Start by marking “Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)

Covenant of War (Lion of War #2)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The year is 993 BC. After years of bloody civil war, Eleazar son of Dodai, one of King David s most elite warriors, wants nothing more than to finally live peacefully in the land. But on the plains near the Great Sea, a terrifying army of Philistines has mobilized to crush the Hebrew tribes once and for all. In the sun-drenched valleys and dark forests of the hill country, ...more
Published February 25th 2012 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Covenant of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Covenant of War

Jim
Once during the harvest, when David was at the cave of Adullam, the Philistine army was camped in the valley of Rephaim. The Three (who were among the Thirty—an elite group among David’s fighting men) went down to meet him there. David was staying in the stronghold at the time, and a Philistine detachment had occupied the town of Bethlehem.

David remarked longingly to his men, “Oh, how I would love some of that good water from the well by the gate in Bethlehem.” So the Three broke through the Phi
Joy
Great book, and a great journey into historical Israel for my first Around the World in 80 Books challenge!

"The Lord your God never abandons you, even when you abandon Him." Wise words from a wise king, and a theme in Covenant of War , follow-up book to Cliff Graham's Day of War. The story continues to follow King David and his Mighty Men, and their battle to reclaim the land of Israel. Covenant is told from the perspective of Eleazar, one of David's Three elite warriors, Benaiah, another of
Debra Hancock
"The year is 993 BC. After years of bloody civil war, Eleazar son of Dodai, one of King David's most elite warriors, wants nothing more than to finally live peacefully in the land. But on the plains near the Great Sea, a terrifying army of Philistines has mobilized to crush the Hebrew tribes once and for all. In the sun-drenched valleys and dark forests of the hill country, Eleazar and his warriors make their stand against Israel's deadliest enemy. The fate of an entire nation rests on the coura ...more
Claire
The Lion of War series continues with book 2, Covenant of War. David has been crowned king of Judah, but Israel hasn't accepted him and the Philistines are closing in... Meanwhile, palace life and intrigue threaten David's life from within as he succumbs to it's corrupting influence. Book 1, Day of War, was a little bloody for me and I had trouble getting through it. But Covenant of War kept me spellbound. Cliff Graham is a great storyteller and Covenant of War reads more like a novelization of ...more
Jimmy
Pg. 0-71:
During War, the Israelites had to wait for a priest to 'purify' them as well as their fallen brethren's bodies in order to become 'clean', something that is very important in Jewish culture.
At the end of this section, the main character Eleazar, a mighty man of King David, goes to an Ammonite pleasure tent outside his city instead of returning home to his wife. He just returned from war and was looking for something to satisfy himself after seeing many men die, but he shouldn't be unfa
Bill Tillman
The first book, Day of War was fabulous and so far this book is even better. Okay now that I have finished it.

What words describe valor? What phrase gives meaning to service? Dedication and sacrifice are they truly definable? I answer a resounding yes to all three questions. Cliff Graham has reached an even higher plateau than he did in 'Day of War'. Some characters have died since the first installment in this five part series 'Lion of War'. Next will be 'Song of War', Fires of War', and finall
Rick Higginson
Cliff Graham does an excellent job of bringing to life events and stories that are told only briefly in the Bible. His books offer food for thought in what it might have really been like for not only the men of war around the time of Kings Saul and David, but for their families as well.

That said, this book can also be a bit upsetting, because Graham does not sugarcoat the aspects of war in that day. War has always been a violent, brutal process, for both the soldiers and for the people in a disp
Dale
Published by Zondervan in March of 2012
348 pages.

There have been plenty of historical fiction books written about ancient wars as of late. Stephen Pressfield's Gates of Fire about the Battle of Thermopylae or Conn Iggulden's Emperor Series about Julius Caesar come to mind. Bible-based historical fiction about war is pretty rare, however. Cliff Graham has chosen to write about the Old Testament's most complicated and best-documented warrior, David in the Lion of War Series.

In Covenant of War , D
Elaine Littau

Covenant of War by author Cliff Graham is well-written. While men will be the most to appreciate this book and the detail of hand-to-hand combat of 991 BC, women will benefit from reading it. The author was able to write into the pages bravery,courage, strategy, danger, brutal strength, loyalty, faith and a myriad of other words that evoke strong emotions and word pictures.

It is written as a fiction based on the biblicle accounts of David and his mighty men. Reading of the victories over the fo
Katie
Tagging along closely with Eleazar--one of the Three--the reader gets a glimpse into the spiritual turmoil that killing causes in a man’s mind. Covenant of War was another really good read to add to this series. Cliff Graham knows those war details. Who needs to watch a war movie, when you can read something like this?? The battles spring from the pages in vivid color--and enough to make you queasy!!

Graham writes in a very manly, masculine way that is sure to delight (and inspire) men…but probab
Deon Engelbrecht
Great book. I quite enjoyed the graphic detail. I especially enjoyed the spiritual context of the book.
Allen Baldwin
Graham has created something special, historically sound and excitingly but tastefully embellished!
Peter Krol
This novel about David's Mighty Men was as good as the first volume, Day of War. It kept me interested the whole way; I flew through it on my vacation week.

Graham has a strong writing style that defies my expectations for his genre. And the story kept making me want to go back to 2 Samuel to dig into the text of Scripture. The story certainly added details to the story that aren't present in Scripture; but it didn't change anything recorded there. Such changes would have distracted me from the n
Justin Goodwin
I liked the first book and this one did not disappoint
Jason Hague
Fantastic, and not just because it tells zeroes in on one of my favorite stories in the bible (I won't give it away...) This one flows better than Day of War, and the characters are more vivid. It focuses on Eleazar (one of "the three"), but you get a good dose of Beneniah, Keth and Gareb as well. Best of all, David really comes alive, with all of his warts beginning to show. These books are violent and gritty, so be warned. If you can handle that, there is plenty of good stuff to glean here.
Dmack
Great 2nd book of Lion of War Series; excellent take by author on the what if's as well as setting up future stories and if you know the Bible then it's neat to see the possibilities that might happen? Good writing and nice graphics and war scenes; my only complaint is each character could be developed even more to truly make us fall in love with or hate them depending on sides etc..; still can't wait for 3rd book as well as am excited about the movie possibilities
Matthew Robbins
Excellent second book in the Lion of War series from Cliff Graham. I'm really enjoying the balance he strikes between adherence to the Biblical story lines and a creative, theological interpretation of some of the events related David's "Mighty Men." His use of the work of the Spirit ("The Covering") is very interesting. The concept of grace clearly shows up in this book in how Yahweh deals with the sins of some as well. Excited for the rest of this series.
Anna Hargett
Another great book from Cliff Graham. I was very pleased with this book (after reading Day of War) and it did not disappoint. Graham incorporates a lot of ancient military battlefield tactics in his books, and while one might think that would be boring, he does it in a way that keeps the reader interested, engaged, and feeling like they are right there on the battlefield with these Hebrew warriors. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Emily
It's only getting better! With Covenant of War, characters are explored deeper, you grow in your understanding of the battle styles while being exposed to new ones, and charge along biblical history with these men. Mr. Graham does a great job of continuing the energy, depth, and focus started in Day of War. New characters are introduced and veterans are lost while Scripture foreshadows it all. Thrilling and inspiring read.
Jason
A great follow up to Day of War. This book opens as David has just been given the throne to the northern kingdom. Before he can fully unite the norther and southern tribes, though, the Philistines invade the Elah Valley, and The Lion is forced to take a green, overmatched army to meet the invading threat, trusting in Yahweh once again to give him the Covering.
Omi
Wow, so incredible! This guy does an AMAZING job of filling in what might have really happened between/during Biblical account. It really brings the Bible to life. I hafta warn you though, it's not for the faint of heart. There is major battle gore involved. Its a major guy book. I REALLY like it though, hahaha.
Heather
Another AWESOME book!! Highly recommend this series! And Mr. Graham has released the rights to a movie. I'm really interested to see if it is as good as the books! Most movies are not but I hope this comes close to it! <3 <3 <3 them.

Thank you Mr. Graham for your sharing your talent!
Lance
Covenant of war continues the adventures of David and his mighty men. In the book Benaiah is continuing to face up against his past while uncovering a Philistine plot to invade Israel. The rest of the mighty men face a drought which leaves them with a dwindling water supply.
Andrew
The best historical fiction book that I have ever read on King David's mighty men. This is the 2nd book in the series so make sure you read Day of War first. I would recommend this to every young man, teenager, father, and parent. Such a good book.
Terry Collins
Better than the first one and the first one was great. Roughly follows the biblical account. Some great insight into part of the culture, really helps readers understand the times. Hope the movie is fantastic, looking forward to it already.
Jesse Hopkins
What an awesome book! I loved reading the story of Davids mighty men. they were fearless with the help of the Lord. they did some amazing things while in battle.. I highly recommend this series. on to the next!
Tony
This is such a great series!!! Mr Graham, please don't get up from your desk until you are done with the last three. Thanks.

p.s. I can't wait for the movies to come out
Carl
I really like the style and intrepretation of the stories revolving around King David's Mighty Men.

"If your courage holds in the small battles, it will hold in the great ones."
Oneredthread
Awesome. Great read, exciting and engrossing. It gives you a bit more insight into the characters' backgrounds. Can't wait until I get the third I the series.
Dan Dupre
This is one of my favorite books. This series has changed the way I think about how to praise The Lord in the way I live my life.
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • Behold the Dawn
  • A Ranger's Trail (Texas Trails, #4)
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia #1)
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • The Next Target
  • The Search Committee
  • Song of the Ovulum (Children of the Bard, #1)
  • Lion of Babylon
  • The Spirit Well (Bright Empires, #3)
  • Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)
  • Seeker of Stars
  • Fearless: A Novel
  • When Camels Fly (Parched, Book 1)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Rise of a Legend (Guardians of Ga'Hoole)
  • The Master's Wall
  • The 13th Tribe

Lion of War (5 books)
  • Day of War (Lion of War #1)
  • Song of War (Lion of War, #3)
  • Fires of War (Lion of War, #4)
  • Twilight of War (Lion of War, #5)
Day of War (Lion of War #1) Song of War (Lion of War, #3) Benaiah (The Hall of the Mighty Men, #1) David (The Hall of the Mighty Men) Eliahba (The Hall of the Mighty Men)