Start by marking “Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)” as Want to Read:
Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)

Verdict in Blood (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #6)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Joanne Kilbourn is a 51-year-old professor of political science, broadcaster, mother, lover, and amateur crime solver based in Regina, Saskatchewan. She's an original and immensely appealing character, totally believable in all her roles. In five previous installments, author Gail Bowen has supplied such a convincing array of details about her family, friends, and the land ...more
Published June 21st 2011 by McClelland & Stewart (first published September 5th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Verdict in Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verdict in Blood

Helen
Joanne Kilbourn is someone to whom you really do not want to become close - all her friends and relations have terrible things happen to them. Her police inspector lover Alex Kequahtooway has been mentoring his nephew Eli, who has serious psychological problems, and that 16 year old has gone missing during a Rough Riders football game and does not appear till the next day. In the meantime Alex is set to investigate the bludgeoning death of a Supreme Court judge after a party she gave to celebrat ...more
Twyla
Feb 11, 2015 Twyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Omfg, mobile goodreads drives me up the bloody walll! It won't let stars nee chosen, can't tow pe half the time, it magically goes back pages without pa
ressying anything, doesn't work in portrait move and cant be read in landscape mode.
This was actually a decent book, but I can't post a decent review. As usual you can guess at the killer but probably won't get it right. And I found a couple of tipOs.
David W.
Apr 30, 2015 David W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this one the best
But they have become almost an obsession to read
But as I am reading them in order I have only one more book to read before I would have to read out of the sequence. Anyone have a copy of "The Glass Coffin" :)
I do have to slow down though. Took only a day and a half to read.
D1wata
Mar 22, 2014 D1wata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the protagonist! Strong, educated, professional and independent: A woman I'd like to know/befriend. Plot line... Meh. Interesting to read about Canadian race relations in here, nice bonus.
Stephanie
I had read a few Joanne Kilborn books in the '90s. This one kept my interest. A quick read.
Barbara
Apr 13, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Browsing the mystery shelves at the library found me this one which is part of a series featuring Joanne Kilbourn, a female Canadian sleuth. Kilbourn is a political science professor and amateur detective. I enjoyed the setting and the plot and characterizations were good. I would get another by this author.
Debbie
Apr 07, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better books in Gail Bowen's series. The mystery is good and I didn't figure out who the murderer was so that is good. On the downside, I really don't like the heroine of these books. I find her cold and a bit out of touch with other people's feelings. Nice, quick and entertaining read though.
Nancy
Feb 17, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just discovered this Canadian mystery writer. So glad, but unfortunately among the three libraries I frequent, only this book showed up. She writes deftly about murder, family relationships, and social justice issues. What's not to like?
Peter
See other reviews of Bowen's work. Gail Bowen has carved out an interesting niche with mystery stories set in Saskatchewan and featuring University professor Joanna Kilbourn.
Bill
Jan 19, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An author from my hometown in Canada. Was OK---but I recognized a lot of the streets
Sherry
The 6th book in her series. Really enjoying it.
Bernard Von Schulmann
Bernard Von Schulmann rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it it was amazing
Mariann
Mariann marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Gwen
Gwen rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Lila Summer
Lila Summer rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Cyndy
Cyndy rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Tricia
Tricia rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Donna McAllister
Donna McAllister marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Cathy Ducherer
Cathy Ducherer rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Carole Anne
Carole Anne rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Myra
Myra rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
  • Buffalo Jump (Jonah Geller #1)
  • By the Time You Read This (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #4)
  • Confined Space (Bern Fortin mystery, #1)
  • Date with a Sheesha (A Russell Quant Mystery, #7)
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • Strangle hold (Detective Greene, #4)
  • Exit Lines
  • A Bird in the House
  • Magnified World
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • The Ravine
  • The Water Rat of Wanchai (Ava Lee, #1)
Gail Dianne Bowen (née Bartholomew) is a Canadian playwright and writer of mystery novels. Born in Toronto, Ontario, Bowen was educated at the University of Toronto, the University of Waterloo and the University of Saskatchewan. She subsequently taught English in Saskatchewan, and is currently a professor of English at First Nations University of Canada. Bowen's mystery novels feature Joanne Kilbo ...more
More about Gail Bowen...

A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Deadly Appearances (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Mendel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #2)
  • The Wandering Soul Murders (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #3)
  • A Colder Kind of Death (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #4)
  • A Killing Spring (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #5)
  • Burying Ariel (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #7)
  • The Glass Coffin (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #8)
  • The Last Good Day (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #9)
  • The Endless Knot (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #10)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)