The Way to Love

The Way to Love

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Profound love is at the heart of this warm, compassionate collection of meditations by spiritual master Anthony de Mello -- a last inspiring gift to the countless readers whose lives he touched.
Published August 31st 2011 by Image (first published 1991)

Jeff Maziarek
Anthony DeMello is my favorite spiritual teacher, so I'll admit to having a bit of bias in his favor. This is a nice little book with lots of wisdom shared in DeMello's usual frank, no-nonsense style. Here's one of my favorite quotes from it:

“Whenever you are insecure about what may happen in the future, just remember this: In the past six months or one year you were so insecure about events which when they finally came you were able to handle somehow. Thanks to the energy and the resources that...more
Christopher Maricle
If you read Anthony de Mello, you will find yourself nodding. And then you will have to read it again. The concepts can challenging, because it's not your typical Christian spirituality. de Mello will make you face the hardest questions about your one needs, fears, motives and beliefs. And it will change you.
Mary
This is a little book espousing a life with no suffering. It teaches that we suffer because we attach our identity to things that we cannot control and are only concepts. Buddhist-like teaching mixed with Christianity.
Paul
May 16, 2010 Paul marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Meditative, contemplative readings that I ponder as I drift off to sleep each night. This book was recently given to be by a wise and gentle soul I know and admire.
Melinda
This is one of those books that just helps you get perspective. It is done in short chapters that reflect on the meaning of a scripture verse, but does not preach a sermon. It's more about how to see everything for what it really is - not what it has become for us through the influences of our culture or other relationships. Anthony De Mello was a thinker who cut through so much of what we assume we understand, but have not critically looked at.
Davis Aujourd'hui
I am always on the outlook for other spiritual authors. Anthony DeMello is one of my favorites. I have loved every single one of his books and I own most of them. He speaks in a language that anyone can understand. He empowers his readers to discover the truth that they can shape their own reality through the power of detachment from the things of this world that are not real.

He offers a key to the kingdom of heaven. It is a key that anyone can possess and can experience within their own lives....more
Jenny
Nov 10, 2008 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: just came across it
Shelves: nonfiction-read
What a neat book, really taking a hard look at myself and how to lead a more zen existence. The whole premise is to rid ourselves of attachments which we hold on to in order to achieve happiness. So, instead of saying "I need this in my life to be happy and I won't be happy until then," focus on existing in the present and finding fulfillment that way. Otherwise our needs and desires lead us in a cycle of disappointment. It was fun to read a chapter and a time and live with it for a while before...more
Don Geronimo
Aug 11, 2009 Don Geronimo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Don by: Lorna Rockey
The way to love symbolises an ideal: the ideal of loving everyone and everything in life the way that the LORD loves everything and everyone. Without attachment, without binding, without expectation, while humanity is imperfect (and I can attest through experience) this helps remind me that there is a better love out there. Not the kind of love that separates -- that separates love between a lover and a friend. Rather, the kind of love this book tries to cultivate is the love of all equally, wit...more
roland s
Melalui buku ini Anthony de Mello membawa kita untuk siap mencintai, dengan cinta yang bebas dan menghidupkan. Dengan kalimat-kalimat logisnya, ia membeberkan berbagai kelemahan kita dalam berhadapan dengan dunia, dengan orang-orang yang kita sayangi maupun dengan orang-orang yang tidak kita sukai.

Buku ini memberikan penjabaran logis mengapa kita harus menjadi manusia seutuhnya, menjadi manusia yang bebas dan merdeka dari segala sesuatu yang dapat mempengaruhi perasaan dan pilihan kita. Menjadi...more
Cathy
What a wonderful, incredibly challenging book. While very idealistic in many respects, it also forced me to look very closely at my life, my attachments, my "programming", and to take responsibility for my thoughts, feelings and actions. To truly love one has to first truly let go - of one's biases, one's prejudices, the need to be right, the need to be needed, one's fears, even one's ambitions and one's walls.

I will definitely read this book over and over again, in small doses, to try and let d...more
Lucy Vazquez
What a book. This scared and terrified the shit out of me on several occasions. What an astounding thing to do. I've read my share of books on spirituality, but for some reason, this one really got to me. Or maybe it's just the current stage I'm experiencing in my life. I was ready to hear and absorb the ideas/principles/etc it was trying to tell me. It has shaken me up. It has challenged every single thing I believe and hold true. I love challening my beliefs. I love deprogramming. I loved this...more
Widyarini
This pure, sincere observation about life can only be done by someone holy.
Read this with open heart and it will lead you to taste sweetness of enlightenment.
Most priests will interpret bible though what they learn in theology, through the ideas that lived in their mind for years planted by society and religion. De Mello is one of a kind priest.
I'm so grateful for him and his love.
Sylvia
I probably need to read this again - because of the size, this book came along with me for waits in airport terminals, a place and time when I might take offense because I'd spent hundreds of dollars to visit people I love and value. But in taking a step back and taking a look at my "attachments", I can see the author's point. He's accomplished his goal - I am re-evaluating myself.
Yulya Roesdy
The Way to Love by Anthony de Mello is truly inspiring. It is a book that can open your eyes to a different way of thinking and living. This book holds powerful thoughts and insights into love and life in general.
-Yulya Roesdy-
Lesley
Ok its recommended by me. Good way to end the day reading bits of this book. I got this book as a goodreads giveaway back in June and I put it on my shelf then went on vacation and forgot about it. This week i rediscoved it.
Amy Boyett
This book is by far one of my favorites of all time. It's a great spiritual guide, or just helpful to anyone looking for a different perspective on life.
Patrick
This was a big eye-opener at the time. It's too bad De Mello isn't still around, as I'd like to see his commentary on current affairs.
Rachel
I love these little meditations; so nice to read and re-read whenever you have a spare moment and think about throughout the day.
Patrick
I hate to admit it, being a card-carrying atheist; but this little book by a Jesuit, no less, is a life-changer.
Beryl
The book I carry with me in my purse. All you need to know about spirituality by a master.
Diane Goeke
A good read if you want to read for about 15 minutes before you go to sleep.
Donna
Dec 11, 2008 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking to overcome cultural norms
Recommended to Donna by: Gary and Katherine Ganger
My second favorite little book to study. (First is the Bible.)
Maggie
YAY! we have Anthony de Mello's faith and words to guide us. *whew*
Mark LaPorta
can be read in very short times. Inspiration and insight.
Mikedelponte
"You're already happy, you just don't know it yet."
David
great! Worth taking slowly and pondering each page.
Jody
This book is very inspiring, filled with wisdom.
Tammy Williams
How to see life and let others be.
Nick
The way to happiness is letting go.
Shirleyhen
It comes in pocket size...for a reason.
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Your Soul's Plan: Discovering the Real Meaning of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born
  • Here and Now: Living in the Spirit
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening
  • Saksi Mata
  • The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations
  • Emotional Wellness: Transforming Fear, Anger, and Jealousy into Creative Energy
  • Sacred Space: Clearing and Enhancing the Energy of Your Home
  • Initiation
  • Happier Than God (HB): Turn Ordinary Life into an Extraordinary Experience
  • Canting
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Gospel in Brief
  • Teachings of the Buddha
Anthony de Mello was a Jesuit priest and psychotherapist who became widely known for his books on spirituality. An internationally acclaimed spiritual guide, writer and public speaker, de Mello hosted many spiritual conferences.

The few talks which he allowed to be filmed, such as "A Rediscovery of Life" and "A Way to God for Today," have inspired many viewers and audiences throughout the United St...more
More about Anthony de Mello...
Awareness The Song of the Bird Doa Sang Katak 1: Meditasi Dengan Cerita One Minute Wisdom Sadhana