Start by marking “Chaos Tryst” as Want to Read:
Chaos Tryst

Chaos Tryst

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ariana Golde may be known for breaking and entering but she's no thief, she's a returner. She retrieves stolen objects and gives them back to their rightful owners. Her latest job: retrieving a statue from the Medveds. But Ari is having an off night, and she's caught red-handed by the three brothers, who don't just get mad--they turn into bears.

Maksim Medved is outraged--t
Published October 1st 2011 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Chaos Tryst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaos Tryst

Lady Lioness
This seems to be my week for the almost-greats. Y'know what I mean. I'm referring to those books that inch along the tightrope between 'Eh. It was good,' and 'This was awesome,' and they invariably fall off the wire somewhere in between. Chaos Tryst took the plunge closer to the 'Eh' side, which was disappointing.

Ariana (aka Ari) is a returner, a person who retrieves stolen artifacts and returns them to their rightful owners. She's also the daughter of two trickster gods, Anasai and Inari, and
Melindeeloo
Chaos Tryst fit very nicely into the fairy tale romance spin off 'kick' I've been on lately, since it stars the golden dread-locked Ariana Golde in the role of "Goldilocks" and bear shifter Maksim Medved with small supporting appearances by his brothers, as the 'three bears'. Here Ariana is not a wandering child, she's the daughter of two gods and a 'retriever' which is not exactly a thief - that's good, because with her affinity for chaos she'd be a pretty inept one. The pair comes together on ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: October 3, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://fan-fatale.com
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: No
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Warm

Ari Golde is a returner — her job is to retrieve stolen items and return them to their rightful owners. When her latest mission to retrieve a statue goes wrong and she’s caught by three notoriously scary
Bethany
It’s always a good sign when the first paragraph of a story makes you giggle – the good kind of giggle. Not the snickering kind…

I really enjoyed this story – perhaps all the more because my last few reads have been on the shadowy side of dark, and I was ready for a dose of levity. Chaos Tryst is a tongue-in-cheek conglomeration of fairy tales, packed with action, and a romance on the sweeter side of sexy.

I giggled. I chuckled. I might have even snorted once or twice. Basically, I had fun. The ch
Kelsey
Goldilocks and the Three Bears has never been told like this. Dubbin creates a fantasy world that few could have thought of. With bearshifters, goblins and chaos reigning we are left reeling in wonderment in this Faeble world.

Ariana Anase Kitsu Golde, a mixture of Japanese and West African heritage, is a returner. She feels a tug towards the item that she is looking for, meaning she is not stealing but returning an item to the rightful owner. In human world this doesn’t matter but for Faebles,
Zoe
Chaos Tryst is an interesting idea for a world setting which is hampered almost to the point of ruin by the childish and unrealistic "romantic" couple of this paranormal romance. Arianna Golde and Maksim Medved are characters from the "conflict" school of romance, which states that at no time may the characters have anything resembling chemistry until the last chapters of the book. These two succeed in that regard, and in the process they turn what could have been a cute book with a great idea i ...more
Home. Love. Books.
See this review and others on my site, www.ufreviews.com

A magical retelling of Goldilocks and the three bears. This is a novella, which for me I enjoy as short reads, but don't read them all that often because I like to really dive into a book and get lost in it for hours. But novellas also have their place, they are quicker reads, I think for those of us who don't have the time to immerse ourselves for hours in a longer book.

I would like to mention that the concept for this book is unique. The
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: "Everything went swimmingly on the approach but she'd forgotten what a tall woman she was. Forgot it all the way up until her forehead slammed into the poor guy's 'nads." (p. 14, egalley)

Chaos Tryst is a short story which takes place in a fairy tale like land and features The Three Bears. Ariana Anase Kitsu Golde is the daughter of Inari (a Japanese trickster fox god--kitsune) and Anansi (African trickster god who looks like a spider). She is a quick-witted woman who is attracted
Lexie
Chaos Tryst was an odd book, which given the "chaos magic" that affected the characters' lives perhaps makes a certain amount of sense. Ari spent much of the story sleep deprived and loony because of it while Maksim spent a lot of the story fighting "Bear" and the primal urges his other self was trying to force upon him.

What I found most interesting was that we saw things mainly from the perspective of Ari or Maksim, both of whom viewing their chaos magic in very different ways. Ari embraced her
Tracey, librarian on strike
This was a Netgalley preview. I got about halfway through this, and surrendered. There were some good things here - different (albeit deeply annoying and somewhat dim) FMC from the same-old same-old (I kind of liked that she was clumsy, but not that she was kind of an idiot), interesting use of fairy tales. As seems to be happening so often lately, there are good ideas at the core - but good heavens the writing. And editing. I don't care if the tone of a story is supposed to be light, "booty" is ...more
Kate
rating : 3.5/5

Chaos Tryst is about a girl, Ari Golde, that has to retrieve objects. Her job is to return the objects to the rightful owners, but she runs into a trouble along the way.

Her latest job is to retrieve a statue from the Medveds, but Ari gets caught red-handed by the three brothers, who could shift into bears.

Long story short, they don't believe that the statue isn't a heirloon from their parents, but Ari's magick doesn't lie. Ari has this strong attraction to Mak.

The only thing th
Syl
This is one of my favorite Carina Press titles thus far. It was absolutely hilarious. Two wreakers of chaos get together, cause havoc, and fall in love. There was major cheese and a good selection of puns; however, it was written in the "people look at you strangely when you laugh on the bus" way more than the "I want to bang my head on a hard surface and become unconscious" way. The crowning glory was the end, which I won't spoil, when they found out why they were forced together in the first p ...more
Deva
This novella is a retelling of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. I know ... I know ... You're probably thinking 'what the hell?' but it's so worth the read. This Goldilocks comes in the form of a Japanese/West African woman with gold dreadlocks ... Nice huh? And our 3 bears come in the form of ... Well ... 3 bears. Well, they're brothers, the Medved brothers, who can change into bears. Coincidentally Ariana Golde takes to the baby brother, Maksim.

When you think of fairy tale, you think of ogres and go
Charlotte  Black
Thank you to Net Galley and Carina Press for allowing me to read this book!

This has to be one of the most exciting reads I’ve read in a long time. The retelling of Goldilocks and the Three Bears is brought up to date with the authors humour and modern tricks to boot.

Enter Ariane, a Faeble, and her magic stick! Bring on Three Medveds who can turn into Russian Bears and you have a light hearted, skilled new story-telling at its best.

The intricate way that Dubbin writes will have you hanging on to
Brenda
Retelling of fairy tales has always been a hit or miss for me. Chaos Tryst was definately a hit with it's humor, romance, sexual tension, magic, action and a bit of mystery. Ms. Dubbin takes bits of fairy tale characters and turns them into an amazing story with characters that work their way into the readers' hearts. I loved every characters, no matter how small their part in the story. Once again I give you a list of my favorite things from Chaos Tryst:

orgasmic cookies
The surly one
Madame Bossy
Katy Beth Mckee
Actually a 3.5

This is not normally the genre I would read but I had received it as a prize during the Fall Romance Yahoo Group so I went ahead and read it. Even though it is not typically a book I look forward I did still enjoy reading it. It was very enjoyable and seemed like a fun romp through faire land. It was fun to see the characters overcoming one situation after another. The ending was a surprise twist and added to the fun. Overall a very satisfying read.
Jenny Schwartz
An absolute delight. Lots of fun and laughter, but some serious stuff, too, deftly handled. The world building is brilliant. Great remix of myth and fairytales. Loved the attitude. Loved the sexiness without any sex scenes. Totally enjoyed the read :)
Marian
Frothy, funny fantasy with a ton of myth and humor. Very cute. Great read for a plane flight.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Girish Mittal
Girish Mittal marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Asteropê
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Annmarie Wise
Annmarie Wise marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Darcy Whitmer
Darcy Whitmer marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Nancy Jones
Nancy Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shirin Dubbin is often called a “chic geek,” and she likes the sound of it. Especially since she’s a closet wallflower (albeit one with a super-heroine styled alter ego). When not working in graphic design or hosting The Fantastic Forum—a celebration of comics & speculative fiction—she writes stories inspired by the art, literature, international cinema, and anime she grew up with.

In her own
More about Shirin Dubbin...
To the Fifth Power (Powers, #1) Keeper of the Way (Aftermath Cleaners #1) Dreams' Dark Kiss Dusk Takes Dawn Whipstitch *free read*