2011. Il avait fini de l'écrire en mai 2011. C'était son testament. J'avais l'impression de lui tenir la main. Et pendant que je faisais la lecture, David Servan-Schreiber s'est éteint le 24 juillet 2011. Sa biographie est complète. Ses livres sont lus. Ma vie est changé.
Andrew Tolve
Jun 30, 2012 Andrew Tolve rated it liked it
A beautiful look at life, death, living, and dying from the champion of anti-cancer, who discovers that his cancer, long in remission, has returned with sure fatal consequences. David was a family friend, which made this all the more poignant to read. Highly recommended to anyone who is struggling with cancer or who likes to shine a peaceful light on his or her own mortality.
Esly Regina Carvalho
May 10, 2014 Esly Regina Carvalho rated it it was amazing
I read this a few weeks after the author passed away which made it especially poignant reading. He is concise, clear and reflective upon his life and his work. I might read it again, especially since I heard him a few times in public and he was a warm, funny and caring human being.
Allyson
Feb 23, 2016 Allyson rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
A poignant memoir about love and loss and how both were driven by cancer. I loved that this book is part memoir, part medical journal with the author's professional background serving as an excellent source of information while at the same time is diagnosis threw it all out the window.
Jean Vaughn
Mar 14, 2012 Jean Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Definitely not the book for everyone. If you are at the point in your life where you know you have to start treating each day and moment as precious and walk side by side with the reality of our eventual demise then this book is a great comfort.
Anne
Aug 05, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
The author is facing death as he has embraced life: fully and without fear. This is like the little manual on how to live better to die better. Very inspiring, brave and honest, and loving. I feel we lost someone really important...will read "Anticancer".
Jules
Feb 18, 2013 Jules added it
David's story definitely encourages you to look at life and make the most of the good things. I was very sad to reach the end and see that David had lost his life to cancer but through is book he continues to show how to remain optimistic and deal with lifes challenges
Susan
May 30, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is an insightful look at facing one’s mortality after being given a terminal diagnosis. The author stresses the need for and importance hope, even as one is dying, as well as how to embrace the time left and to die with dignity.
Alain
Oct 16, 2013 Alain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
un livre court, témoignage et testament sur les derniers mois de l'auteur. Une attitude à la fois humble,lucide et sereine. Un message à la fois sensible, émouvant et juste ou justement humain. Une belle leçon de vie. Enrichissant
Valerie Perrault
Sep 02, 2012 Valerie Perrault rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup aimé ce petit livre. J'ai trouvé qu'il abordait de manière simple et touchante les grandes questions de la maladie, de la souffrance et de la mortalité. Un livre qui fait réfléchir...
Betsy
Mar 10, 2016 Betsy rated it it was amazing
A high impact, short read about the psychiatrist author of "Anticancer," and his relapse of brain cancer after 19 years cancer free. Inspiring and hope-filled.
Marie Bouteille
May 01, 2013 Marie Bouteille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je m'attendais à un livre beaucoup plus déprimant mais c'est finalement bien écrit et très touchant sans pathos. Un bon soutien et une compagnie si l'on a un cancer, je pense.
Odile
Oct 11, 2013 Odile rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ecrit 2 mois avant sa mort, livre tres tendre et triste d'un homme accompli, pas tout a fait pret mais se preparant quand meme.
  • One Renegade Cell: The Quest For The Origin Of Cancer
  • The Language of Life: DNA and the Revolution in Personalized Medicine
  • Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior
  • Christianity and Evolution
  • Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives
  • Descartes: The Life and Times of a Genius
  • Principles of Human Anatomy
  • Immortelle randonnée : Compostelle malgré moi
  • Le gone du Chaâba
  • Autobiography of Madame Guyon
  • What Happened at Vatican II
  • The Greatest Prayer: A Revolutionary Manifesto and Hymn of Hope
  • The Dalai Lama: A Policy of Kindness: An Anthology of Writings By and About the Dalai Lama
  • The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
  • A Life of Her Own: The Transformation of a Countrywoman in 20th-Century France
  • The Symbolism of Evil
David Servan-Schreiber (April 21, 1961 – July 24, 2011) was a French physician, neuroscientist and author. He was a clinical Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He was also a lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine of Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1.
More about David Servan-Schreiber...