Start by marking “The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)

The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)

The Legend of Diamond Lil, second book in the illustrated J.J. Tully mystery series, is perfect for elementary-school kids who love adventure and animals. New York Times bestselling author Doreen Cronin brings the same wonderful humor to the JJ. Tully whodunits that she did to her beloved picture book bestsellers like Diary of a Worm.

In this sequel to the chapter book The
Published February 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Diamond Lil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Diamond Lil

Nicholai Vidanes
Mar 06, 2017 Nicholai Vidanes rated it it was amazing
This book deserves to be 5 star rating because it is fantastic. The words used in the book are unique. The book is remarkable because J.J. a retired search and rescue dog is assigned to guard chickens. When a possum shows up, he fears for their lives but trusts his instincts. When the beautiful Samoyed dog, Diamond Lil, offers to partner with him to help protect the chicks, it isn't clear if J.J. needs help or he just likes the good-looking dog. Since this book is a series, I will continue readi ...more
Mike
Apr 06, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
J.J. Tully is back for another hard-boiled adventure maintaining law and order in the seedy world of the chicken coop. I enjoyed this book just as much as The Trouble With Chickens; the first book in the series had a somewhat better (if still light-weight) plot, and also had the advantage of taking me by surprise. This book had to live up to my higher expectations, but largely did, nailing the atmosphere just as well as, if not better than, the first book. I was concerned when I saw that Vince t ...more
Barb Middleton
Feb 24, 2014 Barb Middleton rated it liked it
J.J. is a retired search and rescue dog who guards chickens. When a possum shows up, he fears for their lives but trusts his instincts. When the beautiful Samoyed dog, Diamond Lil, offers to partner with him to help protect the chicks, it isn't clear if J.J. needs help or just likes the good-looking dog. When things reach a climax, there's a twist to the mystery of the possum and Diamond Lil that the reader won't see coming. Don't peek! You read-the-last-page readers will spoil the surprise!

This
Tami
Fantastic! The second book in the J.J. Tully series by Doreen Cronin lives up to the promise of the first installment (THE TROUBLE WITH CHICKENS)and, in my opinion, goes beyond it! I read this one with my 8 and 9 year old as a bedtime story (like the first one) and we ALL loved it! The somewhat tongue-in-cheek film noir-ish tone of J.J. and the resident villain Vince the Funnel are a blast to read aloud, not to mention the hilariously funny & sweet additions of the 4 chicks and their mother, ...more
Anastasia Tuckness
Good follow-up to The Trouble With Chickens! Mystery still abounds in J.J. Tully's world--why has the possum returned to the yard? who has moved in next door? and why is she (the new dog) sleeping under the house? All will be revealed, but only in due time, since Vince the funnel dog only gives out one piece of information for each dog biscuit!

This book will be enjoyed by newly independent readers who enjoy mysteries, animals, or funny/wry books.

It would also make a great read-aloud for a famil
Jessica
Jul 21, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
this was a cute and funny little mystery about a dog and an unlikely ally. throw in some chickens and you have a page turning adventure great for new 2 chapter book readers. there were a few spots I got a little confused by the writing but overall it was a good story.
Christina
J.J. Is a retired search and rescue dog who has taken it upon himself to keep the chicks, who are full of personality and attitude, and hen "Moosh", safe from harm. Life changes when a new dog, Lillian, shows up next door. In addition an opossum has been spotted, putting the chicks in danger. How has the opossum gotten around the fence leaving no scent? A worthy mystery for those leaving easy readers behind and moving to their first chapter books.
Katie Fitzgerald
Mar 09, 2012 Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
This sequel to The Trouble with Chickens introduces Diamond Lil, a new dog in the neighborhood who claims to be living next door to JJ Tully’s owner Barb. When she offers to help him keep watch over Moosh and her chicks overnight, however, JJ realizes he might be putting his trust in a shady character.

The Trouble with Chickens was one of my favorite chapter books of 2011, and I don’t think this second one lives up to it. How could it? The first book established the entire fictional world of the
Amanda Harris
Jan 23, 2013 Amanda Harris rated it really liked it
J.J., a retired search and rescue dog, has one job and one job only...that's to maintain law and order in the seedy world of the chicken coop! (He especially keeps an eye on those little chicks!)
The mystery begins when a shady possum starts to show up around the coop and J.J. fears the chicks are in serious danger. While the mystery continues, Lillian (Diamond Lil), a beautiful dog with an equally beautiful southern accent, moves in next door and offers to help. J.J. starts informing Lil about
Darlene

Book 26 Bibliographic Citation:
Cronin, D. (2012). The legend of Diamond Lil: A J. J. Tully mystery. New York, NY: Balzer + Bray.

Age/Grade Level: (Ages 7–11, Grades 2–5)

Summary:
Guard dog J.J. Tully takes his job seriously, and when a stranger shows up, he investigates. He’s got other problems, though; a ‘possum loose, and she’s in Cahoots with the stranger to get inside the chicken coop. Fortunately, the stranger turns out to be a friend to all and helps the ‘possum rescue her baby from the coop,
Dolly
Dec 09, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
Shelves: childrens, mystery, pets, 2013
This is the second book in the J.J. Tully Mystery series by Doreen Cronin and Kevin Cornell. We read the first story, The Trouble With Chickens, just over a year ago and we were excited to see a new story.

We are introduced to a femme fatale in this story and the characters first story return for an engaging and humorous hard-boiled detective tale. Vince the funnel is just as disagreeable as ever, but he isn't the bad guy in this story. Overall, I liked this book even better than the first book.
Michele Knott
I read the first book in this series when it was at our Spring Book Fair. This is the second book in the series and it continues the story of JJ, the retired search and rescue dog whose current job is watching over "Moosh" and her flock of chicks. This time JJ has to deal with a possum that is trying to get to the chicks and a mysterious new neighbor.
I love the sarcasm that JJ uses and I think young readers will be laughing out loud at the amusing things he says. For example, one of my favorite
Dharia Scarab
Jun 29, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Lynda Shoup
Somehow I missed that Doreen Cronin, famous for her picture books including Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type, had written a chapter book. In fact, this book is the second in a mystery series. You bet I'll go back and read the first one.

The book is perfect for the newly reading crowd who have progressed beyond Henry and Mudge and need something with more challenge, but not more than they can handle. This book has the larger print, enough white space on a page and engaging illustrations to make it
David
Oct 04, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel, mystery, children
The latest morning read with the grandson was just plain fun, and a lot quicker than some of the books we have done this year. Our hero, a retired Search and Rescue dog has a new neighbor, but is all as it seems?

JJ Tully has taken the job of guarding the chicken coop, but a possum seems to be taking an unsavory interest in his charges. He is grateful that the new dog next door is willing to help sort things out, but can she be trusted to do a good job?

This is a great book to read aloud and pla
Mel Raschke
J.J. the search-and-rescue dog is ready for some much-needed R & R. But just when he thinks he has everything under control, there’s a new problem to worry about: Diamond Lil, a shiny new dog who’s taken up residence next door. Suddenly Moosh and her chicks are spending an awful lot of time with their fancy friend, talking about weird things like fluffy feathers and good posture. And Lil’s not the only new kid cramping J.J.’s style. There’s a possum loose, and it’s up to J.J. to keep everyon ...more
Diane
Feb 24, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
"I'm a search and rescue dog forced into retirement and walking the poultry beat in a country yard." JJ Tully is on the lookout for a possum ... one that's been hanging around the chicken coop at night. So when a dazzling white dog comes into his yard instead, he's not sure what to think. Her name is Diamond Lil and the chicks all seem to love her. But is she really who she says she is? I just love the language in these books: "His voice was thick and oozy ... like a jelly doughnut on a hot dash ...more
Sheila
Oct 09, 2016 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Diamond Lil comes to live next door to J.J. Tully but she comes with a secret. While the two of them strike up a friendship it seems as though J.j. is right not to trust her. When he finds out her secret he realizes the danger they were all in.

I love this series. Vincent the Funnel turns informant this time around. Lil is not what she seems. The chicks are as wild as ever and Mama Chicken is, indeed, a broody hen. I loved the story.

I hope more stories about J. J. Tully are coming. I just love t
Mari Anne
Feb 21, 2013 Mari Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
Hilarious follow up to "Trouble with Chickens" this is laugh out loud funny... even for adults. Cronin has done an excellent job of weaving some very funny one liners into an early reader chapter book suitable for kids in K-3 grade. J.J. Tully is a very funny retired search and rescue dog now tasked with guarding a goofy chicken and her troublesome chicks. Danger and intrigue abounds as a new dog, a very pretty Samoyed named Lil, moves in next door. Highly recommend these for early readers, eith ...more
Chris
Dec 15, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
In the second installment of the J.J. Tully mysteries, J.J. is again thrust into a mystery involving his little chicken friends. This time, he must both figure out who Diamond Lil is and thwart the plans of a possum who keeps invading the chicken coop. However, all is not as it seems on the surface. Again, told from the perspective of J.J. himself, the book is filled with wit and humor, making the title both fun and easily accessible to kids.
Ria Gill
Mar 31, 2014 Ria Gill rated it really liked it
The Legend of Diamond Lil: A J.J. Tully Mystery by Doreen Cronin is a book written from the perspective of J.J. the dog, and his interaction with the environment and other animals (among them his friends Moosh, Vince, Poppy, Sugar, and Sweetie). A new dog, Lillian (Lil) moves in, and J.J. is immediately suspicious, but gets to know Diamond Lil. This book has short chapters, and is an extremely fast read. I would recommend this book to a boy or girl in third though sixth grade.
Mussy Schold
Feb 20, 2014 Mussy Schold rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
After reading The Trouble With Chickens, this was the next quick read by Doreen Cronin. Again the book took a surprise turn at the end. Just when JJ thinks he has it all figured out...well...just read it. A great book to read when the temperature outside is hovering around 5 degrees and you are hunkered down in tuo lectulo until the mercury rises a few degrees! Less than an hour will give you a book read, a smile on your face and the ompf to get going!
Jay
Jun 04, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This would be a great read-aloud book, or a short chapter book for an early reader... especially one who loves dogs. Like the first one in this series, there are pictures and mostly simple words to read, but a lot of twists and suspicious circumstances. The first book introduces the characters, so it should really be read first.

The first book had a couple of slow spots; this one did not.
Jonah
Oct 30, 2015 Jonah rated it liked it
I did like all of the story. And the really funny part was when Diamond Lil said that JJ Tully had to sleep with the chickens in their chicken house. And the funniest character is the dog named Diamond Lil because she thinks that it is a slumber party when it is really a night shift. Because it is kinda like it would be five [stars] but it is three.
Steve
Apr 12, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
A tough guy watchdog gives a deadpan narration of guarding some ditzy chicks (as in chickens) against a mysterious sneezing nighttime attacker.
A great read for Real Men Read to my 3rd graders. They loved hearing different voices and trying to guess what would happen next.
I would pick more of this author's books for kids.
Emily Freeman
A hard-boiled detective novel from the POV of a chicken-guarding dog! Reminds me of Hank the Cowdog, another series for the same age group. Although Hank is an homage to the old Western genre, these two series share a style of humor as well as many plot elements. I still haven't read the companion series The Chicken Squad, also by Doreen Cronin, but I'm looking forward to doing so soon!
Beverly
Dec 15, 2013 Beverly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-mystery
A very good, short mystery for children transitioning into chapter books. Even though the book is 126 pages long, the font is large and it is liberally illustrated throughout, making this a very fast read for fluent readers. The story is humorous and the animal characters are lovable and interesting.
Meghan Nels
Jun 19, 2013 Meghan Nels rated it really liked it
Having recently finished the Trouble with Chicken (J.J. Tully Mystery #1) I knew I had to read this one. This second book in the series did not disappoint. This is a good transitional book for students who have moved beyond easy chapter books. Students will enjoy the mystery and that the story is told from the perspective of dog.
Vanessa-Alexandra
Jun 08, 2016 Vanessa-Alexandra rated it it was ok
Recommended to Vanessa-Alexandra by: Cats, animals, outdoors, nature, skating, dancing, cheerleading, board games, Kindle, books, reading, goig out to dinner,
I don't know why I never quite got into this book. It never filled me with any kind of excitement. I was not eager to finish reading it. It was more like I had to remind myself to read it because it wasn't calling me. The characters are fun, but the I don't know...something wasn't doing it for me. I hope you all have a different experience.
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • The Case of the Library Monster
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Spunky Tells All
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Detective Gordon: The First Case
  • Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Piper Green and the Fairy Tree
  • My Dog Is Better Than Your Dog (Crimebiters! #1)
  • So You Want to Be a Rock Star
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
More about Doreen Cronin...

J.J. Tully Mystery (2 books)
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)

“Flash Floods are about as predictable as a crazy dream after one too many fish tacos - one minutes you're fine, and the next minute a moose is floating past you wearing a fishing hat and ladies' pajamas.” 1 likes