Start by marking “The Wand-Maker's Debate” as Want to Read:
The Wand-Maker's Debate

The Wand-Maker's Debate (Osric's Wand #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  438 ratings  ·  65 reviews
While the world leaders of Archana gather for an unprecedented peace treaty signing, tragedy strikes, and rumors spread of war. Osric; a young, untested leader, is thrust into the chaos and must journey far with his unlikely companions to stop the inevitable world war. Circumstance brought them together, but prophecy has entwined their fates.

Now, the young Vigile Contege,
Published August 28th 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Wand-Maker's Debate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wand-Maker's Debate

Embrace by Stacey RourkeThe Conduit by Stacey RourkeSacrifice by Stacey RourkeWingless and Damned by Dawn WhiteProject ELE by Rebecca Gober
KBR Best Indie Books 2012 (Scifi/fantasy)
8th out of 102 books — 355 voters
Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyTagged by Joseph M. ChironDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsFruzzle's Mystery Talent by Karen BrueggemanCrashing Back Down by Kristen Hope Mazzola
My Fave Indie Authors
215th out of 286 books — 266 voters

More lists with this book...

E B Taylor
So this post will be a little different. I am going to do a review on a book by a couple of authors named Jack D. Albrecht and Ashley Delay. The name of their book is Osric’s Wand: The Wand-Maker’s Debate.

I went into reading this with no expectations; I was going to give it an honest look with no preconceptions. I’m going to talk about the overall setting first.

I’m not sure what expectations the authors had for the setting in this book, but let me put it simply; the world they created for this
John Blackport
Steph at  Starry Night Book Reviews
What a great adventure, if you like dragons, magic, unicorns and other mythical creatures you will love this book. It was a nice easy read and the way that the various races of people interacted was great, the story flowed nicely I think the only thing I’d like to see more of is action but I get why you needed the back story. I loved Pebble He is just so cute and sweet and the way he finds trouble. I loved these characters sarcasm, as a sarcastic person myself I found it really funny at times.

T
Sammy Smith

I read this book today in several hours and initially found it a little hard on the reading. The authors do a great job of describing the scene, but perhaps the descriptions are a little *too* in depth, as an avid reader sometimes I like to imagine structures and scenes using my own imagination and I found constantly changing my own interpretation in my mind to fit the descriptions supplied exhausting ... But I digress ...

I love how the book is pitched to appeal to a varied range of ages, this b
Robert
Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate is a very enjoyable fantasy tale with magic, talking beasts, wizards, and dragons. For those who have a love of stories such as The Chronicles of Narnia and Eragon, I believe Osric's Wand will not disappoint! I loved the main characters in this book, and I particularly enjoyed Gus, the talking prairie dog with attitude. This creature's sarcasm and grumpy demeanor kept me smiling throughout.

I won't give away any spoilers by detailing any specifics from the bo
Marie Borthwick
Jan 26, 2012 Marie Borthwick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: harry potter fans, fantasy fans, sci-fi fans
Most books I like well enough; sometimes there are few I don't care for, even fewer that I outright dislike, less than those that I hate and even less than those that I hate .... are the books that just WOW me. What wow'ed me the most about this book is that it was written not by one but by TWO people (Jack D. Albrecht, Jr. & Ashley Delay).

I must confess before, I continue, I used Osric's Wand as the initial guinea pig on an experiment of mine. When it came across my "desk", I was intrigued
Alana Woods
Pure delight

I opened this book with some hesitation because although I’m not a huge reader of fantasy a lot of what I have read recently has been pretty forgettable and ho-hum, if not downright bad. For me, good fantasy is Alice in wonderland, The hobbit, Lord of the rings—that kind of quality read.

A few pages in I was starting to relax. A few more pages I was thinking ‘This is good’. By the end I had come to the opinion that this book could stand alongside Alice and The hobbit.

I could find no f
Ashley
As posted on booknook - YA and Fantasy book reviews

This book is perfect for fans of epic fantasy books like Eragon and Harry Potter!

The Wand-Maker's Debate starts off introducing us to an incredible world of magic, dwarves, dragons, and talking animals ("talking animals" sounds so childish when you say it like that, but it's actually awesome) in a land called Archana. Everyone is born with magic, but wands are used to channel and enhance that magic. The level of someone's magical ability is judg
Emily
If Goodreads allowed half stars, I'm afraid this book would be a 1.5 for me... it's not the worst of the worst, but honestly it was really tough to get through.

I wanted to like it, I really did. I'll save the summary, because everyone else writes a summary as if they can't scroll up and read the book's own description. So, you know what the book is about. Here are the problems:

1) The writing style. First and foremost, the writing style is amateurish at best. The onslaught of writing cliches an
Lynxie
**I received a copy of this book from the author in return for a review.**

I enjoyed Osric's Wand. It was a light-hearted romp through a very magic infused world. All the big mythical creatures came out to play (unicorns and dragons etc).

I got a little lost with all the terms/names that were introduced at the beginning with only a little explanation... this could be a little clearer.

I felt that it was written for a little younger audience than I am, but I still enjoyed it. My favourite character
Kat
Franz McLaren
In Osric’s Wand the authors have created a truly delightful world inhabited by humanity and creatures as equals. Although this is a book that will appeal to fantasy lovers of all ages, it is not a cutesy fairy tale. This tale is packed with swords, sorcery, magical creatures, and intrigue. All of it driven by believable characters with distinct personalities.

Within the first few pages, I was drawn into a world where someone is out to destroy a world peace effort. Osric, along with a delightful
Mireille Chester
First of all, I have to say there is nothing quite like a well written fantasy story to get my pulse pumping. It's my favorite genre and here's why. Absolutely anything and everything goes. So when I find an author who takes advantage of this rule and lets it all out, I fall in love. In this case, we're taking about two authors.

Osric's Wand blew my mind. It had magic of every kind, talking animals, wizards, hunters, dragons, dwarves, unicorns, maidens... you name it, Jack and Ashley wrote it in
Na Deela
I don't even know where to begin! I don't want to spoil the story for anyone who hasn't read it so I'll try to write this review without spoilers. No promises :-P. First, I need to say that I really really hope there is a sequel coming! I kept looking for more pages when there were none left. Second, I need to say that the creativity it had to have taken to write this story really has me flaberghasted. This is, by my experience, a truely original story with unexpected twists about every other pa ...more
Y.I. Washington
I really found this book to be a pretty good read. I enjoyed the journey of Osric and his companions through their world to try and avert a world war. Jack and Ashley did a great job transporting the reader to the fictional world of Archana.

Imagine living your life following a quiet plan and finding out that you are so much more? This is a tale of growth, redemption, forgiveness, treachery and true companionship. And I fell in love with little Pebble.

I would have preferred a little less back sto
Nigel
i spend a lot of my spare time reading and not just fantasy books but any book that draws my attention with just one chapter and believe me when i say that this book had my captivated from page one to finish with the witty humor of some characters or the suspenseful sequences within the adventure of osric and his companions.

of the books of read in the last three years i would have to say this is one of the most creative books i have read and i would have to put it in my top 3.

you can tell just b
Mimi Barbour
Sci-Fi fantasy type novels don't generally keep my interest, but I have to admit, this story did. And I attribute it solely to the talent of the author. Creative writing joined with a great imagination can't be beat, and when a new world opens up full of wonderful descriptive creatures communicating with each other by magic and with a hero such as Osric, how could I put the book down? With his special companions, he fights the good fight and I cheered him on all the way. Loved this story and hig ...more
ReadingDiva
Harry Potter meets Narnia, The Osric’s Wand Debate is a great story of magic & adventure. If you are a fan of magic, dragons, and amazing creatures with awesome powers then this is the book for you.
This story has great characters, excellent plot and a story that brings you into a world that will keep your imagination going wild. This book is great for young adults and adults alike.

Looking forward to reading more of this magical world!
Josh
Apr 21, 2012 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Mixed feelings on this book. Relatively unique take on magic, but what was more interesting was talking animals but in a more gritty way than the classic Narnia way. Characters seemed a little one dimensional and the main protagonist soon morphs into the typical unstoppable fantasy hero. Everything comes together way to pat in the end. Having said that the novel left me strangely wanting more of the author's world.
Tracie
This the first book in this series,as well as, the first book written by this author. I loved this story and the characters. He brought the characters to life and gave them a voice. I can't wait for the second book to come out. I hope I won't have to wait long. It really was an easy read and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Charlotte Abel
Feb 02, 2012 Charlotte Abel marked it as to-read
I can't wait to dig into this book. Talking prairie dogs are worth at least 4 stars. Add in elves and humans living side by side with all sorts of sentient and vocal critters and it has to be a winner.

I'll edit this with an actual review after I read the book ;-)
Risa
This book captured my attention from the beginning. It had its faults but overall, it is a fun book to read. I hope the author writes more. It has unicorns, magic, dragons and dwarfs. Although the charactors are somewhat cliche, it is still a good story.
Nancy
I thought this book was amazing. I really liked the main characters. When I started reading this book I could'nt put it down because I could wait to see what happened next. I think this book would make a great movie.
Bill Tillman
A great read, this is the first of several Wand Maker books. Page turner, light reading and a fun book.
Stephen Lodewyks
Good read. I like the different creatures and storyline.
aobibliophile™
“What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick” - Anonymous

what would have been a peaceful treaty signing ends in tragedy and Archana is on the brink of war. as Vigile Contege, Osric must do everything he can to avert further disaster and find out what or who was behind the heinous act.
authors Jack D. Albrecht Jr. and Ashley Delay deliver a fantasy adventure novel filled with mythical creatures, intrigue, deception and loads of magic.
there is so much to love about this
Airicka Phoenix

Now, the young Vigile Contege, the world’s greatest Wand-Maker, and a beautiful Maiden of the Unicorn must put aside their differences and work together, or
Stephanie Cowart
I received a copy of this book from the author for review.
It is a promising start for a new fantasy series. I wish I had connected with it more.
Osric is a leader over the troops at a village called Stanton. The opening of the book has he and his men preparing for a big gathering at the palace which includes ambassadors from the different races in this world called Archana. Security is of great importance and as most people in this world possess magic, magical means are also employed to secure t
Your Need To Read
Full review here http://yourneedtoread.blogspot.com/20...

This is a promising start of a new fantasy series. I wish I had connected with it more.

Osric is a leader of the troops at a village called Stanton. The opening of the book has Osric and his men preparing for a big gathering at the palace which includes ambassadors from the different races in this world called Archana. Security is of great importance, and as most people in this world possess magic, magical means are also employed to secure
Daniel J. Weber
The Good:
I was drawn into this book right from the start. A mystery is afoot and though not a lot happens at first, the author draws you in by describing the world and the character's thereof. Now, this is not the type of dry description you would see as a caption on a painting, but the description of the painting itself. A picture is worth 1,000 words, and though the author does not use that many (though I never counted them, so if there is a 1,000 word description, don't hold it against me) th
Favorite charactors, and the mystery surrounding the wand 2 8 May 31, 2012 11:49PM
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The Witch Stones : Gathering Of The Covens
  • Mark of the Dragon Queen
  • The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #1.5)
  • The Eye of Divinity (Knights, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • A Touch of Magic
  • Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2)
  • White Shores (The Vitalis Chronicles, #1)
  • The White Tree
  • The Hungering Saga Complete (The Hungering Saga, #1-3)
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Dawning (Black Earth, #1)
  • Cloak
  • The Dark Citadel (The Dark Citadel, #1)
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
Jack D. Albrecht Jr. resides in Colorado. He is a devoted father and a full time student. His new found passion for writing consumes most of his time, but once in a while he can still be found under the hood of a car or studying for his Pharmaceutical degree. Jack has been an avid reader for most of his life, with Sci-Fi and fantasy being his favorite genres. Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate ...more
More about Jack D. Albrecht Jr....
The High-Wizard’s Hunt The Well of Strands (Osric's Wand, Book Three) Osric's Wand: The Wand-Maker's Debate