Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,247 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Cats first purred their way into human hearts thousands of years ago, and have been our treasured companions and soul mates ever since. Whether impish kittens, regal adult cats or serene seniors, it's impossible for us to remain indifferent to them--especially at 4 A.M. when the food bowl runs dry! So smile at their many "c'attitudes," and feed your feline passion by "purr ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Chicken Soup for the Soul

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
127th out of 1,027 books — 1,383 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Great "Cat" Books
148th out of 1,046 books — 602 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Mar 04, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
Hello everyone! I decided to help out and write this review for my mom. I’m Jupiter. I’m 10 years old. I am a very handsome orange tabby.

I suggest this book to every cat who has a slightly emotional mother. It will guarantee lots of petting. My mom always likes to pet me when she is sad, mad, upset, etc. She would read a story or two out of this book and then totally burst into tears, usually cuz some cat died. I feel bad for the cat who died, but it was the most glorious thing to hear my mom c
Melissa
Apr 24, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
I'm a cat person. I currently have two of my own and could only wish for more. So, on this streak of Chicken Soup books that I've been reading lately, it only seemed appropriate to read the Cat Lover's Soul book.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is filled with the normal short stories of the Chicken Soup series. They are broken down into different chapters titled, "On Love", "Celebrating the Bond", "A Furry RX", "Cat-Egorically Wonderful", "Cats as Teachers", "Farewell, My Love", "Rescue Me!
Dorothy Bandusky
Sep 01, 2015 Dorothy Bandusky rated it really liked it
This large collection of short stories will warm any cat lover's heart.

The short length of the stories makes for easy doses, once a day, twice a day, or all in one sitting if that's what you need. Sometimes amusing, sometimes hysterical, sometimes healing, sometimes bittersweet, sometimes nostalgic, but nearly always moving, this celebration of the feline is essential reading - as long as it doesn't prevent you from petting your king/queen of the universe.
McGuffy Morris
Dec 13, 2012 McGuffy Morris rated it it was amazing
This is a special collection of true stories, all centered on our feline friends and their undeniable "purrsonality".

Divided into sections, the stories vary in age of cat and the lesson or moral of each story. There is definitely something for every cat lover in this wonderful book. Each account is heartfelt and will leave you feeling good.

I the section on Love, Oscar the Garbage Can Kitty, lived in a garbage can. Then he ends up moving into the hearts and home of some kind people. I connected w
Octavia22
Oct 29, 2012 Octavia22 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: october
I found the book interesting. It's filled with touching stories that remind me of my cat who's a rascal. I think most people would like this book (Unless they don't like cats.).If you’re a fast reader like I am I’d suggest this book for a cool down. It doesn’t leave you hanging so you can read a story eat lunch and read the next story. I've read a lot of cat stories but this book defiantly has some of my favorites. In one of the stories a group of soldiers were in their hide out when a cat came ...more
Cheryl
Aug 28, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Hard to give a solid review of a Chicken Soup book, because it contains so many different things. I laughed, I cried, I snuggled my kitty. I learned about amazing things that cats have done and ways that they have brought joy and love to people who know them. My mother gave me this book for Christmas because she knew I would like it and I did -- good job mom. Kitty was pretty sure I should be spending my time loving her, playing with her, and attending to her every wish and whim instead of readi ...more
Krwpackfan
Jan 04, 2015 Krwpackfan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Many great stories!! A must read for all cat lovers!!
Kristin
Jun 24, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
I've never been shy about pledging my allegiance to dogs over cats, but I did find these cat stories in short doses to be of my liking. Having never owned a cat, I only know what I do about their nature from books like this and the stories I've heard from my cat-loving friends. These stories did a great deal to educate me, and while I don't see myself adopting one anytime soon, they showed me that cats can be just as loving, friendly, and heroic as dogs, though they make show these things in com ...more
Theodora R. R.
Feb 23, 2013 Theodora R. R. rated it it was amazing
This book was heart-warming, funny, and--at times--sad. It's full of stories about cats. Cats who have saved lives, cats who have made a difference in someone's life... there was even a cat who stayed with a troop of soldiers in Iraq until they returned to the United States (the story "Saving Private Hammer").

Any animal lover would enjoy this book. Trust me, if you like animals, you won't be disappointed with this book.
Tania
Jun 04, 2012 Tania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For Cat Lovers Soul!
Buku yang akan membuat anda menteskan airmata haru akan kesetian dan kasih sayang, tertawa bahagia bahkan terpingkal2 dengan perilaku kucing, bahkan tersenyum karena nasehat-nasehat yang diberikan.
Diceritakan dengan bahasa yang ringan, setiap pecinta kucing, bahkan semua orang akan mengerti bahwa hewan kecil ini juga bisa menunjukkan sikap setia seperti hewan lainnya.

You should have this book!!
Veronica Noechel
May 31, 2012 Veronica Noechel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is cheating, a bit, because I wrote the piece, "Romeo and Juliet", a story of two ferals, included in this book. I hope readers enjoy this true story of an extraordinary act of feline bravery and loyalty. The latter is a word seldom used when describing cat, but I think that we underestimate our cats' fierce fidelity when desperate situations arise.

Thanks for reading!
Maris Bennett
Apr 21, 2013 Maris Bennett rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming read which you will enjoy if you are a feline fanatic. These essays run the gamut from sad to hilarious, and everything in between. Some will make you angry. Many will leave you crying and remembering your own long-passed cats.
I would suggest this as a gift for the cat lovers in your lives, and keep a copy for your own collection.
Shannon Camarta
May 30, 2015 Shannon Camarta rated it really liked it
Great if you love cats :) I myself love cats and so naturally, I cried a lot while reading this book. Great real stories from real people! Made me just want to snuggle my kitty all day. This book really embraces the beauty of animals and I think a book like this deserves great recognition. Power to the animals!
Axel Corlobe
Feb 20, 2013 Axel Corlobe rated it really liked it
This book's main idea was cats have the same feelings as humans. When their owners are sad, they play around with them when they are happy they fill up with joy when their owners have fun with them. They are just like having another friend/family member that always want to have a good time all the time.
Erin Brady
Nov 10, 2012 Erin Brady rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly touching series of stories about the amazing exploits of the feline species. I identified so much with some of these stories, while others warmed my heart and made me look forward to the future years with my cats. I love the Chicken Soup For the Soul books!
Pamela S
Jun 05, 2013 Pamela S rated it it was amazing
This book is such a pleasure and heartwarming one to read. Some stories are just too amazing to believe that it's a true story; just reading it could instantly lift my mood. After reading this, i think i'm ready to welcome another litter of kittens to my mansion!
Michelle Tolliver
Mar 23, 2015 Michelle Tolliver rated it it was amazing
Guess this was my pet book reading weekend. Started on this right after I finished A Dog's Purpose. I was in tears several times reading the heart-touching.. no heart-wringing short stories, inspirational and loving recounts of pet cats and how they are still remembered from their loving family. This was the first book I listened to more than read, thanks to Amazon's free trial of unlimited. Not sure if I'll take advantage of that very often, but I was able to 'read' while folding towels and mat ...more
Carla
Jul 13, 2010 Carla rated it it was amazing
This was an awesome book; I recommend it to every cat lover!
Zoe Obstkuchen
Jun 18, 2015 Zoe Obstkuchen rated it liked it
Like most cat lovers I enjoy stories about them, but books like this are best dipped into occasionally to avoid getting heartwarming story fatigue. But as the book was borrowed I had to read rather than dip, and I did get a little tired possibly due to the cultural differences - this book is very American, although I particularly liked a comment from a Russian immigrant who was baffled why Americans paid for kittens in a pet shop yet the pet shelters were overflowing with the same pets.
M. Maria
Nov 27, 2015 M. Maria rated it it was amazing
This is a feel good book! Inspirational and heart touching. If you are a cat lover you will love reading each story. I found myself closing the book and holding it to my heart after some of the more emotional tales. Losing a friend is never easy, but these furry princesses and princes bring so much joy to our life- this book reminds you of that joy at each turn.
Johnny
Nov 02, 2015 Johnny rated it really liked it
It was a short book, but it was entertaining. The stories were different from one another. My favorite one was about a cat that warned their owners that there was a gas leak and saved their lives. I would suggest reading this if you like cats.
Carrie Day snelgrove
Awesome stories

This book grabs your attention from the first story to the last. I love reading cat stories. These creatures are smarter than we give them credit for. I plan on getting more Chicken Soup for the kitty lover's soul.
Fadillah
Apr 04, 2016 Fadillah rated it it was amazing
Book and cats? for me, it is perfect combination. I enjoyed the stories and even cried a little bit whenever The fluff balls in the story didn't make it. A truly light reading that soothe my heart and cheer me up. I'm giving it 5 stars. ;)
Tammy
Nov 17, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, animal-stories
Collection of touching stories about cats and their people. Some will make you laugh while others may make you cry, but all will seem familiar to anyone who has loved several cats in their life.
Victoria Wilson
Mar 29, 2015 Victoria Wilson rated it liked it
This was a sweet little book of heart-warming stories about how cats, often strays and rescues, enhanced the lives of their humans.
SouthWestZippy
Jan 19, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing
Great book for a cat lover. Some sad, some uplifting and some happy ending stories.
Carmen
Apr 18, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
Full if poignant stories about the loving and healing of a cat.
Maria Lopez-Shetler
Apr 28, 2015 Maria Lopez-Shetler rated it it was amazing
After my cat passed away, I found closure with this book.
Meganeko Hime
Aug 12, 2014 Meganeko Hime rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I love cats and this compilation of stories. I smiled, cried, and got touched by these precious memories.
Helen Brumfield
Jun 02, 2014 Helen Brumfield rated it it was amazing
You will cry!
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis Silvestris Catus
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • Kill the Possum
  • An Angel With Fur
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Catwatching: The Essential Guide To Cat Behaviour
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...