Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  981 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Cats first purred their way into human hearts thousands of years ago, and have been our treasured companions and soul mates ever since. Whether impish kittens, regal adult cats or serene seniors, it's impossible for us to remain indifferent to them--especially at 4 A.M. when the food bowl runs dry! So smile at their many "c'attitudes," and feed your feline passion by "purr ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Chicken Soup for the Soul

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books About Animals
119th out of 806 books — 1,197 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Great "Cat" Books
165th out of 880 books — 421 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
Hello everyone! I decided to help out and write this review for my mom. I’m Jupiter. I’m 10 years old. I am a very handsome orange tabby.

I suggest this book to every cat who has a slightly emotional mother. It will guarantee lots of petting. My mom always likes to pet me when she is sad, mad, upset, etc. She would read a story or two out of this book and then totally burst into tears, usually cuz some cat died. I feel bad for the cat who died, but it was the most glorious thing to hear my mom c
Melissa
I'm a cat person. I currently have two of my own and could only wish for more. So, on this streak of Chicken Soup books that I've been reading lately, it only seemed appropriate to read the Cat Lover's Soul book.

Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul is filled with the normal short stories of the Chicken Soup series. They are broken down into different chapters titled, "On Love", "Celebrating the Bond", "A Furry RX", "Cat-Egorically Wonderful", "Cats as Teachers", "Farewell, My Love", "Rescue Me!
McGuffy Morris
This is a special collection of true stories, all centered on our feline friends and their undeniable "purrsonality".

Divided into sections, the stories vary in age of cat and the lesson or moral of each story. There is definitely something for every cat lover in this wonderful book. Each account is heartfelt and will leave you feeling good.

I the section on Love, Oscar the Garbage Can Kitty, lived in a garbage can. Then he ends up moving into the hearts and home of some kind people. I connected w
Octavia22
I found the book interesting. It's filled with touching stories that remind me of my cat who's a rascal. I think most people would like this book (Unless they don't like cats.).If you’re a fast reader like I am I’d suggest this book for a cool down. It doesn’t leave you hanging so you can read a story eat lunch and read the next story. I've read a lot of cat stories but this book defiantly has some of my favorites. In one of the stories a group of soldiers were in their hide out when a cat came ...more
Cheryl
Hard to give a solid review of a Chicken Soup book, because it contains so many different things. I laughed, I cried, I snuggled my kitty. I learned about amazing things that cats have done and ways that they have brought joy and love to people who know them. My mother gave me this book for Christmas because she knew I would like it and I did -- good job mom. Kitty was pretty sure I should be spending my time loving her, playing with her, and attending to her every wish and whim instead of readi ...more
Kristin
I've never been shy about pledging my allegiance to dogs over cats, but I did find these cat stories in short doses to be of my liking. Having never owned a cat, I only know what I do about their nature from books like this and the stories I've heard from my cat-loving friends. These stories did a great deal to educate me, and while I don't see myself adopting one anytime soon, they showed me that cats can be just as loving, friendly, and heroic as dogs, though they make show these things in com ...more
Theodora R. R.
This book was heart-warming, funny, and--at times--sad. It's full of stories about cats. Cats who have saved lives, cats who have made a difference in someone's life... there was even a cat who stayed with a troop of soldiers in Iraq until they returned to the United States (the story "Saving Private Hammer").

Any animal lover would enjoy this book. Trust me, if you like animals, you won't be disappointed with this book.
Tania
For Cat Lovers Soul!
Buku yang akan membuat anda menteskan airmata haru akan kesetian dan kasih sayang, tertawa bahagia bahkan terpingkal2 dengan perilaku kucing, bahkan tersenyum karena nasehat-nasehat yang diberikan.
Diceritakan dengan bahasa yang ringan, setiap pecinta kucing, bahkan semua orang akan mengerti bahwa hewan kecil ini juga bisa menunjukkan sikap setia seperti hewan lainnya.

You should have this book!!
Veronica Noechel
This is cheating, a bit, because I wrote the piece, "Romeo and Juliet", a story of two ferals, included in this book. I hope readers enjoy this true story of an extraordinary act of feline bravery and loyalty. The latter is a word seldom used when describing cat, but I think that we underestimate our cats' fierce fidelity when desperate situations arise.

Thanks for reading!
Maris Bennett
A heartwarming read which you will enjoy if you are a feline fanatic. These essays run the gamut from sad to hilarious, and everything in between. Some will make you angry. Many will leave you crying and remembering your own long-passed cats.
I would suggest this as a gift for the cat lovers in your lives, and keep a copy for your own collection.
Shannon Camarta
Great if you love cats :) I myself love cats and so naturally, I cried a lot while reading this book. Great real stories from real people! Made me just want to snuggle my kitty all day. This book really embraces the beauty of animals and I think a book like this deserves great recognition. Power to the animals!
Axel Corlobe
This book's main idea was cats have the same feelings as humans. When their owners are sad, they play around with them when they are happy they fill up with joy when their owners have fun with them. They are just like having another friend/family member that always want to have a good time all the time.
Erin Brady
This is an incredibly touching series of stories about the amazing exploits of the feline species. I identified so much with some of these stories, while others warmed my heart and made me look forward to the future years with my cats. I love the Chicken Soup For the Soul books!
Pamela S
This book is such a pleasure and heartwarming one to read. Some stories are just too amazing to believe that it's a true story; just reading it could instantly lift my mood. After reading this, i think i'm ready to welcome another litter of kittens to my mansion!
Carla
This was an awesome book; I recommend it to every cat lover!
Tammy
Collection of touching stories about cats and their people. Some will make you laugh while others may make you cry, but all will seem familiar to anyone who has loved several cats in their life.
Carmen
Full if poignant stories about the loving and healing of a cat.
Meganeko Hime
I love cats and this compilation of stories. I smiled, cried, and got touched by these precious memories.
Audrey
A friend loaned me this book. Seems to be a collection of the type of sappy, sentimental email stories that go around. I read two of these on the bus and started weeping. I'm not even going to finish this book, since I can't read it on the bus. *sigh*

I'm really itching to read "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad instead. I can't just say no when somebody lends me a book and tells me it's so great! Why can't I just say, "No thanks, I don't care to read that."?
jacky
I know these books aren't great literature, but they do provide nice little emotional stories. I've decided to read a couple every day or so just for fun. I've been reading them using that Google preview option, which is super cool. I have been getting made fun of though for this choice as well as for liking the stories! I can't help it though; I read them at school and miss my cats!
Andrew
Jennie
Jun 04, 2009 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any one that likes to read about odd animal experiances
Recommended to Jennie by: my mother got me reading the chicken soup for the teenage soul s
if you like cats read this book it tell interesting stories of cats and how they and their owners met. my favoret is the one about the dude who met his cat in iran. also another favoret is the one of the cat that became friends with the priest/booda. they are all amazing so read the book and see it for your self.
MayDerp
Filled with so many stories that range from being hilarious, to just outright touching.
It's perfect for a cat-lover or any animal-lover as well with awesome tales of cats across the world.
One of the best books that I've read in a while!
Katherine
Jun 26, 2008 Katherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has cats!
I laughed and cried at this book. I liked it because I identify with a lot of the stories-who knew that over people had crazy cats, too? It's also nice that there are short stories so you can read how ever much you have time for.
Anna
This book is great for anyone who adores cats as I do. My heart nearly melted at most stories, a few almost made me cry but all warmed my heart which is what Chicken soup does, so it's just perfect if that's what you want.
Ginger
Well, I like cats, so I liked reading a book with stories about cats. And they're all short stories, so it made for a great bathtub book. My only complaint is this: Why were there so many stories about cats dying?!
Nick S
this book is nonfiction. it is about cat owner who write in stories about their cats and what they do. some of the stories are interesting to read and you don't know how crazy your pets are until you read this book.
Ica Surjo
Ini salah satu buku yang saya nggak rela cepat selesai bacanya... Padahal biasanya setiap baca buku inginnya cepat kelar, tapi buku ini meski dibaca pelan2 kok ya cepet banget khatam nya :'(

*review menyusul
Anne
My only complaint is that it romanticizes to the relationships of cats and their owners to such an extent that it may create unrealistic expectations in the new and inexperienced cat owner.
  • The Nine Emotional Lives of Cats: A Journey into the Feline Heart
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • The Character of Cats: The Origins, Intelligence, Behavior, and Stratagems of Felis silvestris catus
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Cat Who Cried for Help: Attitudes, Emotions, and the Psychology of Cats
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Cleo
  • Teen Love: On Relationships - A Book for Teenagers
  • James Herriot's Cat Stories
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • I Am Maru
  • Dewey's Nine Lives: The Legacy of the Small-Town Library Cat Who Inspired Millions
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Cat
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • The Cat Who Came Back for Christmas- How a Cat Brought a Family the Gift of Love
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog

Canfield received a BA in Chi
More about Jack Canfield...
Chicken Soup for the Soul The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul II Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women (Chicken Soup for the Soul)