Triple

Triple

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  5,587 ratings  ·  191 reviews
From Ken Follett—the #1 name in electrifying international suspense—comes a remarkable novel of intrigue and doomsday possibilities.

The world's balance of power is about to shift dangerously as the ultimate weapon nears completion in a secret facility in the heart of the desert. Across the globe, operatives from the great nations set a deadly game in motion, covertly maneu...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Harper (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Triple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triple

Mike
This is a fun, 'spy' based novel. Although the main character is a spy, he spends the majority of the book pulling off a mission. But there are two other spy characters that get involved, giving the book it's name (I think...).

Early in the book, the main character is tasked with stealing a huge amount of Uranium for Israel. However, Follett does an excellent job of presenting the story in a political free manner... somehow. If anything, he comes across as Israel neutral, which is quite the accom...more
Maria
Nathaniel Dickstein é o protagonista deste novo livro de Ken Follett publicado pela Presença. Original de 1979, Triplo, talvez devido aos três agentes duplos que trabalham para diferentes países, é um livro de espionagem, muito ao estilo de James Bond. E não falta a bond girl, uma mulher exótica e demasiado bela por quem o protagonista, como não podia deixar de ser, se vai apaixonar.

Opinião completa aqui: http://marcadordelivros.blogspot.pt/2...
Jerry Beller
Another great book by Ken Follett. This is a thriller that will keep you turning the pages. Looking forward to the next release, as I have now read all of his books that I can find.
Synnin
Perhaps my least favourite read of Ken Follett :S Perhaps, it wasn't just "my" topic afterall - shameful to admit I wasn't aware of the real background of the story, moreovere the whole idea of making the nuclear bomb and stealing the input for this operation didn't excite me as much as other Follett's plots.

I've read the first 50 pages and I still didn't understand what it was all about: an agent (working for whom?) meeting a professor (why?) at the airport, another double agent (working for wh...more
Tim
Al
This is one of Follett's early efforts and is very good....a British Jew who attended Oxford and then served in WWII before being captured and sent to a concentration camp is the main character. After the war he emigrates to Israel and becomes a topflight Mossad agent. His assignment in 1967 is to hijack a uranium shipment needed by Israel so that they can make their own nuclear weapons. This assignment brings him back into contact with several of his former student associates at Oxford prior to...more
Dian Iriska
The book is about the espionage triangle between Russia/Egypt in one corner and Israel and Palestinian in the other two corner. It was started slow when the author trying to establish the story between all parties....or maybe it was me not having enough attitude to remember all the details :-) But if you could have a little bit more patience, all are getting more exciting towards the end. The closure however, was quick and painless....too quick and too easy. All in all, there are parts in this b...more
Kelly
A little confusing at times and, as Follett will do, goes into so much technical detail. This story talks about the race to develop nuclear/atomic weapons sometime around the 1960's and 70's. A spy novel with three countries competing for ways to get plutonium, Russia, Arabs and maybe Palestine. (listened to the audio)
Josh
This was a pretty good spy novel/action thriller. The major players had personalities and motivations, the story flowed at a good pace and nothing seemed to contrived. The book is pretty light on plot twists, though there is one pretty big one. Otherwise it's a straightforward story without being too predictable.
Heather Tisdale
Awesome and really close to what really happened (something he didn't know at the time he wrote it).
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Per chi ha conosciuto Follett dopo il successo de "I pilastri della terra" e pian piano è andato a ritroso fino a risalire ai suoi primi romanzi, come questo "Triplo", probabilmente è rimasto sorpreso nello scoprire che l'autore prima scriveva tutt'altro: spionaggio.

Dunque o ne rimane ancor più allietato oppure comincerà a stroncare a destra e a manca; per me che ho conosciuto Follett proprio perchè scriveva libri di spionaggio o ambientati durante la seconda guerra mondiale è potuto essere solo...more
Pang
This was my first Ken Follett's book, and I really enjoyed it. I thought that he built up the story well, and it was not predictable (considering when he wrote the book.) I enjoyed this book more so than the Bourne trilogy.

The story is based on the actually news reported on 7 May 1977 by the London Daily Telegraph with the headline that read "ISRAEL SUSPECTED OF HIJACKING SHIP WITH URANIUM." Israel had just gotten out from the Six-Day War. One of its double agent found out that Egypt was working...more
Vinoth
Hmmm. a Espionage novel after quite sometime. This is not the best of Follet.its somewhere close to that.but what made this novel Interesting was the fact that this novel is based on the Alleged 'Disappearance' of 200 Tonnes of Uranium in 1968.Thanks to Israel , who required Uranium to produce Nuclear weapons.Though it was never proved, it still remains one of the best coup of the previous century.Ken Follet has made an attempt to take back the reader to the events as it could have unfolded with...more
Ricardo Serra
Conheci Ken Follett com os seus romances históricos, primeiro os Pilares de Terra (I, II), seguido de Um mundo sem fim (I, II). Fiquei fascinado com o autor, tendo autenticamente devorado estas obras. Toda a gente com quem falei sobre Follett me dizia que a sua "especialidade" eram os policiais. Apesar de não ser muito a minha "praia" decidi experimentar, pois estava curioso se a magia da narrativa de Follett me iria conseguir envolver novamente. E não me desiludi, bem pelo contrario. Entrando n...more
Kirty Vedula
A good espionage/action thriller! The plot is built to be momentous, yet never does it seem too contrived. Reading his first novel, I have observed that Ken Follett has this knack of finishing his paragraphs using very short sentences, and this makes the flow feel seamless and light - though not as many twists as you would expect in a spy thriller. In short, reading 'Triple' seemed like a good exercise before I get to read his very famous 'The Eye of the Needle'.
Katie
A little dry for my tastes - in fact, I am not sure I will be able to summarize it for you because it was pretty complex with lots of double agents and hidden motives. Overall though, it was about the Mossad (Israeli Intelligence) trying to steal a shipment of uranium in order to build a nuclear bomb so that they can defend themselves against other countries with nuclear bombs. Again, a little dry, but the actual theft at the end was pretty exciting, and I always enjoy his characterization!
Steve Schlutow
This was a great book. Triple was one of the best novels I have read of this genre. Follett is great story teller and character developer. The story is created around a possible actual theft of uranium heading to Egypt prior to the Yom Kippur War. The story delves into the politics of the time between Israel, Egypt, and Soviet Union--the history is great. This was really a great espionage story. I highly recommend it.
Dan Abubakar
I've heard a lot about Ken Follet but Triple was the first of his books I ever read and he immediately became one of my best authors. Definitely a great book, a quick read and one I'd recommend to anyone who loves thrillers with a touch of romance. It's so hard to believe this book was originally written in 1979. The espionage world has barely changed.
Elizabeth
Written in 1979, Triple was a story set in the world of Russian, Middle Eastern and Israeli espionage maneuvers that transport the readers into a world of danger . Ken Follett weaves a story of alliances and double cross as Nat Dickstein seeks to gain uranium for Israel. This book reads like a spy thriller of this time period. The characters and twists and turns requires the reader's attention to changing settings and details.
Chris Norbury
Quality work from Mr. Follett, but of course, you all know that, as does he. Craftsmanship all through the story, good plot, memorable characters, timely setting with a ticking clock adding tension to the entire story.

Pace is slow, almost deliberate, but the complicated plot and several subplots necessitate the deliberation. The last quarter of the story flies by as everything comes together with some great twists that lead to emotional and moral dilemmas for the two protagonists.

Always worth re...more
Haider Hussain
It always feels good to revert to the old-school, intricately fabricated counter-espionage fiction from time to time.

Triple is a typical Follett thriller. A sea bound cargo of 200 tons of uranium is about to be stolen, and the protagonist must do it clandestinely. Problem is, KGB appears to be one step ahead of him...
Basir Zaman
"The Palestinians will be like the Welsh...They can bomb Israel for a thousand years, but they will always be the losers."
so, no matter whether Israel bomb Palestine or the other way around the losses will be always to the Palestinians!
Geoffrey Fite
Fast paced and a great plot. Passage of time in the story is a bit glitchy and the characters are occasionally unbelievable (I thought the main character, Nat, was a bit half-baked), but a fun read nevertheless.
Klaas Roggeman
So mr. Follett, your main character is called Dickstein and you have him tailing someone in a gay bar in the Rue Dicks? Well well, I wonder what was on your mind...

It's a decent enough thriller by the way, but not one of your best.
Hana
It wasn't bad but the first half was very slow and the real action started after that so it felt boring and didn't capture me much. I was glad that it ended well.
Mark Perkiss
A bit dated, but a terrific suspenseful page-turner that combines spy intrigue and the Middle East crisis. Who wins? The Israelis, the Palestinians or the Russians?
Angela Nunes
o livro está muito bem escrito,o autor faz uma breve explanação do que levou á guerra entre Israel e Palestina,sobre os espiões egipcios,russos e judeus,fez também uma abordagem pormenorizada do uso do urânio e das fontes,daí o meu 3*,pois não gostei das politiquices...ruminou bastante no assunto,o que fez com o que este livro fosse lido por mim,muito na diagonal.
o outros que li,despertaram mais o interesse e li-os ávidamente.se calhar foi um livro lido na altura errada,há livros assim.
no entan...more
Valerie
This was a re-read for me. Follett's spy stories are a bit dated now, of course, but always a good story.
  • The Fist of God
  • Fear Is the Key
  • The Rhinemann Exchange
  • Night of the Fox
  • The Fifth Horseman
  • The Salzburg Connection
  • 27
  • The Unlikely Spy
  • Spy Sinker (Bernard Samson, #6)
  • Our Game
  • Floating City (Nicholas Linnear, #5)
  • The League of Night and Fog
Ken Follett burst onto the book world in 1978 with Eye of the Needle, a taut and original thriller with a memorable woman character in the central role. The book won the Edgar award and became an outstanding film.

He went on to write four more bestselling thrillers: Triple; The Key to Rebecca; The Man from St Petersburg; and Lie Down with Lions.

He also wrote On Wings of Eagles, the true story of ho...more
More about Ken Follett...
The Pillars of the Earth  (The Pillars of the Earth, #1) Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth, #2) Eye of the Needle Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2)

“He believed in Communism the way most people believed in God: he would not be greatly surprised or disappointed if he turned out to be wrong, and meanwhile it made little difference to the way he lived.” 3 likes
“Such talk makes you think of radiation like water in a pool: if it’s four feet high you’re safe, if it’s eight feet high you drown. But in fact radiation levels are much more like speed limits on the highway – thirty miles per hour is safer than eighty, but not as safe as twenty, and the only way to be completely safe is not to get in the car.” 1 likes