Start by marking “The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)” as Want to Read:
The Brass Bed (Jewel Heiss #1)

The Brass Bed (Hinky Chicago #1)

2.65 of 5 stars 2.65  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  76 reviews
“Funny, frisky, and far out! Jennifer Stevenson’s writing is naughty and irresistible.”
–Julie Kistler, author of Scandal

THE CURSE: Satisfy one hundred women or be trapped in a brass bed forever
Lord Randall was a lousy lover in 1811, so his magician-mistress turned him into a sex demon. Lucky for him, his bed fell into Clay’s hands.

THE CON: Sex therapy for women on an anti
Published April 29th 2008 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Brass Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brass Bed

The Brass Bed is the first book in the Jewel Heiss series by American author, Jennifer Stevenson. Jewel Heiss is an agent for Chicago’s Department of Consumer Services. Her boss, Ed Neccio has her permanently assigned to cases involving magic: the Mayor gets upset when magic hits the news. But on the side, Ed wants her to find out what his wife, (and her best friend) Nina, is up to: he’s convinced this “therapist” she is seeing is her lover on the side. Clay Dawes runs a sex therapy service invo ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I don't know who I ticked off, but this was another book I could not finish. I picked it up THREE different times trying to get into it and finally just gave up. The author's writing is first person which normally doesn't bother me. Whenever I tried to read this book, I just ended up frustrated, confused, and lost. The plot seemed to jump all over the place and I didn't much like the hero or the heroine. Hopefully, somebody else managed to finish this and like it, but it certainly wasn't me!!
Jennifer Stevenson's world is quirky and fun, and like no other author's. This is light reading that you can get through in a few short hours. The story develops by making assumptions about what the reader knows and then gives background in a less traditional way, so don't expect to get all the information in ABC order. That is not Jennifer's style. But you will get the whole story eventually!

I love Jennifer's sex scenes! They always leave you with the impression of great sex, but without any of
Barbara ★
I liked the concept of this book - a bad lover cursed to spend time trapped in a bed until he satisfied 100 women. But the execution was a bit scatterbrained. Honestly I kept looking to see if this was book two in a series. It was very hard to follow and there were just too many unexplained things - like the pink fog, the smoking pigeons and the nix on saying "magic". I liked Jewel though her nymphomania was kind of out of control. Hell she's a fraud investigator for the police and she's done ev ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
I tried, I really did, but the writing is horrible, the plot has potential, but the banter was crap, and the story was boring.
I got about 80 pages in and couldn't finish, came back 6 months later, and I couldn't get farther than page 189. It was just too hard to read a book I couldn't find it in myself to care about. I'm really glad I didn't buy the book, that is was a free download.
Sep 30, 2009 Terri added it
Recommends it for: masochists
Recommended to Terri by: Amazon, who apparently hates me.
Shelves: 2009, abandoned-books
Seriously, one of the worst books I've ever read. If I had the main character's job, or her friends, or her boss, or her life I'd probably throw myself into Lake Michigan. I can't figure out why, at no point in the story, she doesn't just throw her hands up in digust in walk away. There is absolutely no reason for her to keep putting up with the nonsense that is tossed at her, yet she keeps on trucking. Worse, this is supposedly a steamy romance novel, yet the sex scenes are completely unsexy, t ...more
Sara Stamey
I just discovered Jennifer Stevenson's wacky, wonderful series, and plan to read more in it soon. As others have said, her stories are original, amusing, and pretty darn hot! There are nods to romantic fantasy, but the tone here is sly and subversive, while staying light and fast-paced. Her heroine Jewell is definitely her own boss, though susceptible to the charms of men, and she manages to call the shots with two hunky guys, one of whom literally sweeps her off her feet into fantastic sensual ...more
Jen Taylor
This book was a huge let down. I had heard such good things about it, but it totally fell flat. I struggled to get through it. It was tedious, boring, lame and just downright hard to get into at all. The characters were flat and poorly written. The plot was frenzied, not very well organized and it was boring. Sorry to say I am not going to be reading the sequel if it is as bad as this book. I couldn't even force myself to finish it. I got 3/4 of the way and found it too horrid to finish. Sorry J ...more
Free Kindle download, otherwise I would never have even looked at this book. Struggled through the first three or so chapters and just couldn't go any further.

Bear in mind that I have a sort of Book-related OCD, where once I start a book, no matter how terrible, I have to finish it. Except this one. I couldn't take any more. Buh-bye.
Nov 10, 2009 Barbara marked it as to-read
Can't seem to get into this one...Went against my rule of "Never read reviews or look at average ratings before I form my own opinion" but I had to this time...And low and behold what I found was I believe the lowest ratings in goodreads history! No wonder, and thank goodness I wasn't alone (this time anyways)!
uhm... kinda weird, there didnt seem to be a plot until almost the end. The book went into details on the characters and story line with no introduction first so it was confusing.
I wanted very badly to enjoy this. I liked the premise quite a bit, but I just didn't like any of the characters.
You know how sometimes you get in a rut and you need a splash of cold water to bust you out of said rut? Well - this book splashed cold water in my face and then looked at me and said - You is one pathetic bitch. Submit to me! Yeah. That's how this book rolled.

The writing was kind of weak. I read the first 20 pages and was HUH? and seriously wondered if I should start over and read more carefully. And then I thought about it and looked at the cover art again and thought - No - It's not you....i
I didn't get into this book as easily as I have with all the other Jennifer Stevenson novels I've read - even though I'd recently read A Taste of You, which has the same setting of "hinky Chicago". it took me a while to care about the characters, and their backstories felt more plopped in than in the other books, but once I got into it, I really liked Jewel (I have a friend whose surname is Heiss - must tell her about Jewel Heiss, which I assume is a deliberate play on "jewel heist") and the dyn ...more
Lauren Hidden
A friend who is always on the lookout for freebie Kindle books alerted me to this one, so I figured I'd give it a try. It certainly wasn't a book I'd ordinarily buy as I'm not usually a fantasy fan, but I did find it interesting. Though the premise of the sex demon trapped in a brass bed was far-out, the author did a good job of suspending disbelief with that story theme. I'm not sure if the theme of magic in the physical setting added to the book or detracted from the odd-enough-already theme o ...more
I was very excited when the new book by Jennifer Stevenson was available for a free download on my Kindle. I might have even squealed out loud. I adored Trash Sex Magic so much how could this go wrong?

The Brass Bed isn't a bad book necessarily, but it overall lacks in goodness. It has the feel of a detective romp without the actual mystery.

I will say this about Stevenson. She writes urban fantasy in a way I totally appreciate. Magic exists, the people that are aware of it take it for granted, s
Free Kindle download.

Cute, quirky, not laugh-out-loud funny, but still funny, and the premise is certainly unusual — this book was refreshing for me after reading a very sad book. I didn't know what to expect except something light, and that's exactly what I got. The writing is clever and quick, with a lot of things going on at once — so I can see why some people thought it was disjointed; personally, I think they were just not paying attention.

On the other side of things, though, I thought the
Ha ha, this was a quick, light-hearted fun and sexy read, perfect for when you've had your Christmas holiday ruined by an ill-timed, evil cold from Hell. Found it on sale at the BookView Café. Not sure I'd really appreciate it all that much if I'd had to pay lots of money for it and hadn't had my head full of horrible goo and no attention span for more demanding things.
I struggled through this book. What sounded like a funny, steamy sex-romp was really the tale of an unlikeable, unfunny, narcissistic, unsympathetic nympho of a heroine. To think this crap book has two more sequels coming out by the end of the summer?

If that isn't bad enough, there is some sort of disconnect. Like why in modern day Chicago are the people not allowed to say "MAGIC"? A little backstory would've been nice. Instead I got dropped in a world where magic is replaced with the term "hink
I gave this book 2 stars.

1) I liked the idea that someone could be "trapped" in a bed. Cursed or whatever, Kewl idea
2).the ending wasn't complete crap. It *almost* came together.

It was denied the other 3 stars because

3) what the heck is the pink stuff?!? Mostly it was just annoying and hard to visualize
4) the whole world concept was very difficult to visualize and mostly I didn't care
5) I didn't care about most of the people. The co-workers were terrible and jewel had serious "issue". Kinda m
The first in a series by Syevenson. Jewel is a fraud detective in a police department. She finds Clay, a con-man, whose latest scam is pretending to be a sex therapist who sells women time in a big brass bed. Randy, a sex demon, who is trapped in the bed, is the real reason for Clay's success. Jewel frees Randy but also finds herself attracted to Clay. By the end of the book Randy is living with Jewel and Clay is her new partner.
The writing was good but I wouldn't put it on my "favorites" list.
Quirky, sassy, funny read! Excited to start the next in the series.
too crude and too much language.
Patricia Solla
This is the first book of a trilogy written by the author. As a first book it's introduction of the main characters is kind of strange. It's also an odd storyline. The development of the characters and the storyline is rather poor. There's no resolution to the end of the book as it continues in the next book. There's just something off about this book (and I bought all three books because it seemed interesting in the blurbs on the back of the book)
I had a hard time with this book. I picked it up and put it down more than once. Normally these light books are ones I pick up and read through in one sitting (they're not very long), but this one took me a while. It was hard to get into because there wasn't any back story... I have the second and third ones because it was buy 2 get one free at Barnes and Noble so I got all three at once, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to reading the other two.
Jennifer writes an engaging, funny, touching and very sexy book. I dont think anyone has ever done half the things her characters have, but then not many of us are sex demons.
This is the first of a series and I can assure you I booked the next one through the library as soon as I finished this one. These are characters and setting and story lines that have got me interested.
Very much recommended.
Rich Bynum
This book, the first in a series as it turns out, follows a Department of Consumer Services enforcement officer in a somewhat magical Chicago as she investigates what she believes to be a fraudulent sex therapy scheme. The sex part is definitely real. This book is a riot, and it includes some really imaginative magically enhanced sex scenes. I would recommend this highly to adults with a sense of humor
This series had so much promise, could have been so much more. Sadly, while Stevenson's intentions were good, her execution didn't pan out so well. From strange events that just made me shake my head to a love triangle that didn't feel like it had much love in it, I was left cold. Why did I finish all three books in the series? I think I was hoping that it would get better from there. It didn't.
Got this free on kindle. Thank goodness. This book was horrible. One minute the main character is bragging to herself about how she treats men and how they react to her and the next she's with her girlfriends and thinking to herself is she the only one who feels bad about how she treats men. Well which is it? In the end I didn't care. Bad book with bad characters and bad writing.
While the storyline and plot for this book was good, it really was not a good read. The author did not give any history as to the "hinkey" in Chicago, the history of the characters nor did she go into the relationships of the main character and her co-workers. As for romance this was dull. Overall, I finished only because I had to see if it would improve... it didn't.
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • Haley's Cabin
  • Snowbound
  • Single Witch's Survival Guide (Jane Madison Academy, #1)
  • 72 Hours (Devlin Group, #1)
  • Bound for the Holidays (Ties That Bind, #1)
  • Paradox
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • Male Call  (Hot Zone #1)
  • Lessons in Love
  • DemonFire (DemonSlayers, #1)
  • Speed Dating (Harlequin NASCAR, #2)
  • Her Wiccan, Wiccan Ways (Rhiannon Godfrey, #1)
  • Once A Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • The Twelve Lies of Christmas (Sophie Green Mystery, #0.5)
  • The Christmas Bus
I started swimming at 40, riding horses at 42, roller derby at 52, speed skating at 54 ... something's backward there. Read about my latest bruise at

I've been writing since I was four, and didn't publish a story til I was 34 ... something's backward there too. Read about my latest books at

Living my life backwards mea
More about Jennifer Stevenson...

Hinky Chicago (5 books)
  • The Velvet Chair (Jewel Heiss #2)
  • The Bearskin Rug (Jewel Heiss #3)
  • The Hinky Genie Lamp (Hinky Chicago)
  • A Taste Of You
Trash, Sex, Magic The Velvet Chair (Jewel Heiss #2) The Bearskin Rug (Jewel Heiss #3) A Taste Of You King of Hearts (Backstage Boys #1)